Luxury Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Mother's Day Gifts hgg17 Shop Popular Services Catastrophe Catastrophe Catastrophe  Introducing Echo Look Starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Shop Now disgotg_gno_17

Format: Blu-ray|Change

Showing 1-10 of 1,326 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 2,114 reviews
on November 6, 2016
This movie is primarily an anti-government film. It takes place in London. So for those who think this is an anti-American film seriously needs to re-take American History, READ the Declaration of Independence, and understand WHY we celebrate the 4th of July!! This film is Very PRO-American considering our foundation is Liberty and Freedom from Government.

Unfortunately, this film reflects what Europe and (especially) America are struggling through right now. Corrupt Politicians, State (biased) Media, and a population of SHEEP!! So Scary!!!

Overall this film is entertaining. There are some "campy" moments but overall good.

I still don't understand why "Anonymous" would choose this character. The character "V" used violence to defeat his enemies...for example. (*However...to NOTE: It does reflect the age of this group of people considering cult movies are "generational". Mine was "The Crow")

Even though Anon has shed truth in Politics; sites like Wikileaks still fails to deliver on the significance that Revolutions (against a corrupt Government) are mostly won through actual WAR not "Scandals" which seem to be their only ammunition. (*Hence the concept of a Peaceful Revolution is an oxymoron)
on December 30, 2014
This movie is powerful like only a movie of this nature can be. At times, it feels like it is depicting current state of affairs in America.

The movie is well done and feels like there is a deepness to it. It's an interesting movie even without the backdrop of current political realities. It has a bit of a superhero flavor to it so there is a lot of action throughout the movie so it keeps you pretty gripped into it. It's a movie that is worth your time if you like seeing parallels between art and life. (Weird for me to hear the exact same excuse on the part of those in charge of the torture in this movie - it was written in 2005 and the current excuse for torture comments today regarding the torture report release in 2014.)

The main character V was a political activist once tortured and escaped now sets his eyes on revenge not only from his torturers but of those in charge that created the torturers. He happens to help EV (Natalie Portman) who grows to respect and love V. I thought they all did a great job of acting. Natalie Portman was spot on though I do have a criticism for her character in at least one moment in the movie. (POSSIBLE SPOILER- DON'T READ ANY MORE If you are planning on watching) I don't know if anyone would forgive someone who tortured them at least not so quickly as EV seems to do with V. But otherwise, I enjoyed the movie, glad someone told me to watch it.
This is a review for "V For Vendetta - Two-Disc Special Edition", to give some information on the extras included with the movie.

This is one of my family's favorite movies. It's exciting and it's stirring. Comic book but complex. Superbly filmed and acted, but then it had an amazing graphic novel to follow. Here's comments from participants in the DVD extras on this 2-disc Special Edition that echo my feelings about "V for Vendetta":

Kevin Phipps, supervising art director: "You don't really know where you are, in terms of time. It's almost as if creativity has stopped." (extra #1)

Daniel McTeigue, director: "I think it's a political thriller, first and foremost. It is in the superhero genre, but it's also a play on that convention." (Special Feature)

John Hurt, who plays Adam Sutler: "The themes are serious. I'm not sure the treatment is as serious as that. But on the other hand, if it was as serious as that, I'm not sure that it would reach the amount of people that it's intended to reach." (Special Feature)

Stephen Fry, who plays Dietrich: "This is a movie about a terrorist. The hero is a terrorist. It's a very good ethical point, because as we all know, one man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter." (Special Feature)

Indeed, though I root for "V", he is not perfect. He wants the populace to stir themselves, stand up for themselves, and take their government back. But not until after he's had his vengeance.

DISC NUMBER ONE:
1. The movie. Spoken languages available are the original English and dubbed French. Subtitles available in English, French and Spanish.
2. Special Feature, 31 minutes: "Freedom Forever! Making V for Vendetta". This feature and extras 1, 2, and 3 were made at the same time. That is, when someone, such as the director, appears in more than one, you can tell that they were filmed at the same time. The extras compliment each other, rather than repeat each other. Interspersed with the interviews are film clips and production clips, too.
Participants include James McTeigue, director, who says, "I was the assistant director on the Matrix films. To live in the Matrix world is to know the graphic novel world."

DISC NUMBER TWO EXTRAS:
1. "Designing the Near Future", 9 minutes. Interesting stuff. The V mask was cast in fiberglass from a clay mold. It took the sculptor several tries. Most of the film was made at the Babelsberg Studio in Berlin. But there were crucial outdoor scenes that had to be filmed in England, such as at the end, where the mass of V's converge on Trafalgar Square on the 5th of November. It took 5 months to set up the 3 nights of filming; about 30 agencies/organizations had to give approval and/or co-ordinate.
2. "Remember Remember: Guy Fawkes and the Gunpowder Plot", 14 minutes. The history of the original gunpowder plot and how it's grown into an annual celebration in England. One interesting comment is by Sinead Cusack, who plays Delia Surridge. She was born in Dalkey, Ireland, and they have a different view of Guy Fawkes there.
3. "England Prevails: V for Vendetta and The New Wave in Comics", 24 minutes. This is about the comic book, or graphic novel. The camera-shy Alan Moore does not appear, but David Lloyd, who created the graphics for Moore's narrative, appears in several of the extras.
Karen Berger, executive editor of Vertigo, DC's edgier more adult-oriented company says: "V for Vendetta is in a class of its own. It's a brilliant piece of work. It's a commentary on society. At the time it was written, there was absolutely nothing being done like that."
The original comic book was published in black & white in England. Twenty-six issues were created before the publisher folded. Unfortunately, this was before V's story was finished! Both Alan Moore and David Lloyd were subsequently hired by DC comics, who saw the genius, and published a complete version of "V" in color.
4. Cat Power Montage. This is like a song video. Clips of the movie are shown while Cat Powers sings "I Found a Reason", from The Covers Album (2000)
5. Soundtrack album info
6. Theatrical trailer

