Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Merrick Wilderness Blend Dog Food 13.2 oz , 12 Count
Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick New Salon & Spa Halloween Amazon Cash Back Offer Transparent Transparent Transparent  All-New Echo Dot Introducing new colors All-New Kindle for Kids Edition AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now STEM

Flavor Name: Wilderness Blend|Change

on May 13, 2013
My miniature poodles love this and I have purchased it several times. However, both dogs got sick from a can of the last case. The # on the case was 1343519133-17. I thought the "girls" had eaten a lizard or something, but when I took out a new can tonight, I noticed the bottom of the can was discolored and the seam split. On inspection I saw all the cans showed signs of mold & the case had obviously been sitting in water. This is the first problem I've ever had with a Merrick product and Amazon promptly agreed to refund my money. This is probably a fluke, but BEWARE and check the cans before you use it!
on March 31, 2015
My dog absolutely loves the Merrick Canned Dog food line, and I love them also,because it looks and smells like "real food" . My dog is 12 years old and had began to be very picky about her food, so I tried many brands until I discovered the Merrick dog food. It got her eating again and she eats every bit. My one major complaint is that the Merrick dog food cans that ship from Amazon are often dented. I have been buying them on line from Amazon, for a few months now...but every order ships with several dented cans (sometimes severely dented) In this last shipment 5 out of the 12 cans had dents, (two of them major dents and many are dented in more then one place)....Since the shipping box from Amazon always arrives in good shape, I can only assume that the cans are damaged before they are shipped out, and so they must be packaged up already damaged.... At this point I feel like the dog food is much to expensive to have it arrived damaged from Amazon. This is a complaint of many reviewers for quite awhile on Amazon, and it is a shame that the cans continue to be shipped damaged. So, I would give the food five stars for the quality of the food, but one star for continually shipping box after box of damaged cans!
on July 26, 2015
I HATE bugs, ABSOLUTELY hate bugs that wiggle. Don't mean to sound like a pansy here, but when I picked up a can and then saw what I thought was white mold start to move around... I stood frozen just staring for 10 seconds before I started to yell "ew" over and over until my brain could process what I had to do with this can.

When you hit review, do you guys see the review left by Koko on May 13, 2013 about checking the bottom of the cans? Or the 1 star review left by Victoria Dominguezon on April 23, 2014 with, quote, "The food was ROTTEN and had MOLD on it!" Well, everyone should hit helpful on those reviews because that is exactly the problem that I ran into today. Here is my 2015 review and hopefully in 2016 there isn't another similar review posted (for the sake of the consumer and the company). I opened my box and noticed a rancid putrid smell that I have no idea how anyone got past while organizing and boxing up my order. I checked the lids for signs of botulism (raised lids) and all the lids were fine. It was the bottom of these cans that are causing issues and I think Merrick or Amazon needs to either address how they store and ship these products, or create a new durable can with a reinforced bottom because the issue with this product is that the bottom seam splits and wrecks havoc on consumers.

I have always been a fan of Merrick, but this review is for this canned product and I would highly advise AGAINST buying this product online. Since others are speeding through the process or not even checking these cans, the best you can do is check them out for yourselves before purchasing (if you even still want to). I think I will be using another product for my puppy's kibble topper for awhile.
review image
on April 14, 2007
I have tried all kinds of food with my 3 dogs, and when I started giving them Merrick, their stools decreased in size, their coats gleam, and their energy is contagious. I will never feed my babies another brand of food. Worth every cent to keep my dogs happy and healthy. Turducken and the Rainbow Trout dishes are their personal favorites.
on July 9, 2008
I did alot of research on dog foods and Merrick was one of the brands rated very well. My minpin Hudson is very picky about his food but he ran into the kitchen as soon as i opened the can. I mix a little in with his dry dog food and he devours it. i was suprised when i first opened the can because it looked watery and there were whole chicken wings with bones and all not what your accustume to when you open a can of dog food. However, the chicken wings fall apart easily and are very soft the bones literally turn to mush. It looks like whole chicken wings in gravy that have cooked in the crock pot allday and it smells wonderful. I have tried other high quality brands and he would quit eating them after a day or two. He eats this every time and it looks like homemade food that I would eat. His coat is glistening and soft and he has great energy. I can't wait to try the other flavors I'll let you know if he likes them. I'm going to switch his dry food to merrick when his Inova is gone.
on July 8, 2012
My lab has always had a sensitive belly. I had tried other wet food after her puppy food and it always made her sick ( even easing her way into it). With this she is happy, she loves loves loves this food and it never had a back time with her belly. Love that it's human grade!
on January 20, 2008
We have been feeding this to our dogs for over a year. Over the past few months, we have had a problem with the cases of Grammy's Pot Pie cans. Some cans were full of chunks of fat and a thick lard-like gravy with no veggies, and some cases were fine with chicken and veggies,etc. What happened to truth in labeling? We also had the problem with the cans being only half-full sometimes. Our dogs were getting bad diarhea from the fat in the food so we had to stop giving them Merrick.
They need to start testing their food again. It used to be great. Look at the old reviews from last year and before.
on March 18, 2012
When we adopted two small shih-tzu puppies, we went to our local pet store and sampled a variety of puppy and adult canned foods. The biggest difference in puppy diets is that they are higher in fats and calories for high-energy fast growing puppies. Our puppies are not picky at all, so it wasn't like there was one they hated, but what we liked about this food was that had identifiable food chunks in it - duck, carrots, peas, etc, it wasn't too smelly, they have good solid poops with it, and they are growing quickly / happily on it! They've been eating it for three months now with no major issues, so it is our go-to food until they hit 1. We like it so much that I bought some of the adult food for our senior dog, and he is doing great on it - he has sensitive stomach issues, so not all canned or dried food digests well for him, but we've had no issues with this brand for him (Senior Plate, Turduckhen, Thanksgiving plate, etc).
on November 12, 2013
WARNING! This product contains CARRAGEENAN, a thickening agent made from red seaweed that promotes TUMORS and CANCER in animals. The cans are also not BPA-free which can lead to health problems, as well. There's been quite a bit of research done on this ingredient(most if it ultimately advising pet owners to steer clear of it). The only studies that claim it's safe for pets are, of course, industry funded. Most canned pet food contains carrageenan, even the high end brands. Search online and you will find several petitions to remove it from the market because of its associated health risks. I no longer purchase foods with carrageenan (for either my dog or myself). I just hope the damage isn't irreversible.

It's upsetting and irritating that "premium" pet food manufacturers would sneak a cancer causing ingredient with no nutritional value to their unsuspecting customers. We buy their products because we believe them to be unquestionably safe and of the highest quality. We love our pets too much to take unnecessary health risks. Maybe they'll take notice and change their formulas when sales drop.

Some quality brands that are free of carrageenan are Nature's Variety Instinct, Weruva, Fromm, and Lotus. I have given my dog both Nature's Variety and Weruva and both are highly recommended (although, unfortunately, neither company uses BPA-free cans).
55 comments| 17 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 9, 2014
What can I say? It's dog food. I don't eat it. However, I chose this brand because of the ingredients, with real buffalo, venison and salmon as 3 of the first 4 ingredients (the 4th being beef broth). My 2 dogs (150# Newfie and 80# retriever) love it and I feel like I am feeding them more than empty calories, filler and gravy. This is chunky style and I add a spoonful to their dry food at every meal. A can will last 3-4 meals. A little higher priced, but I am very selective about everything they put in their bodies. Both dogs are rescues and I want them to live a full, happy, healthy life.