Shop Popular Services SneakyPete SneakyPete SneakyPete  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis Trade in and get paid instantly Tackle Any Terrain with Cycling on Amazon STEM Amazon Business Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Limited time offer STEM March Birthstone

Showing 1-10 of 1,959 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 2,066 reviews
on July 10, 2011
I have purchased three of these hard drives, and love them. As of this writing, this is the largest, fastest, standard height (9.5mm) internal laptop hard drive on the market. It is also quite inexpensive, and fairly quiet. Like all SATA internal hard drives, this is fairly easy to install and use.

Some technical background:

Almost all internal hard drives are either 2.5" (for laptop computers) or 3.5" (for desktop computers). Almost all laptop computers sold today and in the last couple of years use SATA hard drives, like this one. The three main features to look for in a laptop hard drive are: capacity, speed, and height.

All SATA laptops can accept standard height internal SATA hard drives, which are 9.5mm tall, like this one. Some laptops can also use hard drives that are 12.5mm tall. The 12.5mm tall laptop hard drives contain an extra platter inside, so they can have higher capacity than standard height 9.5mm hard drives. Many Mac laptops can use both the 9.5mm tall and the 12.5mm tall internal hard drives, so you have a choice. The Dell laptops that I am familiar with can only accept the standard height 9.5mm internal hard drives. This particular Scorpio Black hard drive is the standard 9.5mm tall, so it can be used in any laptop computer that uses SATA hard drives, which is almost every laptop computer sold today.

Hard drive speed is another consideration. Most hard drives rotate at either 7200 rpm (rotations per minute) or around 5200-5400 rpm. For performance, 7200 rpm is significantly faster. Applications like Adobe Premiere Pro for video editing specify that you should use a 7200 rpm drive (if possible) for best performance. If top performance is not a big consideration for you, or if you are mostly using the drive just as extra storage, 5400 rpm is perfectly fine. This particular drive is 7200 rpm, so it is very fast and is excellent for performance applications.

IMPORTANT NOTE: The fastest internal laptop hard drives of all are the fairly new solid-state drives (SSD drives). These "drives" are really just special persistent memory chips, put into an enclosure with a SATA interface so it looks just like an internal laptop SATA hard drive. As such, SSD SATA laptop drives can be used in any laptop computer that uses SATA internal drives (which is almost all laptops sold in the last couple of years). If you want super fast speed, look at SSD drives. They are amazingly fast, and look and act just like a normal hard drive. (Plus, SSD drives are whisper quiet, because they have no moving parts.) Your laptop will boot up in a flash and your applications that are hard disk intensive will zoom along, it's quite impressive. SSD drives are more expensive than traditional hard drives, but if you only need moderate amounts of hard disk space, look at the pricing on SSD drives, you might find that it is worth it for you.

OK, back to "normal" laptop hard drives. They have gotten so cheap, you may as well buy the highest-capacity, fastest drive you can that will fit in your laptop, so you can sort of "future proof" your laptop. As of this writing, this particular Western Digital Scorpio Black hard drive is tied with the highest-capacity (750GB), highest speed (7200 rpm), standard height (9.5mm) laptop (2.5") internal laptop hard drives on the market, and it only costs around $100 or so.

If you want even higher capacity, and your laptop can handle 12.5mm height drives, and you don't mind the drive being a little slower (5200 rpm), consider the Western Digital 1 TB Scorpio Blue SATA 3 Gb/s 5200 RPM 8 MB Cache Bulk/OEM Notebook Hard Drive - WD10TPVT drive, which has a full 1TB of capacity (33% more than the 750GB capacity of this Scorpio Black drive), and costs about the same as this Scorpio Black drive.
1313 comments| 186 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 13, 2012
I was on edge about buying this hard drive because all the negative reviews regarding noise, and vibration. Not to mention I own a mid-2009 White Macbook and noticed some people had trouble with the Sudden Motion Sensor. I was stuck between this hard drive and the Hitachi Travelstar. I ended up going with this because I have a WD my passport which works pretty swell after running steam games off it. AND I noticed many of the Hitachi drives were dying at an alarming rate in ONLY the macbook reviewer's reviews (everyone was reporting similar problems in an alarmingly similar time frame-- go check it out for yourself!)

FOR MACBOOK USERS:
So it was pretty to swap this hard drive in, and I restored from a Time Machine Full System Back up, and LION Recovery Assistant USB (which I made myself following Apple's instructions on their site! This is highly recommend for all Lion users who are switching to a new hard drive using LION/Time Machine seeing as how your Lion Recovery Partition will ONLY be on your old hard drive--- even after restoring from back up you lose the partition! LOL I checked and the only way to restore it is to reinstall lion which at this point I feel would be too much of a hassle and the recovery thumb drive works just fine.)

