Customer Reviews: Hill's Science Diet Adult Indoor Chicken Recipe Dry Cat Food, 3.5 lb bag
4-month subscription Amazon Fashion nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Electronics Holiday Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 Halloween Candy Cozy Knits Book 2 or More Hours of House Cleaning on Amazon bajillions bajillions bajillions  All-New Echo Dot Introducing new colors All-New Kindle for Kids Edition Frank Sinatra Shop Cycling on Amazon

Style: Adult|Size: 3.5 lb bag|Change

on January 15, 2012
I have two kittens both male persians. I've been trying different brand kitten foods, including fresh, canned, and dry. Of all the dried types I have purchased, they like this brand and the Purina One Healthy Kitten Formula. Each piece of food is small and bite sized for my kitten's little mouths. Each of my kittens are less than a year old. I like how Hill's uses a portion of the price I paid for this food and donates it through their Shelter Nutrition Partnership. I'm willing to pay a little more money for the kitten food knowing that a portion is donated to help animals have a more balanced nutrition. I will purchase this brand again.
on February 4, 2015
My kitten, a seal point Himalayan Persian, is pretty picky when it comes to food. She will literally not eat food for an entire day or two if she doesn't like a particular food. With this food she began eating it immediately. I was really impressed. It has decent ingredients as well. Food itself is pretty small. Perfect for Gia's little mouth. She loves this. I definitely repurchase this.
review image
55 comments| 61 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
The manufacturer commented on the review below
on April 29, 2013
Thanks, Hill's Science Diet, for reformulating this great dry cat food without telling anyone thus causing my cat to vomit all over the house. My cat had been eating this for nine years. We finished our last bag, went out and bought a new one, only to find the whole thing had been reformulated to contain much more fat. Further, since we were all out of the previous formula, there was no way to introduce this slowly to our cat. She gobbled it up, and has been throwing up for the past five days. We've added water and a little canned pumpkin to her bowl, and started giving her smaller meals to help her sensitive tummy adjust, but I'm beginning to think that there is something wrong with the food itself. In any case, it's awful that they changed the formula unannounced.
1919 comments| 81 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
The reviews here on Amazon seem to be for a variety of products, ranging from kittens to adults. To be clear, I am reviewing the Science Diet dry cat food for adults, aged between 1 and 6 years.

I got my cat from the local animal shelter about 7 months ago and she is now about 2 years old. She has become a treasured pet. The Hills Science Diet company provided food to my local shelter as to many others: a classic example of doing well by doing good. I received a complimentary bag when I adopted my cat.

I did some serious research on cat food and learned more about it than perhaps I care to know. Informed views vary, as with virtually any subject, on the merits of dry versus wet cat food, on the qualities of different brands, and on cost.

On dry versus wet -- I feed my cat predominantly wet food consistently with most but not all recommendations. But she gets at least some dry food daily and I feed dry food when I am going to be out of the house for most of the day, as it can be eaten at the cat's own pace. Make sure the cat has plenty of water available.

Hills Science Diet is a long time manufacturer of pet food with an established reputation. This dry food for adult indoor cats is a high quality product which has been advertised as suitable for weight control, with proteins and antioxidants. The product is nutritionally complete and balanced in accordance with established and recognized standards (AFASCO). With some wishful thinking, perhaps, I have designated my cat as "indoor" although she looks yearningly outside. She had this food at the shelter and after some experiementing I have settled on it as her indoor cat food. She always eats it readily, both when I feed it as her daily food and when I feed it as a supplement to her wet food, and leaves nothing left over. The food comes in small pellets, sometimes triangular but more recently round in what I think is an improved version. I am confident in and trust this product and the cat likes it. It has received high reviews from impartial and capable professional reviewers. I have relied upon several detailed reviews in addition to my own experience with the product.

The product is not the most inexpensive, but it is worth it. It is not as easy to find as supermarket brands but is reasonably accessible.

All told, an excellent dry food for an indoor cat. I am happy with it, the cat is happy with it, and I enjoyed learning about it.

