Shop Auto Winter Products Salon Beauty Best Books of the Month Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. STEM Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop STEM Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Despicable Me 3 available to buy Despicable Me 3 available to buy Despicable Me 3 available to buy  Three new members of the Echo family Save $50 on All-New Fire HD 10. Limited-time offer. $30 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now HTL17_gno

on January 10, 2010
To gain more space for camping equipment, I assumed I'd need a cargo box, but once I learned of Thule cargo bags I reconsidered. The obvious benefit of having something light weight that can be stashed in a bag made a lot of sense. So I poured over the positive user reviews of many alternative vendors' products available on Amazon. I ultimately chose the Tahoe because it has the most space, it's durable, and it doesn't require a specific spacing for the roof bars. I'm completely satisfied. It takes me about 5-10 minutes to strap it onto the bars, by myself. I'm able to put 2 tents, 2 kids chairs, 2 sleeping bags, 2 pillows, and 4 mattress rolls in it, by myself. One could probably get more into it, but my 2001 Sienna's bars are in a fixed position so a portion of the back of the bag rests on and behind the back bar. I don't know if they were necessary, but I went ahead and used 4 bungee cords to secure each corner to the roof rack side brackets. I'm especially pleased with how the zippers operate because I have to really stretch to reach the one that runs along the back of the bag and pull it with one finger. The bag is now stashed with the rest of the camping equipment.
26 helpful votes
27 helpful votes
11 comment|Report abuse
on April 6, 2014
bag was great, however it wasnt 100% water-tight. The other problem I had was there are no straps holding it from side to side on my roof-rack. So during a few stops I had to keep recentering it on the rack as there wasnt anything to hold it in place. on the trip back, I just rigged the way I strapped it down to avoid this & it worked. The bag held up great, & I will plan to use it again & again.

On our trip home, I simply just stuck the luggage in trash bags & everything remained dry.

We had rain going & coming back.

Let me also state, this bag is so much better than the hard carriers...it conformed to the luggage better & we could stufff alot more stuff in it then planned. From a size standpoint, our trip was a 1 week vacation to Florida from Indiana with 2 adults & 6 kids so storage was great.

For the money, I give it an A+, I'd a givin it a 5 star rating had it been 100% watertight. I'd highly recommend if you do buy it, use garbage bags for your luggage, remember if water gets in...it doesnt drain out.
on July 1, 2013
Great product and a lot more space than the hard cover ones. Easy to use and one person can put it on the car unlike the hard tops that generally need two people to lift it on top. The expansion part is nice and adds a lot more space. We purchased this for our trip back to the Lower 48. It travelled 2800 miles through dust, wind, rain, snow and sun. Our stuff remained dust free and dry.

Although driving through "sheets and sheets" of rain our stuff did get wet but not drenched. Plus it was raining very hard for the last 300 miles. I am surprised the stuff did not get more wet than it did. (It was raining so hard there was a "No Travel advised" for that portion of the Interstate) I believe your stuff will remain dry through your typical rain storms or rainy days. And only the stuff packed near the zippered portion of the cargo carrier got wet the rest was dry.

Great product for the ease of putting it on the car, the expansion space, and overall toughness (like I said it travelled 3100 miles total). It is priced just right too!!!
on December 13, 2013
Purchased and used this recently after debating over the hard top case and this one, the reviews were decent so we thought we would give it a try. We drove 6 hours in decent weather (no rain), this freed up a lot of the space in our trunk and surprisingly held quite a bit of stuff! We purchased the mat that you can buy separately on the "recommended items" list and that was good to protect the top of the car and was inexpensive, so worth it. Another member had recommended to safety pin the loose straps to the bag when you have tightened it completely so they do not flap around while you are driving, great recommendation, we did that and had no issues. The best part of this is that it was so easy to get on and take off and stores itself nicely in a little bag (included0 in the garage so doesn't require a lot of space when not in use. If you need some extra space in the car this is an affordable way to go!
on August 25, 2012
I needed a way to bring 2 daughters and all their belongings off to college. Although I have a mini-van it usually is barely large enough for the stuff of one student. I didn't want to bring 2 cars 300 miles, or rent a trailer, or pay for the large expense of a hard carrier and its required cross bars (up to $800). I had doubts about the sturdiness and stability of a bag. Although I read that original equipment side rails would be adequate for this bag, I still had my doubts. Well I returned from the trip and I can say I am very happy with my decision to buy this bag. There are 2 hooks on each of the 4 sides of the bag. I simply moved the 4 straps from the front and back to the sides to attach to side rails. These are the instructions included with the bag. I bought a package of 2 Masterlock lashing straps on Amazon for < $7 for added peace of mind. I laced them through the front and back straps and secured them around the side rails. I checked the bag and straps a few times during our trip. It did not move at all. There was plenty of room for 4 people and all the items between the mini-van cargo area and the roof cargo bag. A small padlock can be used to secure the zipper for a small amount of security. Here is one more tip for parents of college-bound kids: you can buy bags that can be attached to a vacuum cleaner to "shrink-wrap" bedding items such as pillows and comforters so that the volume is reduced tremendously.
on April 22, 2013
We went with the bag instead of a rigid carrier for two main reasons: it takes up less space, and if we happen to forget it's on the roof when we pull into the garage, it'll do less destruction.