NOW BACK TO DRIVE REVIEW:
It took about 1 hour and 30 minutes to get back up and running. (I only transferred over 80 gb from a 160 gb stock Fujitsu 5400rpm hard drive. So let's address some concerns I had before purchasing (it took days of me going OCD on forums trying to figure out everything users had to say about this drive and it's performance.)

- NOISE: Since this is a 7200rpm drive, many users noted that theirs makes loud whirring noises and chirps. I have yet to experience this (I've had the drive for about two weeks now.) I really believe these people got a fluke drive or weren't careful enough installing it correctly. My drive, while not as quiet as the stock drive, does give off a slight "air" sound which is lower than the macbook's "monster" fans. Overall the system is very quiet and you should NOT let negative reviews stop you! This is actually quieter than my "whipser"-quiet 160gb PS3 slim.... and that is saying a lot :)

-ADVANCED FORMATTING troubles: Didn't have any. LION/Time Machine recognized the drive immediately! No crashes during set up.

-VIBRATIONS- seeing as how this IS a 7200rpm drive, there is a slight vibration. Like another reviewer stated, it is no more than a WD MyPassport portable hard drive! Actually a bit less vibration. To help Macbook users get an idea, it feels a little less like what it feels like to have a DVD in the Superdrive.

- TEMPERATURE: Using iSTAT, my old hard drive was 37 degrees all the time. This one is 40 degrees when it's really working.

-SPEED BOOST: Though not exactly noticeable coming from a 5400 rpm drive, start up is about ten seconds faster. Programs start 3 seconds sooner. What is better is that capturing footage or audio recording straight from the macbook is much faster. I use my macbook to record videos, music, and occasional design files. Everything seems to feel a bit snappier and smooth. No hiccups or stutter with media.

-BATTERY LIFE: My battery health is about 79% but I do notice this drive sucks more power than the stock drive. I get about 20 minutes less than before with each charge depending on what I am doing. Not bad.

-SUDDEN MOTION SENSOR: The Macbook settings are the same and moving it around while recording videos has no effect on it. (Just don't go crazy shaking it like you want to kill it. No conflict.

CONCLUSION:

Though I have not had this drive for long, I would highly recommend it for those of you who are on edge. I will definitely be updating this review if it happens to die, or some funky things start happening to it. So, if you need the space, don't care for an SSD, and want a slight speed increase, I HIGHLY recommend this! Not to mention the price on Amazon is swell!
on January 19, 2011
I have been a fan of WD for many years. Sure most companies go through periods when their products might not live up to expectations but WD has really stepped up their game.

I purchased this drive to replace a Momentus XT in my Macbook 15" Unibody 2010. I simply gave up with the bizarre behavior and constant firmware upgrades of the Momentus and went with this Scorpio Black released just days ago.

Much to my suprise, its pretty much as fast as the Momentus XT (when it was working correctly) except for boot. Since I am on a Mac, I really dont reboot much so its not an issue.

The 750GB capacity is stunning!! I have a 500GB Mac partition and a 250GB Windows Partition and I am pretty much set until SSDs drop in price.

This drive carries a 5 year warranty and WD has always supposed their warranty program well.

I am not noticing very much vibration in my Macbook but to be honest, I yanked the slow 5400rpm drive and replaced it with the Momentus as soon as I unboxed so I can not compare against the original drive.

Battery life has decreased slightly (30 mins) but given the speed of the drive and the performance increase, that is to be expected.

Remember if you are replacing in a Mac, do yourself a favor and invest in a quality set of percision screwdrivers as the screws are easily stripped and can often times be tight enough to strip inferior tools.
88 comments| 85 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 8, 2011
This is a perfect upgrade for your new Quad-Core Macbook Pro. Although Apple offers a 750GB drive option, it's not 7200rpm and that's a shame-their drive options limit an otherwise excellent machine. The speed of this drive in a new quad-core i7 15" Macbook Pro is astounding, and places this machine squarely at the desktop replacement level. It's quiet (as quiet as the stock 5400 rpm drive) and I can feel zero vibration. Battery life seems excellent, topping 7 hours with web surfing, MS Word, and less intensive applications that are not disk-intensive or use the discrete graphics.