Robin Friedman
on December 9, 2015
We recently adopted a kitten and were completely unprepared (we did not have any kitten food on hand). Luckily he came to us with a bag of food from the wonderful woman who rescued him off the streets. I rather quickly checked amazon for kitten food so that we could transition him to a new food that was available for subscribe and save.
He really likes it, which is good because he was so small and underweight for his age that he needed to gain weight fast, and has successfully done so despite the amputation of one of his legs. We of course supplement him with a can of wet food daily, to help him in gaining his needed weight.
One of our favorite things about the 7 pound size bag of this food is that you can reseal it with the velcro top. It makes it very convenient and easy to use...much better than the larger bag which does not come with it.
If you get the larger bag you will not get the benefits of a resealable bag...and you may very well end up with a bag of kitten food that has opened up during shipping and is ALL over the box.
review image review image
The manufacturer commented on the review below
on February 10, 2014
This is my first review. I usually never bother, but after experiencing my cat getting sick and resorting to the internet to find out why, I decided to let everyone else know what I found out. I bought this food, after looking into a healthier alternative for my 3 yr old Siamese based off of a friends recommendation that I should stay away from Purina and other 'grain' based feline diets. I switched my cat over and he seemed to like it just fine. He tends to be a gobbler, so I portion control him and have him eating from a feeder ball, (<WHICH IS AWESOME BTW)
He immediately started vomiting, but knowing how my cat likes to eat his food too fast, I wasn't worried. When he started doing it multiple times throughout the day, and his litterbox usage started getting irregular I became worried. My BF even remarked that it seemed odd and thought it might be the food. I came home today and there was yellow bile vomit on the floor which he has never done. I immediately started researching why and if I need to take him to the vet and I found this link as one of the top results: [...]
Needless to say I'mtossing this bag right now and going out to buy my cat something else! All of the good reviews were from an older version, the 83 1 star ones were from the past couple months of the new improved formula. And I don't want to be one of those parents putting down their furry friend for trying to put them on a healthy diet. ;(
1212 comments| 68 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 9, 2010
My cat is picky, especially when it comes to dry food. She will happily go days refusing to eat anything if I push a kibble she doesn't like on her (damn torties!. I switched my cat from friskies to Hills Scienc Diet when she grew to adulthood. Then I decided to try one of those natural diets, with no fillers, and only uses real meats and blah blah blah. One she wouldn't go near, and the other she would eat reluctantly. Except the super active, petite 7lb 4oz tortie grew to just over ten pounds, waddled when she walked, because she was horribly obese, and slept 24 hours a day, waking up only to eat, and her coat was staritng ot lose it's shine. That scared the hell out of me! So I switched back to Hills. With a week, she was starting to show interest in toys again, and was already starting to lose that swaying flabby fat belly. Now she's back down to 7lb 7oz, and very active, healthy, and happy. I will NEVER switch her food again!
on January 6, 2016
When we adopted our main coon he had the worst gas! Who knew something so horid could come out of something so small. This tiny kitten who only weighed a few pounds could clear a room with one fart. Our Vet said it was his diet so we went for the best. Well it took about a week for him to adjust to the new food but since then, no more gas and he is a happy growing spoiled boy! We are sticking with Hills Science Diet. It may cost more but its worth it! Plus its cheaper here on Amazon than anywhere else.
review image
on July 9, 2015
My 15 lb 8 yr old Maine Coon (who has a more than healthy appetite and whose vet has her on a 2 scoops a day diet) has completely REFUSED to eat this! She is NOT that fussy an eater but for 3 days now, I have not given her anything else (other than her fountain water and a couple of Dentabites for her teeth)... but her tray is still sitting full.

She is not happy about this and meows and paws at me pleadingly. I am not going to deprive her or force her to eat this so I have bought her regular Meow Mix so she will eat again. I will just have to monitor better for her weight control.

Now I gotta find another cat owner who maybe wants this stuff because I have already opened it and cannot return it.
on September 12, 2016
I purchased the 15 pound bag of this food on Amazon, because I normally just get the small bags from the pet store and I figured that I would save money just by buying the big bag. My cat has been eating this exact variety of food for a while now, and usually I just get a new small bag every month or two and free feed her the kibbles. I like that the bag has the velcro closure instead of the zip-top closure which keeps the food fresh, since the zip-top closure never seems to work. However the kibbles in the 15 pound bag are ENORMOUS, much bigger than the kibbles in a 3.5 pound bag I'd buy from the pet food store. They are so big, they look like dog food. My cat eats them, but when she chomps them up she drools out kibble crumbles and so her dish ends up filled with kibble crumbles that she doesn't want to eat, thus she's wasting at least 1/3 of her food. I bought the bigger bag thinking it would be a better value and I end up having to dump out the excess food crumbles all the time because the kibbles are too big for little kitty mouths to eat.