Beauty Best Books of the Month Women's Block Sandals nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Always ad-free. Learn more. Electronics Gift Guide Introducing Fire TV Cube Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon theaffairS4 theaffairS4 theaffairS4  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now Start your Baby Registry

on January 1, 2011
This winder appears to be made of a black lacquered wood and seems to be solidly constructed. It sits at an angle, which displays the watches nicely if the winder sits around or slightly below eye level. It has four heads, each powered by a separate motor.

Each head can be set to rotate clockwise, counter-clockwise, or alternating. Each head also has a set of DIP switches that allow the rotation rate to be set between 650 and 3600 turns per day, with 16 possible settings (48 total options, multiplying rotation rate by direction of rotation). The winder works on AC power only.

Unlike other winders I've had, this one rotates the head once and then rests. (My other winders, aside from the Orbita Sparta which uses a completely different mechanism, rotate constantly for an interval and then rest for an interval.) I assume the Brookstone mechanism is intended to more closely simulate actual wear. The winder is almost completely silent in operation, at least after five days of use. (I can hear a slight whirring if I put my head within a few inches of it but not otherwise.)

The cushions on this model are similar to the ones on the Orbita, in that they are made of some sort of foam that compresses to properly fit the watch. They hold the watch significantly better than the Diplomat/Belocia models and slightly better than my Wolf. The Diplomat/Belocia cushions don't compress, meaning that a watch on a bracelet will either fit them too loosely or too tightly, unless your wrist happens to be the same size as the cushion.

Initial results for the four watches I put on this winder after 24 hours:
- The Cyclos lost 1 second;
- The Sewills lost 3 seconds;
- The Gevril gained 9 seconds;
- The Sea-Gull gained 35 seconds.

Those results have held pretty much constant for about four days now, and are pretty good (although not quite as good as on the wrist), except for the Sea-Gull which only seems to be happy on my Diplomat/Belocia no-name clone that has been retired to the closet. I can live with that. I've since moved the Sea-Gull to the Orbita to see how it likes that, and put the Baume & Mercier on instead. The Baume & Mercier runs 13 seconds fast per day under all conditions, and this winder has been no exception.

Obviously I can't comment yet on long-term performance, but so far based on construction, features and performance, I'm calling this an excellent deal for a four-head winder at $200. I would rank it superior in quality to my Wolf and my no-name winder, and a better deal than the Orbita Sparta.
48 people found this helpful
|1212 comments|Report abuse
on January 25, 2013
I purchased this in July of 2012, now end of January 2013. The winder is still running great after 6 months. I have 4 upper end watches in it all the time. It has kept the watches wound perfectly. It is quiet. Looks nice. All around very good. Since I just purchased another watch, I am about to order another one. So, I believe it is a good product, or I would not order a 2nd one. I plan to revisit once this one has been running one year, but usually if something like this is going to croak, it does it in the 1st 90 days.

I could not find the dimensions, which could be critical for someone making a decision if they have to make it fit a certain space. The dimensions of the Brookstone Quad Watch Winder is 16 3/8" Long, 9 1/4" Wide (depth), and 7 5/8" High (tall).
10 people found this helpful
on February 16, 2013
This is my third watch winder and my experiences so far had not been that great. They were noisy and not enough adjustments for number of turns. My concern here was the looks. Semi-gloss black verses a burl one like my last one. While it was not as attractive as my last one I like the ability to fine tune the number of turns. I set each winder at what the watch companies suggested and turned them on. One of my watches ran down so by toggling a couple of dip switches I was able to give it a few more turn and no more issues. All adjustments are made from inside the box which means the dip switches are all in plain sight which is not optimal since once you get them set they are not touched again. On the positive side there is a push button by each winder to turn it off and on so that when removing a watch you just press the button to turn that watch's winder off and then remove the watch. Replace the watch and push the button and it starts up giving the watch one turn. Each watch is held on a black pad that fits in a cradle so that the watch is securely held. Another added bonus is that the watches always stop straight up and down so that your four watches are always lined up on display.
3 people found this helpful
on May 8, 2014
Can anyone build one of these that actually works for under $700?

Okay, I own heavy watches - gold Presidents and Sea Dwellers. But how difficult is it to design and manufacture a product that will rotate without issues? It's a simple mechanism.

Issues like eventually beginning to make moaning and grinding noises? Or the four modules being out of sync?

Sounds like a trivial issue. But it means that one or more of them are already beginning to fail.

I can't take it apart to inspect or repair it, but I guarantee it has plastic gearing. And frankly there is no excuse for using plastic in a product designed for constant duty, advertised to operate well with any watch.

Yes. There are super-expensive winders, and if I can afford such expensive watches why don't I have one of those?