Happy Reader
review image review image
on December 6, 2014
It had been a while since I'd seen this movie, so the time was right to revisit it. While it has lost a little of its power in the years since, there's no denying that it is still one of the most entertaining and provocative movies of the 21st century. Recounting the plot is almost pointless now, as most everyone who's into movies knows it at this point. What I can say is that all of the performances are excellent, in particular Hugo Weaving as V. Despite having a mask over his face, or being obscured through darkness, he manages to give a performance with a lot of depth and nuance. He might represent an idea or symbol, but he brings humanity to his character and more than a little bit of wit (and wordplay). I still think that Natalie Portman is the weak link in the cast, but she isn't terrible, by any means. As far as the technical aspects go, most of the special effects still hold up rather well and the film, as a whole, is beautifully shot. There's also some variation on the bullet-time effect that the Wachowskis popularized with their Matrix trilogy (and who wrote this screenplay). James McTeigue, the director and long-time Wachowski collaborator, did his finest directing work with this film in my opinion. Overall, with an engaging, well-acted story that has still has relevant political themes, you can't get much better than this. And may this film never be forgot.
on August 27, 2016
Bluray version of this movie is a solid effort. Video looks solid with good quality dark scenes which can often be butchered by transfer issues. I have an atmos audio setup and didn't get much from the surround sounds but dialog was clean and crisp. This movie is a very front channel centric movie. The movie itself is one of my guilty pleasures. The story's stage is set to show the ills of an all powerful government. That theme is something everyone should be aware of.

Anyone who supports free thought and is resistant to a tyranical government will enjoy the movie. Everyone else will be annoyed and Natalie Portman's performance. Her accent is a little annoying from time to time.
on November 7, 2016
I absolutely LOVE this movie and what it stands for, and every Nov. 5th I make sure is a part of my "holiday tradition". Not this year. Amazon had the worst audio quality I'd ever imagine~ pretty bad considering I even had to pay for it. I really want a full refund. I couldn't even watch it, because I couldn't hear it. And to make it worse, I had to buy it through YOUTUBE to be able to make it through. Just terrible.
~Edit: After processing my review, Amazon Customer Service did refund me in total. This brought the rating up to 4 stars, from the initial 1 star. I won't give it 5 stars, just because I'm not sure if they can adjust the audio quality, though the Representative did say they would forward the note to those who are in charge of that. I think I will just go and buy the DVD so I won't have to worry about this again.
on August 6, 2015
It's the future, and it's Great Britain. "Undesirables" have been purged from the country, to wit, in the words of the fictional, blowhard, government mouthpiece / TV personality envisioned by the Wachowskis, known as "Lewis Prothero", who pronounces to an audience of millions on TV, "We did what we had to do. Islington. Enfield. I was there, I saw it all. Immigrants, Muslims, homosexuals, terrorists. Disease-ridden degenerates. They had to go." In this nightmare future (although not that difficult to envision, unfortunately), America has economically failed, the Middle East went up in flames, and through nefarious methods, Britain has managed to survive, but at what cost(?), as the government is now controlled by a bombastic dictator. And how did that dictator manage to come to power, after all? And what does this have to do with the main character, a masked man / terrorist, known only as "V"? The clever relationship forms the central plot of the movie, and, for any intelligent person, the details also suggest concepts that may be more firmly rooted in historical reality, than we'd like to admit. William Randolph Hearst once boasted "You furnish the pictures, and I'll furnish the war!" In that quote, some essence of the "truth" of this movie may be gleaned. This unique cinematic experience, from the minds of the geniuses behind "The Matrix" series, serves to remind us that, at times (maybe all too often), things are less of what we'd like to (conveniently) believe, than what they actually are. Well worth watching. Highly recommend.
on July 4, 2014
The movie definitely felt forced at times. It was good overall, but it tried to draw a parallel between Guy Fawkes and liberation of a people, when the Gunpowder Plot was really more of a religious thing. Also, a lot of the movie was stupidly cheesy, like the emphasized super-human ninja skills' sound effects. I guess it was good for what it was, but if I wanted to watch a movie about torture in order to 'free' a person, I'd watch Saw. Though I suppose I have a soft spot for vigilantes.

One thing the movie did fantastically was create a dreamy/sexy character without actually ever showing him. V in everyday circumstance has a really cute and playful personality, but powerful and commanding presence when he goes public with his vendetta (seriously, no pun intended).
on March 15, 2017
Thought-provoking, and totally relevant movie that elevates itself above the comic book genre. Hugo Weaving perfectly embodies V who is, in my opinion, one of the greatest fictional characters of all time. The supporting cast does a great job as well. Also, looks great on Blu Ray.
on July 4, 2014
The film is thought provoking and intelligent. I had very high expectations going into this film as it has been on my to-watch list for many years and never got around to it. Many people told me about how great this film is. This film came in slightly under my expectations but that not due to any fault of its own but of the consistent hype it was given to me over the years. I plan to watch this film a few more times as the dialogue is lengthy, sometimes convoluted, but somehow still engaging and grips you. There was a few times during the film that I had to pause and rewind to understand what was said in the dialogue. It should be made aware to the general audience that this is by no means an action film. It is heavier on dialogue which I respected and the action when it took place was well shot. I would recommend this film to an audience that is interested in more than a summer spectacle and willing to put their brainpower to use.