Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Merrick Texas Toothpicks Dog Treats, 5.5oz.
Amazon Vehicles Fall Reading 2016 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Joseph Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Snacks Totes Shop now Amazon Cash Back Offer conj2 conj2 conj2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

Size: 5.5 oz|Change
Price:$19.20+ Free shipping

on January 18, 2011
I have never posted a review before, but because I am such an animal lover, I couldn't help but warn any pet owners thinking of giving these treats to your babies. I was told these treats, Texas Toothpicks, are "safer and healthier alternative to rawhide" for dogs of all ages and sizes. My beloved dachshund, Tele, began vomitting blood this past Friday. I rushed her to the vet, and they immediately took her for x-rays, as they assumed she must have ingested something dangerous. There was a huge, pointed and jagged bone fragment lodged in her upper abdomen. They feared that the bloody vomit might be due to the stomach being punctured, so they needed to do emergency surgery to remove it before it did puncture the stomach or worse. It was also clear by the size and shape, that she would not be able to pass it naturally and safely, even if it wasn't lodged. Luckily, Tele is recovering so far, but it has been hell for me (and her, of course), especially considering I, as a loving parent, had given her this treat. So, after $2,000 in medical costs, the fear of almost losing my beloved Tele and 10-14 days of recovery for her, I urge you to reconsider Texas Toothpicks for your pets!
I have seen at least one other posting about this concern with bone fragments and their small breed dog. I wish I'd seen it beforehand, so hopefully my posting will help.
1414 comments| 194 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 11, 2011
Merrick's Texas Toothpicks Value Pack (6.5 oz bag)

From the first look the cow tails are very dry and stiff, look old and are dark in color. Besides those, when my dog started chewing on it, we saw that she is spitting out these bone fragments that she can not chew on. After examining the treat, I saw that the middle part of the cow tail is just like a bone. This is a very dangerous treat for specially small dogs like Multi-poos. I usually buy cow tails from my local pet shop and have never had such problem. The middle part is spongy and easy to chew. I do not recommend this product!!
33 comments| 59 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 5, 2012
Have been a trusting Merrick customer, but recently had bad experience. Our Cocker Spainiel loves to have a chew treat at night. Texas Toothpicks were our choice. Recently was wakened by him throwing up undigested "little bones." They looked like small finger bones (four in total), from a 1/2 to 1" long. Had no clue where they came from and thought he had eaten some animal (highly unlikely). After two vet visits to make sure no obstructions were present (there were not)... i disected some of the new toothpicks. Low-and-behold... the toothpicks are filled with these small bones. DO NOT GIVE THESE TREATS TO YOUR DOGS... ESPECIALLY SMALL BREEDS. Our Cocker male is 34 pounds. Stick with Bully Sticks... much more healthy and digests with no problems.
on April 29, 2008
I ordered 3 of these. I got 3 individual bags not 3 cases of 12 bags. I paid shipping on 3 cases 19 lbs what I recieved was not even 1 1/2 lbs. White Dog Bone claims the description means 12 texas toothpicks are in the bag. I think they are mad because when I ordered they had them listed at a significant discount and did not want to honor it. I filed a complaint with Amazon and they agreed with me.

The product itself is great. My dogs love them. I just wish that White Dog Bone was more concerned about customer service. They were very rude and refused to even talk to me exept to say that it was "Amazon's problem."
on September 27, 2006
I have 2 Pugs , male and female who both love this treat and keeps that busy for some time. When my vet did not reccommend the greenies I switched to these.
on March 5, 2015
My dogs love these Texas toothpicks by Merrick. We've been buying it about 5 years now. I noticed that Merrick has been removing the small tail bone that is on the tip of the toothpick (which is great because we would wait until our dogs came to the end and would throw it away). Our dogs love them.
on November 27, 2014
I am very disappointed at my Texas Toothpicks. The 12 bags I received are so small in size and circumference. The average length is approximately 3 inches long and 3/8th of an inch in diameter. Amazon needs to get a better supplier. Who can provide uniformity in this product. In the past the, the product is 6 to 7 inches long and at least 1/2 - 3/4 inch in diameter. I give one a day to keep my dog's teeth clean and gums healthy. Since the product has changed in size, they should be sold at a lower price, 'Mini' price!
on January 8, 2016
We have a dog that has a grain allergy, and a rather sensitive tummy. He loves Texas Toothpicks, and they don't upset his stomach. They only last about 5 minutes, obviously depending on your pup's dedication to chewing, and be aware of the end on some of them. They hide will not swell like rawhide will, but the little knots on the end can be harder to chew, and we sometimes need to take it away from our dog at that point so he won't try to swallow the whole thing. Nothing out of the ordinary though for any dog owners.
on March 7, 2015
These are one of our 2 senior dogs favorite treats! They are cheaper on Amazon than in our local pet stores, but they are still a bit pricey. They don't have much of a smell and our dogs eat them without causing a mess, so we can give them inside. They will occupy them for a little bit of time, but nothing significant. I wouldn't bother with them if you have agressive chewers; they will eat them far too quickly. I think at this pricepoint you would be better getting a more longlasting treat.
on September 10, 2015
My dogs loves these and I love them. They're made in the USA and don't have any extra ingredients. The vet recommended we stay away from bones and harder chews because they can cause chips and cracks in her teeth--so I give her these instead-they're much softer. I'm happy to say my dog's nine years old and her teeth are in great shape!