Spring Deals Automotive Best Books of the Month New-season heels nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. GNO for Samsung S9 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon MMM MMM MMM  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now TG18PP_gno

on November 18, 2011
Ok, so I'm a grown man, who bought this model to build with my 8-year old son who is a Star Wars fan. Normally, I wouldn't be too concerned about reviewing this, but here we go.

First, the model was easy to put together, and from start to finish it probably took us about 40 minutes. I'm sure my son liked that part, but I was hoping for a little more teamwork putting it together.

It's a snap-together model, so theres no glue or paint required. Again, probably a benefit for him, but not how I remember building models.

Even though I knew there was no painting or glue required, I still ordered a set of Testors paints with the model. I showed my son some techniques on how to brush the paint on raised surfaces to get a nice finish to them, and I think we both liked how the final painted item came out. Not a lot of paint, just detailing.

The one thing that perplexed me is that the model has two final forms: Landing gear down and landing gear up (in flight). My son wanted it with the landing gear, but I realized pretty quickly that the pods that hold the gear were on opposite sides of the wings, and could only be placed in those positions. In otherwords, the only way the landing gear would work would be to have one under the wing normal) and the other on top of the wing (ridiculous). I checked and rechecked the appearance, instruction, and images, and got my wifes opinion, and it looks like the wing pieces in the kit were different than the instructions. Not major, my son simply took it without the landing gear.

We also got the Tie Fighter, so I'm hoping that goes well.

In the end, my son and I built some toys that if he breaks, we can glue back together.
22 comments| 3 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on April 8, 2013
Injection molding is an art form and I marvel over how these people can tool up these projects. However, this one fell short of their usual high quality products. My 6 year old and I are putting this one together tonight (model 85-1856) and the engines don't fit together very well and don't mate with the wings like they should. I had to trim them a little bit to get them to be passable. Ours could be a fluke since there are so many glowing reviews on here. This one will hang overhead from magnet wire with orange LEDs fitted into the engines, so the ill-fit won't stand out too badly. I like how they give you the landing gear as well as covers so you can display them on a shelf or in the air.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on April 18, 2011
I didn't buy my particular model from Amazon, since I got it on sale at Michaels, but I seem to see most people complaining that it's a model kit. Well, that's what it is.

This is a Level 1 kit from Revell, so it requies no glue or paint to complete for the original "stock" look as shown on the box. The box art is actually very accurate; they show it straight-built, with even the nub marks still visible. Once you take it out of the box, like a traditional model it, you must cut the parts out of the "plates" and clean them up. From there it's simple snap and go. The parts are all pre-painted; Revell was nice enough to add all the red, orange, blue, gray, etc. on the plastic parts for you. It even comes with two little rubber figures of R2-D2 and Luke Skywalker. They are VERY detailed and painted completely, and I must say...the paint they use is GREAT, since it takes a lot of rubbing to make it come off. The Luke Skywalker figure, however, looks rather awkward in the cockpit; he simply looks like he's lying down more than he's sitting. Oh, and it also comes with a nice set of landing gear. I suppose it compensates for a lack of a stand, but be warned. The cover for the landing gear in the front is very difficult to remove, evern though they give you a little finger indent. There are no problems with the rear landing gear, though.

I will note some downsides to it. This is merely a personal preference, but I feel that the X-Wing is lacking in it's color choices. I went ahead and painted in a lot of the pieces that I didn't like; the blue cockpit looked too mellow (all of the light baby blue on this model generally looked ugly), so I painted it silver, and changed the "vent" colors to a black and gray. The thrusters and blasters were also painted to add a bit of color seperation. Also, it could really do with some panel lines. Revell has incorperated great detail into this model, with many lines all around the hull that can easily be picked out with some paint or a lining marker.

As a model kit, it's actually very durable, but I don't reccomend playing with it. As a general rule, models are meant more for display than for play. You have action figure toys for that.

Overall, it's a simple, nice, and faithful representation of the classic X-Wing fighter from the original Star Wars Trilogy. It only takes a day or two to build, detail, and paint. If you're looking for a durable, pre-built toy that can take a serious thrashing, though, I'd say look for an actual toy instead of a model.
review imagereview image
55 comments| 71 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on February 22, 2013
This is an excellent buy for every SW fan out there. In fact I wanna buy a few more so I can make the whole fleet of Rogue Squadron! Assembly is simple and straight forward. Detail is considerably great for something this cheap.

There's one little funny thing about the instruction though. Regarding the wings, you need to flip "part no.6" the other way around coz there's a little hole and tab (indent) that won't let you close the wings properly if you assemble it according to the instructions. Maybe it's illustrated wrong, maybe I'm wrong, I don't know. But if you follow it exactly, trust me.. the wings wouldn't close nice and tight. Refer to my product pictures.

This thing will look great as a display, rather than being a great toy. Coz the plastic isn't the elastic type like Fischer Price toys (which made them hard to snap) So if you're intending to get this as a toy for your 4/5 y/o, I'm not saying you can't. Just don't expect it to last more than two weeks.

So my sum up:

Detail for the price
Ease of assembly.

Not a toy. Don't really see this kind of plastic being able to handle abuse.
review imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview image
on January 21, 2009
Allowing my grandson to build this and than play with it made these toys the most valued to him.
22 comments| 7 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on July 20, 2014
Very nice little model kit, already painted and detailed, simplified assembly and snap tite so there is no cement needed. This would make a nice beginners kit for a young child to introduce them to modelling as a hobby.
on June 15, 2014
We bought this for our 7 year old son. It is such a great model- easy to put together-- not overwhelming for little hands and he has such a great time playing with it. I would highly recommend for that Star Wars fan in your life!
on May 11, 2016
Looks nice on my shelf but it would need a lot of work if you want to make it look more realistic for modeling competition. It has no display stand to show wings in flight combat position, you must improvise one or display it a parked only.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on June 15, 2012
Quite durable for a model kit. Design is quite plain in my opinion, adding some weathering would make it real stunning. No glue is needed apart from the 4 lasers which has a tendency to loosen even when played with gently. Not too bad a buy.
on July 25, 2009