Shop Auto Winter Products Beauty Get $5 off book purchases over $20* Use promo code GIFTBOOK17 Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. STEM $24.99 for a limited time only Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video  Three new members of the Echo family Black Friday Deals Week: Fire tablets starting at $29.99. Limited-time offer. $30 off Kindle Paperwhite Just Dance 2018 Shop Now HTL17_gno

on March 25, 2008
Kenny Rogers was at the peak of his career when I was growing up and he's always been a big favorite of mine. I've been looking for a good digitally remastered compilation to replace "20 Greatest Hits" which has got pretty poor audio quality when played alongside of music that was recorded more recently. I came across the CD "21 Number Ones" at Target. I was tempted to buy it but decided to wait until I got home and check the reviews on Amazon. After reading about the improved audio quality, I decided that I really wanted this collection and decided to download the mp3 version.

I was a bit disappointed to find that the mp3 version of the album that is available on Amazon contains six fewer tracks than the CD version, excluding all of Kenny's RCA recordings and the Sheena Easton duet "We've Got Tonight". I figured the RCA tracks were unavailable due to licensing restrictions, but why "We've Got Tonight" was exlcuded was a big mystery, since it was originally released on the Liberty label, as were most of the tracks in the collection. I deliberated about whether I should just order the CD, but then I discovered that most of the missing were available for download on another digitally-remastered set "A Love Song Collection". In the end, I was able to piece most of the album back together by purchasing "Number Ones" and some selected tracks from "A Love Song Collection." I'd already bought "Buy Me A Rose" from this set a while back, and I opted not to purchase "Islands In The Stream" since there's a perfectly good remastered version of this song on "The Essential Dolly Parton". The only track I couldn't get was the Ronnie Milsap duet "Make No Mistake, She's Mine", which was my least favorite song of this collection anyway, so that was no biggie. It took a little effort and ended costing $1 more than buying the CD, but it had the advantage of not having the tracks shortened to squeeze them onto one disk, as another reviewer had lamented.

Kenny Rogers recorded so many wonderful songs that have stood the test of time. Many of these songs could be hits today. Some may complain that they are more pop than country, but I think it is just great music -- and far better than the fodder that is spoon-fed to us by the sad state of affairs that is modern country radio. The oldest recordings in this set are over 30 years old ("Lucille" was released in 1977) but you would never know it from listening to them. They sound as if they were brand new recordings. I've never heard these songs sound so sharp and vibrant, which brings a whole new level of enjoyment to them. Listening to this album has brought back a lot of wonderful memories of when I was growing up. This collection is one that I will be playing quite a lot. I highly recommend it.
on February 18, 2016
Great Sound!
This is Kenny Rogers as I remember his songs - from the past! Powerful, emotion-filled, awesome. Only downside is that it doesn't have 2 more of my favs: "You Are So Beautiful" & "Ruby, Don't Take Your Love to Town." Otherwise - I am very happy with this digital copy!
on January 17, 2016
You really can't go wrong w Kenny Rogers ever!! My step mom loves him. They took me to see him in concert a couple years back. The man still has it! The newer artist could learn a thing or two from this veteran country artist. Another album of beautiful sung songs!!
on May 11, 2017
Absolutely the best of Kenny Rogers!!!
on May 6, 2014
I believe he could record "Mary had a little lamb" and make it sound like a classic. What he sings always seems to have a "meaning" which is special in an of it's self. If his name is on it, it's special . He brings back so many memories in people's life. HE is a classic!!
on September 20, 2014
Before the plastic surgery, the home design career and the cheesy commercials, Kenny Rogers had more platinum selling records than ANYONE! The incredible voice, the great story telling... you will remember just how good he was in his prime.
i never realized how much I really liked him until I purchased this album. I bought it for the Gambler, but love all the other songs now as well. Thanks!
on March 3, 2014
He sang with some great ladies of country music. his songs are beautiful. I fully recommend this album. Especially at the $5 cost. very underrated....I think its too sad that today's music industry just toss these guys to the side for a quick buck and flash in the pan artists...
on April 1, 2015
Wonderful
on March 26, 2013
I moved to west Texas from Asia when I was 10 years old. It was quite a culture shock but Kenny Rogers' songs helped smooth out some of the sharp edges of acclimation. I remember painstakingly writing the lyrics down, playing certain parts over and over to get the correct words and arguing with my siblings on what Kenny actually said. Good times... ;)