Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: 1 cttw Black Diamond Stud Earrings 14k White Gold
Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer conj2 conj2 conj2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Kiss Rocks Vegas Shop Now STEM

Metal Type: white-gold|Change

on December 24, 2009
I love black diamonds, and have three pairs of earrings of different sizes, all bought online. I've noticed that several reviewers here were surprised that these 1cttw black diamonds are smaller than expected. Please note before you buy, so you don't end up disappointed:

-#1: These earrings are advertised as 1 CTTW, meaning 1 Carat TOTAL Weight. In other words, each stone is approximately 1/2 carat, for a total combined weight of 1 carat. As anyone who has bought jewelry online before can tell you, stud earrings are usually advertised this way.

-#2: Black diamonds are naturally denser than white diamonds, and therefore weigh more (about 1/3 more). Thus, a 1 ct black diamond will be approximately the same size as a 2/3 ct white diamond. Many online sellers provide the stone's diameter in millimeters as well as the carat weight. It would be very helpful if Amazon would list measurements on their stones as well, but until they catch on, just keep the weight difference in mind when buying black diamonds.

One more thing for those complaining about the price, I priced a pair of earrings similar to these at Boscov's this weekend, just to see how good a deal I got. Boscov's regular price on 1 cttw black diamonds in 14k gold was $799.00, but they were on sale for $391.00. Compared to that, Amazon's price is a steal, as long as you know what you're buying.

Those who do their homework beforehand are rarely disappointed with their purchases.

Happy Holidays!
55 comments| 185 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon September 21, 2007
These diamonds resembled faceted hematite which costs a fraction of this pair. Not at all what was expected; post was also bent when received.
UPDATE: I have since purchased black diamond studs which are gorgeous and far superior to these in construction and quality of the settings and the stones. Nice black diamonds are truly lovely, especially in white gold settings and I'd recommend getting at least the 1cttw to really show off the dark beauty. As with white diamonds, the closer in match of the pair, the better, and the pair I'd originally received were on all counts inferior stones as was the setting.
22 comments| 88 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 14, 2009
the black diamond stud earring are more than I expected. They have a rich look, and good shine.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon August 2, 2010
The stones are black, but unlike onyx, they are clear at their depths. Today, I went shopping around jewelry stores for 1cttw black diamond studs. I had these earrings in tow...for comparison. The average price for a 1cttw black diamond stud is 400. None of the earrings I saw were as sparkling as these. While many reviewers seem unhappy about these earrings's size, I'll tell you, all of the 1cttw studs I saw today, were smaller than these. Really. I was mildly shocked.

I don't know much about black diamonds, but I have learned they are denser than white diamonds. In appearance, they are quite a bit smaller than white diamonds of the same carat weight. On average, they are not perfect and under the loupe imperfections become obvious. My earrings do have some imperfections than can be seen when magnified, but the beauty and sparkle of these stones are not affected. The closest analogy I can make is: White clothing shows dirt and imperfections directly to the eye. Black clothing may not be pristine, but the beauty of the clothing is unaffected, and most often, the imperfections cannot be seen by the eye.

These are beautiful earrings. Highly reflective and sparkling. The 14k setting is sturdy and Amazon's price is fantastic....crazy good! They have their own unique beauty and really cannot be compared to white diamonds in size or grading. On the ears, the imperfections in these stones do not diminish their beauty. These are beautiful, black, sparkling beauties. I'm glad to have them. UPDATE: I get so many compliments on these earrings. Often, I'm asked; "What kind of stone is that?"
on January 12, 2009
I was very pleased with the earrings. You would be hard pressed to beat the price. We ordered some of these for my mother in law and a pair for my wife. The only thing to complain about was the pair for my mother in law did not come in a jewelery box and the pair for my wife did, weird but no big deal.
on February 25, 2012
Arrived with at least one overt defect: a scratch on the surface or an inner defect. Was hoping to get them just exchanged for an undamaged pair, but return policy said I could only get money back...which matters because then the price went up. I guess there is not quality control for this stuff? Weak sauce, amazon. weak sauce. If you order jewelry from amazon, you should probably have a gemologist friend to make sure you're not getting gypped...
on June 18, 2010
I knew that my wife looked at these earrings by the browsing history,so I thought I'd surprise her and order them for a gift. She was delighted,and they look very nice on her. (pat on back for me) I am not a jewelery expert,but I cannot see a thing wrong with them. They look very expensive,which they were not. Great deal on a beautiful pair of earings. I also upgraded shipping to 2nd day air. The earrings arrived at my door in 17hrs.from the time of ordering. AMAZING!! Thank you UPS and Amazon. I just might get lucky tonight.
on April 4, 2014
I was so excited when I ordered these and could wait to receive them and I have to tell you that after receiving them I am so disappointed. The earrings are pretty and although I knew from reading other reviews that because of the density of black diamonds that they are smaller than the advertised size but I didn't expect them to be this small. I ordered a total weight of 1 carat (.50 each diamond) and these appear to be about the same as .25ct each. I am glad that I didn't go any smaller because I would have ended up with diamond chips. I am debating on whether to keep these because I've been wanting them for a while but if I do keep them I will give these to my granddaughter who is just 4yrs old (they will make a nice size for her) and order me a larger set. Word of advise if you are looking for a nice size black diamond earring go with at least 2cttw, those might appear to be .50ct each.
on April 26, 2016
These seem smaller than the other pair of 1cttw White gold studs I bought which leads me to believe that these earings aren't really the size they say they are. In fact I may go to a jeweler to have em weighed just to make sure they are the weight that they say they are.
on August 26, 2016
Very small in size. I had 1/2 cttw earrings that I was replacing (lost one) and my less carat total weight earrings were bigger.
I ordered the Amazon Curated Collection 2 cttw earrings and love them. Ordered a pair for my daughter in law as well.