YED Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Luxury Beauty Beauty & Grooming Shop Popular Services GoldenGlobes GoldenGlobes GoldenGlobes  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis Oscar Central in Movies & TV Shop Now STEM

Format: DVD|Change

Showing 1-10 of 2,408 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 3,121 reviews
on August 8, 2016
I was so happy to find this movie available as it is currently in the "Disney Vault" and not available for purchase in stores. I was slightly concerned that the UK import disk would not work in our Blu-ray player here in the United States. However, after traveling to Europe last week and discovering that Blu-ray discs play differently than DVDs, the UK import Blu-ray will play in any disc despite the difference of regions. We are so happy to own this Disney classic!
11 comment| 86 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 18, 2009
The Lion King began as a B project at Disney Animation Studios where everywhere wanted to work at the next "hit" Pocahontas. Who would have known that it will become the highest grossing tradional animated film of all time? Who would have known it would win two oscars and three golden globes? Even more important, who would have known than this supposedly secondary project will become one of Disney's most treasured films and the epitome of the Disney Renaissance? Well that's because The Lion King is not your usual regular animated film. It's one of the best animated films ever made with a complex and great story, unforgettable characters, a superb score and great music that elevates it and proudly stands with the best films ever made.

I got to know the movie in my chiildhood when I was 4 years old and since then, The Lion King has been one of my favorite films. From its glourious beginning (which by the way I think is the best opening ever) to its final battle and resolution, the movie provides top-notch entertainment to everyone. The characters are great and stays with you and the film showcases one of the best villains that had graced the screen. Hans Zimmer score aided by Lebo M., is amazing, it just envelops you in the film's atmosphere and never let you go until the magnificent finale.

Finally, this classic has made its long awaited Blu-ray debut in Disney's premium Diamond Line and the results are spectacular!!

Video & Audio
WOW!! The Lion King looks absolutely breathtaking on HD. The transfer is immaculate with vivid colors, strong detail and amazing contrast. You will be amazed by how clear is the image and you'll discover new things that you have never seen.

The 7.1 DTS-HD MA is as strong and superb as its video counterpart. The sound is bombastic and really strong. Dialogue is clear and wait 'till you see the opening scene and you will be completely in awe. An amazing audio presentation.

Bonus Features
While this set is not as loaded as previous Diamond films like Beauty or Sniw White, there are still plenty of interesting stuff to watch.

"Disney Second Screen" allows you to sync the film with your ipad or laptop in order to see galleries, games, storyboards and more. While this is nice is does not work as good as it sounds.

You also have an audiocommentary with producer Don Hahn and directors Roger Allers and Rob Minkoff which is interesting to watch.

"Pride of The Lion King", which is the best bonus in this set, is a retrospective documentary about the production of the film. Many of the people involved share their thoughts of what the film meant to them and also how thd Broadway musical came to be. A must see!!

"The Lion King: A memoir- Don Hahn" Is a retrospective look by the producer whonlooks back at him in 1994 and how The Lion King came to be. Another must-see!!

"Deleted and alternate scenes" feature five deleted scenes introduced by the directors.

"The Morning Report" is a fully animated scene that was inserted in the film in the Platinum DVD but it now appears on its own. I think that is good because I did not like it at all.

"Bloopers & Outtakes" is a newly-created setof bloopers featuring the characters evocating the Pixar films. While this are funny, they are not as funny as the Pixar ones.

"Interactive Art Gallery" is a great compilation of character design images, storyboards, development, etc.

"Sing along mode" is the usual karaoke-like feature where you can sing the film songs.

"Disney's Virtual Vault" is the highly impractical online feature that houses all the material from the Platinum DVD. At least they included the material.

This set is the two disc BD/DVD combo which I think is the ideal release without paying for a gimmicky format and a pointless conversion.

A DVD copy is also included.

Closing Thoughts
The Lion King is a masterpiece and one of the best animated films ever made. Dealing with themes like death, loss, guilt, responsibility, love, family and more, this film stands tall as one of Disney's best films. This BD set is a perfect way to enjoy it with spectacular picture & sound and plenty of great bonus features that makes it one the best BD sets and is Very Highly Recommended!!
review image
on July 7, 2016
I just received this UK Import Lion King Blue Ray on July, 7, 2016. This IS an ALL REGION disk! Plays perfectly in our USA, Samsung Blue Ray player. I've included photos of the packaging with the all region symbol (ABC). It was sealed in an opaque sleeve, instead of cellophane, and all appeared new and unused. Great way to purchase a movie currently in the Disney vault in the USA!
on October 6, 2015
The Lion King [Blu-ray] [UK Import] works great on my PS3 (in the US). Great quality. Disappointed just because it ONLY includes the Blu-Ray disc. There is no regular DVD copy in the package so I can only watch this on my PS3 or a Blu-Ray player. For this price I wouldve expected a Blu-Ray + regular disc. Overall though Im happy with the Blu Ray disc and my 2 year old loves the movie.
on February 21, 2015
The dvd is great as well as the prompt delivery service.
review image
on October 22, 2011
I own a quite a few 3D movies, so perhaps my expectations were too high, but despite some stellar reviews on the 3D on this product by some other reviewers, I have to tell you the quality is FAR less than made-for-3D movies such as Despicable Me.

Do you remember those "3D" games/cartoons where the "3D" effect as you were supposedly either walking, or in a car, going along the road was the part closest to you moved slow, then there was a part in the middle that moved a bit faster, and then the part near the top of the screen moved the fastest? This is only a step above that. It is more like layered 2D images than true 3D. Yes, there are a few parts where true 3D is apparent, but those are few and far between.

Sorry, I can't help but think that some of the people have either let their love of the movie color their perception of what good 3D looks like, or they simply do not have many 3D movies to compare to.

I actually found the 2D blu-ray disc, or even the regular dvd more appealing, or at least less distracting. One thing I noticed in all three versions that I didn't notice before was that the grass in the movie doesn't move when the animals walk through it. Although I didn't pick up on this when I saw the movie when it first came out, it was one of the things that was painfully apparent in the 3D, and far less apparent in the 2D versions.

And, yes, I know there are people that will disagree with me and mark my review as "not helpful", but I have to call it as I see it.
77 comments| 227 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 12, 2016
DID NOT WORK FOR MY DAUGHTER WHO LIVES HERE IN THE US.
on July 10, 2016
This movie is a classic and favorite from my childhood. My children both love it as well (ages 3 1/2 and 1 1/2)--particularly the different animals and the songs. The packaging is also fine. The movie played with no problems on our Blu-ray player. It doesn't include any of the "Bonus" features that a lot of the Disney DVD/Blu-rays contain, but otherwise it's a great product.
on November 8, 2016
Perfect! Brand new! The lowest price I have found for this movie (: Childhood memories!
on July 18, 2016
My wife had been looking for quite some time to try to find the lion King on DVD. We were not able to track down a us version but this UK version is just as great. I always love the lion King while growing up and now my daughter loves this Disney classic as well. This movie also had a great price for a hard to find movie.