Highly recommended.
44 comments| 63 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
The 5,400 RPM 8MB cache 320 MB factory-installed hard drive on my wife's Toshiba notebook computer failed recently, so I bought this one as a replacement. Toshiba's technical support representative confirmed that the computer's BIOS would not recognize a larger drive. Savings from buying a slower, smaller drive were not significant, which is why I chose this one.

This drive was delivered quickly in a cushioned package and has performed flawlessly. After I restored the same original factory-installed Windows 7 Home Premium operating system and re-installed all of the application programs, boot times with this drive have been noticeably faster than with the computer's original hard drive. Opening and saving files has also been significantly faster, which I attribute to this drive's larger cache and faster rotational speed.

Without any long-term experience, I have no way of knowing whether this drive will outlast the Hitachi drive that was installed in my wife's computer by the factory, but my experience with WD drives has generally been good, which is one reason that I chose this brand. Any hard drive, if used long enough, will eventually fail. Therefore backing up important data is always important, even with a relatively-new, hard drive from a respected manufacturer.
on August 26, 2011
I swapped my 60 gig hard drive out of my ps3 for this 500 gig one and it worked great. Don't worry about loosing your downloaded content because you can redownload it for free (you already paid for it). Just look in your PSN account("download history").It took me about 15 min. to copy my game save data to 16 gig usb flash drive, swap hard drives, then reinstall them. If you buy a 2.5 inch sata hard drive case you can use your old one for a portable external storage device.
on March 6, 2014
This is the 3rd WD Black hard drive that failed in my laptop. This one died in 2 days! I replaced it with a Seagate Laptop Thin SSHD 500GB Hard Drive ST500LM000 6Gb/s 64 MB Cache and it's been running like a champ for months now. The laptop hard drive went bad after maybe 6 months and when I opened it up this is what was inside. So I just ordered the same thing to save time researching what my replacement options were. Well 5 months later the second one failed also and who knows why but I actually bought a 3rd one. I must love replacing hard drives and reinstalling everything! 2 days later I went to boot up the laptop and it wouldn't. After spending an hour with it I determined to my disbelief that the 2 day old hard drive failed already. I didn't return it though, I smashed the thing by throwing it across the yard and into the street. Trust me I got my more than my monies worth out in aggression. The Seagate has been running for months now without even the slightest hiccup.
on October 14, 2009
It's amazing how fast you can burn up the space on computers today. Because of all of the graphics I deal with both from a business standpoint as well as at home, this unit cannot be beat. For an existing HP 9000 series laptop with an empty 2nd bay, this unit installed in minutes. However, be aware that for many laptop installations you will need to order a disk "caddy". These are available from any one of several suppliers from Amazon. Caddies provide the connection and adaptor to the specific computer model. Thus, this drive sat idle for a few days until the caddy arrived. Most are less than $20. You will also waste your time trying to get one from retail stores - even the ones that have computer geeks available. I was surprised since many sell and service HP's and others.

Regardless, the little unit booted up quickly, flawlessly and trippled my storage capacity. NOTE: Western Digital has two 320GB models. Make sure to get the Scorpio Black SATA model like this one since it has a 30+ % faster read/write speed which makes for very fast storage and retrieval of video files or multiple photos of greater than 5MB. You will not go wrong with this unit and definitely save about 50% over the same units found in retail. If speed is not an issue, you can save about 20-25% by going to the lower-priced model, but I would recommend this unit for the little difference.
on October 10, 2011
I was originally looking for a 1TB hard drive, but when I saw how small the caches were and the low RPM, I decided it would be better to sacrifice space in exchange for improved performance. This hard drive was very easy to install in my 2010 MacBook Pro 13" and worked perfectly. I used Carbon Copy Clone to copy the contents on my OEM hard drive to this one and it worked great the first time. It seems to actually be quiter than my OEM hard drive, however I notice that the MacBook gets slightly warmer. No big deal. It's not heating up enough that it would cause performance issues or damage. Overall, I'm very happy with this purchase and would recommend the hard drive to others.
on September 2, 2011
My hard drive on one of my laptops failed, so I called HP to get a new one. After fighting for weeks with the horrible HP customer support to get a new hard drive for my laptop (which mind you is still under warranty), I got fed up with dealing with their crap and decided to just buy a new one myself. They probably would have given me another crappy hard drive anyway.

Anyway, I ordered this one and got it the very next day, popped out the old one, put in the new hard drive, reinstalled Windows 7 and put all my programs and files back on my PC without any problems. The hard drive is fast at transferring and receiving files, and it's very quiet unlike my last hard drive. I've had no problems with it at all and it running very smoothly.