Truck Reviews Beauty Best Books of the Month Men's slip on sneakers nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc CMA Fest PCB for select Bang & Olufsen Fire TV Stick Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon $0.99 rentals for Prime members $0.99 rentals for Prime members $0.99 rentals for Prime members  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now SWMTVT18_gno

VINE VOICEon August 8, 2011
This children's fishing pole is made with every bit of quality you'd expect from an entry-level adult fishing pole. The shaft feels very sturdy, and the metal eyelets are securely mounted. My only complain about construction is that the yellow spindle cover is made from a thin plastic that would probably break if it landed hard on the ground. Also, the "Cars" graphics are just decals - I would prefer it if they were silk-screened onto the plastic instead... Anybody can put decals on something. The reel is easy to maintain - just unscrew the plastic cap and it gives you easy access to fix any tangles that might occur. Actually, my fishing pole came from the factory with a slight tangle in the line, and I had to take it apart and fix it before we could use it, but it works great now. The practice lure is pretty neat, it is a little "Lightyear" tire from the movie, and it is made of rubber so that it won't break when it hits the ground. All in all, it's a good quality fishing pole that I would definitely recommend to anybody that wants to get their kid started out fishing!
on June 9, 2011
I bought this pole for my cousin for christmas after he had been asking to go fishing for a good year. We ended up going fishing recently and I thought the pole was going to be a little small for him but it actually worked out well for him and we were both happy with the pole. I was really impressed with how far this spincast reel casted. I also had a cheap spincast reel, with the same line weight, and mine didn't cast half as far. It really boosted his confidence, he is 6, with how far his pole was casting compared to mine.

Shakespeare did good with this pole. It's inexpensive and performs well.
17 people found this helpful
on July 28, 2011
I'm not sure exactly how to rate this rod. It is WONDERFUL as far as durability, casting, the cute little tire that is tied to the end. I'd give it 5 stars!
Only one problem is that the packaging clearly states that it contains lead. Does not say exactly what part.
Not so good for a children's toy....
I actually contacted the company. They said that there was trace amounts in the paint but that it still passed safety standards.
So...I guess like houses build before 1978, unless the paint is chipping or if they chew on it and eat the paint chips then they should be fine!
14 people found this helpful
|11 comment|Report abuse
on December 27, 2016
Great for little kids learning to fish!
on April 29, 2016
Not the quality that I expected for Shakespeare. Used 2 times and no longer works, but I only paid over 10.00 for it so you get what you pay for. Went to local sporting goods store and bought a better pole.
on January 14, 2016
Cute, cheap, junk.
on May 3, 2013
The reel did not work when we got it. It was completely jammed. I've had lots of shakespeare kits for kids and never had this problem before.

Now we have to go through the pain of returning.
on May 5, 2012
Everything looked okay, but the reel was broken. Pressing the button doesn't release the bale. I unscrewed the cover, but it didn't have any user serviceable parts. Also, the rod and reel are a single unit, so it is impossible to replace the reel.

We also purchased an Incredible Hulk fishing rod by Shakespeare that is less of a toy and more of a real fishing rod. I would recommend it over this item.
on April 6, 2011
Bought this for my 4 and 6 year old children. They love it. The set comes with a rubber wheel that you can attach to the line to practice casting. My kids have practiced for hours already, and will definitely be able to cast with a real hook and bait. The only negative is that the set does not come with a basic set of lures.
6 people found this helpful
on August 17, 2012
The rod is the perfect size and is really cute but after buying our third one (they all broke within one week) I give up the kid is going to have to use a stick and line. This is a true piece of junk.
|0Comment|Report abuse

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.