Industrial Deals Beauty Oprah's Book Club STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Shop Popular Services _fof _fof _fof  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now toystl17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 90 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 189 reviews
on March 2, 2017
For $15/month, it's a great deal, (especially since the digital subscription at ft.com is current about $40/month) but it comes with two drawbacks:

* The Amazon Kindle subscription does not qualify the user for web-based content. You do not get a valid login for ft.com with this subscription, so you can't subscribe to daily emails from the brilliant John Authers, etc.
* The Kindle version is very stripped-down, it's basically text-only. Charts, graphs and pictures are not generally available or useful if provided.

The mitigating factor is that a robust, text-only version downloads very quickly and reliably, more so than other subscriptions like the WSJ. Nothing like settling into a flight and finding that the content didn't download, that won't happen with the FT.
on September 8, 2013
I recently subscribed to the Financial Times through Amazon and have immensely enjoyed receiving my subscription automatically delivered to my iPhone every morning. The articles are fresh and concise. Compared to other news publications, the FT staff gets directly to the heart of the matter and does not waste it's time with fluff. But most enticing of all, the low price of $14.99 per month through Amazon is an amazing price for such an illustrious news publication.

My only complaint is that there are links at the end of some articles which directs readers to the FT's website for further briefings. Unfortunately, when I follow these links to FT's website, I am unable to read those articles because the website does not recognize me as a subscriber. If Amazon or another fellow subscriber has a solution to this issue, I would definitely raise my rating to 5 stars!!

Aside from this minor issue, this is a great subscription service offered by Amazon and I recommend it to anyone interested in following global financial news.
on December 16, 2013
For decades the FT has been a source of knowledge that few other newspapers could ever match. The online version carries through this tradition but only offers continuous subscription, which is more than I need. The Economist works well on my tablet and gives me in-depth information when I need it. So surely the Kindle version of the FT will do the same? Wrong. The translation from broadsheet FT to small screen doesn't work at all for me. Maybe I was inept, but I looked for the kind of information information I have seen online in FT and couldn't find it. The few accounts I found provided a word count [not sure why the publishers think I need this]. This merely adds insult to injury.

Like the HBR, the design just doesnt work well on Kindle. Maybe I'll check again in 12 months' time.
on November 23, 2014
A review for a newspaper? I'm not sure who would read such a review. But while I'm here....

The Financial Times is a British paper centered around the financial world, as you would imagine. But it actually is far more than that. It's a paper whose foreign policy reporting, its independent investigations, and its depth and persistence is simply not to be replicated.

I think an investor has to have reality. In my opinion, papers like the NY Times and the Wall Street Journal have clearly partisan leanings. As a student of political science myself, I've never cared for the partisan bickering, it feels more like a sports event than arguing over things that really matter.

There's something in the academic study of political science called Realpolitik. In short, what we do and decisions we make as leaders are different than what we say we do, what we report to the media, at a press conference, during an election campaign, in an interview, so on and so forth. Why leaders and governments do things versus why they say they do things are two different things. In Realpolitik, it is admitted that material factors (land, capital, power), not words and ideas, are the prime movers and shakers of world events. Foreign policy, you might think, is somehow unique. But you'd be surprised. Foreign policy is one of those things you won't really read about behind closed doors. The FT gives you an eye into it because it doesn't care about Republicans, Democrats, Obama, or any of the rest of it. It DOES however care about the facts in terms of how these two parties interact, the choices they make and the horsetrading they engage in. It'll talk about all of these, but in the language of a scientist, rather than a pundit.

You'll read about foreign policy in terms of what insiders are suggesting is really going on. You'll see what leaders say next to the fact-checking that the FT will do.

You'll also benefit from the fact that the FT likes to go in-depth, for several days, keeping to several themes consisting of 2-3 articles on them for a few days in a row (eg., the economy of ISIS, the anonymous hedge fund shorting stocks, the shale boom in the U.S., etc.) If you want to learn topics in depth, rather than skim headlines, then this paper is probably the best out there for it.

Politically, it's fairly moderate, but it's very critical of our governments, right and left (if those distinctions still matter). It helps you understand what's going on behind the headlines, which is a process rather than assertion (for those who watch TV news, what you receive are assertions, not real journalism). It's liberal in the economic sense (and for those who don't know what that means, this paper probably isn't for you). Yet it's not afraid to say, for example, that Bolivia's economy is booming under a socialist leader. It'll show inconsistencies in the Republicans, Obama, Labor and Cameron without worry.

The Letters section is sometimes amusing, and the Opinions section is sometimes very interesting.

I sometimes wish my subway ride were a little bit longer so I could read the morning's subscription.
on August 9, 2016
kindle edition has very limited articles.
on March 29, 2016
With so many colour adds why can't we see multiple photos a companying the editorial sectons? Also, the rendering of the copy leaves a lot to ne dedired, such as punctuation and haphazard letter combinations.
on June 8, 2017
I'd been an FT subscriber for over a decade. At $0.75 per issue this is much more manageable given priorities -- downloading automatically upon purchase into my Kindle. I look most forward to the Weekend issue even though I still miss the traditional paper/color feel.
on July 20, 2014
The FT has terrific writers and great world issue coverage as well as excellent business news coverage. I feel something is missing in my daily schedule if I cannot read my FT. I get it delivered to my home but when I travel and I cannot buy a copy I am happy that I can now download it onto my Ipad or Kindle or phone.
It's columnists write really thought provoking and informing articles and have a good command of the English language.
on May 1, 2013
I used to get FT to my house, but decided to end my subscription because I just couldn't get to it every day. So after much consideration I decided to subscribe to the Kindle edition.

Yes, it is slightly more expensive than paper version. But here's something that I haven't seen in the reviews I've read. There are no advertisements. All that is delivered are the articles. To me, the slight additional cost of the Kindle edition is well (well!) worth getting rid of the ads. So just keep that in mind when you're comparing prices.

As for the Kindle version itself... I've gotten used to the navigation and find it quite adequate. Readability is superb. Delivery is flawless. Not having to deal with stacks of unread paper is a bonus. Overall, a great paper that provides a fantastic world-view, with a more neutral tone than the now more-than-ever conservative leaning WSJ (thanks a lot, Murdock :-/). Highly recommended.
on June 19, 2017
Kindle edition does not render 'perfect' but is readable across the mobile app, a Kindle Fire HD8, and a Paperwhite. Text font is controllable.