Customer Reviews:
Oct16 Amazon Fashion nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Electronics Holiday Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 New Professional Skin Care Cozy Knits Book 2 or More Hours of House Cleaning on Amazon bajillions bajillions bajillions  All-New Echo Dot Introducing new colors All-New Kindle for Kids Edition Frank Sinatra Shop Cycling on Amazon

• Customer Reviews

on January 10, 2011
After almost half a year being terrorized by the kitten from hell, this IRIS 3-Tier Cat Cage has rescued me! I named my black kitten Sony, after my love for their brand of shiny, black, quality electronics. Imagine my broken heart when I came home to a scratched up 55" inch Bravia, courtesy of the little devil.

A few complaints:

1. The box it came in looked like it had fought with a trash compactor and lost. Holes everywhere, corners severely frayed, shipping tape coming off it, almost unsealed! Had I not been so desperate to contain the handmaiden of Satan tearing up my apartment, I would've sent it back immediately.

2. The instructions don't clearly tell you how to use the wire fasteners. I was frustrated for a good 30 - 45 minutes trying to figure out how to get them to work properly. Once I figured it out, however, the rest was smooth sailing.

So eager was I that I had the 2nd floor of the cage backwards! But this was a small setback; once you figure out how to fasten and unfasten the rest of the assembly is a cinch! Should've taken me about 30 mins to setup, had I not been fiddling with the fastener for so long!

Once assembled, I locked Sony in it. He clawed, he climbed, he dug, he chewed; but his attempts at escape were FUTILE! MWAHAHAHA! He has since given up his fight, and is sleeping in it as I type this.

This cage is HUGE. It is taller than me (I am 5'6" with shoes on). To put it into perspective, I have a large enclosure type litter on the bottom floor, food and water on the 2nd floor, and a bed and scratching post on the top floor. My kitten is a big guy and can leap onto kitchen counter tops without a head start, so he's comfortable leaping from floor to floor.

It is VERY sturdy! Sony jumped onto the wall of the cage; I'm sure that in his conniving and terrorizing kitten mind, he had imagined it would tip over. It did NOT. The IRIS 3 Tier Cage held its ground!

I have had this cage assembled for the passed 3 hours. I am convinced that it is worth every penny I spent on it, and I only wish that I had trusted my instincts and bought this BEFORE trusting my kitten to my apartment.
3131 comments| 199 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 7, 2014
Cinnamon chases and torments Rita relentlessly, especially when I'm not there to intervene, to the point where poor Rita is losing weight because Cinnamon won't let her eat. Naturally, this is unacceptable. I bought a condo so Rita can have her own space to be able to sleep, eat, drink, and use the bathroom in peace.

The condo is sturdier than those made by Midwest. The gauge of the wires is thicker and the whole thing has a more durable feel. Putting it together was a snap. I only wish they offered a cage with epoxy coated wires instead of just silver.
review image
44 comments| 120 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 2, 2011
I ordered The three tier cage (for two cats) thinking the cage was going to be a lot smaller. I was worried about how the cats were going to do and whether or not the cage would be worth my time and money. Well it was!

This cage is very study! It make move a little if the cat scratches himself or jumps to another tier other than that small movement this cage could stand up to anything! It is very tough and durable I am sure it could even work as a traveling cage. Though I don't know many people that take cats on vacation but I would want to!

The cage is reversible! This was one thing that I was worried about. One of the doors was right up against my hanging closet, so in other words it was never going to open. I did a quick switch and the door is now on the other side of the cage and I can still reach the cat in the upper tier.

The tiers are large! I was looking at other cages for my cats and they were so small of levels. I thought they would just fall off! These levels fit two cats. I placed a Kuddle Kup Faux Suede for Cats - 23" x 18" - Sage on each level and it fit beautifully!

You can add many levels or expand your cage! If you have time and talent you could easily expand the cage for more tiers or or space. The set up of the cage is so simple that each of the parts could be used elsewhere and put together differently. Though you would have extra parts left you easily could create your own cats paradise.

