Shop Auto Winter Products Beauty Best Books of the Year Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. Electronics Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 Try it first with samples Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Prime member deal on Amazon Video: 50% off select Pixar movie rentals Prime member deal on Amazon Video: 50% off select Pixar movie rentals Prime member deal on Amazon Video: 50% off select Pixar movie rentals  Three new members of the Echo family Save $50 on All-New Fire HD 10. Limited-time offer. $30 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

Bowflex PR1000 Home Gym
Size: One Size|Change

on January 31, 2015
well made, and with a little warranty voiding custom work, can be made to work with the 310lb and 410 lb upgrade kits. See my pictures in the customer uploaded pictures section for my instructions on how i did it. i dont know how safe this is, so do this at your own risk. it works fine on my bowflex though.
review imagereview imagereview image
155 helpful votes
156 helpful votes
1111 comments|Report abuse
on December 12, 2011
**Update 2 years later below***This review is for the Bow flex PR1000 and my use of it over the last 3 months.

I don't think it's necessary to go into great detail concerning the shipping etc. but the machine is packaged very well.

Assembly time- With me and a friend it took about 1 hour.

Quality- I was surprised on the quality of the machine. It is sturdy and very well made. After three months it is holding up as it did on the first day.

Workouts- There is a lot of workouts you can do on this machine. I would highly recommend the bow flex body plan book as it is a valuable reference.
Concerning the workouts the point of the Bow flex is resistance. Each motion of exercise should be controlled.

Workout results-With dieting I have lost 35 lbs. and using the bow flex only 3 times a week for approx. 30 minutes a workout.

Other Models- I was somewhat overwhelmed at the different models and Bow flex nor do reviews on Amazon really help in this area. After doing exhaustive research I found the main difference between this model and the Pr3000 is mostly the Pr3000 comes with 100 extra lbs. of resistance. For another 500 bucks, they can keep it.

*Side note. There are numerous articles and videos showing how you can add more power bars/replace with higher weight without buying a more expensive model. It's actually quite easy.
Free weights vs. Bow flex. You will have friends and so called experts argue one over the other. Through my own experience now and in the past, the bow flex concentrates on and makes you use smaller muscles you thought you never had.

Will you top out the weights/power bars is a concern I had when buying this. At this point the answer is no. If you're looking to be the next Mr. Olympia then you wouldn't be buying this anyways. But the short answer is this will get you in shape, tone or add some bulk, depending on your workouts. And will continue to do so for years to come.

Space required- This is not a small machine so a good 8x10 area is recommended for use.

Does it work? - The answer is yes as long as you use it.You will see results as long as the machine is used and you diet.

Overall rating- The Bow flex pr1000 definitely is worth the money. The machine is well made and will do its job.

**Update Two Years Later*

This machine has helped me lose 60llbs of fat in a healthy way, that is not starving myself but by exercising. I have been going to a local gym and still the use bow flex when I am short on time or the weather is bad.
I can now speak from experience from using both the Bow flex and free weights in a gym. The bow flex will still do its job and do it well. The key is still to do the exercises slowly. For example, when doing a bench press don't jerk up, push up counting to three, hold, and then come down in three.
It will hit the little muscles and will really sculpt you.
Works excellent, rods are fine, it has stayed together nicely.

The bowflex works if you use it!
534 helpful votes
535 helpful votes
55 comments|Report abuse
on December 7, 2012
Overall, its perfect for home or anywhere space and convenience are issues. Its well built, engineered domestically -- but built elsewhere, which is a personal pet-peeve.

Like many things built in Asia, they don't seem to use locking nuts or even lock washers - they use flat washers everywhere. And as I expected, after two weeks of use, the bolts holding the upper bar have already come loose. Despite that I originally tightened them to the max. A small issue, but nevertheless annoying as now I have to go and buy source lock washers and re-assemble the unit. Despite this, the unit is robust, the finishes are excellent and quality seems good.

As far as the apparatus, it took some getting use to after being accustomed to using traditional weight-resistance apparatus. For one, clipping and unclipping the cables to the rods takes some getting used to. Originally it took a fair amount of time but now I'm finally getting to be proficient at it. Adding or subtracting weights by the use of click pins on traditional equipment is much easier and quicker, but they don't have the convenience of Bowflex. Its a trade-off. Secondly, the manual - they should have the Day 1, 2 and 3 routines set up in a way that one uses the same setup for a number of the exercises, then change to another setup for the next and so on. Instead they jump all over the place which means a lot of clipping and unclipping of cables.

And lastly, I find that the resistance using flexible rods seems to vary as one does the exercise - it seems easier at first and then stiffer as you bend the rods more. Whereas with weights the resistance is the same all the time. Maybe its just me and I need to get used to this. But then again, the Bowflex is much more convenient and complete in terms of the muscle groups that can be exercised compared for a very reasonable cost.
on May 9, 2017
Bought this for my wife. Ive used it myself and it will give you a good workout. It does take a bit of space though.
on April 29, 2017
Purchased this PR1000 to replace an older Bowflex. Pr1000 stated to do leg exercises, but the leg attachment is only used for one exercise. No leg curl? Sorry I purchased this equipment. Probably ok for upper body, which I will use, but I want to work my legs too. A step backward for Bowflex.
on December 30, 2016
After 2 weeks following one of the workout programs that come in the Owner's manual I can already visually confirm results, this is working pretty well for gaining mass and definition.
Pros: Easy to assemble, easy to store and very sturdy.
Cons: None so far.
2 helpful votes
on February 22, 2017
Husband loves it. Took him about 3 hours to put together.
2 helpful votes
on July 8, 2010
The PR1000 Home gym is a great fit for me and my two sons ages 16 &12. I had an older model Bowflex from 1999, where you had to buy the lat pull down and leg curl pieces separately. My ex-husband took that Bowflex with him last year with our divorce, so I had been planning to get another one. The PR1000 is a great price in comparison to my older model, over $400 cheaper. I always got great results with the Bowflex workout, and this model provides the same. As a woman I don't use very heavy weights so this model provides plenty. My 16 year old son is pleased with the amount of weight as well, and he is the size of a full grown man. There are a couple of things I dont like in comparison to my older Bowflex. One, is that I could do reverse leg curls (laying on my stomach) on the older model, but not with the PR1000. The leg curl extenstion was configured to sit up higher on the old model so that you could fit your legs under the top piece while laying on your stomach. You can't do that with the PR1000, just the forward leg curls. The second thing is the lat pull down bar is a little more narrow, so the lat pulldown excercies for your back feels a little awkard. I do like the easier set-up and sleek look of this model, as well as the fact that you dont have to buy those pieces separately as in the older model Bowflex. Overall I am happy with my purchase.
on October 9, 2017
Love my Bowflex. Well constructed. Easy to assemble. One of the best purchases I have every made.
on December 30, 2015
I got this for me and my wife's New Year's goal (we'll see how that goes, haha) As of now I'm giving this product a 5 star because of the clarity of the assembly instructions. Rarely have I put together something so easily. I had hip replacement surgery less than 3 weeks ago, so it takes me a bit of careful manuevering at the moment but even with that physical disadvantage, I was able to construct this in under two hours by myself. I did try a few reps afterwards and it does seem like it'll be a great 'get in shape for under $500' machine.
0Comment|Report abuse

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.