Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Package Quantity: 1|Size: pack of one|Change

Showing 1-10 of 852 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 905 reviews
on November 19, 2015
Bought this exclusively for making mash potatoes. Although I don't mind a few lumps, I feel like I'm not doing a good job if there are lumps so I decided to try this after seeing it on America's Test Kitchen . It placed #1 in their reviews and they were RIGHT!! So easy to make lump free mashed potatoes and you don't have to peel the potatoes!! Once you strain the taters then skins will be at the bottom of the screen. However, remove the skins after each press or the skins will end up in your taters. I was also surprised how quickly you can press out 10 potatoes. No more hand mashing or hand blenders for me!! Even the hand blender couldn't do as good as a job as this ricer! Less time and a better product..Buy one and you won't regret it...However, you will receive more requests to make mash potatoes..
on June 7, 2013
This is a great ricer. The only issue I had with it, just like other posters, is that the water will not drain out of the body after washing. The solution.... drill a small hole in the end of the lower handle (the green and white side, the top handle is solid so water can't penetrate it) and this will solve the problem. If the manufacturer would have done this at the factory I would have rated 5 stars.
review image
on November 30, 2015
I saw this on America's Test Kitchen and decided to try it. It worked great for my potatoes on Thanksgiving. I had no problem pressing the potatoes through the hopper. I did find if the potato was too big or there were too many potato chunks in the hopper it was harder to press so I stuck to smaller size chunks. I didn't like how the potatoes squirt up the sides of the plunger but it was easy to scrape them off back into the bowl. It was difficult getting the center piece out to switch out the plates and for cleaning but I was able to do it. I read other reviews about not immersing this completely in water because the water doesn't drain out of the handles or the base so I didn't immerse it. Other reviewers stated they put it in the dishwasher. Not sure if they had issues with water being stuck in it afterwards. I tried to avoid getting too much water in between the green and white parts. If this could be immersed fully in water for cleaning purposes and the center piece was easier to remove I would have given it a 5-star rating.
on January 24, 2016
I purchased this item a bit over a month ago and have had the chance to use it several times. I have used it to make baby food as well as potatoes. The baby food was a miss for me at this point because it wasn't totally smooth. This was for a baby who was eating baby food for the first time so it was too thick. I will try it again when she is older but for now we will stick to the food processor. It is easy to clean and easy to put together and take apart. There are some definite pros and cons for this product.
Pros:
Easy to take apart and put together
Fairly easy to clean
Potatoes come out amazing
Baby food will probably be OK for older baby
Cons:
Product is large so its tough to fit in the dishwasher (main unit)
Takes up a lot of storage space
Baby food doesn't come out totally smooth
on June 29, 2017
This thing is seriously awesome.

I've been trying really hard to add more veggies to my diet (and simultaneously subtract out some of the bad stuff in equal quantities).

The thing is, I don't hate vegetables. There are a lot of vegetables I'm perfectly happy to eat WHEN they're cooked by someone who knows what the heck he or she doing. When I cook them, though, they generally come out annoyingly not-delicious ... and they often tend to drip a lot of watery, not-delicious juice into other things on my plate that I'd be enjoying far more without the watery "assist."

Squash (of the zucchini and yellow variety) is high on the list of veggies I hate no matter WHO cooks them because of the inevitable "slimy" factor. Spinach, on the other hand, is something I love when cooked by someone competent, but manages to be barely edible when I cook it. I really like broccoli and cauliflower, and tried for a long time to pressure-cook these and then remove all the excess water so I could use the veggies in recipes ... and I'd find myself squeezing veggies for what felt like hours through rolled up cheesecloth (that instantly became soaked), and also blotting and blotting and blotting with paper towels.

So, realizing that half my battle with veggies is that I don't like a lot of them raw, but REALLY don't like watery, slimy cooked vegetables, I searched for an easier way to get water out of cooked (or, in some cases, just CUT) vegetables. And the universal recommendation seemed to be "Get a potato ricer." Which I had never heard of. But of course, I came to Amazon to search and read reviews.

I love, love, LOVE this thing. Now I can spiralize (oh, that's a separate WONDERFUL gizmo) squash into really easy-to-chop noodles and then toss those into a food processor and essentially turn the squash into a pile of tiny chunks. I salt these and let them sit in a strainer in the sink for half an hour to draw out as much moisture as possible. Then I rinse the salt off ... and then I spoon the squash into this gizmo (which I usually line with a paper towel) and give it a few good squeezes, turning it in my hands to let the water run out both sides. Then I pull out the paper-towel-wrapped "brick," open it up, and spill the now largely water-free squash bits into a bowl. From there, they can go into the oven for a lovely roast.

