Shop Auto Winter Products Beauty Best Books of the Year Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc New album by morrisey Electronics Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 Try it first with samples Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video  Three new members of the Echo family Save $50 on All-New Fire HD 10. Limited-time offer. $30 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

• Customer reviews

on May 22, 2009
My two year old loves this! My kiddo is dexterous like you wouldn't believe, and has a passion for opening and closing doors as well as removing covers and lids (electrical socket safety plugs, the backs of remotes, change purses, bottle tops, baby wipes) and opening clasps (wallet, watches, bracelets). If your child is the type who's always looking for new and exciting ways to raise your blood pressure with feats of exquisite motor control, this latchboard is a great way to redirect that energy and curiousity.

I remember reading some horrified parent exclaim that perhaps teaching young kids to open latches and locks is a dangerous idea, but realistically speaking - the latches featured here probably aren't used in a safety capacity anyway. (Unless you hide your dynamite behind a miniature chain locked door. And you might want to rethink that.)

The thing is also virtually indestructable. I can say this with confidence because it was "tested" by the brats next door, and those boys could destroy a padded cell. The colors and pictures are bright and appealing, too; it's remarkably well made.

My only beef is the cost of Melissa and Doug products, but since it's hand made I can understand why it's necessary. Keep up the fine work, guys.
647 helpful votes
648 helpful votes
1919 comments|Report abuse
on February 19, 2017
I was very excited to get this for my two year old son because he seems obsessed with latches but surprisingly this has gotten very little play. Despite the little attention it has gotten, it is quite beat up. Even just unwrapping it from the clear cellophane resulted in a big scratch. It is essentially a very thin layer of paper on top of mdf. Any play results in gouges and scratches.
11 comment|Report abuse
on March 22, 2017
This is so cute. My only complaint is that I wish they made it smaller or made a smaller option. I bought this to distract our 20 month old on the plane and ended up giving it to him before the flight to play with at home bc it's just too big to justify packing.

Very cute and it keeps him busy for long periods of time. All our doors and latches work just fine
on March 30, 2017
This is probably my 17 month old's favorite puzzle at the moment. He loves trying to figure out the locks, and getting the doors to open and close. Behind each door are animals that represent the color and numbers on the buildings, so it's a great learning tool for that as well!
on July 22, 2017
My 14 month old daughter loves playing with all the latches. Keeps her busy and quiet when mama needs to get some eating down. It was a little advance for her when i first made the purchase and now she is 18 months and pretty much got them all figured out.
on November 13, 2016
My kid loves this! The only toy that gets played with every single day! Got it for my then 13 months old and my kid has played with it daily and each month that goes by learns to work new latches. I especially love that it has colors to learn and numbers. I love multi functioning toys!
on May 25, 2017
I love these Melissa & Doug Latches Wooden Activity Puzzles..They are so unique and so well made. The locks are beautiful and so encouraging for children to want to learn how to use them. A lot larger than I expected in size.
on March 11, 2017
This is a great toy for the little ones. I bought it when my son was 18 months old, and though he is now two-and-a-half, he still plays with it and it is still in great condition. Really good quality and a great buy.
on September 1, 2017
I like the idea of this more than the execution. It all looks very plain and some of the latches don't easily stay closed. I think there's room for improvement on this one. My near 2-year old likes it okay.
on June 28, 2017
Upon opening it had a very strong, toxic paint and glue smell. I wanted to give my son right away so I ran it under water thinking I could rinse some of the toxicity away. Dumb move. The paper picture immediately started peeling. I dried and gave to my son anyway, but soon took it away as I noticed the plywood dust falling from the doors as he opened them. I'm going to think twice before purchasing Melissa & Doug again.
11 comment|Report abuse