Your Garage World Book Day STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Amazon's Choice Computers Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Mother's Day Gifts spring Shop Popular Services Bosch Bosch Bosch  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $89.99 Kindle Oasis National Bike Month on Amazon disgotg_gno_17

Showing 1-10 of 3,071 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 4,254 reviews
on March 14, 2015
This is a story about Clary. A 15 year old girl who gets her world turned upside down after a night out in a club. She encounters things she never knew existed and finds out later exactly why that is. After a fight with her mother she runs out with her best friend Simon, and finds out that her life will never be the same after her mother is kidnapped. Clary is determined to get her back no matter what, so she takes in the help of Shadowhunters Jace, Alec, and Isabelle. The rest you will have to read to find out :)

I hate to start this review this way, but I want to be honest. I have had this book on my shelf since 2008 and I never bothered to pick it up because I just didn't know what I'd feel about it. I'm mad at myself for this. I decided to finally read it because of the movie coming out. I really need to start reading all the books that I have been scared to read because of it being more fantasy. I have read a lot of fantasy recently and have loved every one of them. I'm being sucked in more and more.

Clary you learn to love. You feel so bad for her, because she is short has red hair and finds herself really unattractive. She can be a pain in some of the chapters because of her stubbornness but I have a feeling that it is really going to come in handy further down the road even more than it has in this book. Just in this book she has grown up so much and I hope that continues throughout the other books. I learned to love all the characters, even the ones with jealous tendencies like Isabelle and Alec. I think it is just how they were raised though. Jace, Isabelle, Alec, Simon, even Luke let you more into who they are and more explanations come out throughout the book.

I like that this isn't just humans, it has a little of everything, faeries, demons, werewolves, vampires, witches, warlocks. There are parts in the book about the worlds that a lot of books tend to explain the same way, but then you also learn more about the worlds too.

You get sucked into the pages. This isn't a book that leaves everything for the end. There is action and suspense throughout the whole book that makes you not able to stop reading it. The writing flows so well. The page count can be intimidating but the wording is bigger than some books though so it doesn't take as long as you would think to read it. It is easy to fly through it if you have the time to sit and enjoy it.

I can't wait to start the next book and I especially can't wait to go see the movie! Thank you movie for making me have to read it, I can't wait to devour the rest of the series!!
on October 24, 2016
I really wanted to love this book. The world Cassandra Clare built is so interesting, even if it is pretty crowded with so many different creatures. I loved the first half of the book. It set up the world and story nicely. It was light, not overly serious. Not the best writing, but it didn't have to be because the story didn't take itself too seriously. It was fun.

The second half, not so much. The reasoning may be that I was no longer in the mood for fantasy or that I'm probably too old for this book series (yeah, well, people older than me read YA AND I do read adult books. YA gives me a sort of breather between adult books). Though there were good scenes and characters in the second half, it fell flat. The characters introduced in the first half became annoying. I felt like many of the emotional scenes were beautifully initiated, but we're not capitalized on and I didn't believe the characters in the aftermath of said scenes.

