Industrial Deals Beauty Silent Corner STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Book House Cleaning Paterson Paterson Paterson  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Final Fantasy XIV Shop Now toystl17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 795 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 869 reviews
on May 24, 2016
I've been using this product (with refills) for two years. My cat loves this kitty grass. I posted a review in 2014 but I wanted to update with some things I've learned since using it. First, I find that using all the seeds at once makes it too compact and dense and I think that promotes mold. So I get two plantings out of one refill of seeds. I don't use the inside container with the 4 compartments. I use the interior liner under the 4 squares; save it and use it a 2nd time. This allows the grass roots to spread out in the dirt and last longer. Also I think that using all the seeds squeezed into the 4 compartments promotes the mold that some users have mentioned. I do have to supplement the soil (the 4 pellets are only good for one planting) on the 2nd planting.

I've been using the original wood box for two years, still going strong.
I buy the refills and use one refill for two plantings.
I toss the 4 compartment container.
I use the fill size liner twice (use my own soil for 2nd planting.
I use half the seeds for each planting.
The cat and I are both happy with this system.
on January 4, 2016
I have grown a lot of cat grass over the years. A LOT. I bought this in hopes of solving 2 issues - 1) Giving my cat a heavy base to eat grass from (he is a puller, not a chewer, which results in most cat grass plantings being pulled out, dirt clump and all) and 2) having a reusable and (if I were lazy) easily refilled planter of known quantity and/or purchaseable item.

First, the little plots to grow your grass are, well... SMALL. Cat grass of any kind is known for fast, long roots. Small planting areas like this - 4 pockets that are ~2"x2.25" - get root bound VERY easily, which means the cat grass is going to die/need replacing very quickly. Probably designed that way, I'm sure!

As others have mentioned, there was a strange type of fungus/mold/fuzz that started early on. I saw just a little bit in the dirt at about day 2, with quite a bit more on the root system (that was already growing out the drip holes) by day 4. Never really made a full appearance top-side until day 10, but the grass was already dead and no longer growing - whether it's due to the mold or due to the grass being root-bound, I'll likely never know. When I planted the seeds, I diligently ensured each type of seed (they are segregated in the package) went into its individual plot, to see if any one grew better/worse than another, or if any type had more problems. Each seemed to grow equally well, but I would say it was either the oats or the rye that started the fuzz (I placed the label under neath the plastic liner, with the names corresponding to the seed locations... but the plastic planter may have gotten turned around.)

I'm giving this a 2-star rating as opposed to a 1-star rating, because I will likely keep the base, which actually didn't topple over a single time while my cat chewed things up. However, I won't be buying any of the refill kits, and I wouldn't buy this again if you threatened me. Instead, I've spent a few days trying to find a small bag of potting soil in Ohio in the middle of winter, and I'll plant some human-food-grade cat grass (wheat grass) that I bought instead.
on September 4, 2015
Our cat venom loves it. I followed all the instructions and it grew in 1week.
on April 10, 2011
I purchased the "SmartCat Kitty's Garden" original and an extra refill. The product performs as advertised, producing grass my cat loved and voraciously consumed. This is a good product; however the growing space is limited to 4 small pockets and the grass does not last very long due to the root system becoming "root-bound"; thereby choking any chance of long-term growth. Because of this fact, I decided to order Cat-Grass, Sweet Oats and other seeds in "bulk" and plant them myself...so as to have plenty and sustained growth over a longer period of time.

HOW TO: (1.)Select a receptacle, which has good drainage, and is about 3 to 4 inches deep. A square shape is best so that your cat can't tip it over or push it. (2.)Fill the receptacle with dirt or peat mixture. (3.) Spread and plant the new seeds about 1/8 to 1/4 inch deep ... making certain that every seed is covered with dirt. "Lightly pack the dirt" ... don't press hard... allow the shoots access to grow. (4.)Water... (not soak)... and cover the container with a clear plastic...(like a big Baggie or Dry Cleaner's plastic bag). (5.)Be sure to use a "fork" to poke about 30 to 40 small vent holes in and round the plastic. This creates a "Hot House" effect and prevents mold. (6.)Place container where it will receive good, strong sun-light during the day and not freeze at night. In about 5 to 7 days you should experience growth.

