Truck Reviews HPC Best Books of the Month Men's slip on sneakers nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Always ad-free. Learn more. PCB for select Bang & Olufsen Fire TV Stick Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Kids Edition Echo Dot Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now STL18_GNO

on March 10, 2014
This is an amazing deal, in my opinion. Bathtub style floor, factory sealed seams, small windows to allow privacy, an extensive rain fly with large vestibule area (actually has two vestibules), strong aluminum pole system, quick and easy to set up, and DEFINITELY waterproof.

First off, when it first arrived, i was happy to know it's not all that heavy, and it actually doesn't take up that much room in your pack either. There was some less-than-desirable weather coming in, so i set it up right away to see how well it would hold up in the elements.

The pole system is sufficient, if not impressive; all the poles are shock-corded (and not fiber glass, thankfully), and they snap right into place very easily. I even held the poles up in the air and shook them really hard to see if they would pop out... they held in place very well.

The clip system makes setting the tent up a breeze. Very simple and easy for someone to set the tent up quickly. And they can't come off by themselves either. When i first saw the clips, I was afraid that they would slip off in the 65mph winds in the days ahead. But I've never seen a tent hold up so well. It was taking everything mother nature was throwing at it that week.

The rain fly is really big. Bigger than the tent. The vestibules provide a nice space for a lot of things. It's very handy because you can use one vestibule as an entrance and boot/gear storage, and use the other one for a space to cook with a stove if the weather proves to be too harsh for an open fire. But, the thing i really like most about the rain fly is it's not a cheap little piece to put over your tent.... this thing meets expectations. It keeps out water very well. Along with the 4 days of ~65mph winds, there was constant heavy downpour. The only moisture in the tent came from condensation and any water that might have fallen inside when i opened the door due to the rain falling sideways. This tent/rain fly combo is definitely waterproof enough for the oregon coast in the middle of a storm.

It retains heat well too, with just enough ventilation to let it slowly air out. I was able to stay warm for the most part in 40 degree weather and below, wearing nothing but a t-shirt and sweatpants. It actually gets really hot in there sometimes. Especially if it's a sunny day, you definitely want to let it air out.

This tent also sleeps 2 people comfortably, or 1 person with a lot of gear.

Honestly, I couldn't find anything I disliked about this tent. It met all my expectations, plus more. Some people might find it as a drawback that the tent doesn't come with a footprint, but i always found just laying a tarp down underneath it, making sure it's not sticking out from the sides of the tent, works just great. And if you treat this tent well, and don't bang it around, and treat it with care, it'll treat you well in return. I'm glad to know this will be my shelter for the next couple of years.
One person found this helpful
on October 17, 2009
I was looking for a tent for myself and my son to go camping with his Boy Scout troop. I looked at the traditional "A" frame type that the Boy Scout purists recommend. But in the end I decided I wanted a more modern design after reading the pros and cons of the A frame tents.
The Vertex is a very nice tent. It has enough room for two adults. I bought an Intex full size inflatable mattress for it. Its width is perfect for the tent. And the mattress leaves a little extra room at the end of the tent for stuff. Of course the mattress lifts you 8 inches off the ground, so using it does reduce the space between you and the tent ceiling but it works fine. If you have an extra $100, maybe a highend camping pad would be best. If you need lots of room for stuff, I would probably go with a three man size tent. But for what I need, it is enough room. There are mesh pockets in the tent and there are holders in the tent to hang stuff in a provided mesh bag.
The set up is very easy. You lay the tent on the ground. Then you assemble the aluminum tent poles. They pretty much assemble themselves because they are shock corded together. You lay the X assembly of the poles on top of the tent. Then you just place the 4 ends of the poles into the grommet on each corner of the tent. Then you just clip the tent to the poles. You see, when you place the pole ends into the tent grommets on the corners, the poles bow upwards and create the skeleton for the tent. By attaching the tent clips to the poles, the tent raises up. Once assembled, the tent can be lifted and moved around if you dont stake it down.
One person can put this tent together quickly. Its nice not to have to slide tent poles thru sleeves on a tent. The clips are just too easy. I put the rain fly on. You just lay the fly on the tent and clip the buckle on each corner of the fly to each corner of the tent. It takes seconds. I cant give an opinion on how well the fly works but from what I have read, the fly should be quite waterproof.

