Amazon Business Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Luxury Beauty March Birthstone Book House Cleaning GimmeDanger GimmeDanger GimmeDanger  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis Elton John Tackle Any Terrain with Cycling on Amazon STEM

Showing 1-10 of 3,617 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 4,852 reviews
VINE VOICEon December 30, 2008
Color: Silver|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )|Verified Purchase
I love this product - it is a pleasure to use, functions beautifully, and is beautifully designed.

The other reviewers have already said much of what I would have written. The 'Out of Box Experience' is superb. As another reviewer noted, the packaging is quite a bit like Apple's (see photos) - attractive graphics on an inner box protected in an outer, recyclable box. The oven itself, when compared to the Cuisinart TOB-165 that we have been using (or even the stainless steel TOB-195 model), is like comparing an Apple Mac to a Dell: visually more stylish and appealing, better engineered 'guts', and once operated, functionally very well thought out.

A few years ago, our old toaster oven died and we migrated to the Cuisinart which, like this Breville BOV800XL, is a convection oven / toaster / broiler. We liked it so much, that we gifted several more to friends and family. Ah, if only this Breville had ben available then...

The Breville is so vastly superior in every way - function, capacity, ease of use, and ease of cleaning. I cannot recommend it highly enough.

The timer on the Breville turns the oven off at the end of any kind of cycle as you would expect - toast, bagel, bake, broil, pizza, etc.This is hugely wonderful compared to the Cuisinart unit which only turns itself off after toasting - you have to remember to turn it off when in any other mode. (The Cuisinart's timer is 'dumb' - just a beeper.) Also, each Breville cycle has smart default settings, and can remember your own settings for temperature and time, or slices (toast) and darkness, etc.

The BOV800XL accomodates a 13" pizza pan (included). We made two pizzas tonight to test the oven, one fresh (deli) the other frozen. I dialed the 'pizza' setting, dropped the default 450 temperature to 425, accepted convection mode, and accepted the default 12" size for the fresh pizza and pressed the on button. Once preheated, the oven beeped for the pizza to be inserted. At the end of the timed cycle, the oven turned off and beeped again: perfect pizza!

I then did a 9" frozen Amy's pizza. Similar procedure as above, but dialed the size knob down to 9" and pressed the 'frozen food' button. Again, perfect at the end of the cycle.

Toast setting works great - up to 6 pieces of toast, as does the bagel setting, which toasts the top at a higher temp then the bottom to make the top crispy and the bottom warm but still soft. Frozen waffles come out great - crunchy outside and moist inside, instead of all dried out.

For baking, a 13" x 9" baking pan easily fits inside as does, of course, the larger pan that comes with the unit, loaf pans and small muffin pans.

The glass door conveniently labels the three rack positions for broil, toast/cookie/bagel/pizza, and bake/roast/reheat/warm.

The crystalline-looking heating elements (three on top, two on the bottom) seem to heat faster, and more evenly, than the metallic elements in other counter-top ovens. Depending on the mode/cycle, the oven enables or disables certain elements, and changes the wattage of others.

The crumb tray in the front answer another of my big complaints about the Cuininart. No effort to pull the tray out at any time to brush off crumbs, or wash off accidental spills. (The Cuinsart's crumb tray slides out of the rear of that unit, requiring minor gymnastics - enough to put it off until it is really gross.)

The stainless finish and assembly is of high quality, and the oversized handle and control knobs give a feel of quality as well (and match current upper to high end major appliances).

No doubt I'll have more comments after we use the Breville BOV800XL for a few months, but for now, I can only sing its praises.

----------

Boring details:

Dimension Comparison to Cuisinart TOB-165/195:

The Breville being slightly larger permits it to be used for items that otherwise would have to go into a regular oven. The interior of the Breville is 13 1/2" x 11 1/2" x 5" high (to clear the elements), with a curved recess in the back so that a nearly 13" pizza pan fits. The Cuisinart is 11 1/2" x 9 3/4" x 5" which cannot accommodate pizza, nor a 13 x 9 pan and toasts only 4 pieces of bread.

The small increase in interior space which results in so much greater versatility is at the expense of only an inch of counter space required. The Breville exterior is roughly 18 1/2" wide x 16" deep x 10 3/4" high compared to the Cuisinart 17 1/2" wide x 14" deep x 10" high.

Electrical Notes:

As others note, the oven uses a maximum of 1800 watts, which is basically all that a 15 amp circuit has to offer (most home kitchens will have either 15 or 20 amp circuits). So, you shouldn't use other power hungry appliances on the same circuit as the BOV800XL. As noted in the owner's manual, you must have a grounded 3-prong outlet, which any modern home will have. Even though my kitchen is 20 years old, I'm fortunate that the electrician had included three circuits for appliances so no problems here.

