Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Shop Book House Cleaning _fof _fof _fof  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis Trade it in. Fund the next. Shop Now toystl17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 1,965 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 2,073 reviews
on July 10, 2011
I have purchased three of these hard drives, and love them. As of this writing, this is the largest, fastest, standard height (9.5mm) internal laptop hard drive on the market. It is also quite inexpensive, and fairly quiet. Like all SATA internal hard drives, this is fairly easy to install and use.

Some technical background:

Almost all internal hard drives are either 2.5" (for laptop computers) or 3.5" (for desktop computers). Almost all laptop computers sold today and in the last couple of years use SATA hard drives, like this one. The three main features to look for in a laptop hard drive are: capacity, speed, and height.

All SATA laptops can accept standard height internal SATA hard drives, which are 9.5mm tall, like this one. Some laptops can also use hard drives that are 12.5mm tall. The 12.5mm tall laptop hard drives contain an extra platter inside, so they can have higher capacity than standard height 9.5mm hard drives. Many Mac laptops can use both the 9.5mm tall and the 12.5mm tall internal hard drives, so you have a choice. The Dell laptops that I am familiar with can only accept the standard height 9.5mm internal hard drives. This particular Scorpio Black hard drive is the standard 9.5mm tall, so it can be used in any laptop computer that uses SATA hard drives, which is almost every laptop computer sold today.

Hard drive speed is another consideration. Most hard drives rotate at either 7200 rpm (rotations per minute) or around 5200-5400 rpm. For performance, 7200 rpm is significantly faster. Applications like Adobe Premiere Pro for video editing specify that you should use a 7200 rpm drive (if possible) for best performance. If top performance is not a big consideration for you, or if you are mostly using the drive just as extra storage, 5400 rpm is perfectly fine. This particular drive is 7200 rpm, so it is very fast and is excellent for performance applications.

IMPORTANT NOTE: The fastest internal laptop hard drives of all are the fairly new solid-state drives (SSD drives). These "drives" are really just special persistent memory chips, put into an enclosure with a SATA interface so it looks just like an internal laptop SATA hard drive. As such, SSD SATA laptop drives can be used in any laptop computer that uses SATA internal drives (which is almost all laptops sold in the last couple of years). If you want super fast speed, look at SSD drives. They are amazingly fast, and look and act just like a normal hard drive. (Plus, SSD drives are whisper quiet, because they have no moving parts.) Your laptop will boot up in a flash and your applications that are hard disk intensive will zoom along, it's quite impressive. SSD drives are more expensive than traditional hard drives, but if you only need moderate amounts of hard disk space, look at the pricing on SSD drives, you might find that it is worth it for you.

OK, back to "normal" laptop hard drives. They have gotten so cheap, you may as well buy the highest-capacity, fastest drive you can that will fit in your laptop, so you can sort of "future proof" your laptop. As of this writing, this particular Western Digital Scorpio Black hard drive is tied with the highest-capacity (750GB), highest speed (7200 rpm), standard height (9.5mm) laptop (2.5") internal laptop hard drives on the market, and it only costs around $100 or so.

If you want even higher capacity, and your laptop can handle 12.5mm height drives, and you don't mind the drive being a little slower (5200 rpm), consider the Western Digital 1 TB Scorpio Blue SATA 3 Gb/s 5200 RPM 8 MB Cache Bulk/OEM Notebook Hard Drive - WD10TPVT drive, which has a full 1TB of capacity (33% more than the 750GB capacity of this Scorpio Black drive), and costs about the same as this Scorpio Black drive.
1313 comments| 186 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 13, 2012
I was on edge about buying this hard drive because all the negative reviews regarding noise, and vibration. Not to mention I own a mid-2009 White Macbook and noticed some people had trouble with the Sudden Motion Sensor. I was stuck between this hard drive and the Hitachi Travelstar. I ended up going with this because I have a WD my passport which works pretty swell after running steam games off it. AND I noticed many of the Hitachi drives were dying at an alarming rate in ONLY the macbook reviewer's reviews (everyone was reporting similar problems in an alarmingly similar time frame-- go check it out for yourself!)

FOR MACBOOK USERS:
So it was pretty to swap this hard drive in, and I restored from a Time Machine Full System Back up, and LION Recovery Assistant USB (which I made myself following Apple's instructions on their site! This is highly recommend for all Lion users who are switching to a new hard drive using LION/Time Machine seeing as how your Lion Recovery Partition will ONLY be on your old hard drive--- even after restoring from back up you lose the partition! LOL I checked and the only way to restore it is to reinstall lion which at this point I feel would be too much of a hassle and the recovery thumb drive works just fine.)

NOW BACK TO DRIVE REVIEW:
It took about 1 hour and 30 minutes to get back up and running. (I only transferred over 80 gb from a 160 gb stock Fujitsu 5400rpm hard drive. So let's address some concerns I had before purchasing (it took days of me going OCD on forums trying to figure out everything users had to say about this drive and it's performance.)

