Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show Limited-time offer: All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Size: 6 qt|Color: Caribbean Blue|Change

Showing 1-10 of 5,419 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 5,994 reviews
on February 14, 2015
I'm not a picky person and it's very very rare for me to give a product 2 star!
I have to say I was very happy when I got this product. It looks just like my mom's big old Le Creuset Dutch Oven and it's much much cheaper.
The first two cooking experience (braise short ribs and made some casserole in oven with 375 degree) was nice, it worked fine and was easy to clean. But today when I brown chicken breast, I heard of a pop and the oven looks like as following pic.I promise I followed all the thing listing on the instruction, wash it by hand, never heat it when it's empty. So I only can say you got what you paid!
review image
2929 comments| 941 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
TOP 500 REVIEWERon February 19, 2017
I recently ordered three enameled dutch ovens from Amazon, and two of them were damaged as a result of very poor packaging. The dutch ovens were shipped with no padding or protection, and both ovens were chipped when they arrived.

The Lodge dutch oven was the only item which was packaged properly, and it arrived in perfect shape. However, in order to get that extra packaging, you must select the "Ship in Amazon Box" option at check-out!

It is not clear from the listing above, but if you look closely, below the ordering information, there is a small note stating that this item will ship in its original box. If you request an additional box at check out, Amazon will put the original package inside their own shipping box, with extra cushioning for protection. There is no extra charge for the additional box.

It is crucial to request this extra box. There are many customer reviews telling of Lodge dutch ovens that were damaged during shipping. With the extra box, my Lodge arrived very carefully packaged, and the pot was in perfect, pristine condition.

As for the Lodge Dutch Oven itself, I am very pleased with my latest addition. I have become devoted to dutch ovens, and I rarely cook with anything else. I now have four different brands, and each one is a different shape and size.

The Lodge dutch oven has lovely exterior enamel and the cast iron is a bit heavier than other models. The wide handles are the nicest I've seen. The oven performs beautifully and cleans up easily!

The 6 quart size is best for a larger family, or making meals with lots of leftovers. For a family of two, the 4.6 quart size would be a good choice, but it's actually more expensive than the 6 quart. If you don't mind the size and weight, the 6 quart is a better bargain.

Hope you will like your new dutch oven as much as I like mine, and hope it arrives in perfect condition!
review image review image review image review image
22 comments| 138 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 16, 2015
Enamel inside bottom chipped on the second use. Not happy, and lodge warranty does not cover chips in the enamel. $86.00 paper weight. Be aware of cheap products, I should have spent the extra money and bought le Creuset.
review image
44 comments| 211 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
I was skeptical about buying this because my other two cast iron pots are Le Creuset and Staub, and honestly, there is a certain snobbery with owning such pricey pots - I had to overcome my bias. I needed this middle size, and ALMOST bought a Staub, but then decided to go with this one just to see what I thought. I bought the red one. As soon as it came I washed it and braised a whole chicken in rosemary, pears, and leeks.

There is absolutely NO difference in the performance of this pan. In fact, it comes with the metal knob (I had to buy one for my Le Creuset) It's fantastic! Super heavy, white interior, no chips, no flaws in the enamel, and the lid fits perfectly. The sides of the pot slope slightly towards the bottom (unlike the other two pots, which have straight sides) which I find I prefer. The red of this pot very closely matches the red of my Le Creuset pot.

I like this pot so much I bought one for my daughter. I was prepared to open the box, inspect the pot, and send it back. Boy was I wrong.

Highly recommended. I will be buying another piece soon because I saved so much money on this one!
77 comments| 297 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 1, 2015
I should have listened to other people on the Amazon website and bought somewhere else. Outside package was not damaged but as soon as I opened the box there was green enamel all on the inside! So upsetting......
review image
44 comments| 254 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 19, 2015
I have returned to cast iron cookware after a hiatus; I really enjoy cooking with my Lodge skillets. The also double as the perfect surface to torch on for the Maillard effect after preparing food with the sou vide.

I always wanted an nice Dutch oven, but hesitated because of the cost of the Le Creuset and Staub brands; I though their extra cost indicated higher quality vs. Lodge. I always hesitated with Lodge because I thought the black rims and lid rims were exposed cast iron which was subject to rusting concerns like normal non-enameled cast iron. I’ve even read about how to season and seal those "exposed" rims. That seemed like an obvious differentiator between Lodge and the more expensive brands. So I held of, waiting to get the best.

I recently 'broke down' and bought the lodge and assured myself I would season those rims and keep them free of water to prevent rusting because I wanted a Dutch oven. I purchased three Lodge dutch ovens. While reading the manual (does anyone do this anymore?), I was pleased to discover the following:

“There is no exposed cast iron on your enamel cookware. The black cooking surfaces, pot rims and lid rims are matte porcelain.”

Fantastic! I am very happy with my Lodge Dutch ovens.
on October 24, 2007
Enamel on cast iron cookware like this, was, until recently, only available from makers like Le Creuset. Lately, several lower cost makers have come on the scene, like Target and Innova. The new budget priced Lodge cookware is in the same price range as the low cost alternatives but completely out performs them.

I have all of the brands I have mentioned. The Lodge is the same weight as the Le Creuset which is much heavier than the other budget models. The ridge where the lid and sides meet is a matt black porcelain on the Lodge and Le Creuset but is just exposed cast iron for the other budget models (which leads to rusting if you are not careful). The porcelain resists staining (even tomato sauces) in the Lodge and Le Creuset but the other budget models stain very easily. And finally, the Lodge and Le Creuset maintain a very polished interior finish that resists sticking which others do not. So, I see no performance differences at all between the Le Creuset and the Lodge whereas the comparably priced budget models are certainly inferior.

If you plan on using these pots very heavily (every day for example) you might want to upgrade to the higher priced Lodge product. It has 4 coatings of enamel as opposed to 2 in this model. But if you use them once or twice a week I dont think you will need the added wear resistance.
5150+ comments| 2,653 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 24, 2013
Although the item doesn't state it, Lodge replaced all their silly plastic lid knobs with steel ones... meaning they can be in a 500F oven! Yay!
22 comments| 112 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 7, 2015
This lovely pan that we very much wanted (thank you America's Text Kitchen for the testing and great review!) arrived damaged. There is no 5-stars or fewer system for damage. This is not a case of "we don't like it", but a situation where we could not keep it, and it is going back. So, the pan gets to keep the five stars. As for the packaging, how about one star? There was crush evidence in a flat part of the outer box. Then, no spacers, no padding, nothing to cushion the inner box. Damage in the same area of the inner box. That inner box did have fairly good bracing cardboard, to keep things steady, but whatever hit the outer box just telegraphed to the side of the lovely pan. First we saw a outer color chip sitting inside the pan. Then we checked the crush area, and the ceramic coating was gone, in two areas, at the rim and on the side. Darn it. We wanted to make soup. Well, not with this pan. And since I've not (yet) found a local source, we will probably order again. A UPS center once told me that no matter what we pack for shipping, we need to pack it so it will be okay if the heaviest package they allow manages to hit it. That would be 120 pounds these days. We hope they come up with a better way to pack these. Maybe sharing this with Lodge might help.
on December 27, 2015
Excellent except some of the enamel on the handles had chipped off before we even opened it. With additional wear, it continues to chip some here and there. Not a big deal, but definitely disappointing as it was for a gift.