With regard to those concerned about the short cord: do note that electrical codes require that outlets on kitchen counters be serviced by a minimum of two separate circuits and be no more than 2 feet from one another (4 feet at a corner). Even under older codes that permit outlets up to 6' apart, the 3' cord is adequate.

Installation note:

This is a countertop oven. When operating, nothing should be within 4" of any side. Because some people are accustomed to GE/Black and Decker toaster ovens that mount under cabinets, do note that that is NOT an option here because of the high heat and clearances required. You really do need to have enough counter space to accommodate the unit.

UPDATE November 2014: the door spring broke today, so the door flops open. That mine lasted almost 6 years of daily use is remarkable as I read many reports of other people's springs breaking after 3 or 4 years of use. This is painful to repair...as so many screws have to be removed and contortions with the dangerously sharp metal case performed. Steps can be found online. Heading to a hardware store tomorrow to find a close match to the spring. My old spring broke on BOTH ends. Given that I got 6 years out of the oven, I won't reduce my 5 star review, although I feel that an item this expensive should be easier to repair.
5555 comments| 1,361 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 11, 2016
My experience with this Breville oven has unfortunately not been positive. Given the overwhelming number of positive reviews here, I must be having the worst luck.

I'm on my third oven, the first two were replaced by Breville support.

The first oven had temp accuracy issues - as verified by two thermometers: an analog oven thermometer as well as a professional thermoworks digital probe thermometer (rated to 700F). The oven was over 15 degrees off the temp I set it at. Further, it could not hit 400F.

The second oven was fine with temp control, but its internal fan didn't work. On both bake and roast settings, the fan did not come on. On the first oven, the fan worked just fine.

I'm now on my third oven. The fan works fine, but again, as verified by the attached pic, the oven is inaccurate in temp. I've had it running for over 15 minutes and it's over 15 degrees off from the target 400F temp.

Breville to this point has been supportive to keep replacing these ovens, but I've just had a very negative experience with a Breville support rep. She claims that the oven is working fine, and that the oven will never sync with the temperatures shown by home thermometers. This is incorrect, as the second synced perfectly, it's just that the fan never worked so I had to send that one back.

She transferred me to a supervisor, who again just repeated the party line, and dismissed the accuracy of the thermometers I used.

I love the capacity of this oven, and want to love the claimed performance. I'm just not getting the temps that the oven claims.

I recommend that you measure your oven temps and hold Breville accountable for their performance. Both the rep and the supervisor dismissed my claims as well as the possibility that quality control could be an issue. I very much appreciate their support policies to replace the ovens, but the bottom line is that each of the three ovens I've gone through have never worked as they should.
review image
22 comments| 52 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 29, 2014
Purchased in 2010 and it was in use daily, but today the side melted and caught on fire where one of the bottom heating elements meets the side. If my son hadn't been home and near the kitchen to smell the smoke, we might be homeless... but otherwise it was a nifty little oven. Door hinges broke a year before, so had to make sure it didn't fall down during operation. The lighted panel won't light up about 2 years ago. Would I buy again, NO
review image
2323 comments| 615 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 2, 2010
After a few weeks of use I determined that the unit was defective. The unit signals you when it reaches the temperature that you select but I discovered that everything was undercooked. I used an oven thermometer and found that an expected 350 temperature signal rang when the actual oven temperature was 225. I tested this in various oven settings and it was always the same. Tech support was terrible. They first blamed it on my oven thermometer (a new Taylor) and said they would test it with the same thermometer. They promised a call in a two days. No call. I called again and was promised another call back. They did not keep their word. Each time they seemed to deny there was a problem. I called today and after giving my case number was on hold for 20 minutes. I was asked for the third time the same questions. FINALLY they agreed to send another unit. We shall see.

This may be a good unit if it works out of the box but if you have to deal with Breville customer service - good luck!

After many go-rounds with customer service, they exchanged the unit. The same problem persisted. I went through another round of unhelpful people at customer support and finally spoke to someone who claimed to be an expert. He told me the manual is wrong when it states "Once the oven has reached the set temperature, the temperature alert will sound." He claimed that things will cook properly even though the oven temperature is not what you set it at. We agreed I would try it his way as a test. I baked a Trader Joe's Eggplant Parmesan. The instructions stated to bake it for 45-50 minutes at 400 degrees. I set the oven for 400 and put it in when the bell rang. (Actual oven temperature was 275.) After 50 minutes the food was lukewarm in the center and needed 10 more minutes. Remember convection ovens are supposed to cut baking time - not increase it.