I did buy a cheap tarp at Lowes to place on the ground under the tent. You dont want to over stress tent floors. Better to cover the ground with the tarp and place the tent on top of the tarp. Also, one more thing. When I bought this tent, I bought it for my son and I. But I also plan for it to make a good backpacking tent for him when he's a teen and camps with his troop but not dad. Its not a very heavy tent.
26 people found this helpful
|22 comments|Report abuse
on October 25, 2010
My wife and I are avid geocachers ([...]) and we were looking at getting a quality tent to do overnighter in during longer cache hunts. I am military and have spent a good deal of time freezing to death in military tents so I wanted to get something that would survive colder areas as well. After doing a ton of research I finally decided to purchase the ALPS Vertex 2AL tent. I haven't put it through a field test yet but after setting it up for the first time I can say that this is a top notch tent. The shock corded single pole system is fantastic and makes setting up the tent a breeze... I do worry that the plastic clips which secure the tent to the pole might break, but they haven't shown any stress though I would have preferred them in aluminum. The tent comes nearly complete, I added a 60" x 90" ALPS floor saver which really is a must since the tent's floor seems a little thin although I was comfortable with my dog walking around in it. It's good sized for a two man, though it would really only fit one man a dog and gear if you were not using the fly vestibules (which are adequately sized)... I had it set up in the house and with the fly in place and the doors and windows zipped up it only took a short couple minutes before it was uncomfortably warm inside the tent which leaves me confident it will fight out the bitter cold. The guy lines attach at logical areas and the fly is about an inch and a half spaced from the tent so it should stay dry inside the tent no matter what weather nature throws at it. The floor rises about 2 and a half inches off the ground, so with proper placement you should stay dry if the tent area were to flood (though gear in your vestibules won't have this protection). Lastly, the whole tent collapses quickly and stores easily. It may be a bit too large to use as a backpacking tent for the average hiker although I am a larger gent with ruck marching experience (6' 230, All my equipment in hand I weighed in over 450 in Ali Al Salem) and don't think it will be much of an issue for me or others in similar situations. I just wished ALPS offered color options on their flys. I will update with this tents cold weather performance this winter. Thanks for reading.
6 people found this helpful
|22 comments|Report abuse
on July 21, 2012
This tent provides the same quality and features that are comparable to ANY other three-season I have seen only without the hefty pricetag.

I bought this tent about 3 years ago and have had the opportunity to try it in a variety of conditions. This was the first tent that I bought for the express purpose of backpacking. I was a bit skeptical at first given the low price, but the product turned out to be fantastic. Yes, it is light enough to backpack with, although it is definitely on the heavy side if you plan on carrying it solo. The tent is well built with durable floor material, tight seam construction and quality craftsmanship. So far the only issue has been a sticky zipper.

As far as performance goes, this tent meets or beats any of the big brand name tents from north face, etc at a third the price. Easily withstood a strong thunderstorm in Bandolier Natl. park despite an inch of hail and 2 inches of rain. The bathtub floor design kept my gear dry even though the tent was in several inches of standing water. I even brought this tent to a high alpine site on the approach to Long's Peak in Rocky Mountain Natl park. While the tent had definitely reached its limit here, it did not break and provided shelter from the 60 mph winds. Outside of these extreme examples the tent also performed well on routine excursions from weekend trips to 40 miles on the continental divide trail.

The fact that this tent has withstood all of the abuse I have thrown at it but is still in good condition is a testament to the quality of the product. Its good to finally see a company like ALPS that can provide a superior tent at a price that allows everyone to participate. Highly recommend
3 people found this helpful
on August 16, 2010
The tent is the best that I've ever owned. I bought this back in april 2010 for $109.09. I have been able to use it on multiple backpacking trips in the White Mountains of New Hampshire. I love it. Its very durable and compact. The Aluminum poles are very strong. A lot better that than the fiberglass rods of other tents. The fabric is very strong yet light. The zippers are large and don't get jambed or hung up. I use a small tarp under mine to protects it from tears and cuts. A tarp or foot print is highly recomended. Setting up is very quick and easy. All the rods are connected as one piece and you just need to position the rod ends at the tent corners. Then all you have to do is raise and clip the tent to the support rods. The rainfly is easy to put on and is great at keeping out water. It clips to the tents 4 corners and the vestibules flaps are staked down. The vestiblues are perfect for keeping your damp smelly boots or other gear outside to free up space inside the tent. This is a small two person tent. Ive used it with just myself and my 90L backpack, another person could fit with gear but It would be very tight. For something a little larger I would go with the Alps Mountaineering Vertex 4 tent.
5 people found this helpful
|11 comment|Report abuse
on September 11, 2013
I wanted a tent that had less mesh area and is better insulated in the colder months, but is still able to air out in the summertime with mesh windows. This is just the tent for the job. It sets up in minutes with the single-pole system, and it stays bone dry in even the worst conditions (Note: I have yet to test in heavy snow, but since it's not technically a four-season, I'd say be smart and don't let snow weight compromise the integrity of the poles and you'll be good). It's deceivingly larger than I thought it would be, and although I bought it for just myself, my girlfriend and I could sleep quite comfortably with that added headroom. The dual doors are nice with two people too. Vestibules are the perfect size for 1-2 people to stow boots/packs etc.

