Industrial Deals Beauty Oprah's Book Club STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Book House Cleaning _fof _fof _fof  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now toystl17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 714 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 758 reviews
on March 19, 2016
I'm dedicated to making sure my cat is properly fed so she lives a long and healthy life as an indoors cat. This dry food is the best bang for your buck you're going to get on a dry food that meets all the nutritional requirements for a cat that it is possible for a dry food to meet (cats need to eat wet food too and ideally you should supplement with some raw food as well like Stella & Chewys). My cat has been eating this for over a year and her coat is super soft and shiny and people always comment on how 'bright eyed and bushy tailed' and playful she is. She is an obviously happy and cheerful cat and I think this food, which she loves, plays a role in that.

Overall, these are some reasons why I choose Merrick:
- Their dry food is grain free
- The food is produced here in the U.S. so it's not being shipped long distances
- They use USDA inspected meat
- They've been around for 25 years and seem to be recommended by vets

Take a look at the ingredient list for yourself. It compares well to other premium cat foods and is high in crude protein.

Ingredients - Chicken (Deboned), Chicken Meal, Potato (Dehydrated), Turkey Meal, Chicken Fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols – a source of Natural Vitamin E), Sweet Potato (Dehydrated), Dried Egg, Natural Flavor, Yeast Culture, Dicalcium Phosphate, Lysine, Sea Salt, Alfalfa, Salmon Oil, Choline Chloride, Acai Berry (Dried), Blueberry (Dried), Yucca Schidigera Extract, Rosemary Extract, Taurine, Zinc Amino Acid Complex, Chondroitin Sulfate, Glucosamine Hydrochloride, Chicory Root, Marigold Extract, Lactobacillus Plantarum, Enterococcus Faecium, Lactobacillus Casei, Lactobacillus Acidophilus, Iron Amino Acid Complex, Vitamin E Supplement, Manganese Amino Acid Complex, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Copper Amino Acid Complex, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin D3, Niacin, Lecithin, Riboflavin Supplement, Biotin, Ethylenediamine Dihydriodide, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Cobalt Amino Acid Complex, Folic Acid, Thiamine Mononitrate, Sodium Selenite

Calorie Content
3780 kcal/kg (calculated)
One pound provides 1719 kcal of metabolizable energy (calculated)
One cup (100 grams) provides 409 calories
*Caloric content calculated using Modified Atwater Method

Guaranteed Analysis
Crude Protein (min) 36.0%
Crude Fat (min) 18.0%
Crude Fiber (max) 3.0%
Moisture (max) 11.0%

If you found this review helpful, please take a moment to vote :).
on July 26, 2013
There are no by-products in this cat food. The first few ingredients are as follows: Salmon deboned, chicken meal, potato dehydrated, Turkey meal, chicken fat, sweet potato, dried egg product, yeast culture, blueberry dried, organic alfalfa meal, salt, sodium phosphate, salmon oil, taurine, choline, yucca, zinc, chicory root, pot marigold, rosemary extract, dried lactobacillus, and about 4 other lactobacillus words that are way to long to spell. after that it is all vitamins. There are no artificial colors or flavors. The only thing i'm not sure of is what is actually in the chicken meal and turkey meal. But, I will say this is the best dry cat food I have ever fed my cats. I have six of them and I have now bought 3 different flavors and subscribe and save which saves a ton of money. My cats are all fat and healthier. My cat litter boxes do not stink. I was cleaning them out twice a day and if one of my cats used the litter box with their old food I had to clear out the house it was so bad. I now clean my two litter boxes once a day and I have six cats. With this food they don't eat as much, they don't beg and bother me all day long for wet food and the overall health of my cats is wonderful. I have a cat with hyperthyroidism who takes medication twice daily and I could not get him to eat anything but wet food or he would starve. He still gets wet food three times a day but he also freely eats this cat food and loves it. He never ate the other cat food I tried giving him. I tried purina cat and kitten chow, iams cat and kitten chow, some junk my vet told me to get which was 25 dollars for 6 pounds and none of my cats would touch the stuff. I also have a cat that has suffered from horrible skin allergic problems most of his life and he is 12 now. I am not kidding once I started feeding this cat food he immediately started healing. He still has allergic reactions to fleas if they get him but all the sores he kept getting on his neck and back are gone. For my 6 cats one 11 pound bag last me almost 3 weeks and I feed free choice at all times. Yes, this seems like expensive cat food and it was hard for my to try something with such a high cost but I was going through a 16 pound bag of the other cat foods in less than two weeks and my cats did nothing but eat and use the litter box. I will never feed them any other dry food again. But, there is one other that is almost like this that I might try but as of now I have 3 bags unopened still that I got through the subscribe and save program and as long as they are all doing good on this I am happy. The pieces are very little and round and so easy for them to chew or swallow whole if needed. I love this cat food so far and I struggled for a month trying to justify spending so much money for it but I have saved so much money on cat litter and not having to clean the cat litter boxes twice or three times a day and they still stunk to only cleaning them both once a day and I have no cat litter box smell at all. In fact my nephew mentioned it to me the other day because when one of the cats used the box we had to do an emergency evacuation till the smell disappeared and now if one of my cats uses the box we hardly notice, that is unless they completely miss or don't bury it and just let it sit out but the smell still is not horrid and nauseating. I hope this helps you..
on March 30, 2013
I have 2 rescue cats, 7 1/2 yrs (male) and an almost 3 year old female. I have tried so many different brands of cat food. Until recently I was buying Pet Smart's brand, Authority. My girl started gaining weight and could eat all day long, if I let her.

