Shop Auto Winter Products Salon Beauty Get $5 off book purchases over $20* Use promo code GIFTBOOK17 Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Weekly One STEM $24.99 for a limited time only Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video  Echo  Black Friday Deals Week: Fire tablets starting at $29.99. Limited-time offer. $30 off Kindle Paperwhite Just Dance 2018 Shop Now HTL17_gno

on January 18, 2012
First of all, Yakima makes great products, en par (if not better) than Thule. That's why I bought their towers, clips and the corresponding cross bars for my 2005 Ford Focus ZX4 ST, in conjunction with their FatCat 6 ski/snowboard mount.

The only two issues I had were as follows:

1) Both crossbars, when installed according to the exact specifications, display a slight downward warping/sloping between each two towers. I reached out to Yakima's excellent customer service, and after they checked with their fit team, I was assured that this is quite normal for some car models, depending on a variety of installation variables. This put me at ease, and, functionally, there is nothing wrong with them and the sloping doesn't bother me anymore.

2) The recommended distance between the front towers and the rear towers is only 20 inches for my car model. This is quite a short distance, and it makes putting long skis on the ski mount difficult. No problem for snowboards, but skis have been an issue for me. Yakima customer service insisted that I should not deviate from the recommended 20 inch distance, and recommended that I should be using their stretch kit if I require a wider space between the front and rear. This kit costs upwards of 100 dollars and looks a little bit like a kludge to me.

My recommendation is to download the installation and fitting instructions for your car model first to see what the distance between the front and rear towers (and, consequently, the crossbars) will be, to see if it fits your needs. I would say that 20 inches is the absolute minimum, and doesn't work for all purposes.

Hope this helps someone. Rest assured that whatever issue you might be having with Yakima products, their superb customer service will be getting it right for you. At least that was my experience.
on June 26, 2013
My old rack that I have been storing for the last few years in the attic has a new job. I purchased it for an 03 Avalon carrying snowboards and was able put it back to use for carrying my kayak on my 2010 VW Jetta. I'm very grateful to Yakima for making this kit available in pieces so I didn't have to start from scratch.
Speaking of scratch, I think these clips may have put one or two on the Jetta where they meet the roof. Not big, not terrible, probably not even noticeable if you're not looking for them.
on January 10, 2013
I could not find this in previous reviews, and the product information on this was less than helpful. I ended up buying one box because it was not clear to me how many clips came in a box. The answer is two - at least for the Q128. I haven't installed on my VW CC yet, as I now have an order in for a second box. Anyway - submitted this feedback to Amazon. Note that the box clearly indicates a pair once you get it; however the generic picture on the site doesn't (understandably you get a generic image since there are a multitude of models).
on June 25, 2014
I really liked how easy it was to install these clips and put it on the car. I did forget to put the rubber tape on the edge so I scratched my car a little (Don't forget the rubber tape!). After this I have had no problems with hot weather, heavy bike loads or heavy winter snow and ice. it will stay on the car and it won't budge.
on May 10, 2013
Q clips. Not sexy. Not even pretty. Just bent, painted pieces of metal essential to attach your Q-towers to your car. They work, and they work marvelously well.
on February 14, 2015
Just perfect fit and fast delivery
on January 28, 2013
Bought these clips for my 97 Honda Civic. Easy to install and my rack stays secure while hauling two bikes. Very pleased.
on March 10, 2010
I have had the Q-tower system for a number of years, through three different vehicles. All in all a great rack system, except for two items: The cost of the little parts that you need to convert from one vehicle to the other are stratospheric! I really don't mind Yakima making their money on the big ticket items such as towers, boxes, etc. but the little adapter items should be priced more fairly. It seems to me that once you are locked into a Yakima system they fully intend to hose you on the little things. Too bad. Further, the Yakima website is a mess to try and find the specific little items and accessories that they intend on hosing you with!
44 comments| 67 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 9, 2013
I've owned the Yakima Q-Tower system for almost eight years. I just transferred it to my third vehicle (same bars and Q-Tower, somewhat different clips needed for different vehicles).

I found the installation instructions to be clear.

The installation process was straightforward and eminently "doable" by this "not-so-handy" guy.

The tower itself, and the foot, appears relatively aerodynamically efficient. The lock housing -- not so much (the lock housing is the assembly that holds the clip and the lock and has the cam that locks down the unit to the car).

I also bought the optional fairing, but have never used it. I liked the idea that the fairing would reduce wind noise and slightly increase fuel economy. But I found that I'd have to remove the fairing to attach things to the bars -- and at least some of the things that I wanted to attach were incompatible with the fairing. I don't even use it when I just have the bars up there because -- well -- I usually try to remove the whole mess when I'm not using it to even more surely decrease noise and increase gas mileage.

The round bars have been effective -- can't complain about them. I presume that they are slightly more aerodynamically efficient than Thule's standard square bars, but can't prove it.

The round bars definitely increase wind noise -- I'm even more inclined than usual to keep my speed down with the bars up there -- to keep down noise and minimize fuel efficiency decrease.

Why did I buy Yakima's system instead of Thule's eight years ago? Well, I wanted to ensure that it would fit well on my vehicle. My vehicle's manufacturer offered the Yakima rack as an optional accessory at time of purchase -- so I figured that pretty much guaranteed good compatibility.

If I were buying a system now, I think that I would look into one of the new Aero bars (i.e., with more of a wing-shaped cross-section).

Incidentally, the three vehicles I've used this on were: 2006 Scion xB (the old original boxy version), 2008 Toyota Prius, 2013 Toyota Prius.
You need 2 sets of these `Yakima Q Clip Sets' and the corresponding `Yakima Roundbars Roof Rack Cross Bars' (check your vehicle dimensions for the proper lengths), if you are planning to install a ski rack or any type of enclosure unit. I had these installed professionally for a little bit more money, and it was worth avoiding the hassle. They come with an extra set of keys and are very strong. They are simple and sleek. Definitely a `must have' for a truck owner.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.