Amazon Business Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery March Birthstone Book House Cleaning animestrike animestrike animestrike  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis Trade in and get paid instantly Tackle Any Terrain with Cycling on Amazon STEM

Format: Blu-ray|Change

Showing 1-10 of 4,214 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 5,057 reviews
on November 5, 2013
I received this yesterday and did a spot check today. The new BD looks to be the same visually as the earlier BD issue. The DTS sound was clean enough, but as the original mono soundtrack isn't exactly a barn burner, there's no great improvement.

Extras: Being able to access an HD digital version is a plus, and the BD includes a new featurette entitled "Christmas in Ohio: A Christmas Story House," which runs 21:19 and features an all-growed-up Ian Petrella (aka Randy) and Brian Jones, founder of the "A Christmas Story House" in Cleveland. Also, the original recordings by Jean Shepherd that appeared on the 20th-anniversary DVD edition but were missing on the earlier BD have returned. What's still missing are the 20th-anniversary trivia & decoder ring extras from the DVD, which were sort of lame anyway. Watching some of the extras as the participants keep referring to the 20th anniversary of the film (the edition for which the extras were originally filmed) emphasizes how little updating was done for this 30th Anniversary BD Edition.

This 2-disc set includes a DVD as well - it includes both widescreen and full screen versions of the film. The BD contains only the widescreen version. Packaging is a steel book.

Love the movie - I bought this latest issue in the anticipation that I'll be giving my single-BD set away to friends this year (which I did).

If you already own this on BD, you need not double dip.
1919 comments| 127 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 20, 2014
Holds up to repeated semi-annual viewings, the characters are nicely over-the-top, characterized truly from a kid's point of view. Nostalgia with a nice twist, you might recognize yourself or a situation whether alive during this era or not.This familiarity is how A Christmas Story has accrued its classic status.
I remember when it was first released and the timing was awkward, it was out a couple of weeks too soon before Christmas to gain a huge holiday audience. Nonetheless as word got around over the years it gained staus as a viewing tradition for many families. Not easy to compete with It's A Wonderful Life but this one is right up there. Solid storytelling and period design is spot on.
From a couple of discrepancies in the dated items shown in the film (clothes, decoder rings, newspapers, sports trades) there is some debate as to what year this story is "supposed" to have taken place. But I chose to think that it's pre-war (or even post war), at any rate a time of innocence for the kids. It's their fantasy and it becomes ours, the desire for a particular Christmas gift being the most important thing in the world without feeling guilty for posessing that degree of materialism. It's good to enjoy that age again and this film takes us there superbly and in sublime fashion.
on January 17, 2016
I am admittedly biased, but I LOVE this movie. This is one of the only movies I have ever seen that captured the way the world really looks in the eyes of a child. The perception of bullies, peer pressure (kid who was double dog dared to put his tongue on a freezing flag pole), and the feeling that getting something through the mail as a kid authenticates you in the world. But to be clear, this is not a smarmy tiptoe through childhood. This is a comedy, from beginning to end. The sadistic Santa that steps on Ralphie's face to get him to go down the slide, the bunny outfit that Ralphie had to wear because one of his relatives made it for him, Darren McGavin's constant battles with his furnace, the Chinese restaurant they had to go to on Christmas because the neighbor's dogs ate the thanksgiving turkey. Pure magic.......
on April 17, 2007
I really believe when the history of the movie industry is finally completed, four movies will be tied for best Christmas movie. They will be; "It's a Wonderful Life", "Miracle On 34th Street", "a Christmas Story", and 'Home Alone". Second place will go to one of the many versions of Dicken's "A Christmas Carol". "Christmas Story" is my personal favorite of the four.

I was somewhat surprised that the story was set in the forties. I had always that it was in the fifties when I was in my preteens. On looking closer, I see that it could have just as easily been the thirties, forties, fifties, or even the early sixties. The movie is really set at a time outside of history called "childhood". The true wonder of this movie is how vividly it brings back memories of early youth, no matter when you were born.

Give full credit to Jean Shepherd. The measure of the success of this movie is the faithfulness in which it brings his characters and stories to life. His narrative in voice over is one of the highlights of the film. The wonderful combination of sentiment and satire sparkles through the show like bubbles in a glass of ginger ale. Not too sweet and just sharp enough.

Enough said about the movie itself. It's a classic and you need it in your collection. You owe it to your family.

This version, the twentieth anniversary, double disc special edition is exceptionally good. After viewing the movie, go back and view it with the commentary by Bob Clarke and Peter Billingsley. That alone is worth the price of the set. But, that's not all. There's also a whole extra special feature disk with goodies for the whole family. There's the true story of the the Daisy Red Rider BB gun, a featurette showing the making of the movie and.. Wonder of Wonders... a trip to the Factory that makes the Glorious LAMP. There are also some nice interactive games for the kids, but the biggest treat on the second disk is the audio readings by Jean Shepherd of two of the stories from which the movies were made. I don't care if you did just see the movie. He will hold you spellbound in front of the image of an old radio. He is that good!

I wish that I had more stars to give this set. It is AWESOME!
on November 20, 2016
I want to share this with my grandkids this year at Christmas! We ALWAYS watched this when my girls were growing up. What's not to love about Ralphie's quest for his Red Ryder 200 Shot Carbine Action Air Rifle? Come on, it's a classic! I don't think I could ever get tired of this movie.
This is a 20th anniversary edition and comes with 2 discs.. the movie disc has the choice of both full and wide screen. The 2nd disc has all kinds of extras to choose from, even a documentary about the movie. This is as great as the movie we watch every year on cable except no commercials! I love it!

A Christmas Story (Two-Disc Special Edition)
on November 1, 2016
Jean Shepard who wrote and narrates this perfectly understands the thinking of a boy of that era. The sets, costumes etc. are all perfect.
The story line is simply adorable and enjoyable for children and adults alike and you don't have to be a Christian to appreciate and enjoy it as well.
Every year one of the cable channels runs it over and over for 24 hours on Christmas, but out of season we had to rent it.
on March 4, 2017
I must have first seen this when I was 10. This tops every Ranklin-Bass, Home Alone1+2 Christmas movies out there. Really great story line and morals like: you'll shoot your eye out/ I double dog dare ya!. I got this to try out with my new FireTV. Looks great remastered in 1080p. Now I own it for life without the hassle of another disc on my shelf. Highly recommended family entertainment for all ages, regardless if you celebrate Christmas or not.
on March 10, 2013
My spouse loves this film and so do I. The film is set during the World War II. It is about a little boy named Ralphie and is quest for the "greatest Christmas gift of all time: the Red Ryder BB gun" and how he goes about trying to get it for Christmas. It is funny, heartwarming and just plain Christmas. The only part I dodn't care for are Ralphi's daydreams. Hence, the four stars. Other that that, this is a great film to watch any time of year, with or without your family, especially if you need a pick me up. This is an excellent film at Christmas time and I have no hesitation recommending it. Darren McGavin is great as pop. enjoy Ralphie and his family as they celebrate Christmas with a meal of Chinese turkey.
on March 8, 2017
This is THE greatest Christmas movie ever made! HANDS DOWN! Scrooged is pretty good too, but this one is still the best. I can't begin to even guess how many times I've seen this movie and I know that EVERY Christmas I'll watch it at least three times! This is THE 'must have' Christmas movie and if you have kids, they'll love it too!
on March 5, 2017
As a family, this is our all time favorite Christmas movie. We bought it as a present for our son, just to have a copy as a keepsake. If you have never watched this film, give it a look. It will tug at all your emotions. A masterpiece.