For Christmas this past year, my mom bought them a 5lb bag of Nature's Variety Duck Meal & Turkey Meal Raw Boost Formula, which they loved. Especially the freeze dried raw bits. But....there is no way I can afford that. Ditto for Blue Buffalo.

After doing a lot of research on cat food, and figuring out the cost per pound; I thought I'd try the BG Chicken by Merrick. As other reviews have mentioned, this is a truly premium food and so much more economical than the other grain-free cat food brands.

What I like, too, is the size of the kibbles. It is made well so that my female actually bites into it and I finally hear her chewing. She always devoured her other food so fast, that she wasn't actually chewing it.

I also like the way it is packaged. It doesn't get that yucky dusty type run-off from the bites, like so many other food does; such as the ones with a lot of grain.

My little girl actually eats enough of this until she is full and then she actually stops and walks away! I have noticed, as well, that the coats of my cats are softer and shinier. They also have a lot more energy.

I highly recommend this food!

*** Almost a year later and unfortunately my older cat is getting sick from this. He has lost so much weight that when I pick him up, he is as light as a feather. He also started losing hair and had diarrhea for a long time, as well as throwing up. I don't know if it's the brand, or the chicken. I am not sure if this is really true, but I've read that some cats are allergic to, or have problems with chicken.

I have them on Wellness Core Turkey and Duck Formula now. It's only been a few weeks, but I've noticed the difference in Ozzie already. Not only is he gaining weight, but his eyes are so much brighter. He has also been a lot more affectionate; almost as if he is thanking me!
review image review image review image review image review image
33 comments| 105 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 21, 2015
I love this brand of cat food because my cat loves it so much, but this particular flavor was not her favorite. Sometimes she has an upset stomach so my vet recommended purchasing some sort of grain free food and this had great reviews so I decided to give it a go. I originally purchased the chicken flavor Merrick Before Grain bag and she was very vocal in the mornings when I went to feed her - meowing as she would run down the stairs to her food bowl and going right in for the food. However, I then switched it up and purchased this salmon flavor and when she came down the first few mornings, she would sniff the food and just look at me for a few seconds before starting to eat it. She would also eat it a lot slower. Eventually, as she realized that the salmon flavor was there to stay (until I ran out of it), she stopped meowing in the mornings when she came down for food, so I took all of this as a sign that she didn't particularly care for the flavor (even though she ate it). It had no effect on her digestion however, her stomach has not been upset at all since I swapped to this brand, so no complaints in this regard. I have now switched back to the chicken flavor and she once again screams maniacally while coming down for food and cleans out her bowl in under a few minutes.
The food is here to stay, just not in this flavor!
on March 26, 2012
Happy to report that now Amazon is carrying this food themselves, there is no problem with getting the incorrect size bag. Please ignore the 1 star reviews, they are all from Petco shipping the wrong size product in the past. I have researched cat foods extensively, trying to get the best that I can since I lost 2 cats to tainted pet food. Merrick is the absolute best. Other companies say they have great ingredients, but their products are either processed by a bad food company plant, or overseas. Not so with Merrick. Everything is made in their own facilities in Texas, and they get all ingredients here in the USA, all certified as human food grade, except for 2 vitamins they just can't get from here. My cats love this food! I would like to remind everyone, however - you should make your cat's diet primarily wet food. Feeding only dry doesn't get enough water intake into them every day and stresses the kidneys. This increases the chance of kidney failure or urinary stones as they get older.
66 comments| 117 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 5, 2017
I have been using Merrick for about six months now. My cats are incredibly picky and since they were kittens I have tried and tried to get them to eat the healthier brands of food but they absolutely refuse. This is the first one that they actually would eat.