Breville offered to send me another oven but I had had it. After telling my story to Amazon (which included me calling them in Australia), they agreed that I could get a full refund even though I was beyond the exchange period. THANK YOU AMAZON!

I was so unhappy that I wrote the President of Breville. He sent me a note of apology and thought that perhaps I was the victim of a manufacturing error. He did not seem happy about the poor customer service.

I now have a Cusinart. It is smaller than the Breville and not as well engineered but it cooks things at the proper temperature.
9292 comments| 827 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 17, 2015
At first glance this looks to be a well made machine. Nice aluminum. After setting up and doing the 15 minute burn in I used the oven twice for some hamburgers and toasted buns. After the buns had finished I noticed that the LCD looks weird. It had already begun to mess up. It was displaying random stuff with the turn of the dials. After a 15 minutes unplugged the display has returned to normal (I have not tried to recreate the issue).

The dials feel cheap and flimsy. Sometimes when making selections the screen will move two choices rather then one at a time. So the dials are not calibrated very well.

The oven operates very well. I have seen reviews about the temperature being off. I have not yet noticed this.

This oven has been out for some time now. I would have thought the company to fix these issues a little more proactively.

So, my first impressions are not that high for a machine that cost this much. Price to quality of the product should be higher. 3 of 5 stars. It works well when you don't have to mess with glitchy LCD screens and over sensitive dials.

UPDATE:

After some more time with the oven I decided to get a thermometer and make sure I was getting the right temperature to see if the other reviews had some truth. To my surprise there is. I have been frequently using the oven to bake between 400-450 degrees Fahrenheit. The thermometer I just purchased reads roughly 100 or more degree cooler than what the ovens display says it should be at when the preheat is completed. With this being said I am going to have to reduce my 3 star rating down to a 2 star rating.

Uploaded two photos.
review image review image
on December 12, 2014
I love this oven! It is large for a toaster oven. It really should be named mini-oven and not toaster oven. Because while it toasts, it's construction and heating are those of an actual oven. I used it as a 3rd oven to bake casseroles at Thanksgiving. I've made pastries, rolls, heated pizza. The temperature modulation is amazing, and better than my wall ovens. It makes perfect toast, not kidding. The toast is perfectly toasted on both sides every time. The cookie setting produces perfect cookies. Again, not kidding. I am very happy I paid the extra money for this oven. It has these wonderful back stops to prevent it from getting too close to a wall while heating, of course those make it sit out on the counter a little farther, but I'm very glad for them because I tend to push stuff back. This oven is so sturdy and well made, it makes me feel safe. On the front of the door glass there is a little guide that instructs on which level to set the rack for different items. When I first saw it I sort of scoffed, but I use the guide all the time and it's very helpful. As a con, it is definitely larger and it takes up more space on the counter, but then it is a mini-oven. The only other negative, and it's barely a negative, is that the tray slides out with the door--which I actually enjoy--but then the door doesn't really push the tray back in so I have to set stuff down to close the oven door. Not a deal breaker. And I like the tray sliding out making it easier for me to remove the hot items. I highly recommend this toaster oven.
review image review image review image
I’ve owned this little oven for 3 years now. It was bought for me as a gift and I have to say that it is one of the highest quality items I’ve ever owned. My wife asked my in-laws for a convection toaster oven for Christmas a few years back when we were interested in using it as a replacement for both our toaster and our oven (which didn’t hold temperatures consistently and was impossible to clean. We were living in a rental, so replacing the oven was out of the question.

As soon as we took this oven out of the box and started using it, I noticed the production quality was higher than any other toaster oven I’d ever seen. Not only is the design sleek and modern, but the polished metal is well crafted and the digital display is intuitive to use. This makes my parents’ toaster oven seem cheap and more like a toy than an appliance by comparison.

In this day and age, customer service is not always easy to find…often when products come with warranties, companies try to find ways to snake out of honoring them. Not Breville!

I moved across country, and stuffed into my car almost all of what I was bringing with me, so every inch of the car was packed. It was a big mess. When I moved into my new apartment and I unpacked all my stuff, I noticed that one of the heating elements inside the oven had broken. How it happened I don't know, there was a good chance that it had been my fault so I called Breville to ask if I could purchase a new heating element to replace the one that had broken. Instead the Breville representative offered to replace THE WHOLE OVEN at no extra charge. They sent me via email a label to mail them the broken oven, and within days I had a brand new oven at my doorstep. I didn't even have to pay for shipping! I was genuinely shocked... This is some of the best customer service I've ever experienced!