- NOISE: Since this is a 7200rpm drive, many users noted that theirs makes loud whirring noises and chirps. I have yet to experience this (I've had the drive for about two weeks now.) I really believe these people got a fluke drive or weren't careful enough installing it correctly. My drive, while not as quiet as the stock drive, does give off a slight "air" sound which is lower than the macbook's "monster" fans. Overall the system is very quiet and you should NOT let negative reviews stop you! This is actually quieter than my "whipser"-quiet 160gb PS3 slim.... and that is saying a lot :)

-ADVANCED FORMATTING troubles: Didn't have any. LION/Time Machine recognized the drive immediately! No crashes during set up.

-VIBRATIONS- seeing as how this IS a 7200rpm drive, there is a slight vibration. Like another reviewer stated, it is no more than a WD MyPassport portable hard drive! Actually a bit less vibration. To help Macbook users get an idea, it feels a little less like what it feels like to have a DVD in the Superdrive.

- TEMPERATURE: Using iSTAT, my old hard drive was 37 degrees all the time. This one is 40 degrees when it's really working.

-SPEED BOOST: Though not exactly noticeable coming from a 5400 rpm drive, start up is about ten seconds faster. Programs start 3 seconds sooner. What is better is that capturing footage or audio recording straight from the macbook is much faster. I use my macbook to record videos, music, and occasional design files. Everything seems to feel a bit snappier and smooth. No hiccups or stutter with media.

-BATTERY LIFE: My battery health is about 79% but I do notice this drive sucks more power than the stock drive. I get about 20 minutes less than before with each charge depending on what I am doing. Not bad.

-SUDDEN MOTION SENSOR: The Macbook settings are the same and moving it around while recording videos has no effect on it. (Just don't go crazy shaking it like you want to kill it. No conflict.

CONCLUSION:

Though I have not had this drive for long, I would highly recommend it for those of you who are on edge. I will definitely be updating this review if it happens to die, or some funky things start happening to it. So, if you need the space, don't care for an SSD, and want a slight speed increase, I HIGHLY recommend this! Not to mention the price on Amazon is swell!
on October 10, 2011
I was originally looking for a 1TB hard drive, but when I saw how small the caches were and the low RPM, I decided it would be better to sacrifice space in exchange for improved performance. This hard drive was very easy to install in my 2010 MacBook Pro 13" and worked perfectly. I used Carbon Copy Clone to copy the contents on my OEM hard drive to this one and it worked great the first time. It seems to actually be quiter than my OEM hard drive, however I notice that the MacBook gets slightly warmer. No big deal. It's not heating up enough that it would cause performance issues or damage. Overall, I'm very happy with this purchase and would recommend the hard drive to others.
on January 23, 2012
I just replaced the Hardrive in my wife's laptop with this WD Black 500 GB. It's performance is great. The hardware change out is easy (5 minutes). The software set up took some time. Here's the steps that I took (cloning software didn't work for me):
1. Find your recovery disks or make a set if you haven't already
2. Load the Acronis True Image Software - Free on the Western Digital Site
3. Plug in an external drive and create a full backup recovery on the external
drive. I have a 2 TB external drive.
4. Change out the Hard drive. You can watch a Youtube video for your laptop model
5. Insert your first recovery disk and boot up your computer. The recovery
disks will set up your new hard drive to the original laptop factory settings.
6. Go online and load the Acronis software from the WD site again
7. Plug in your external drive and do the full disk recovery from the back up
The Acronis software loaded everything back including the Wifi passwords and all the software. It does take a few hours to create the full back up and then to the restore. Really, you should have a back up anyway. However, if you're ok with the orginal factory settings, then the recovery disks will have you up and running in a few minutes. I prefer to have everything loaded back in.
on April 16, 2012
I purchased this to replace the 320gb 5400RPM stock hardrive of the mid 2009 15inch macbook pro. It was very easy to replace in about 10 minutes.
Note that when you are installing the operating system onto it, it will need to be formated first. This is very simple and the formatting tool can be found within the OSX installation window. Simply look for the "disk utility" tool and format it from there. Otherwise you will not be able to select the drive as a destination to install the operating system.
As is mentioned in some other reviews you can actually hear this disk spinning since it has a higher RPM. This does translate into faster read/write times. Which means any task that requires disk access (pretty much everything) is done faster.
The noise it makes is not particularly annoying, and you only notice it if the fans are running slowly; since the fans make much more noise at high rpm than the disk.
All in all, I would strongly recommend this disk if you are looking for more storage and improved performance at a low price (the lowest I have found on the web in fact!)
VINE VOICEon September 20, 2012
My wife's mid-2009 Macbook Pro laptop had been feeling sluggish, even though its original 500 GB drive was a 7200 RPM model. Checking System Preferences > Serial-ATA showed that the factory drive was only connecting at a negotiated link speed of 1.5 Gigabits, half the potential 3 gbps. Many on the Apple forums noted this, and expert replies noted that standard drives cannot even achieve 1.5 gigabit throughput... but...

