Shop Auto Winter Products Salon Beauty Get $5 off book purchases over $20* Use promo code GIFTBOOK17 Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Listen for a chance to win STEM $24.99 for a limited time only Try it first with samples Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video  Echo Show Black Friday Deals Week: Fire tablets starting at $29.99. Limited-time offer. $30 off Kindle Paperwhite Just Dance 2018 Shop Now HTL17_gno

Carson 60X-75X MicroMax LED Lighted Pocket Microscope (MM-200)
Package Type: Standard Packaging|Change

on August 9, 2009
I use this for checking gold ore samples in the field as well as general looking at the microscopic world.

The LED light is great but I did have one problem. I left it on and the next time I tried to use it the light would not work.... dead batteries. Unfortunately the batteries cost near $5 each times 3= $15.

All is not lost however. The Rite Aid (Pharmacy) had hearing aid batteries that, while not the same type as the listed required batteries, were the same physical size but were 1.4 volts instead of 1.5. I did not feel that this would be an issue and decided to try it. They worked just fine and were $16 for 24 of them, so about $.67 each. Much better and I now have 8 changes in case I forget to turn it off again.

The replacement type I found was Size 312, hearing aid batteries.
1414 comments| 733 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 18, 2015
Certified awesomeness. For 10 bucks this scope is well worth it. I don't understand the other reviewers carping about minor technical flaws. Its 10 bucks - for reals. Plus Free prime shipping if you got it. Yes, the magnification isn't what it says it is, but this unit fits in the palm of your hand and has tolerated my kids dropping it, fingering the optics and otherwise exercising loose care while looking at neighborhood concrete, paint, signs, leaves, found objects, and astro turf. Don't forget to turn off the LED because as other reviewers have noted, the specified replacement cell is not cheap. I haven't tried the hearing aid battery solution mentioned elsewhere, but will next time I gel and leave it on. Otherwise, for about the cost and size of a sushi hand roll you can blow your kids' minds with science! Or you could just completely geek out in private on the plaster swirls in your bathroom. Cool.
on August 17, 2016
This thing is freakin' awesome! An absolute MUST for rockhounds!!! Now that I have it, I'll be carrying it everywhere. The magnifying glasses that I got in my mineral kits when I took geology are okay, but they only do 10x. This thing does 60x-100x and it's lighted!! I struggled to look at the crystalline structures of the rocks I collected in Baghdad through my $20 microscopic. Since I didn't have rock tools there (other than my multiple tumblers, my rock hammer and my chisel), I had to try to chip off pieces small enough to fit on the tray, and I had to use a flashlight from the side for illumination. This thing illuminates right next to the lens so it casts the light directly on what you're trying to view. I'd love to share photos, but my camera doesn't have a lens that small.

HIGHLY RECOMMEND!!!
on October 7, 2014
I purchase this pocket microscope to examine my trichomes on my buds. At first I was very frustrated as it was hard to see anything and it was taking so long to focus. But, I finally figured it out. I took a bud put it on a table put the microscope with the light on it and focus it, then leave it at that setting and use while looking at them in the field. I could see what I needed to see. I recommend using it at 60x and not when the sun is blinding you.

Also I just found out that you could take your cell phone put the eye piece of the microscope on the camera and hold it there then zoom the camera. It makes it so much easier to see with both eyes and you could also record it using your cell phone too.
on March 20, 2011
i actually bought this so i can inspect plant resin on my flowers to see when they are ready to harvest. but i find it's so easy to get carried away with it. wall's, carpet, leaves, pet fur, sugar on the table, bugs, dirt, lol if it was in my house i inspected it. it's lots of fun. i only wish i could see the air on a microscopic level. but we cant have everything. all in all its a great buy.
1414 comments| 290 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 24, 2014
I gave them as small gifts to an 8 year old.& 10year old... I focused it..that took a little while to get it right.. it.we looked at onion skin cells...peeled the inside of onion piece came out thin enough to see long pointed cells..light works good..it's very small but it works with some effort. I think it's worth the money... even a savy farmer could use it out in the field or orchard.
on October 20, 2017
So they are not kidding when they say micro. It is pretty small. Small enough to fit in the pocket that's plus. But I wish it were a little bigger. The light helps a lot. And the field of vision is Very clear. My Boy Scouts are very happy.
on April 1, 2017
It works but it is a little too small and can be hard to see through the eye hole. The light is nice and bright and when you get everything lined up you can get really good views, just takes a little effort.
on January 9, 2013
I purchased this on a whim to 'fill out' another order where I ordered an item for one of my two kids. I figured it would just be fun for the other to open, play with, and would keep things even. But I have to say that this thing works very well. Magnification is so great that you can barely recognize anything. When you look at cloth, you don't see cloth you see the strands that make up each thread. If you look at printed text, each letter is typically too large to see as a whole. For the price, it's very cool. It's clear enough to see details and overall very impressive. Light is very bright, and is easy to see.
on February 1, 2017
works great when examining my gold coins in my coin collection