Good question.

But I bought this one. And I can tell already that it will be in the trash bin within six months.

There it is.
One person found this helpful
|11 comment|Report abuse
on April 3, 2014
I bought this quad winder after seeing Brookstone's two watch winder in a store. For $50 more you get two more winders. It's a little on the large side, but other than that there is nothing I can think of not to like. Most importantly, for me, is is virtually silent. The winder is in the bedroom but I do not hear it at all. I place a high value on that quality. The watches are easy to secure in the winder. The strap fits over a small cushion which then slides into a receptacle and that's all there is to it. The switches to set the number of turns per day are dip-switches, so are impossible to set without reference to the small user guide that comes with the unit. The switch that sets the direction of rotation is a rocker switch, but again, there is no indication on the unit of which setting means what. Lastly, the on-off switch for each winding station is a push-button and there is no indication of whether the winding station is on or off. Those quibbles aside, this unit looks nice and, most importantly, keeps four automatic watches secure and wound without fuss. I'm very happy with this purchase.
on September 23, 2013
This watch winder has a very distinguished look and feel. Unfortunately, it's not so reliable. Within weeks of purchase, one of the four winders stopped rotating. Now, a second has stopped. Admittedly, I purchased this item almost 2 years ago. So 3 of the 4 winders did work for almost 2 years. I guess my primary disappointment stems from the fact that I was expecting more from a Brookstone product. To me, the name 'Brookstone' has always been associated with creative products built for solid and and sustained performance. While $200 is not an exorbitant price, by any means, for a watch winder, I am pretty disappointed.
7 people found this helpful
on April 10, 2014
I have Brookstone's single-watch winder and love it. When my watch collection expanded, I turned to Brookstone again, this time for the quad-winder. I bought my first one a month ago, and the 2 motors on the left-hand side died after a few weeks. I exchanged it for another, and motor all the way to the left side is defective straight out of the box: it is VERY noisy, and is also crooked.

I'm shopping elsewhere. Brookstone doesn't have these figured out.
One person found this helpful
on January 23, 2012
The Good: Nice fit and finish. (This unit is the WALNUT one.) It looks much nicer than what I was expecting for 200 clams. The hinge is sturdy; I don't feel like the weight of the door will do any damage to the hinge. The wood joints look well-joined. The unit is QUIET. The unit uses dipswitches to change the frequency of winding cycles.

The "Meh" (Indifferent): The felt on the inside is thin, but plush. Of course, it won't be getting much wear and tear either. The "sponges" that your watch band goes around? They fit a little too snugly into the rotating arms. I am afraid I'll damage the arms when inserting or removing the watch sponge.

The Ugly: The power connector on the back is a little loose. If you pull down on the cable a little bit, it'll break its electrical connection and stop rotating. There is no way to do a modification or repair yourself without really tearing into the whole unit. (I don't see any screws on the back to open the unit up.) I am contemplating sending the unit back to get a different one that has a good electrical connection between the power port on the winder and the plug from the AC adapter. (Of course, probably EVERY ONE of these was manufactured using the same parts, and I'll have the same electrical issue with it too...) I don't plan on moving it anytime soon, so it shouldn't lose power.

The "This might drive some people crazy": When restarting from a loss of power, watch 1 rotated in the opposite direction of watches 2-4. Yes, it is still getting wound. I switched each watch to counterclockwise for 1 cycle, then switched them BACK to alternating. Now they all go the same direction.

This item warrants 4 stars for its fit, finish, and smooth operation. The electrical connection will only annoy me if it loses power because of a light breeze.
8 people found this helpful
on March 16, 2013
Loads of speed settings and very quiet device. Looks very high quality. I have a variety of watch movements that aren't found in the Orbita recommended speed settings for the watches so I had to play around with the settings a lot to get my watches to stay or slowly wind up or down not overly winding or severely under winding them. For the price I recommend it and if you have 4 automatics and hate that they always need to be reset this is perfect and can extend the wind down time signifficantly.

Good looking felt material inside and soft rubberized watch pillows that can be a little difficult to pull out of their slots at times. Pillows seem like they would be very durable and not lose their cushioning. I have small wrists and the pillows can accommodate my 6.5 inch wrists.
on October 1, 2012
This is my second quad watch winder by Brookstone through Amazon; I also purchased a single and a double watch winder by Brookstone through Amazon earlier this year to keep my self-winding complicated watches wound (so I wouldn't have to reset all the functions (day, date, moonphase, leap year, etc.) every time I wanted to wear one of the watches) - it's also beneficial to the movements to keep them wound. The quality, ease of use and dependability coupled with the low price make these a good deal for me.
|0Comment|Report abuse

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.