Let your Cat have at the grass when it reaches about 3 inches in length. I lightly spray with water and re-cover the grass with plastic every other day or so to stimulate growth and peak my cat's interest. When grass no longer grows... and this will vary according to your planting and care methods... simply use new soil and replant the grass by following the above instructions. The good thing about buying in "bulk" is that you can experiment with different growing methods and not lose money while doing so...Good Luck!!

Good "Bulk" buys Amazon.Com are:Catgrass (Sweet Oats for Cats) 1,000 Seeds Bulk and: Ferry-Morse 1985 Organic Catgrass Seeds, Monida Oats (16.5 Gram Packet)
on December 29, 2015
I am giving up on this product after consistent moldy growing results. I bought this product three times now to use in their wooden container and each time the grass gets about 2" high, it starts to mold at the soil. The directions say to use a certain initial amount of water in each compartment to expand the soil pellets, but it is too much. I used less water this last time hoping that would do the trick, but nope. The soil was actually dry, grass was growing well, but still turned into a moldy mess that I don't want my cat around. I'm no expert, but I believe it's either due to expired seeds or bad soil. Coming from a cheap product made overseas I wouldn't doubt both. I gave it two stars only because it does germinate well and my cat loves it. I will keep this last plastic container and just buy different soil and seeds.
on May 31, 2016
This was so easy to grow! It grew quick and was ready to eat within a week!! We got this for our big ol'guy who is 15 years old. He is always trying to eat anything hair like, string like or plant like so we thought this would grab his attention instead AND be good for him! He LOVES IT!! So much we had to hide it from him for a bit to make sure he didn't eat it all up at once till it grew more! Our other cat could care less about it but we didn't think that cat would want it. The cat we got it for is the one that loves it so it's great! If you have a cat like ours that likes to chew on or try and eat hair, string and plants then get this for them!

The container it came in is not only cute it's actually really nice and solidly built!
review image review image review image review image review image review image
on January 2, 2017
I purchased 2 in error and then realized I can't return the other one. OK this was my fault but I am disappointed so dropped my rating from 5 stars to 3.

My complete review below is quite lengthy, so the end result is I recommend throwing away the pod system and growing it from the large tray that was provided. I increased my review from 3 stars to 4. I would have given it 5 stars if I had not had to figure out the problems myself.

I love the base, cute, very sturdy and has high quality rubber stoppers. I am very confident neither of my cats will be able to push it off of the table as they have done with the plastic trays I have been using.

I have now read the negative reviews and am concerned about the mold and bugs that were mentioned. I checked the pods the next day and found the dirt was too wet. I do well with growing plants so identified this as a potential problem. I lifted the pods and the drip pan had way too much water in it. I had followed the planting directions using a measuring spoon to ensure I put the correct amount of water. I would recommend checking the drip tray after watering to be sure there is no standing water. I have removed the pods from the tray and will keep it in my sink to see if the dirt will dry out a bit. I will be watching it closely for the bugs and mold that others have mentioned.

2nd part review.
The pods were still retaining too much water, I could see a little mold had started to grow and very little growth of the seeds. There were some strong roots that had sprouted from the bottom of the pods so I knew it was not a problem with the seeds. I decided to forgo the small pods and utilize the large square tray instead. I poked holes in the bottom of the large tray for drainage, wrapped a few large rubber bands around the ridge of the bottom of the tray to help with drainage (I used the 2nd large tray from the 2nd order that I had received, but assume the plant base would have been sufficient) . I removed the molding spots. I added some of my own potting soil (miracle grow) and placed the dirt pods into the large trays. I checked twice daily, added water as needed and removed any water that had drained into the bottom pan. After a couple of days, the seeds have sprouted beautifully with no mold, there are some brown strands of grass, I assumed the brown strands were not a different type of grass so plucked them out.