No slime. No wet. I end up with a jar of lovely roasted squash "crumbles" that I can add to just about a mix of any veggies of love and never even notice I'm eating squash.

And this thing is KILLER for de-watering spinach.

Easy to clean (especially if you use a small choose-a-size bit of paper towel as a liner). Easy to use. Lightweight. Not expensive. What's not to love? I'll be buying another so that I have a spare.
on October 19, 2015
I bought this from a "Cooks Illustrated" review. I have been using a much more expensive food mill for mashed potatoes. Even if you only used it for potatoes, its is a good purchase. I tried it with Baby Red's. Simmered them to soft and put the whole unpeeled spud into the hopper using the fine grate (It has two, one has larger holes). A bit of a squeeze and I got all potato and zero skin. You open it up and use a butter knife to scrape the skin off the plunger (its gonna be hot), repeat. Rinses off quickly and easily. Just use a spatula to gently stir in warmed milk and butter and you have quick, and smooth mashed potatoes. Why not use a mixer? It beats the potatoes to aggressively and makes them gooey. I think even for large amounts (think potatoes for T-day), I would rather use this, so long as the potatoes are cooked through, it works really fast. Only took me a couple of minutes to go through two pounds.
on April 11, 2013
My husband wanted to be able to make our own hash browns since a bag of potatoes costs next to nothing while a package of frozen browns is through the roof. We also have an infant who was just starting onto solids at the time we purchased this, so I've been able to use it for both purposes and it doesn't disappoint.

The liner that holds the metal strainer in place just has two little tabs to squeeze to remove it all for cleaning, which is incredibly easy and all of the pieces come clean in the dishwasher. You can see in the photo that it has a notched arm that extends from the front so you can rest it over a bowl when squishing food through the strainer. You would most likely not really need to use that while straining, but since the bottom will have food drippings it makes it handy to be able to set it down over a bowl if you need to without making a mess.

When making hash browns, it works PERFECTLY for getting as much water as possible strained out of freshly shredded potatoes so you can toss them right into a frying pan or freeze larger amounts for later use without all that water in them that would turn them into a solid ice block otherwise. As mentioned, I've also pushed cooked veggies through the strainer with smaller holes to make fresh baby food and it makes making your own baby food a breeze.

Since its construction is a hard plastic and you can really give it a pretty good squeeze, I've worried about the top handle breaking, but we've really been pretty hard on this thing and it's withstood all abuse so far.
on June 21, 2015
My first inclination was to downgrade this for being made of plastic instead of metal, but as I use it more I realize that if you need a metal ricer to mash your taters, you aren't cooking them enough. I've destroyed several cheaper metal ricers using too much pressure forcing undercooked spuds through the holes.

The compartment for the potatoes is nice and large and the handle is very ergonomic. It makes large batches of potatoes a snap to go through. Opposite the handle is a toothed lip for hooking onto a bowl which is a nice touch. Rest the ricer over the bowl while you load it and nothing leaks through onto your counter.

The two plates are also a nice touch, giving you a bit more control over the consistency of your mash. It may take you a bit to figure out the mechanism for swapping the pates (hint: pinch the tabs and push up directly on the metal plate), but after that you'll love it.

Five stars for function, but especially for being dishwasher-safe.
on September 15, 2015
Pretty impressed with this product.

Used for the first time a few weeks ago, and the potatoes came out very smooth. So smooth, milk/cream was not even necessary for creamy potatoes.

Love it. Would definitely buy it again.

Saves the skins, so if the skins are bad - and sometimes the potatoes are sour, which means the skins are worse - you can toss them out.

It's also easy to wash.
on May 8, 2014
This is my first ricer, I bought it because it wasn't too expensive and it was recommended by America's Test Kitchen. I'm used to lumpy potato and thought I'd spoil myself and buy this.

I used it yesterday for the first time. I filled it up completely with potato, but it was hard to use. I took half out and it was much easier. I was amazed to see my plate pile up with potato that looked like grated cheese coming out! I'm going to love this thing. It was very easy to clean, I washed it by hand, then stood it up, just to make sure there was no water trapped inside, after reading a reviewer's comment about that happening. I wish I bought this thing a long time ago. I'm so happy I will no longer be eating lumpy mashed potato!