Top positive review
211 people found this helpful
Excellent concept and function ... unsure about quality
on April 4, 2011
I needed a stand to place on my dresser to elevate my 37" LCD (30 lbs). Didn't care about swivel stand and was apprehensive it would swivel too freely and contribute to the TV toppling.
What attracted me the most to this stand was its nice appearance and more important it's tremendous 9.5 inch elevation ... most stands are around 4-5".
After spending less than 5 minutes setting it up I developed some positive first impressions and one negative.
Positive: 1. It is very simple in design and construction. Two particle board shelves, with the swivel assembly firmly mounted to the bottom.
2. The swivel carousel is large in diameter with absolutely no suggestion that the attached shelf (base) would tip left or right.
3. The shelves appear very strong, nice wood grain veneer, and assembly holes very cleanly drilled.
4. When assembled, the unit is tight with zero sway. It's rated to hold 60 lbs., and I have no doubt that it will easily manage my 30 lb. TV.
5. The swivel assembly is tight. It will easily swivel at the touch but will not do a high-speed 360 when the cat pushes it.
6. The wide open area between the two shelves is very welcome as I was wasting valuable dresser real estate. My guess is that two components of normal width can be stacked in this area, say 2 out of 3 of a VCR, DVD, Cable Set Top Box or DVR. Only consideration is the 23.6 inch width less the supporting poles at the corners.
Negative: The plastic construction of the supporting poles and especially the lightweight plastic tightening "screws" at the ends of the poles do not inspire confidence, although they are tight and the unit does not sway, as mentioned.
One reviewer indicated that 3 of his 8 "screws" were broken and he knew the package had been previously opened. I can easily believe this is exactly what happened. I'd bet the farm that the previous owner over tightened them. That's a guarantee for disaster given the flimsy character of these "screws". With the money they're making on this item, they could have and should have supplied metal supports and "screws" (end caps).
In all, this is a nicely designed very functional enhancement to any TV setup where the TV is on an elevated surface as a dresser or larger TV stand.
My rating would have been 5-star were it not for the plastic components.
Given what's available to meet the need fulfilled by this unit, I recommend it to you. Please be careful with the assembly and do not over-tighten the plastic "screws".
Thanks for reading ... Sam