I use this oven every single day. From simple things like toasting bread, warming up a slice of pizza, to baking banana bread. Since I live in Florida, I love being able to use this little oven instead of heating up the kitchen with the big oven. In fact, with how versatile this oven is, I don’t really see a need for having a full sized oven at all!

Sure, you could buy a cheaper toaster oven. Will it be made with this level of quality? Not likely. Will it be built to last like this one? I doubt it. Will it allow you complete control whether you are cooking, baking, or simply toasting something? Probably not. Will it look as beautiful on your counter - no way! You get what you pay for, and if you want the best convection toaster oven, there is nothing better than this one. And if you don't want the best oven and think that an entry level or medium tier one will be more than enough, spend a little extra and still buy this Breville! You'll thank me later.

If you have any question let me know, I'm happy to help! If you found this review helpful, please consider saying so below.

I have noticed that several reviews I have written on items purchased through Amazon have had the "Verified Purchase" removed incorrectly and as a result are no longer visible, which is likely happening to other people as well. When you read reviews, be sure to sort by 'All reviews' since there is obviously a bug in the system and many helpful and detailed reviews are now hidden.
on December 15, 2012
After reading many toaster oven reviews I decided to try the Breville. It arrived yesterday in great shape and I've already experimented with a few dishes. All went well but there will be a short learning curve with getting used to our first toaster oven in several years. Our home is all electric and I grew tired of seeing so much electricity wasted with the large oven; our daughter using it for a few slices of garlic bread, for example.

Some of the reviews here raised questions about temperature accuracy so I decided to test it so there would be no doubts. I used a new Norpro oven thermometer sold here on Amazon and rated 5 stars. All temps were done on the Bake setting and started at 350 with the Norpro sitting at the center of the rack in the middle position. Here are the results:

Set at 350 degrees, temperatures by the minutes:

4 minutes: 250 and the chime sounded to indicate pre-heat was complete. Temp was still steadily rising.
5 minutes: 300 degrees
6 minutes: 330 degrees
7 minutes: 340 degrees
8 minutes: 350 degrees
9 minutes: 355 degrees
10 minutes: 360, then held steady.

So, it's true, the pre-heat chime does sound early, but with the temperature steadily climbing the oven will be near ready by the time you respond to the chime and get the dish in the oven. Not an issue for me if it takes an extra minute or two to reach temp setting.

Then I turned on the Convection fan and noted the temp dropped 10 degrees over the next couple of minutes, then remained steady. This works well with the oven's actual temps being slightly warmer. The convection fan provides a sufficient breeze to circulate the air well.

I then tested other temps for accuracy. For these tests I lowered the rack to the bottom position because it placed the thermometer's center/sensing coil at mid-height in the oven. Here are settings followed by actual temperatures:

250 250-255
300 300-305
400 405-410
450 455

I did not test any higher or lower temperatures.

I have to say, I'm impressed so far with everything about the Breville oven including the temperature accuracy. Being a few degrees warmer is good in my opinion.

The power cord is 3 feet long and originates 2 inches from the right rear of the oven.

I also checked the outer surface temps by hand. With oven at 450 I could hold my hand against the right side surface easily. Left side for about 3 seconds. Top...just long enough to know you don't want to touch it there. There are vents near the top of each side and using an infra-red thermometer measured venting air around 150 degrees.

I'll update this post if any issues come up but for now I'm quite pleased with the purchase. Speaking of which, the price just dropped from $249 to $192 today on Amazon, so buy one quick. See my photos, too.
review image review image review image review image
0Comment| 119 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 11, 2011
i loved this oven , but it broke after about 5 months, it took them forever to get the shipping order done to return it, they seem very disorganized
and now it has been 2 months because it is supposedly backordered
i got a notice i would get the new one the first of april
just got another notice saying it will now be the first of june!!!
i am not impressed and certainly not for this price
i did not expect it to break but it should not take 4 months to get it fixed or a replacement, this is crazy
55 comments| 225 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 19, 2010
When my well used, reliable-until recently, several-year-old DeLonghi toaster oven died, after extensive research, I determined this was THE toaster oven for me. I was so excited when the package arrived (it's the little things for me . . . ); however, after using the oven for a few days, I started to feel like the oven was running cool. Experimenting with my oven thermometer, I learned that the oven's 400 deg was really a cool 300, and 450 was 400, consistently. I am so disappointed to be returning this oven. Bummer, bummer, bummer.
1414 comments| 186 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse