Truck Reviews Beauty Best Books of the Month Men's slip on sneakers nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Weekly One Fire TV Stick Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Shop by look Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Kids Edition Echo Dot Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite Find a new favorite show Find a new favorite show Find a new favorite show Shop now SWMTVT18_gno

on June 30, 2015
I've had this pitcher for about a month now and I want to remove a few misconceptions:

1. There is no issue getting the lid on and off. I'm unsure if it has been redesigned, or if it's simply not that hard, but as long as you flick your thumb at the slightly overhanging portion where the lid meets the handle, the top comes right off.

2. In the month I've had the unit it has not clogged. And I use this pitcher a lot because not only do I use it for drinking water, but I use this filtered water in my Keurig.

3. If you do your research, this pitcher and zero water are the only pitchers that are actually going to really clean your water of harmful contaminants. I had an issue with the zero water pitcher because it is more expensive and truly did smell like fish after a week or so. Not so with the Pur pitcher. Also, the Pur pitcher is the only one certified to remove some trace pharmaceuticals. While the odds of you having these specific ones in your water might be small, it's certainly a step up from brita. Britas actually only remove chemicals which are either a) not likely to be in your water because they are actually tested for in national water quality standards, or b) not harmful. If you actually want "cleaner" water (although the term is debatable given all US water sources are certified as clean when they come out of your tap) you must move past brita. Pur is one of only a handful of companies actually producing filters taht remove chemicals from your water that are NOT tested for in traditional water quality standards.

Bottom line, if you only care about drinking water taste, go ahead and get whatever filter you want, but if you actually want cleaner water, get a Pur pitcher.
9 people found this helpful
on March 16, 2016
Incredibly, I still have this pitcher after over a half-decade of use. I've been careful not to drop it of course.

What made me most happy about this pitcher is that even though it's plastic it has no plastic smell. After years of use the water still tastes fresh once it passes from the top reservoir through the filter into the bottom reservoir of course. I bought this for $20 back in 2010. It's 2016, so I've now paid $3.33 per year for this. It's an incredible value. I use it to fill my coffee machine, electric kettle, guinea pig water bottles, human water bottles :), and sometimes to water the plants (they deserve good water too). The filters work great and I re-order the 3 packs that last me "almost" a full year.

FYI, check out the reviews on the filter packs themselves since this product is connected significantly to them. There are ways to make sure the filters stay working really good & care help. The waters filters fast for the first 2-3 months and then slows down incrementally. But unless you need water fast... like in a hot climate in maybe Arizona or Las Vegas... no need to rush. But it's something to consider.