I hope this helps.
on August 15, 2015
My cat throws up a lot, either from hair balls or from a generally upset stomach so I figured giving cat grass a go might be an inexpensive way of trying to help my poor Bubba out.

To be clear, cat grass is actually generally helpful....just not this particular one.

I should have seen the signs when the first shipment of this came to me without the seeds, without the plastic packaging lid, and without the dirt pods.....but I didn't. Which is why I contacted Amazon who so graciously sent me another one via same-day delivery without any kind of hassle at all! The second one then arrived with only two out of the four dirt pods but it at least had the seeds so.... Our journey began!

....a week ago!....

So here's what I learned. Because I only got two dirt pods (which I believe are Peat moss), I put some miracle grow potting soil in the other two cavities. The peat moss ones actually grew about four inches within the last week, but they are also super prone to the white fungus that over-humidified seeds tend to get while germinating. (This is what I assume people are calling mold.) So far the seedlings haven't been killed by the fungus but I've murdered so many plants in my lifetime that I'm assuming it'll happen within another week.

The two that have the miracle grow in them have far FAR less sprouting, but they also only have a couple of flecks of the fungus.

Now I'm willing to take some of the blame for the fungal issues since I'm pretty sure I over-watered a bit when I planted the seeds but....with the fact that even after two deliveries of the same product I never actually got the whole thing, nor are the seeds growing particularly well.....this one's not really a winner. In planning on giving it a couple more days mostly as a science experiment, but after that I'm just going to use the spare planter I now have for the pet links nibblelicious cat grass seeds I've also got. I have a feeling they'll fare far better.

Edited about a week later: Well, about a week later the mold has actually set in, and it's not just the white fungus. Now there's actually green mold growing between the now semi-flourishing grass. I think the real problem is the planter itself, which offers no drainage. I have not watered these at ALL since the initial planting, and the soil is still moist, which means that the water is just sitting there.... letting the spores incubate super well. I'm changing my rating from two stars to one, since honestly the only thing it had going for it was how sturdy the base of the planter was and now even the planter is kind of rubbish.

Second edit, a couple weeks later still: I can't believe I'm about to say this.... But this cat garden gave us fruit flies. I just... I don't even.... How?!?!? I realized that there were a ton of fruit flies around the garden after my last review, and on that day I decided to throw away the whole lot and set out some apple cider vinegar + dish soap traps. That was a couple of weeks ago, and we're STILL dealing with the problem. We've only got maybe a dozen of them flying around our entire house now, but until I realized it was the planter that they had originated from somehow, we probably had about 30 per room. It was horrible.

This is possibly the worst thing I have ever bought on Amazon. Heed the warnings!!! They're all true!!!
on May 23, 2015
My inside male cat has taken to bolting outside and seems to be heading for the mondo grass on the patio. My daughter suggested I get some grass for him to chew on and I read the reviews.... Love the cute box this comes in and easy directions had the seeds spouting in hours and long enough for him to eat in about 4 days- as you can see by the picture, he absolutely loves it. He seemed disinterested at first but I trimmed a few pieces in front of him and I think he smelled it and started grazing-that is when I snapped this picture. I highly recommend-
on October 4, 2016
I have three of these boxes for my apartment kitty. One in the bedroom, living room and kitchen. He is obsessed with cat grass and I have been buying refills for these boxes for a couple of years. Once you get the hang or it and don't over water the seeds, you rarely get mold. The grass only lasts a week or two, so I always have another one in the works. They keep him very happy - he feels like every room has a little garden spot for him to munch on.

Unfortunately, I just got a notification from Amazon that they will no longer be sending my monthly subscription of refills! This is disturbing! Does that mean this whole line is being discontinued? I really hope not, its the best one out there and I have invested!