Amazon Vehicles Beauty Return your textbook rentals STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Limited time offer Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Book House Cleaning whiteprincess whiteprincess whiteprincess  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now Ellen

Size: 50-watt|Change

Showing 1-10 of 1,214 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 1,464 reviews
on December 3, 2016
I bought 2 of these for my betta tanks, they are both around 5 gallon, the fish always seemed to be sluggish and laying around on the bottom of the tank. I read they liked slightly warm water so I bought these after checking pricing at my local pet store. The same exact one at Meijer was double this price, which worried me if it was going to be decent.

I plugged them both in , obviously one in each tank, attached the suction cups, there was nothing to adjust at all, the red light came on saying it was working, after about an hour it turned green which meant it had reached proper temp, I felt the water and it was not really warm but more slightly warmer than room temp. But before it was quite cool to the touch, almost cold. Within less than an hour later both fish were swimming all over the place.

This was 4 days ago and it although it still is early I have to say this was a great buy. The fish continue to seem happier, more active, eating better, cant believe how much a difference it made.

So far , so good. I love my fish, dumb I know, but bettas are so unique and have personalities I'm just sure of it, lol! I feel like a much better fish owner having got these heaters and making the fish more comfortable, and I could swear their colors seem brighter, a side effect perhaps? This is a great price , it works like it said it would and it adjusts the temp in the water automatically. I cant complain at all about this product.
on September 2, 2016
Keeps my 10gal at a nice 75-79 temperature. a little tip: Place the heater under or next to a flow source. in my case i used my air pump. it helped it heat the tank and keep it heated.
review image review image
on January 11, 2015
DANGER - While this worked great for a while (from about Aug 2014 through Jan 2015), it can fail in a catastrophic way that results in continuous heating. I've attached a photo of the sad scene I found one morning... the heater thermostat apparently failed and the water temps in the tank reached 102ºF overnight.

I suspect you'll have the same risks with ANY heater—especially inexpensive ones. Best protection is to have a thermometer with an alarm, such as the "General Tools AQ150 Digital Aquarium Thermometer" amazon.com/gp/product/B00M9T7ZF8

While it worked, this heater did function as advertised. I've since replaced it with a different model—plus the temperature alarm referenced above. The fish has also been replaced, but it was a preventable, sad morning!
review image
1414 comments| 187 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 9, 2016
...because I'm not using this for a fish tank. I'm using it to keep my chicken's water feeder from freezing this winter. The custom made chicken water heater things are about $30 and up. I can see them from the window now, and those little hens are enjoying some lukewarm water out there in the cold 19f weather. The unit feels solid and very well made. It's actually hard to believe the price is so low considering the quality. Nice to find the occasional product for a low price with such high quality. I'll update this review if anything changes in the next few months.

Anyone who reads my reviews knows that a 5 star review is very well earned. If you thought this review was life-changing (or just informative) or if you just like chickens, please click yes below!
on March 4, 2017
This little guy works great (had a problem with the first one but seller quickly sent me a new one :) very cool customer service ) it's small so it won't take away too much space I have a 10 gallon that I only keep at half tank because I have turtles and they are still small. This little guy keeps their temperature at 76 degrees steady. It's super easy to install and comes at a great price. At 9 bux for a 2-10 gallon aquarium when petco was selling the same one for 4x that much. Anyhow when light is red it is heating the tank it has a manual shut off that you will be able to see as the light turns green indicating the water is at an appropriate level. The only thing I would say is that I'm not sure that it would heat the tank if it were full at 10 gallons at that point I would suggest getting the 100 wat. I would say the 50 watt would be good for small tanks about 5 gallons and under but that's just my advice. Either way this product is great, received quickly, good quality, amazing price and customer service is the business! :) have a great day guys
on December 3, 2016
I'm using the 50watt on a very small 1.2 gallon Ecoxotic Vita LED Ecosystem Betta tank and it has worked great! No issues with overheating. It keeps the tank right about 76 degrees according to a thermometer I put in the tank. All these negative reviews are likely from misuse, because it works flawlessly in my small tank. I will update my review if there is ever a problem.
review image review image
on April 10, 2017
I've owned bettas for YEARS and had always thought that water heaters were too expensive and just over the top for a single betta fish. Well, after seeing the difference that a water heater made in the behavior and just overall happiness of the fish, and with me having the biggest soft spot for animals, I decided that it was the best to just do it, and get one.

I couldn't be happier with this little thing. I have a single male spenden betta in a 1.5gallon tank with a little filter and lots of things to hide in and around, and I'd literally never seen a betta happier within an hour of putting the heater in the tank. Quite a good investment. I especially like how the temperature is set at a certain degrees so you're sure that you won't cook your fish (wow... that sounded harsh). But this thing works perfectly for my little tank and Rocky (my little betta). Thanks!
on April 17, 2017
UPDATE: I'm moving my review up to 4 stars because their customer service is excellent. I was contacted by a rep who seemed genuinely concerned and offered an unprompted refund. I still can't recommend a 50w heater for mini tanks—go with a 25w instead—but I can wholeheartedly recommend this company.

I bought this heater for my 3 gallon tank, as it said it worked well for 2-10 gallons. My guppies were dead within 48 hours. Even the snail died. I'll be going back to having the tank unheated. (FYI: the tank was properly cycled and had been populated without issue for a month and a half before the heater was added.)

It might work well for a tank on the 10 gallon side of the scale, but I wouldn't trust it for anything less.
on April 5, 2017
The heater worked great the first week I put it in, got the water temp 76-78 degrees within 24 hours. However, 2 weeks later when I cleaned the tank and replaced some of the water, 3 days later the temp is still just 70 degrees. My tank is only 5 gallons, not sure what the heck happened. I have requested a replacement from Amazon, hopefully I have more luck with the new heater.

UPDATE 5/5/17: I've had the new heater in the tank for almost 2 weeks and the first one I received was definitely defective... It didn't light up and the new one does. I'm updating the review to 4 stars because I think the water should be a bit warmer. I'd prefer high 70s but it stops warming low-mid 70s (pictures attached).
review image
on March 2, 2017
KEEP A CLOSE EYE ON YOUR TANK'S TEMPERATURE. Either buy an alarm for if it gets too hot or be good about checking your thermostat OFTEN.
I've had this heater for about nine months and have been using it in a ten gallon aquarium.
It worked WONDERFULLY until today. Sometime during the night it went on the fritz and heated my tank to ABOVE 110 DEGREES FAHRENHEIT. I woke up to a dead Betta and three dead snails, all cooked alive. It was heartbreaking.
There's some fatal flaw with these heaters. They are cheap, and when they work, they work great. But you are taking a risk if you buy one of these for your tank.