Spring Deals Automotive HPC Amazon First Reads New-season heels nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Jordan Davis GNO for Samsung S9 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry SpringEvent_Lawn_and_Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now TG18PP_gno

on May 25, 2015
Here's the deal: Despite what the description says, this knife does *not* have a handle made of Victorinox' famous (and much-loved) Fibrox material. This handle is made of the same stuff as their "Swiss Classic" knives, which is not as grippy, and feels more like cheap plastic than actual Fibrox.

I know the above sounds sounds odd given the fact that this knife has the word "Fibrox" in its name and even (in some iterations) stamped on its handle and/or packaging, but trust me here; Victorinox is *not* making this knife with a *real* Fibrox handle. My wife and I determined this after ordering the knife from *two* different suppliers, and several customer support calls to Cutlery & More (a really good retailer that sells directly and here, through Amazon) AND VICTORINOX THEMSELVES.

Essentially (and this is a bit shady, in my opinion), Victorinox is apparently selling this exact knife under two different SKUs, but the only difference between the two is the packaging (and possibly) the stamping on the blade and handle... and NEITHER of the variants has a Fibrox handle.

Trust me - the truth is that this sucker is a Swiss Classic through and through, in every variation... and yes, I've used both Fibrox and Swiss Classic.

So, point being, if you're like me, and you really like Victorinox' Fibrox material and you want a Santoku, just know that *no* Santoku currently made by Victorinox / Forschner currently has a *real* Fibrox handle, and keep that in mind when making your purchase decision.

Oh... and since this is a review of a knife, and not just a knife handle, I will mention in closing that the blade is every bit as excellent as you'd expect from Victorinox / Forschner. I personally do use it for some chopping tasks - despite the handle - although my wife still prefers our trusty (and REALLY formidable) 8" Victorinox Chef's Knife with *real* Fibrox handle over the Santoku. In her estimation, the Santoku is really only on par with the Chef's Knife in terms of its chopping prowess; for slicing, the Victorinox 8" Chef's Knife is still simply unmatched for the price.
77 comments| 19 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on April 13, 2011
I have purchased two of these knives in separate orders.

The first is great, 5 stars, very sharp; it has stayed very sharp. The second noticeably struggles with sweet potatoes much more - I have tested on the same sweet potato. I rate it three stars (avg 4 stars).

Even after sharpening (with Fiskars 7861 Axe and Knife Sharpener), the knives' abilities are still noticeably different.

Unfortunately, the inconsistencies keep me from fully recommending this product; however, if you do get receive sharp knife it is excellent.
on April 5, 2017
The value and utility of Victorinox cutlery never ceases to amaze me. This santoku is very well made, holds an edge, is super durable and well-balanced. It's quite light, which will be something to get used to if you're acclimated to higher-end cutlery. Is this knife as nice as a Shun? Of course not. But you'll never beat it for the price.
on September 1, 2017
I love this knife and I love Victorinox. This brand has an excellent reputation. I have been using Victorinox for many years, purchased many items in Germany and was happy to see I could purchase on line. These knives hold an edge for a very long time and are quite sturdy.
on April 25, 2014
UPDATED Sept. 2017. I've been using this knife heavily for the past 2 years. The edge is very soft and prone to nicks and dents. DO NOT put it in the dishwasher, or (like me) blade-down in your dish drying rack. It's now got so many small nicks and dents in the blade that I'm going to have to replace it. I sharpen nearly every time I use it with a professional set-angle knife honer. I still love the knife, but will treat the next one with much more reverence and care.

I love this knife. I've been wanting a Santoku for years. I selected this one based on the reviews and am not disappointed. The knife is very well balanced and the handle has great grip, even when wet or oily. It cleans easily, too. It holds an edge pretty well, too. I managed to slice the top of a fingernail off, forgetting just how sharp the darned thing is, and how differently it cuts from my standard chefs knife!

This is my go-to knife. It holds the place of honor in my block and is the one I reach for first.
on June 23, 2017
great quality for the price! We mixed and matched a set of Victorinox knives and couldn't be happier! I did a lot of research and Victorinox appears to be the best bang for your buck. LOVE them!
on August 18, 2017
Great quality knife. My only gripe is that they didn't give much thought to the handle. It is very cheap looking. The blade, however, is very sharp and well made.
on January 30, 2017
Workhorse of my apt. kitchen. An 8 or 9 inch blade would have been ideal but satisfied with knife. I keep it scary sharp with a ceramic sharpening rod.
on November 27, 2012
Victorinox kitchen knifes are one of the best. The Santoku is perfect for general uses. The problem was it came in a ripped plastic case and the knife has fine scratch lines. So I don't know if it was an open box item or new as advertised. I kept it because the knife is excellent but has not shop at Amazon since.
on February 3, 2017
Great knife. I like using it and have actually gotten compliments from friend when they are cooking with me. I would highly recommend it for quality and price.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.