Amazon Vehicles Beauty Return your textbook rentals STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Limited time offer Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Book House Cleaning americangods americangods americangods  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 Kindle Oasis GNO National Bike Month on Amazon Ellen

Flavor Name: Turkey & Barley|Change

Showing 1-10 of 276 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 298 reviews
on August 19, 2013
Our 14 year old lab/great Dane stopped eating her science diet dry food. She was 90 lbs in her prime. She has spinal myelopathy(sp?), and she is down to 60 lbs. She couldn't afford to lose more weight. Her disease causes her to "poop", pardon my french, randomly, as she has no control over when and where. Science diet dry food always gave her nice, dry, compact poop that's easy to pick up and flush. I was hoping the canned would do the same.
She wolfed down two cans in the morning and two cans at night. The first day her poop was a little softer than normal, but by the second day, it was the good old science diet consistency.
She's not long for this world, but she's such a good dog. I'm so happy this is something she can and will eat, AND we can clean up after her easily.
We are on the subscription, saving 15%, and it's been a Godsend. Four stars only because its so pricey. Otherwise, a great product.
33 comments| 26 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 14, 2017
Too bad I won't be buying this from Amazon anymore. They just went up from $18.85 per case which was about $16.04 with the 15% autoship savings. But they decided to up the price to full retail ($22.99), not to mention hey now charge tax. Chewy is just find selling it to me for the lower price and no tax. They also package their can dog food with lids on them so the can't don't get bent. Not Amazon!

I like this Science Diet, because it's one of the few, including Turkey and Barley that is lower in salt. My dog has an enlarged heart and she requires a lower salt diet. The Science Diet h/d is almost $35 per case with the vet. So, all my dogs are now eating the Beef and Barley and the Turkey and Barley. They seem to really like it and I know it's lower salt content and plus lower fat. Overall I think Science Diet makes a good product.
VINE VOICEon May 21, 2013
My dog stopped eating his dry "crunchy" food. It may be related to his teeth. There's no way to tell. He was not enjoying his food unless it had something (oatmeal, fish oil, scrambled eggs) poured over the top of the "crunchy food". Even though he wasn't happy with the food, he was also gaining weight.

The veterinarian suggested that I might want to try this. It was a huge success. It's easy to just open a can and put it in his dish. It disappears almost instantly and he hints around that he wouldn't mind having more. He L-O-V-E-S this stuff!!! One drawback is, he wakes me up earlier, runs outside, and comes back in almost instantly because he's ready for breakfast. I'm happy to wake up early and get his breakfast for him because he's so excited about it, a new thing for him.

It has an acceptable turkey smell. The beef version smells pretty good too. I usually can't tolerate the canned food smell, but these work for me. They certainly work for Baron, my dog. It appears to be much more nutritious than what I had been giving him. All-in-all, this is a good solution for us.

EDITED to add that Baron's coat is now shiny. The veterinarian even took pictures of him because he has lost the excess flab and his arthritis is bothering him less than it had been. All-in-all, this has been a big winner for Baron. I recommend it!
on April 21, 2017
I've tried many dog can food and this one seems to be more of the lower quality side, even with higher price. My dog usually love their "gourmet day" (a day of 2 canned meals), but they are not excited about this one at all. Their demeanor really changed, which kinda amazed me cause my dogs eats and loves everything!

Anyway, maybe it's just not suitable for my dogs but the ingredients on this one is not all healthy too. So, I'm overall just very disappointed with Hill's Science.
on April 17, 2017
This is the only dog food my very senior dogs will eat (17 and 16 years old) and have healthy stools. I order regularly from Amazon since Petsmart no longer carries the product. However, my most recent shipment had extremely red-colored dog food and my dogs had extremely reddish poops. It almost looks bloody but I know it is the food. It looks completely different from what they have had in the past 17 years of their lives so I am concerned about what I am getting? is it the real food or a fake? Has something changed in the manufacturing? Has anyone else experienced or noticed this?
on December 31, 2015
My 13 year old German shepherd mix was on the ID diet for GI issues, and I was looking to transition her off into something cheaper. This is the same company that makes it, so it has a similar formulation. The price here is about the same as your local Petco or Petsmart most likely (at least here in AZ), but occasionally this goes on sale for $16-18, so we stock up.

Honestly, every dog is different in terms of what they like eating and what they can handle, so it's usually worth going to your local store, picking up a few different types, and seeing what they like. But I have no issues with this food and it works well with my dog.
on June 16, 2016
I order this for my 10 year old dog because I had previously used it for him in previous senior years, however I do think these are defected or made some where else other than the Petco or Petland sell. These have not only made my dog have diareaha and throwing up, I have used the ones from pet stores with no problems,with no side affects. I am very disappointed in the lack of quality and for the money I have wasted.
on March 14, 2017
ALL the cans were crushed. Everyone of them. We like the food and will continue to buy science diet products. We had trouble opening every single one of them. It looks like they were damaged in shipping. We have another case being delivered to us around march 27,2017. If the cans are damaged again we will no longer buy them with amazon.
on October 31, 2016
Ordered 2 cases - on Oct.11, 2016 and everything was fine! Came shipped to my door in 1 box -2 cases each shrink wrapped. My miniature breed dogs have been eating this food for 14+ years & my vet and I contribute there longevity to Science Diet. They get 1/2 can each per day plus they have a bowl of the Science Diet dry food which they nibble on throughout the day whenever they like. This has helped them to maintain their own weight throughout the years. I currently cannot order their food from Amazon and I'm not exactly sure why or when this will be corrected. I can assure you there was nothing wrong with the shipping or the food itself. Amazon please correct as soon as possible, love my girls food shipped to my door! Thank you, from my 🐶🐶🐶 and I!
on October 30, 2015
I only feed my dogs Hill's Science Diet.

For years, it has been the staple of my Cocker Spaniel's diets. I've moved to the wet food mixed in with the kibble to keep the weight on my 15 year old and he loves it.

Once your dog gets accustomed to eating Science Diet, they will look at you like you are crazy if you put anything else in their bowl. The few times I have ran out and purchased other food to get through the night, they will not eat it. I've never had a dog not live a long, healthy life eating Hill's as their exclusive diet, and recommend their products to anyone who truly considers their animals to be a part of their family, not just pets.