I'm not sure if they're discontinuing the Vertex 2 as it was sold out/unavailable in other places, but I highly recommend you get this tent if you still can. Grab the 5X7.6 foot floor saver while you're at it and this tent should last a while. Happy camping!
on March 29, 2012
After looking at a lot of tents, I decided on this one because of the reviews, price, and design. I just set it up in my living room and it goes together pretty quick. Don't expect detailed instructions. The aluminum poles are very stiff and naturally spring assembled because of the shock cord. Each floor corner has two metal grommets for the poles to insert. There are two so you can adjust the stiffness of the tent. There is also a small screen with four hooks that clip onto the ceiling inside the tent for whatever items you want hanging. The fly clips to each floor corner and has small velcro straps on the inside to attach to the poles. It also has loops at the bottom for stakes. The guy lines are kind of short. I might have to get longer ones. I don't like the clear windows on the fly. I like privacy. So I might use some black electrical tape or something to cover them up. I'm also gonna get a tarp for the floor. It is very thin. Zippers seem to perform well with no snagging. Overall, pretty cool tent.
2 people found this helpful
on October 15, 2012
Looked at many tents in this range - i.e. $150 or less. ALPS is great balance in value / quality. It was super easy to set-up, and tearing down really simple. It actually fits back into the bag without much effort. Really spacious as well, adult plus two children fits really easy. This is a true 3 season tent, very snug in 45 degree weather.

ALPS seem to know what they are doing when it comes to outdoor equipment, plus life-time warranty, can't beat that.

Only things I would have liked, would have been more loops to peg down the fly sheet, specially in high-winds.
2 people found this helpful
on February 9, 2011
I purchased this tent after doing a ton of research... I knew what I was getting and it was what I expected. I used this tent on a little 2 night camping trip in January, it was cold (in the high 20's) at night. This tent had the largest square footage that I saw for the great price. I like the rectangle shape, it dose not have a lot of wasted space like a geodesic design does. This tent also has pretty spacious vestibules although they could be larger. I camped on some wet ground and there was no moisture wicking through the floor. I had 2 people and 2 medium sized dogs in the tent, it was cramped but very warm and okay for the short amount of time we were out. The tent is pretty light and can be used for a backpacking trip (which i will do with this tent during the summer). The set-up is pretty easy all the poles are attached. With a 2' or so section across the top then the 2 down poles on each side are mated using a triangle (like a upside-down Y). The poles snap in nice and tight and are aluminum (which helps with the tent's light weight). I hope this review helps, I will try to write up another review on the backpacking experience if I see some interest. Thank you.
13 people found this helpful
on April 26, 2012
Got this to replace a very old Eureka Timberline. It is a roomy 2-person tent with a great fly, 2 doors and vestibules and aluminum poles. The poles are shockcorded into one big piece which makes for quick and easy unfolding/folding and is very durable. The tent clips to the poles and the fly sits over the top. With the optional footprint you can have a tent with foot print and fly, tent with footprint and no fly, or just fly and footprint for those warm dry nights. In the rainy NW We leave the fly and footprint up when breaking camp and can pack everything under the protective canopy of the fly. It is roomy, we have had 2 people with our 65L packs inside with little trouble (though a bit tight) If you store packs under the vestibules you have room to stretch out without laying on top of each other. It is not all mesh like a lot of 3 season tents, so you do need to know how to vent properly to keep condensation from creating an indoor rain forest, but that should be a basic skill for all hikers anyway. Stands up to heavy rain and wind well, and has even weathered some late spring snow storms with no trouble. It does pack a bit big and heavy, but you can mitigate that by splitting the weight between your party.
|0Comment|Report abuse

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.
See 1 answered question