Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Book House Cleaning _fof _fof _fof  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis Trade it in. Fund the next. Shop Now toystl17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 222 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 250 reviews
on January 4, 2017
BEWARE: These cross bars do not include the end caps! The picture shows them with end caps, but I was surprised to find that they were not included. They are an additional costs... which isn't very surprising considering the fact that Yakima sells all of their products separately.
The bars are very nice. They are very heavy, and seem as though they are a very high quality.

I will update this status as time goes on to show its durability and ability to maintain its paint, etc.
on August 6, 2013
I think that when one pays around $80 for 2 pieces of coated pipe, Yakima could damn well throw in the caps without charging $11 for them, especially considering that they're marked "Yakima" and advertise the company.
on April 24, 2017
I had four old sets of bars, but damaged the 58" set when the rack fell off my car (although there are clips made for my Honda, the car itself was a very poor platform for a roof rack with clips, so I got the landing pads that screw into the roof, and now it works well and I wish I had done it years ago). Anyway, the new bars are slightly less diameter than the old ones. I can tell since I have clip-on fairings that go around the bars and now they flop instead of stay where they are put. It seems like the vinyl coating is slightly less thick. But they are nice and shiny and smooth unlike any of the other decades-old bars.

Like everyone else mentions, they don't come with end caps. I got an 8 pack of vinyl caps on ebay for less than $5 (search for "8 Pack Vinyl Caps-Fits 1" to 1-1/16"- 3/4" Inside Height") These fit nicely with a bit of stretching and most of all, are removable like the old-style caps. If you use the stupid plugs that Yakima sells now, that are not removable, you can't use the bars in any other rack system that requires the bars be threaded through, like control towers, unless you mangle the plugs to remove them.
on April 10, 2016
I've had a few Yakima products in the past and these are as good as the previous ones. Yes, they are just bars, but the quality and strength are still there. I have these installed on the bed of my truck with Yakima BedRock Multi-Sport Truck Bed Rack System and it works well. Yes they did not come with end caps, but the Yakima Bed Rack System I bought did include them. Not sure why they don't include them when you buy the bars though, but check to see if the rack system (I assume your going to get also) does include them. I use them to hold 4 bikes when we go camping. They flex a bit with the 4 bikes, but I'd rather have that to absorb the shock of my trucks stiff suspension rather than beat them up and destroy the bike carriers. I think of it like a shock absorber for the bikes. After using them for a while, I'd buy them again definitely.
review image review image
VINE VOICEon March 7, 2011
The Yakima roof rack went onto my Jeep Cherokee in less than 30 minutes with two adults standing on either side. It installed easily and exactly according to directions. The directions were thorough and straightforward.

Luckily I was able to look at different racks at local stores while deciding what parts I actually needed to transport our sailboats and to understand how they all fit together. Yakima's website gave me the exact size of Raingutter Towers for my car. I purchased Yakima RoundBars Roof Rack Cross Bars (66-Inches),Yakima 1A Raingutter Towers - Set of 4, and the Yakima SKS Lock Cores for Yakima Rooftop Car Racks. There is another styrofoam piece available for transporting boats but I found that it was not necessary. Once I knew what parts were needed, I compared prices, and found the lowest prices for 2 out of 3 of these items were from Amazon.

I purchased this item for transporting my sunfish sailboat (14') or my 15YO's laser sailboat (16') after years of struggling with different solutions to move the boats around. We used to have to use a trailer or to tie one down on top of my Jeep, or in some rather perilous cases, both. The other solution was to get the Commodore to come move one of our boats in the back of his pickup. While this solution worked well for me, it was not his favorite.

This roof rack has performed perfectly. It has also given us peace of mind while we are on highways with one of the boats on top of my car.

UPDATE: When I came to get the product name for another product review, imagine my surprise to see this message: This does not fit your: 2001 Jeep Cherokee. YES, IT DOES!
review image
on March 24, 2017
Super easy to install, but I do get wind noise from the rack, planning on trying out the bungee cord wrapped around the bar idea. Other then the noise, can't complain at all. these seem to be well made and should last many years. I was impressed at the quality, i was expecting much lighter bars as that is how things seem to go these days...
on February 26, 2014
The bars themselves are fine, but there is a hum or whine with wind noise across the bars. I have had Thule bars for the last decade, but had to switch to Yakima because Thule does not make a fit kit for the 2013 Subaru Outback (I wish they would, but too late now). The new fit kit isn't wonderful either, but I was surprised that a round Yakima bar would make more noise than a square (Thule) bar - logically, it ought to make less noise and have less drag. I got to thinking about it - those fairings to move wind over the bars - you see those with Yakimas, but hardly ever with Thules (maybe this is due to the noise issue). I will keep the bars, since I don't have a Thule solution, and I will see if I can come up with an idea to quiet them that does not involve additional investment in a fairing - but my overall rating of this is that I wish Thule had done a better job in following the Subaru market so I didn't have to settle for these noisy bars...
on July 2, 2014
If you just buy the bars, they will howl and you will be upset. Just suck it up and buy the fairing. The noise will stop and you won't even know you have the rack on your vehicle! They should just be part of the kit.
on June 20, 2017
These work great on the JK wrangler. Im running these 66" round bars with 1A towers. I use them for hauling paddle boards. This is a great rack for those who don't want the heavy and bulky cage style racks. The wind noise sucks, but you can take the rack off when you don't need it.
review image
on September 4, 2016
Bars are okey-wish they would have packaged caps with bars instead of with QTower and DryDock Hitch-kinda strange. Wish the inside of the bar would have been threaded to match the caps so they could be screwed on-had to use a rubber mallet to assemble. Bar installed on my DryDock Hitch has become a little bowed perhaps due to the constant tightening of the stability straps.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.