We have a 2007 Acura MDX and it fits perfectly and securely between the fully extended rails. On the first trip last week, we went up to Vermont in the rain and snow with it half full and items in contractor trash bags and everything stayed dry. On the way back the cargo bag was filled to capacity - one large duffel, two medium suitcases, one small duffel, and a huge bag of dirty laundry. I did not bag the items on the way back and two of the bags on the rear sides did get damp but not drenched.

The 867 fits a whole lot but also adjusts to smaller loads very well. For the premium cost, I would have liked it to come with straps for the side rails in addition to the front and rear straps. The side compression straps were tough to clip together when I had the back stuffed to its limit - those could have been made a little longer. As for not being completely waterproof, when you consider that the bag is subjected to sustained hurricane conditions, I suppose it is unreasonable to expect a single zipper to keep out driving rain.
on June 14, 2011
The bag arrived quickly. It comes in a great little tote bage that I used to store another travel box in while the car top bag was in use. At first this bag seems inadequate but once in place and the expansion zippers are undone it becomes quite spacious. I fit all of our luggage inside (for my wife, myself, and our three daughters). The bag stayed in place for the whole trip. To unload I actually left the bag packed and pulled it onto a luggage carrier at the condo as a unit. On the way home the weather report showed rain. I had purchased a box of heavy lawn bags and put our luggage in them prior to loading the cartop bag. This was fortunate because the rain was heavy and lasted for at least fourty five minutes to an hour. By the time we arrived home and unloaded the inside bottom of the carrier was wet and holding a small amount of water. Thanks to the trash bags our luggage was relatively dry. This carrier never claims to be water tight. Over all I think it is a good product that I have no trouble recommending. It is tough, durable, and attractive as these bags go and with the right wet prep done you should have no problem.
4 helpful votes
on August 9, 2009
Overall this is a good bag and gets the job done as advertised. The bag will never look like the advertised photo but it's pretty close. We were able to fit 3 large Nike duffel bags and 2 smaller duffel bags with ease. We could've probably stuffed more in there but were content with what we were able to fit. I was stuck on whether or not to buy a hard top vs this bag and by far the bag was the best decision at least for us, simply for storage reasons. This bag folds up nice into a carry case and you can easily store it in a closet. We had no room for a hard case so we would've had to leave it on the roof all year long which wasn't ideal for us. The most challenging part of the installation was the fact that our cross bars go from side-to-side and not long ways. This presented a challenge because we could not get all 4 straps to reach the cross bars. Since I was already purchasing additional locking straps for security reasons we were able to resolve this issue easily.
10 helpful votes
11 helpful votes
on March 26, 2014
My Honda cargo bag that I had developed a rip along the seam and was unusable. Googled around for a bit and decided to go for this one as a replacement. Very glad I did. Sturdy material and more space than I need for a luggage to cover a week long stay of a family of four. Easy enough to put up and take down from my SUV. I have driven through rain with this and everything inside stayed nice and dry. I would recommend using zip ties or something to wrap up the spare strap after tightening it down to keep it from flapping against the roof of your car when you drive. No issue so far after quite a few a couple of years and many 8 hour trips down the road!
on June 12, 2012
I bought the cargo bag for a 1300 mile road trip. We were a group of 4 adults and 2 kids with not much storage space inside the vehicle for our 9 day journey. We just had side rails, not cross rails, and the bag installed easy enough. I believe cross rails would have given me more piece of mind, but it was plenty secure. We did use some bungee cords for added security. Electrical tape and safety pins were awesome tips and we didn't have any problems with the straps flapping around.

We encountered about 4 hours of rain during one point ranging from light to moderate (most of the time). Additionally we sat parked in a traffic jam for 40 minutes in the rain. We had seen the weather report so had all our luggage in trash bags. Nothing got wet and the inside of the bag just felt damp to the touch.

I didn't notice any major impact to gas mileage.
0Comment|Report abuse

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.