This WD drive, easily installed, connected at the max negotiated speed of 3 Gigabit... and whether due to the drive or the higher speed connection, bench marks show a 50% improvement in read and write speed of large blocks. Unfortunately, sustained and random writes of 256K and smaller blocks are quite slow. As this applies to so many plist, cache and other items on OS X, I'm not seeing any performance improvement on this laptop with daily work.

This drive runs really cool - never feel heat on surface of the Macbook above the drive (vs hot old drive) - and quiet; the increased capacity is welcome and the overall performance is fine. A good upgrade for the price, and in our case a good replacement for the original drive which was failing.
The 5,400 RPM 8MB cache 320 MB factory-installed hard drive on my wife's Toshiba notebook computer failed recently, so I bought this one as a replacement. Toshiba's technical support representative confirmed that the computer's BIOS would not recognize a larger drive. Savings from buying a slower, smaller drive were not significant, which is why I chose this one.

This drive was delivered quickly in a cushioned package and has performed flawlessly. After I restored the same original factory-installed Windows 7 Home Premium operating system and re-installed all of the application programs, boot times with this drive have been noticeably faster than with the computer's original hard drive. Opening and saving files has also been significantly faster, which I attribute to this drive's larger cache and faster rotational speed.

Without any long-term experience, I have no way of knowing whether this drive will outlast the Hitachi drive that was installed in my wife's computer by the factory, but my experience with WD drives has generally been good, which is one reason that I chose this brand. Any hard drive, if used long enough, will eventually fail. Therefore backing up important data is always important, even with a relatively-new, hard drive from a respected manufacturer.
on March 6, 2014
This is the 3rd WD Black hard drive that failed in my laptop. This one died in 2 days! I replaced it with a Seagate Laptop Thin SSHD 500GB Hard Drive ST500LM000 6Gb/s 64 MB Cache and it's been running like a champ for months now. The laptop hard drive went bad after maybe 6 months and when I opened it up this is what was inside. So I just ordered the same thing to save time researching what my replacement options were. Well 5 months later the second one failed also and who knows why but I actually bought a 3rd one. I must love replacing hard drives and reinstalling everything! 2 days later I went to boot up the laptop and it wouldn't. After spending an hour with it I determined to my disbelief that the 2 day old hard drive failed already. I didn't return it though, I smashed the thing by throwing it across the yard and into the street. Trust me I got my more than my monies worth out in aggression. The Seagate has been running for months now without even the slightest hiccup.
on January 22, 2014
Wife's MacBook started running a bit slow and ran out of memory, came with 250gb hard drive and 2gb RAM. Upgraded RAM to 8gb (Crucial 8gb for mac) and after doing a lot of research on hard drives decided on this one. Install was a easy after watching a couple of YouTube videos. Computer runs considerably faster and now have a bunch of additional memory which is great. Drive is not as noisy as some have posted, and there is little to no vibration. Does not run particularly hot (certainly not hotter than the original drive). The 7200rpm upgrade has made a big difference in speed and performance. I also saw some reviews about compatibility issues with MacBooks, however, I did not have this experience. It works great on the MacBook Pro 5.5 mid 2009. I also upgraded my own MacBook (5.0) with a Hitachi 1tb drive. The scorpio is considerably faster (Hitachi is a 5600rpm) and actually quieter. No complaints here, highly recommend this drive.
on April 30, 2012
I bought this with intent to replace my 120 gig hard drive in my PS3. Once I figured out that I needed a system update download on a memory stick from the PSN site, I finally managed to get the Hard Drive to initiate and format while in the PS3. Suggestion for others attempting this... DO NOT attempt to format the Hard Drive before putting it in the PS3. You lose memory space each attempt because the Hard drive will save the DOS info for each time, reducing memory space. Then you have to go to a professional to get each extra attempt DOS off of the HD so you can have your full memory space available.

But also, as a reminder for those wanting to put this into PS3. It does work and works great. But, keep in mind that you need at least a 1 gig memory stick formatted to FAT32, go to the Sony Entertainment/PSN site, look in the support section for latest "System update" download, and follow the directions they give you for making a proper directory file on your stick so the PS3 can recognize it. Then, you're all set to either download all your game data again, or if you have an available drive to make a back-up file on another hard drive formatted to FAT32, just restore the info off of it onto the new hard drive in the PS3. Those of us that didn't know that have lost everything and have to do everything again, which really sucks, and in my case has taken over 7 days to get back everything lost.