Shop Auto Winter Products Salon Beauty Get $5 off book purchases over $20* Use promo code GIFTBOOK17 Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. PCB for Musical Instruments $24.99 for a limited time only Try it first with samples Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video  Echo  Black Friday Deals Week: Fire tablets starting at $29.99. Limited-time offer. $30 off Kindle Paperwhite Just Dance 2018 Shop now HTL17_gno

on April 24, 2017
I had four old sets of bars, but damaged the 58" set when the rack fell off my car (although there are clips made for my Honda, the car itself was a very poor platform for a roof rack with clips, so I got the landing pads that screw into the roof, and now it works well and I wish I had done it years ago). Anyway, the new bars are slightly less diameter than the old ones. I can tell since I have clip-on fairings that go around the bars and now they flop instead of stay where they are put. It seems like the vinyl coating is slightly less thick. But they are nice and shiny and smooth unlike any of the other decades-old bars.

Like everyone else mentions, they don't come with end caps. I got an 8 pack of vinyl caps on ebay for less than $5 (search for "8 Pack Vinyl Caps-Fits 1" to 1-1/16"- 3/4" Inside Height") These fit nicely with a bit of stretching and most of all, are removable like the old-style caps. If you use the stupid plugs that Yakima sells now, that are not removable, you can't use the bars in any other rack system that requires the bars be threaded through, like control towers, unless you mangle the plugs to remove them.
on April 10, 2016
I've had a few Yakima products in the past and these are as good as the previous ones. Yes, they are just bars, but the quality and strength are still there. I have these installed on the bed of my truck with Yakima BedRock Multi-Sport Truck Bed Rack System and it works well. Yes they did not come with end caps, but the Yakima Bed Rack System I bought did include them. Not sure why they don't include them when you buy the bars though, but check to see if the rack system (I assume your going to get also) does include them. I use them to hold 4 bikes when we go camping. They flex a bit with the 4 bikes, but I'd rather have that to absorb the shock of my trucks stiff suspension rather than beat them up and destroy the bike carriers. I think of it like a shock absorber for the bikes. After using them for a while, I'd buy them again definitely.
review imagereview image
on August 11, 2017
Make sure you order 2 sets of clips along with towers and poles. A set of clips for each set of towers.
I'm half way done installing this system on my 2013 CRV (waiting on my second order of clips) and it seems sturdy enough, just not very good looking. As I'm sitting here after spending $350 for this system, which is incredibly overpriced (think about it, each set of clips, which are only 2 pieces of 4" metal is $20-$30 dollars each) I realize that I should have bought the 3rd party rails and cross bars for my Honda. It would have been a little more expensive, but it would have looked nicer.
VINE VOICEon March 7, 2011
The Yakima roof rack went onto my Jeep Cherokee in less than 30 minutes with two adults standing on either side. It installed easily and exactly according to directions. The directions were thorough and straightforward.

Luckily I was able to look at different racks at local stores while deciding what parts I actually needed to transport our sailboats and to understand how they all fit together. Yakima's website gave me the exact size of Raingutter Towers for my car. I purchased Yakima RoundBars Roof Rack Cross Bars (66-Inches),Yakima 1A Raingutter Towers - Set of 4, and the Yakima SKS Lock Cores for Yakima Rooftop Car Racks. There is another styrofoam piece available for transporting boats but I found that it was not necessary. Once I knew what parts were needed, I compared prices, and found the lowest prices for 2 out of 3 of these items were from Amazon.

I purchased this item for transporting my sunfish sailboat (14') or my 15YO's laser sailboat (16') after years of struggling with different solutions to move the boats around. We used to have to use a trailer or to tie one down on top of my Jeep, or in some rather perilous cases, both. The other solution was to get the Commodore to come move one of our boats in the back of his pickup. While this solution worked well for me, it was not his favorite.

This roof rack has performed perfectly. It has also given us peace of mind while we are on highways with one of the boats on top of my car.

UPDATE: When I came to get the product name for another product review, imagine my surprise to see this message: This does not fit your: 2001 Jeep Cherokee. YES, IT DOES!
on March 24, 2017
Super easy to install, but I do get wind noise from the rack, planning on trying out the bungee cord wrapped around the bar idea. Other then the noise, can't complain at all. these seem to be well made and should last many years. I was impressed at the quality, i was expecting much lighter bars as that is how things seem to go these days...
on June 20, 2017
These work great on the JK wrangler. Im running these 66" round bars with 1A towers. I use them for hauling paddle boards. This is a great rack for those who don't want the heavy and bulky cage style racks. The wind noise sucks, but you can take the rack off when you don't need it.
on October 21, 2017
Nice cross bars, with the A1 towers they work on my 1969 beetle. Then only problem I had was that they were obviously a return with missing parts and lots of installation marks. They will be on the roof of the car so no big deal.
on July 14, 2017
They work as well as any other yakima product works. In switching vehicles, I had to go from the 48 to the 58. It is nice that I only had to change out the bars and get a new windscreen (thanks to eBay).
on September 29, 2017
I have a little over hand across the roof of my chevy colorado. but I knew that in purchasing them. With these bars I can mount both my fishing kayaks above the roof of my truck. I use them in conjunction with Yakima Hully Rollers and Mako Aero Mounts.
on July 19, 2017
The bars are great! The only reason I'm not giving five stars is that the photo has end caps, which did not come on the bars. I need end caps. So I had to stop into an REI store and buy them for $10 while I was on my road trip. The bars are well made and very effective otherwise.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.