Lid: The button letting you know the replace the filter... I don't use it. Water isn't the same quality/purity in all states. Also, hold the back with your thumb when you pour. I've poured with the top reservoir full and, obviously, the lid isn't locked down so the weight of the water pushed it open (oopsie).
on August 7, 2014
I did a lot if research, and decided on this filter because it filters out pharmaceuticals. The fist thing I noticed after a couple of uses was the taste of water, it tastes great compared my Brita filter, and there is no comparison to our tap water. I also like the lid with a snug fit because it doesn't fall off every time I pour water. On the other hand the lid can be hard to remove, I don't know why they didn't make a lip on it, so it can be removed easier. The lid has an indicator which flashes after every pour, reminding you when to change filters. Please note that it doesn't stay lit, it flashes only after you pour water. Green for new filters, then yellow, and red when it is time to change it.
There is one major con in this product. The filters tend to get air bubbles trapped inside, which slows down filtering. It shouldn't take more than a couple of minutes to filter water (Pur website says it should take less than a minute, but it was never that fast for me), so if it takes longer, there are air bubbles. Pur website has instructions on how to correct that - you need to soak filter for 15 minutes, then shake it in the water, then tap it on a side of the sink to make sure filtering materials settles. It's a pain in the ass. It has happened to 2 of my filters so far, I don't understand why the company doesn't do something about filter design.
on September 8, 2014
I've had the model pictured in the listing under "standard packaging" for a couple of years, and was seeking to replace it with the revised packaging model pictured in the listing under "improved packaging" which shows a blue raised button on the lid. Overall the performance of the pitcher has been good, but the quality of the filters has been deteriorating over time..Supposed to get 3 months out of a single filter, but I have been lucky if I get 3 weeks lately. My pitcher was also getting a bit dingy on its exterior from fingerprints and kitchen grease, so I decided to replace it with the new blue buttoned lid (or so I thought), despite the filter quality, as I still have several filters on hand.
When I opened my new pitcher to set it up, I was surprised to find that it was the same design as the old pitcher (standard) rather than that pictured under improved packaging, which is the one I ordered and paid for. I was upset at this, but was going to keep it and set it up anyway but then discovered as I was rinsing it for first use that there was a huge crack down the side of the clear plastic, so I ended up returning it and will wait and buy the new design when I see it at a store. So if you order the "improved packaging model" make sure you get the right one.
on April 19, 2014
Admittedly, one star is a harsh score based on one flaw. But in two places on Amazon's product description page it claims that this filter removes lead, and the manufacturer makes no such claim. The error is repeated in Amazon's "Water Filtration 101" page. I thought I must have received the wrong product when the pitcher arrived and the list of benefits did not say anything about lead. I went to the PUR website where their Water Filter Comparison shows various brands of filter and states that only the ZeroWater filter removes lead. I upgraded from Brita to PUR on the strength of Amazon's claim that this filter would remove lead, and I'm disappointed to discover that I got no such benefit.
on June 9, 2015
I received the pitcher with a defective indicated light. I called the warranty company (KAZ) 1-800-787-5463, when I gave them the lot number the said that it had been setting on the shelf a very long time and the battery was probably dead so they sent me a new pitcher.
The water tastes as good as bottled water and I can really tell the difference in my te and coffee.
The lid is nice and tight so it won't fall off, to get it off I put the pointy end of a church key between the tabs on the lid and the blue part of the pitcher and the lid pops right off.
review image
on October 8, 2015
This is at least my fifth PUR pitcher, & I've purchased countless dozens of filters. Never have I opened a tightly sealed filter & found it wet, as the one that came with this new pitcher from Amazon. The pitcher was obviously brand new, wrapped in plastic, in a glued-shut box. Inside was the filter, also apparently new & in a sealed package. Yet the silver packing was definitely wet inside. Does the company repackage returned filters or what? I did pose a question here: "Is the filter supposed to be wet?" One customer said theirs was dry, another said theirs was wet. The filter comes with instructions to soak it for 15 minutes, so obviously THAT'S WHEN it should become saturated. I've NEVER received a wet one before--and now I don't know what to do with the 3-pack of refills I bought with this. Do I need to open them now? If wet, it will be too late to return them months from now when they are (one at a time) needed. Meanwhile, I did use this wet filter, but the water seems to have a metallic taste.
on November 16, 2014
As I'm neither chemist nor scientist, I can't vouch for the quality of the water produced, although I haven't gotten sick yet. I can speak for the design of the pitcher however. I suspect the LED indicator is just an indicator of how long the filter MIGHT last, based on how many times the pitcher has been tipped. That's OK with me, it's merely a gauge, an estimate. I really like the slimness of the pitcher, which makes it very easy to fit in the fridge. My only beef is with the difficulty in removing the cover for a refill. It seems it could have been designed better, as others have stated. It can be overcome, and again, it doesn't really detract from the overall usefulness of the unit as a whole. Keep your instructions for future filter replacements and for model numbers. I give the unit an overall five, in spite of the cover issue.
on February 17, 2016
It came and it cleans up our water so I'm happy. I thought at first that it was cracked but it seems like it is just how the pitcher was made. It doesn't leak. I haven't replaced the filter that came with it yet. The green light blinks whenever I pour liquid out of it or remove the lid to add cool tap water to it to filter so I'm guessing it works. It has only been in use for a few weeks at this point so I don't know if it will ever turn yellow or red. We'll see. If it doesn't turn yellow or red within 90 days of when it arrived we'll go back to using the calendar​ method of filter replacement that we used with the old Brita filter pitcher that this thing replaced. The local water is not bad but tends to run a bit hard so we filter it.
on November 25, 2014
Overall, this is a good product. The water comes out tasting very fresh with no chemical flavor. As another reviewer noted, it takes some practice to remove the lid. The best way I found is to grip the handle and use a thumb to pry up the back of the lid. The LED indicator is a nice idea, tracking the times you pour to determine when it's time to change the filter. There are 2 problems, though. When you remove the lid to refill, you have to be careful not to tilt the lid or it thinks you're pouring and it is attached to the lid with cover that is just pressure fit into the lid so you can remove it to wash the lid. I wish I had never done that though because after the first time of removing it, it never stayed in place for more than about 2 days. Then the whole thing falls down into the water. And of course you have to dry it thoroughly when that happens and reset it so it is no longer keeping accurate track of the times you pour.