Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Tetra 26447 Submersible Aquarium Heater, 50-Watt
Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now

Size: 50-watt|Change

on January 11, 2015
DANGER - While this worked great for a while (from about Aug 2014 through Jan 2015), it can fail in a catastrophic way that results in continuous heating. I've attached a photo of the sad scene I found one morning... the heater thermostat apparently failed and the water temps in the tank reached 102ºF overnight.

I suspect you'll have the same risks with ANY heater—especially inexpensive ones. Best protection is to have a thermometer with an alarm, such as the "General Tools AQ150 Digital Aquarium Thermometer" amazon.com/gp/product/B00M9T7ZF8

While it worked, this heater did function as advertised. I've since replaced it with a different model—plus the temperature alarm referenced above. The fish has also been replaced, but it was a preventable, sad morning!
review image
1212 comments| 74 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 11, 2012
Many people that are rating this product with a 1 or 2 star clearly are not using it right, saying it is going out or not heating hot enough. To use this heater properly, you must sit the heater in the aquarium water for 30 minutes before even plugging it in. This is to set the thermostat inside the heater. Also, you must place the heater set up 90 degrees or laying flat parallel with the bottom of the tank. Another reason it may stop working is, once you turn off the heater you must leave it in the water for 15 minutes before taking it out.

Bottom line is, this is a great heater. I use 3 of them total, one for a 10 gallon saltwater nano reef, one for a 10 gallon freshwater aquarium, and one to heat up my water change water. This is one of the best compact heaters I have used, compared to two other more expensive heaters. This is also definitely the cheapest place to find the heater (on amazon), in my local fish stores it runs $17. Ignore the reviews by people that probably didn't even read the instructions before sticking it in their tank and saying it doesn't work right. No adjustments need to be made with this heater and that is one of the greatest things about it also.

Pros:
Red light when heating
Green light when temperature is correct
Small and compact
Cheap price
Good quality
Fully Submersible
Heats up to 10 gallons
Consistent temperature
Rubber protects the glass heating tube

Cons:
Cannot change the temperature if desired.
1212 comments| 168 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 7, 2009
I have purchased 3 of these Tetra Heaters in the past 5 months, and all of them have quit. The warranty only allows you to pay shipping both ways, either to fix yours, or they will send another one. I do not want any more of these Tetra heaters, and am looking for another brand. I wouldn't waist your money.
88 comments| 75 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 17, 2011
I wish I could give this product a worse score than 1 star. Purchased this heater from Wal-mart in a pinch because the heater that came with the aquarium broke (was a very cheap one) and I didn't want the temperature to drop since it was winter. Kept an eye on the thing for the first few weeks of having it and everything seemed to be ok. This week the dumb thing short circuited because it got water inside somehow and continually heated the tank. I discovered this when I got home from work. I noticed unusual behavior in a frog I had in the aquarium. On further inspection my other frog was already dead on the bottom of the tank and the water was almost 100 degrees F. The frog that was still alive was just floating in the current from the filter and had a bad fungal infection that had sprouted up overnight. Removed him to a treatment tank and did what we could but the poor guy didn't make it. This is a horrible product. I would not recommend this to anyone and I wish I hadn't bought the product because I lost 2 very dear pets.
1919 comments| 158 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 23, 2011
ok so I've had this heater for 6 months and one day i was about to feed my fish...and I always tap on the glass to get them to come to the top of the tank and I saw that some of them were at the bottom, some were just swimming in the corner, and the rest just didn't come to the top...so I was like "what is wrong with these fish"? so I put my hand on the glass and it was HOT!!!! I looked at my thermometer and saw that the temperature was 98 degrees!!!! I started freaking out...so I unplugged the heater...opened the lid and set a fan to blow on it...I got some plastic bags and filled them with ice and floated them on the top to bring down the temperature...I was doing everything I could think of...this was all at 1 a.m. in the morning btw...so I went to sleep worried about these fish...in the morning the temperature had gone down to normal...and I lost 2 fish...i was really upset...but then i realized i had to buy another heater because if I left it without one the fish would get too cold and die...so I had to go to the store and buy another the next day...anyway, the moral of the story is if you have the money to buy a better heater, please do...because if I hadn't have caught it early i would have lost every single fish...so just spend the extra 10 or 20 bucks...hope this review helps...
on December 19, 2015
Awful, just awful. The box states that this heater is preset to 78*, this is not the case. At no time did it keep my poor Betta's 5 gallon tank warmer than 67*. I quickly had to run out to my local pet store and buy a better quality heater. Don't waste your time and money.... For just a few dollars more you can purchase a better quality heater that will keep your fish happier and healthier!
on October 9, 2013
I owned this product for about two years. I thought it was really great. Kept my betta and pleco nice and toasty, until a week ago when it shorted and cooked both of my fish. I was extremely upset and will NEVER be buying this product EVER again. Sure, send it back and get a new one, but the fish are already medium-rare.
22 comments| 51 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 11, 2014
I always buy these, they work great. You can't adjust the temperature, but it's keeps the water at 75-77*F all the time. Fish are happy and healthy.

I have 4 of them. I had 5, but one had gotten infected with mold somehow. Now matter how much I cleaned it, it always grew back in the tank. I chucked it. But the other four work great!

The 50-watt heater works great in small aquariums. I've used them in anything from 1-10 gallons and never had an overheating or underheating issue. The small size an complete submersibility is also a plus for small aquariums. They can lay completely horrizontal in kritter keepers just above substrate to keep them from taking up too much room. I use one in a 2 gallon drum bowl for a betta and it works beautifully.
review image review image
TOP 50 REVIEWERon February 17, 2015
UPDATED REVIEW: I now NO LONGER recommend EVER! Originally I loved this brand and heater and had reviewed it as a 5 star product

Short Review: I have owned a total of 4 of these now! The first two I owned lasted OVER 7 years each.. one went with an Aquarium I no longer have. The other I have used until 3 weeks ago and then it failed.. The heater was almost 8 years old and had lasted the entire time!! Because of that I TRUSTED and loved the heater and I know electronics wear out.. So after 8 years of life I wanted another! I went to Wal*Mart and purchased one. It lasted 2 weeks and stopped heating! Well DANG.. Maybe it was just a bad heater.. I went and exchanged it.. The new one lasted less than 2 DAYS and FAILED.. OK so this heater now sucks I said!! After two failed so quickly, I KNOW there are quality issues!! I went to a REAL petstore (Not petsmart or chain store) and purchased a high end heater (I wont mention the name here because I don't want anyone to think I am just trying to lead people to another brand) and so far it heats quicker, better, and hopefully a lot more trustworthy!

Warranty (NOT WORTH THE PAPER) - So this heater comes with a 2 year warranty.. BUT are you going to let your fish die and freeze while waiting on the new heater to arrive in the mail? I didn't think so, so a 2 year warranty on a product like this isn't worth it! Might exchange it for a "Backup" but still, not sure that would even be worth the time and paperwork to exchange.

To be fair: When this heater works its great.. It DOES heat kind of slowly but what do you expect from a 50 Watt heater.. The new one I decided to buy at the petstore was a 100 Watt so it is expected that it will heat quicker and better.. I don't hold that against the 50 Watt heater.. my issue is that after two failures I CAN NO LONGER TRUST this heater

Tetra Customer Service: They will come on and say that I didn't use it correctly or maintain it correctly but that is simply not true.. First: I allowed it to fully sit in my Aquarium for 15 minutes before plugging in like the instructions say. Second, the reason my others lasted so long is that I DID maintain them like the instructions said. I cleaned them and maintained just like the instructions said.. Hense the reason it lasted almost 8 years.. I have already called and spoke to them about it and they say they failure rate is almost NONE.. Maybe I am just unlucky they said.

Quality Difference (Just to Note): I know this doesn't PROVE that the newer heaters are made worse than the old but two observations I made are 1.) The top part (I assume the control unit) is now two pieces of plastic snapped together without a welded seam.. THIS MIGHT allow leakage.. My older one was a single piece of thick rubber 2.) The new heaters don't feel nearly as robust as the old heaters did.. I know this doesn't really mean anything but still just an observation I made..

So while I originally wrote this a 5 star review and loved it, I now can no longer recommend this heater

NOTE: The photo attached is from my original review.. I will leave it but with that being said I now no longer recommend this heater or even brand
on December 1, 2014
It stops heating (red light goes out, completely, NOT changed to green), and I have to constantly jiggle it to get it going again. This is straight out of the box. Yeah, it's cheap, but it doesn't even heat, so what's the point? Isn't that the very definition of "heater?"