After reading some reviews and trying to decide which new quality food I would try, I chose Merrick. I started off with the chicken and introduced it slowly into their regular food over a period of a few weeks. They actually accepted it which surprised me, however, if I got to over 50% in the mix they would no longer eat.

I bought the Salmon flavor this time and they are going crazy over it - they absolutely love it. I am thrilled because my cats are diabetic and I was able to greatly reduce insulin intake, and was able to take one cat completely off insulin, with just the 50% mix in their regular food. With the Salmon flavor, I should be able to make the complete 100% transition now and can't wait to see the results.

Extremely happy right now. I am so glad I tried Merrick - we will be sticking with it for sure.
on March 13, 2016
I have an adult 5 yrs old cat and a 6 month old kitten and both my cats got sick from Merrick Before Grain #1 Chicken Dry Cat Food. I believe the egg product they use is the problematic culprit. Also noticed the package contained lots of little dry food pieces... Not sure if that means I got the end of a batch or if it's supposed to be that way. None the less, I stated feeding them this food 4 days ago and the last 2 days has been a constant series of involuntary vomiting and diarrhea incidents from my two fur babies.
on October 15, 2015
After switching my cats from cheap store food for their health, partially from constant vomiting, I thought I was making a good decision switching to blue buffalo. Within a month, one of my make cats couldn't urinate. After two days at the vet, a catheter, and what could only be described as "sludge" by the vet in his bladder, I put him I prescription food. Upon switching him back to blue buffalo he has a recurrence making me believe blue buffalo was the culprit. Googling blue buffalo and cystitis/uti/urinary tract problems led me to hundreds of similar complaints. I immediately dumped the bag and looked for something with quality ingredients but no similar complaints (wellness brand also had similar comments so I was nervous to try). I was just about to give up and buy a $65 bag of food figuring it was better than more vet bills or worse.

I was thrilled when I found Merrick and at its price point. I immediately switched rather than gradually, realizing the issues with the blue buffalo. There was mild upset stomach in both cats, but they adjusted quickly. The affected cat started to get better almost immediately. I'm happy to report after a month, I've had zero urinary issues with the one cat, and both cats are energetic and have had no more digestive issues.

Don't hesitate to switch to this food!
My cats really like this stuff! I look at the ingredients and see healthy ingredients like deboned chicken, chicken meal, dehydrated potato, turkey meal, chicken fat, dehydrated sweet potato, natural chicken and pork flavor, dried egg product, yeast culture, dried blueberries and more. The kibble is a dark brown and smaller than eraser heads. This does not make my cats sick.

The guaranteed analysis is also excellent: crude protein min 36%, crude fat min 18%, crude fiber max 3%, moisture max 11%.

The price for this kibble is the same fixed price across several online merchants.
on March 3, 2017
Our cats are very healthy. People often comment on how soft/shiny their coats are. We even have most people comment about how our cats don't bother their allergies. I'm fairly confident that this is at least in small part related to the food we give them. They've been on this since they were kittens. We have taken in a few rescue kitties and as they adjust to this food their fur becomes as soft and shiny as our original cats. (but for the love, transition slowly. We tried to switch one too fast and it did not go well.)