Amazon Business Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 March Birthstone Book House Cleaning billions billions billions  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis Trade in and get paid instantly Shop Now STEM

Showing 1-10 of 105 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 123 reviews
on January 17, 2011
Background: I'm 30 years old, a scratch golfer that plays 1-2 times a week, 9 months out of the year. I also am a penny-pincher and that is why this product interested me.

After borrowing several of these types of yardage-advisors from family and friends (I've tried Skycaddie, Bushnell Pro V2, and Bushnell 1600), I liked the rangefinder better than the GPS. That, to me, was the easy part. I wanted the PinSeeker technology but didn't want to pay for the top-of-the-line model. I should have bought one of these several years ago. Of course the PinSeeker technology is relatively new, so maybe I'm glad I waited. Anyway, my father is 60 years old and he uses the higher-end Bushnell, the 1600. I have played 3 rounds with his 1600, and several rounds with my Medalist, as well as a couple with someone else's V2 in a tournament. There is a difference in the models, and if you're a rich golfer who doesn't care about an extra $150-$200, go ahead and buy the 1600. It's got greater magnification and although it's a little bigger, it's really quick to target in on the flag/bunker/lake/etc. It's great. If you're looking to save a little cash, I would buy the Medalist (from what I saw it's about a $70 difference vs. the V2). Medalist vs. V2 comparison:

Battery - Medalist uses a 9V battery, which are much easier to find and less expensive than the 3V battery in a Pro V2. Advantage to the Medalist. Battery life supposedly is about the same. Remember to carry a backup battery.

Orientation - you hold the Medalist oriented horizontally, the Pro V2 vertically. I will admit that the V2 seems more natural, but this meant very little to me.

Magnification - the Pro V2 is a little stronger, but after using the Medalist for 6-7 rounds, it has yet to let me down. I've shot 270+ yards to a pin. My dad and I often shoot each other's distances to verify the number and sometimes it takes me a tad longer to lock on than him with his 1600. But again, that meant very little to me. And our numbers have ALWAYS been +/- 1 yard, even from 270+.

All in all, if you're looking for the cheapest option with solid pinseeker technology, this is it, and it's worked well for me.
0Comment| 182 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 18, 2008
I have used the Medalist for five rounds now, and I'm very happy with the results. On the first outing I was having the same difficulty with stability that others have reported. I found it a bit inconvienient to have to rely on bracing against the cart, especially since there were cart-path-only restrictions in place. Being an advanced amature photographer, I've often used a mono-pod to support my cameras. I gave it a try with my Medalist and it proved to be the ideal solution. The pod with Medalist attached, slips easily into a club slot in my bag, but I need to be careful about slinging the bag around, or letting it drop. I attached the case, using a lanyard, to the mono-pod, and slip the case off and on the Medalist, just as I would a club cover. This offers some protection, but the case is not extremely padded, so I still need to take care. When needed, I pull the unit out like a club, flip the lever to extend the leg, and take my reading with perfect stability. Throw it back and the bag and grab the correct club. Works very well for me!

I love that I can read distances to pins and bunkers on any course without ever having to purchase gps downloads. Plus I can read distances to fronts and backs of bunkers, trees, rocks or what have you. And it works whether I have a tree cover or cloud cover as well. All I need is a line of sight. The Pinseeker function seems to work nicely also. I am still taking a couple of readings at the pin, just to build confidence that I am actually reading the pin and not something else. All in all, I am very happy with my purchase.

