Industrial Deals Beauty Summer Reading STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Shop Shop Popular Services _fof _fof _fof  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis Trade it in. Fund the next. Shop Now toystl17_gno

Format: Blu-ray|Change

Showing 1-10 of 4,135 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 4,853 reviews
on November 5, 2013
I received this yesterday and did a spot check today. The new BD looks to be the same visually as the earlier BD issue. The DTS sound was clean enough, but as the original mono soundtrack isn't exactly a barn burner, there's no great improvement.

Extras: Being able to access an HD digital version is a plus, and the BD includes a new featurette entitled "Christmas in Ohio: A Christmas Story House," which runs 21:19 and features an all-growed-up Ian Petrella (aka Randy) and Brian Jones, founder of the "A Christmas Story House" in Cleveland. Also, the original recordings by Jean Shepherd that appeared on the 20th-anniversary DVD edition but were missing on the earlier BD have returned. What's still missing are the 20th-anniversary trivia & decoder ring extras from the DVD, which were sort of lame anyway. Watching some of the extras as the participants keep referring to the 20th anniversary of the film (the edition for which the extras were originally filmed) emphasizes how little updating was done for this 30th Anniversary BD Edition.

This 2-disc set includes a DVD as well - it includes both widescreen and full screen versions of the film. The BD contains only the widescreen version. Packaging is a steel book.

Love the movie - I bought this latest issue in the anticipation that I'll be giving my single-BD set away to friends this year (which I did).

If you already own this on BD, you need not double dip.
1919 comments| 130 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 1, 2016
Jean Shepard who wrote and narrates this perfectly understands the thinking of a boy of that era. The sets, costumes etc. are all perfect.
The story line is simply adorable and enjoyable for children and adults alike and you don't have to be a Christian to appreciate and enjoy it as well.
Every year one of the cable channels runs it over and over for 24 hours on Christmas, but out of season we had to rent it.
on January 17, 2016
I am admittedly biased, but I LOVE this movie. This is one of the only movies I have ever seen that captured the way the world really looks in the eyes of a child. The perception of bullies, peer pressure (kid who was double dog dared to put his tongue on a freezing flag pole), and the feeling that getting something through the mail as a kid authenticates you in the world. But to be clear, this is not a smarmy tiptoe through childhood. This is a comedy, from beginning to end. The sadistic Santa that steps on Ralphie's face to get him to go down the slide, the bunny outfit that Ralphie had to wear because one of his relatives made it for him, Darren McGavin's constant battles with his furnace, the Chinese restaurant they had to go to on Christmas because the neighbor's dogs ate the thanksgiving turkey. Pure magic.......
on March 4, 2017
I must have first seen this when I was 10. This tops every Ranklin-Bass, Home Alone1+2 Christmas movies out there. Really great story line and morals like: you'll shoot your eye out/ I double dog dare ya!. I got this to try out with my new FireTV. Looks great remastered in 1080p. Now I own it for life without the hassle of another disc on my shelf. Highly recommended family entertainment for all ages, regardless if you celebrate Christmas or not.
on October 14, 2015
look when i bought this movie last year, it was a friend reccomendation that brought me to it. i've never been a fan of Christmad years, and Christmas was right around the corner when i purchased it. i'm not a bah-humbug, but most basic cable Christmas movies leave a lot to be desired. i watched this and i fell in love with it, and i would honestly go as far as to say that it's the best Christmas movie i have watched, and that anyone can enjoy it, ranging from families, children, and adults both young and old. it's cheesy, it's cute, and regardless of your own personal sense of humour, it has something in it for everyone.

last but not certainly not least, is it does what all Christmas movies i have watched have failed to do: to capture the magic and the spirit of Christmas time, and i can picture families sitting in front of the TV in the living room on Christmas Eve, rejoicing and enjoying this film on the most celebrated seasonal festivity of the year
on November 20, 2016
I want to share this with my grandkids this year at Christmas! We ALWAYS watched this when my girls were growing up. What's not to love about Ralphie's quest for his Red Ryder 200 Shot Carbine Action Air Rifle? Come on, it's a classic! I don't think I could ever get tired of this movie.
This is a 20th anniversary edition and comes with 2 discs.. the movie disc has the choice of both full and wide screen. The 2nd disc has all kinds of extras to choose from, even a documentary about the movie. This is as great as the movie we watch every year on cable except no commercials! I love it!

A Christmas Story (Two-Disc Special Edition)
on December 20, 2014
Holds up to repeated semi-annual viewings, the characters are nicely over-the-top, characterized truly from a kid's point of view. Nostalgia with a nice twist, you might recognize yourself or a situation whether alive during this era or not.This familiarity is how A Christmas Story has accrued its classic status.
I remember when it was first released and the timing was awkward, it was out a couple of weeks too soon before Christmas to gain a huge holiday audience. Nonetheless as word got around over the years it gained staus as a viewing tradition for many families. Not easy to compete with It's A Wonderful Life but this one is right up there. Solid storytelling and period design is spot on.
From a couple of discrepancies in the dated items shown in the film (clothes, decoder rings, newspapers, sports trades) there is some debate as to what year this story is "supposed" to have taken place. But I chose to think that it's pre-war (or even post war), at any rate a time of innocence for the kids. It's their fantasy and it becomes ours, the desire for a particular Christmas gift being the most important thing in the world without feeling guilty for posessing that degree of materialism. It's good to enjoy that age again and this film takes us there superbly and in sublime fashion.
on June 3, 2017
I watch this every Christmas with my children and grandchildren every year and my cable went out due to the weather and we couldn't watch it last year! So, to ensure that we would never have a Christmas without it again, I had to buy it! It reminds me of the Christmases I had as a child and the anticipation of wondering if I was going to get what I asked Santa for!! So much fun and it's hilarious!!
on December 19, 2014
More than 2600 reviews! How does one get useful information here about a specific product when amazon lumps together reviews of EVERY VERSION ever released, written over a span of decades??? We all know the movie itself and its many charms, and I would guess that the majority of folks shopping for A Christmas Story already like/love/LOVE it. So I will confine my comments to one specific product: The 2008 "Ultimate Collector's Edition", which ships in a metal canister and includes a string of "leg lamp lights" along with the Blu-ray disc. First, the disc: As a few others have pointed out, there's not much new here, compared with earlier DVD releases--just a commentary track, a few trailers and recycled special features from the 20th anniversary (2003) DVD release (still in standard definition). The main feature is a mediocre transfer with way more digital artifacts than should be present in an HD Blu-ray release. Still, I doubt that most viewers would notice or care--it's a nostalgia-soaked holiday feel-good movie, after all. The leg lamp lights are actually pretty well done--ten mini leg lamps about 3-3/4" tall that stretch out to nearly ten feet. Best of all, the legs themselves radiate "the soft glow of electric sex" as Jean Shepherd would have wanted. As for the tin, it's a functional canister which can hold things, such as holiday baked goodies; but would it have killed them to print some images from the movie on the sides and back? (The decorative borders wrap around, but frame nothing--just more green metal.) I'm withholding one star for the shamelessly "half-fast" execution, but of course, the movie itself rates a big five. Note: Recently this set has been offered for much less than standalone sets of leg lamp lights on amazon, so you could buy it for the lights and get the movie & tin as a bonus. Ho, ho, ho!
on March 8, 2017
This is THE greatest Christmas movie ever made! HANDS DOWN! Scrooged is pretty good too, but this one is still the best. I can't begin to even guess how many times I've seen this movie and I know that EVERY Christmas I'll watch it at least three times! This is THE 'must have' Christmas movie and if you have kids, they'll love it too!