Then came the ending and the huge "twist(s)" that ruined some of those emotional scenes so horribly, I actually shouted "really?" I did predict one twist pretty early. The second I suspected, but was a but surprised (and a bit disappointed it happened). Without giving away spoilers, thr first thing that popped in my mind was Star Wars. Though this is something not seen often in YA fantasy love angles, I didn't care for it. I had to spoil some plot lines in books further in the series to feel better about this because I really wanted to read the entire Mortal Instruments series as I own three of the six books, the entire Infernal Devices trilogy, and Lady Midnight of the Dark Artifices. So, I have a lot of money invested in the purchase of these books and have committed myself to quite a bit of time in at least the next nine months, or so. Plus, it is promising that Cassandra Clare is said to get better in her writing and plot structure in each subsequent publication. I will continue with this world, even if it stumbled along in the first book. Cassandra Clare does have an addictive quality to her writing and I will keep going.
on March 31, 2017
I enjoyed this re-read way more than I had in the past. I am leaning towards the television show playing some sort of part in my enjoyment (because I am enjoying the television show a lot more than I had expected to) and it has convinced me to give this series another shot. I still have a lot of issues with some of the writing choices, but I really enjoy the dialogue between the characters and I enjoyed the action scenes. I found myself liking the characters more also, which was a shock to me because I remember not being a huge fan of them originally.
on March 29, 2016
If you love paranormal books this one has it all. Awesome first book. Clary and Simon, BFFs, are drawn to a teen club that starts the beginning of a world they never imagined. A world Clary was born to be a part of.
This book has it all. Vampires, Werewolves, Whichs, Worlocks, Fairies, demons, and to keep them all in order, Shadowhunters. Action packed with a little young love, and family drama mixed in. You will not regret reading this book. Never a dull moment in these pages.
on March 29, 2017
Okay...this book had a lot of hype and while I did enjoy it, especially about halfway through until the end, that MAJOR PLOT TWIST has me reeling. I hope there is someway that this isn't really true because I was liking the way it was going before that. I am shocked about that because if that stays true...well...ick. But I will definitely keep reading this series to find out and keep up with the Shadowhunter adventure!
on October 15, 2013
I liked the premise of the book, and was then shattered by the realization that I was reading a modern Americanized pseudo version of Harry Potter, with a mix of everything tweenie. I recognize that tweenie is not a word, but it makes sense in my opinion in my review of this book. I gave it 4 stars because I like paranormal stories, and this one kept my interest, plus I love Harry Potter. I didn't give it 5 because it didn't quite grab my attention long enough for me. Maybe I am too old for this book, as I am way beyond my teens.
on December 12, 2016
Things are about to get rather dicey for the young Clarisse Frey, what she thought would be another night out in a club, turns out to be a glimpse into another world. She was not supposed to see Jace and Alec killing a demon but she did. When her friend Simon walked in on her all he could see was her talking to herself. As though things could not get worse and ugly demon attacks her house and kidnaps her mother. Enter Jace and Alec again and Clary goes to the institute. At the institute she learns about another world, a world that her father and mother were connected to. Clary now finds that her life has a central purpose, to find The Mortal Cup. The mortal cup turns mortal into fighters against evil.

Clary is now seeing a world where vampires exist and have feuds with werewolve, both of whom are infected with demon disease. There are warlocks and witches the spawn of human and demon love. The Nephilim are the sons and daughter of angel an human love. Clary is not supposed to see this world after all she is a mortal. So off she travels to the city of bones to have the silent brothers open her mind and tell her why she can see this world. Next she goes to Magnus Bane who put the spell on her mind in the first place.
In a fast paced adventure to rescue her mom and stop Valentine from getting the mortal cup Clary and company will travel through portals, fight of vampires and learn secrets about her past that she has never known before. This story has romance , inner conflict an romantic triangles. A must read or the young adult reader
on November 9, 2013
I think the story has good bones. It has a lot of potential but doesn't quite dig deep enough for my taste. While it was enough to keep me turning the pages, I felt the end lacked resolution. Now I'll give that it is part of a series so it doesn't need to be neat and tidy, but the major plot line should come to a close or at least a plot line. This ended with loose ends all over the place and as I continue to think about it there is very little resolved in the end other than the main character knowing the facts of who she really is and she has her mother back, but not in a way the brings closure. It's worth a read if your looking for a vacation book, but I've definitely read better within this genre.
on March 4, 2017
I have picked this book up so many times and I just could not get past the first one or two chapters. I do not know what was holding me back. I think since I was reading this so late and there are so many more books in the series, I have been turned off. I finally grabbed the audio book for a long road trip to see if I could get into this popular series.

The audio book narration was only ok. I did not love it, but I thought it was enjoyable enough to finish it.

I actually really enjoyed the story and the characters. There were some twists and turns along the way that kept me interested and I am curious to know who some of these twists will unfold throughout the rest of the series. I like the ending as it left you wondering who to believe and what would happen next with each character.

I really loved Jace. He is so sarcastic, but I enjoyed it and found myself smiling or laughing at some of his quick comebacks. I also enjoyed the other characters and look forward to seeing how they each grow in the next books.

Overall, I am happy I finally finished this book. I look forward to reading the rest in the series.
on December 20, 2012
I can't wait to see this on the big screen, although in reading it I think a TV series would be more entertaining as there is a LOT going on. But the way networks are, they'd probably kill it before giving it a chance! The book does not really make it clear that the "Shadowhunters" are angels but they are "Nephilim" so it's pretty obvious. The author takes you straight away into the story and builds the characters along the way so there's no long "preamble" to wade through before getting down to business, The characters are believable and you immediately start picking your favorites. Then "Downworlders" were obviously well researched and their "lore" or "backstories" are treated with respect. The Seelie courts of the fey, the vampires, werewolves and every other fantastical creature is included which makes it really interesting to see all of these in one story. It's a basic good vs evil story but with twists and turns all along the way. I am alreayd deep into book two, just waiting to see if the relationship that is whispered about all along the way happens or not -- and it woldn't be so bad to see the bad guy go down too!! Thanks Cassandra for a great adventure!