(7/19/11 addition) Three years later my Medalist is still working great. I believe I have only changed the battery at the start of each season. Not because they were dead, but because I figured 1 year/battery was pushing it. I also lost the dang cover during the 1st year of ownership. I now tape the battery in place instead of replacing the cover. It looks funky but hey, so do the people I play golf with haha. Besides, from all of the reviews stating loss of battery covers, I figure the odds are that I will find another one somewhere, sometime. If I had another cover, I'd tape it down anyway.
on July 13, 2009
I thought I was spoiled by playing at a course with a GPS on the carts, but the pinseeker has been an added pleasure. It's easy to use. Even if your shaking, you'll still get an accurate reading, so someone who is elderly shouldn't have the complaints that I've seen over the years on some models of rangefinders. The advantage this has over the GPS is it gives the exact measurement to the pin, not to the front, middle and rear of the green. Ideally, having both sets of information would be great, but given the choice, the pin measurement is more beneficial. It also works in close whereas the GPS turns off near the greens and you can't drive your cart on all fairways, especially near the greens, so you can get more consistent with your short game. Some of the newer models have more information regarding altitude variations, which would be nice.
on July 15, 2011
I have owned two Bushnell Rangefinders in the past and was confident of their quality when I bought the Medalist for my wife to use. Both she and I were disappointed to find that it would give you a series of inaccurate readings which would vary as much as 30 yards. I would compare the distances shot with my Bushnell Hybrid and the Medalist was always off by 10-30 yards. We compared the readings throughtout the round and the Medalist was never right. Needless to say, you lose your confidence in yardage displayed right or wrong. I retuned the Medalist to Amazon and recieved a full refund no questions asked. I love Amazon. I have now ordered a Busnell Pro for my wife and expect that it is of higher quality. You buy cheap you get cheap.
on May 6, 2010
This product is amazing for the money. I wasn't sure which model to go for in the end, as i know of people who have the 1600 and the V2 Tour. This is just as good as these other two products, yet this one is $100 possibly even $200. My advice to any golfer out there who is wanting a rangefinder, this would be the perfect one. This is exactly what i wanted at a price i could afford. 100% Happy with this purchase. Thanks to Amazon getting this shipped to me in 2 days for FREE!
on April 28, 2010
I bought the Bushnell Medalist Range finder specifically for a golf trip to Palm Springs CA. I played everyday on unfamiliar courses and found it very easy and quick to use. It adds almost no time to your playing; the pin seeking feature holds the distance to the flag easily. One tip, you need to establish a place on your golf bag where you always store your rangefinder and duplicate your routine before every shot. I'm concerned abour losing it, and I think putting it on your golf cart or storing it someplace different whenever you play could distract you when you are finished. Of course, there is a bit of a learning curve, on the 9th hole at Indian Wells I shot the distance at 118 yards to my parter. While he was swinging, I reshot it and got 99 yards. Naturally he pured it and hit it onto the cart path and onto the practice green. He was not happy. Now I always shoot it a couple of times and think if it seems right. Overall, It is a terrific tool and has really helped my certainty of club selection.
on December 27, 2011
I play golf about once a week and needed a range finder to help me with those shots were you can't determine the distance that easily by the course markers.

So I bought this one based on the price and the fact that it has the pinseeker technology, and hoped it works as well as everyone says.

The short answer is yes it does, but better than that. With this model you can shoot other distances just as easily. For example say you shoot the pin distance at 155 years, and the pin is tucked behind a sand trap. If you can see the back face of the sand trap you can shoot that distance to know how far you have to hit the ball to make it over the bunker too. You point the circle of the laser at that back face and it reads out the distance, say maybe 145 years. So you know you can to carry the ball over 145 yards to miss the sand trap too.

Another good use is when teeing off and you need the distance to trees or bunker in the fairway, with this you can shoot those and see where to aim the ball or what club to use. How many times before I had to guess those distances but not anymore.

I use this and store it in my golf bag with the zipper open so I can get to it easily when needed.

Overall I am very pleased with this product and would recommend it for the price conscience person that wants the top technology but an entry level product. It has worked great for me so far!
on May 24, 2010
I used to have the Bushnell Tour V2 and it worked great but I lost it and it never got returned. I bought this one because of the drop in price made it really attractive. I don't like it quite as much as the V2 which was vertically held and slightly more compact, but the Medalist works very well. The biggest difference I see is I have to double check the readings to ensure I got it right. I always do that anyway, but it seems I get a few more false readings with the Medalist than I did with the V2. Do the double check and you should be good to go and happy with this one, especially the price. I paid $222 delivered.
on September 5, 2011
Purchased this as my entry level rangefinder. Have GPS devices but wanted rangefinder. Shipped/Received in adequate time. Amazon process was good. Upon receipt,the Medalist would not read proper distances. I would get several different readings that were several hundred yards apart in sequence. Played a couple of rounds with it with virtually no use. Attempted to get other rangefinder and even Medalist owners to use to determine whether problem was user error. All confirmed that the device did not work properly. Made the mistake of sending to Bushnell for repair/replacement. Even offered to pay for upgrade if they found problem. The problem was extreme heat damage. Rangefinder was never off of my bag other than when I had it inside my home. Clubs kept in garage. Never even left in hot car. Anyway, at first, they only offered to allow me to upgrade but for an additional $296.00! That's what the upgrade costs retail. I owned the Medalist for less than four weeks. They didn't even give me the option of repair. I had to call them to convince them to repair the item and now I'm going to have to pay for shipping back.

I will not purchase another item from Bushnell. All products can be defective, but their post-purchase customer service leaves something to be desired.
on January 25, 2013
Performs as well as expected. Functions very good with flag sticks that have reflectors on them.

I have read several reviews where users have complained about the battery cover coming off of the unit. The only time mine had a problem like that is when it was dropped by accident. I have found that if the rangefinder is treated like any delicate instrument should be treated, it works flawlessly. In other words, DON'T DROP IT !!

I have found this rangefinder much easier to use than the more expensive models of Bushnell Rangefinders like the Tour V3 which are smaller and harder to hold steady

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.