Most litter boxes will fit! Now if you have a litter box with a top on it it most likely will not fit but any litter boxes that do not have a lid fit easily in and out of the large bottom door.

The doors have a very good latch system! The doors are shut using pins that can even function to hold the door open so you don't have a swinging door.

It has wheels! My goodness this saved my life. This thing is heavy and if it didn't have wheels there was no way I would have been able to drag this. The wheels also have stoppers which work wonders so the cage doesn't move at all.

It is expensive! I guess you are paying for the sturdiness of the cage but my goodness it that expensive! But I'd say well worth the safety of my kitties!

The bottom door is huge! I mean HUGE! So you would have to have enough space around the bottom to be able to open and close it. Also the bottom door does no have a place to hold it open so it may get in the way.

It is HUGE! This was one of the main problems when I got it home. It was tall and bulky. So with easy maneuvers i managed to fit it in my room. If you are looking for a cage to fit in a perfect little spot make sure to check the measurements and an an inch around just to be safe! This is NOT a small cage.

With all that aside this cage was amazing and had great elbow room for my kitties! I will be adding pictures to show how I set up my cage and how much room it gives them. I am very please with my purchase and plan to buy another one!
review image review image review image review image review image review image
on May 26, 2014
We have a multiple cat household and a white cat around nine years old named Isis. Over the past year she has pretty much isolated herself from the other cats, staying in our downstairs bedroom for awhile under the bed and then on a nearby window porch only getting down to use the litter box and eat. Then things got really bad for her as the other cats starting picking on her and she was too afraid to come down off the perch. We purchased this cage for her so she will have a safe space to eat, sleep and poo in peace and almost immediately we saw a difference in her, she was calmer and more relaxed. The cage itself is a great size and we have hers in the guest bedroom close to the window. The perches are roomy and she doesn't have any difficulty getting to and from the levels. She has no desire to come out and it's driving the other cats crazy...she has all the cool stuff with her own litter box, scratch post, food including fresh grown catnip and a sleeping level with a soft and cuddly pad. Isis is in a great place and she has plenty of space, she is about a 9 pounds, and loves her new house.
22 comments| 65 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 10, 2015
I purchased the white version of this cage about a year ago and I couldn't be happier. I have a senior cat, 15 years old, who howls pitifully as soon as the lights go off at bedtime. Then at the crack of dawn he uses mafia tactics to wake me up by jumping all over the bed, howling, and pushing objects off of my dresser. This cage solved every problem! I feed him in here at night and he goes to sleep on the top shelf. In the morning I let him out, and leave the doors open for litter box access. It took him one or 2 days to adjust, and now there's no more howling :) I have his litter box in the bottom, food and water on the second shelf, and his bed is on the top with a few small pillows to cuddle up with. Top of the cage has become a popular hangout for the other cats, I put some pillows and a scratching pad up there.

There are so many great features to this cage - I hesitate to call it a "cage" because it's so roomy, and you can make it quite inviting for your cat. The doors close with a generous gap so as not to pinch paws or tails. It comes with a wheel stop so it doesn't roll all over the place. It's a quality piece and shows no signs of wear after a year of daily use.

The cage needed a few mods:

- The trays were noisy and flapped around when the cat landed on them, so I secured them down with a zip tie end. Look at the photos to see how I did this - the picture explains it a lot easier.

- Grandpa Cat needed a booster to hop from one level to the next, so I added a small box on the floor and 2nd levels for this purpose (see photos). There is a lot of space between the levels so if your cat is old or arthritic I recommend adding boosters. The woven box on the bottom doubles as a scratcher!

- I removed the chains from the pins because they were so noisy.

