Shop Auto Winter Products Salon Beauty Best Books of the Year Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video  Three new members of the Echo family Save $50 on All-New Fire HD 10. Limited-time offer. $30 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

A Christmas Story [Blu-ray]
Format: Blu-ray|Change

on November 24, 2013
This was the perfect opportunity to REALLY do it right. One of the most beloved holiday movies of all-time was having its 30th anniversary, and there's a huge fanbase waiting and willing to pay for the ultimate in a quality remastering of both the video and audio of A Christmas Story. So what do we get? Some modest tweaks to the mono audio and no video improvements at all. It's such a cynical ploy to re-sell the same movie while making the most minimal effort possible to improve it, that it feels like Scut Farkus just took my money.

While I appreciate the added featurette, this 30th Anniversary Edition could have been and should have been SO much better than this. Obviously, this is a five-star+ movie, but I'm being generous in giving this Anniversary edition three stars for the effort in creating it. Thanks so much for taking the time to read my review, and I hope you find it helpful in making a buying decision.
351 helpful votes
352 helpful votes
55 comments|Report abuse
on November 5, 2013
I received this yesterday and did a spot check today. The new BD looks to be the same visually as the earlier BD issue. The DTS sound was clean enough, but as the original mono soundtrack isn't exactly a barn burner, there's no great improvement.

Extras: Being able to access an HD digital version is a plus, and the BD includes a new featurette entitled "Christmas in Ohio: A Christmas Story House," which runs 21:19 and features an all-growed-up Ian Petrella (aka Randy) and Brian Jones, founder of the "A Christmas Story House" in Cleveland. Also, the original recordings by Jean Shepherd that appeared on the 20th-anniversary DVD edition but were missing on the earlier BD have returned. What's still missing are the 20th-anniversary trivia & decoder ring extras from the DVD, which were sort of lame anyway. Watching some of the extras as the participants keep referring to the 20th anniversary of the film (the edition for which the extras were originally filmed) emphasizes how little updating was done for this 30th Anniversary BD Edition.

This 2-disc set includes a DVD as well - it includes both widescreen and full screen versions of the film. The BD contains only the widescreen version. Packaging is a steel book.

Love the movie - I bought this latest issue in the anticipation that I'll be giving my single-BD set away to friends this year (which I did).

If you already own this on BD, you need not double dip.
131 helpful votes
132 helpful votes
1919 comments|Report abuse
on November 1, 2016
Jean Shepard who wrote and narrates this perfectly understands the thinking of a boy of that era. The sets, costumes etc. are all perfect.
The story line is simply adorable and enjoyable for children and adults alike and you don't have to be a Christian to appreciate and enjoy it as well.
Every year one of the cable channels runs it over and over for 24 hours on Christmas, but out of season we had to rent it.
5 helpful votes
6 helpful votes
on November 20, 2016
I want to share this with my grandkids this year at Christmas! We ALWAYS watched this when my girls were growing up. What's not to love about Ralphie's quest for his Red Ryder 200 Shot Carbine Action Air Rifle? Come on, it's a classic! I don't think I could ever get tired of this movie.
This is a 20th anniversary edition and comes with 2 discs.. the movie disc has the choice of both full and wide screen. The 2nd disc has all kinds of extras to choose from, even a documentary about the movie. This is as great as the movie we watch every year on cable except no commercials! I love it!

A Christmas Story (Two-Disc Special Edition)
3 helpful votes
on December 20, 2014
Holds up to repeated semi-annual viewings, the characters are nicely over-the-top, characterized truly from a kid's point of view. Nostalgia with a nice twist, you might recognize yourself or a situation whether alive during this era or not.This familiarity is how A Christmas Story has accrued its classic status.
I remember when it was first released and the timing was awkward, it was out a couple of weeks too soon before Christmas to gain a huge holiday audience. Nonetheless as word got around over the years it gained staus as a viewing tradition for many families. Not easy to compete with It's A Wonderful Life but this one is right up there. Solid storytelling and period design is spot on.
From a couple of discrepancies in the dated items shown in the film (clothes, decoder rings, newspapers, sports trades) there is some debate as to what year this story is "supposed" to have taken place. But I chose to think that it's pre-war (or even post war), at any rate a time of innocence for the kids. It's their fantasy and it becomes ours, the desire for a particular Christmas gift being the most important thing in the world without feeling guilty for posessing that degree of materialism. It's good to enjoy that age again and this film takes us there superbly and in sublime fashion.
on November 8, 2017
Not my type of movie, but probably a good watch for those who like 1940's-esque productions, or for those who watched this movie as a child. I had not watched this as a child, and saw the movie, as it had been described by an acquaintance as "a classic." This being said, the quality of the movie (SD versus HD with playback on an iPad) was below that which I am used to in even older, rented, SD movies, such as "It's a Wonderful Life." With "A Christmas Story," the picture could be crisp at one moment, then highly blurred or "pixelated," then mildly blurred. I have watched many other SD movies on an iPad without issue, and am not sure what the problem was with this particular movie. A suggestion, if you like this type of movie (sort of like "Father Knows Best" meets "The Little Rascals"), consider viewing it in HD versus SD for a possibly better viewing experience.
0Comment|Report abuse
My spouse loves this film and so do I. The film is set during the World War II. It is about a little boy named Ralphie and is quest for the "greatest Christmas gift of all time: the Red Ryder BB gun" and how he goes about trying to get it for Christmas. It is funny, heartwarming and just plain Christmas. The only part I dodn't care for are Ralphi's daydreams. Hence, the four stars. Other that that, this is a great film to watch any time of year, with or without your family, especially if you need a pick me up. This is an excellent film at Christmas time and I have no hesitation recommending it. Darren McGavin is great as pop. enjoy Ralphie and his family as they celebrate Christmas with a meal of Chinese turkey.
on October 28, 2017
This was disappointing. When I opened the mailing envelope there was this DVD in a pkg similar to a DVD container but so cheaply made, I thought would fall apart before I got it out. I cked the pkg and discovered it was from Mexico...like a reproduced version so overrecorded it was a bit blurry. Can't give it as a gift to my granddaughter. So just threw it away and went looking at Walmart. It's sad when item at Walmart was better than Amazon. I think there should be something in the description that gives you a heads up on origin. This is not like @Amazon.I have never been disappointed with anything I've bought from Amazon before. I do love the movie itself in its original form. LOVE Amazon!
on June 29, 2017
One of our favorite Christmas movies ! I had to get this DVD to add to our collection because I always want to watch it around December and it never comes on tv until Christmas eve. Glad to add this one to our Christmas movie collection !
on March 5, 2017
As a family, this is our all time favorite Christmas movie. We bought it as a present for our son, just to have a copy as a keepsake. If you have never watched this film, give it a look. It will tug at all your emotions. A masterpiece.