The only drawback to this cage is it's hard to keep the bottom level tidy when litter gets trapped under the metal edge. Some patient work with a hand brush does an okay job, I'm sure a hand vac would work even better. This is a minor gripe, I'd still recommend this 100%.
review image review image review image review image review image
on November 13, 2010
We love this cat structure and so do our cats. First thing we did was to take suggestion to get think yoga mat and cut to shape to place under the shelves so they don't rattle and startle the cats when they jump up. The next thing we did was to use wires ties to secure the shelves to the wire supports they rest upon. That keeps the shelves from flipping out of their supports. The final step we took was to put a couple of wire ties to reinforce the clips at the base of the wire upper structure. We couldn't be happier with the outcome. It is attractive and secure.
on August 1, 2014
We have had this cage a couple years now. It was a wise choice to house our elderly cat. It is easy to set up, sturdy, easy to clean and maintain, and the shelves are metal with plastic trays that would support a larger size cat. To soften the noise of cat jumping from tier to tier we placed some rubber maid drawer matting between the wire shelf and plastic tray. That worked very well and the tray stays in place perfectly. We ended up getting her a litterbox that has access through the top lid and works very well to keep litter in box. Our cat has been happy in it but she does like to be free to roam the house when Im home. Our cat would only drink out of a dripping faucet until I found a Cat-It fountain. We have one of the smaller ones in her cage and she loves it. Anyway that's our set up and again, we highly recommend this cage over the others on the market...and so does Lucky!
on June 26, 2015
I now have 4 of these (cat rescue person). They are roomy, the shelves are big enough to fit a good sized bed on the top shelf (for summer leaving the top shelf empty for a cool space and hanging a hammock for snuggly/warm space is a good idea), food in the middle and a relatively large litter box will go through the bottom door well. It does shake a bit when a larger cat jumps between shelves and the plastic clips at the base have been known to pop open from time to time and need to be reclipped.... but I've had other 3-tiered pens and this one has worked out the best so far.

A couple of bits of advice: 1. I recommend not assembling as shown in the photo -- put the upper shelves by the doors, not on the other side of the pen -- that way you can access the cat(s) and shelves, not open space. 2. Reinforcing the connections with inexpensive plastic slip ties can help with stability.
on May 5, 2013
This cage is made with heavier material than the Cat Playpen by Midwest Homes that I also have.
The IRIS has the bottom attached to the cage part so when litter or anything is spilled you have to unlatch and remove the cage to clean. The Cat Playpen has a slide out tray in the bottom.
Both are on wheels and move easily and about the same size. The IRIS only has 2 large doors compared with the 4 the Cat playpen has (2 side by side on each level which with both open to about a 2 foot square.
The Cat Playpen is easily folded to the size of a card table for storage the IRIS does not fold, It has to be dismantled.
The IRIS has a bigger footprint which gives more room on the levels than the Cat Playpen.
After having then both for semi feral cats, I prefer the Cat Playpen for it's ease in cleaning, the four doors and the ability to fold it for storage.
77 comments| 74 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 16, 2016
This is the best money I ever spent. We live on a military base and the cats are not allowed to roam. My two boys love their cage (we call it a playhouse). The instructions say not to put outside, but this has held up well with no rust for over a year underneath an outdoor covered lanai. I have placed bathroom rugs on the shelves for comfort and placed rubber shelf liner under the shelves to make them let noisy and bouncy. I also have an awning (left over from a previous outdoor pay area, the kitty walk, which could not stand up to Hawaii sun and moisture ) that I use as a sun shade. depending on time of day and heat, I also have an old sail cloth shower curtain I place over one side to block the Hawaii sun. They spend hours there (always supervised) lounging, napping, watching the birds, bugs, geckos. I can tell they feel safe there as they often lay on their backs exposing tummies. Sometimes the clasps which connect the base come undone, so I always check them before I put the boys in the playhouse. My cats are huge, both over 20 pounds and it does rattle when they go from shelf to shelf, but nothing major. They usually don't want to come inside, I have to shake a bag of cat treats to get them in
review image