Shop Auto Winter Products Beauty Get $5 off book purchases over $20* Use promo code GIFTBOOK17 Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. PCB for Musical Instruments $24.99 for a limited time only Try it first with samples Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video  Echo  Black Friday Deals Week: Fire tablets starting at $29.99. Limited-time offer. $30 off Kindle Paperwhite Just Dance 2018 Shop Now HTL17_gno

LeapFrog: Letter Factory
Format: DVD|Change

on October 1, 2012
There is a reason why the majority of Leapfrog reviews are five stars - LeapFrog: Letter Factory is the perfect mix of educational content and entertainment. I am convinced that it is one of the best children's DVDs to ever hit the market.

I have two beautiful boys: the oldest is nearly five and the youngest is 18 months. My oldest was diagnosed with PDD-NOS. While he does well in other subjects, he had shown some delays with speech and used to get frustrated and agitated when I tried to sit him down to read.

Six months ago, my best friend suggested I play some educational DVDs for him. She bought me a copy of Letter Factory to play for the oldest. "Blown away" best describes how I felt when I saw him fall in love with the DVD. I literally cried I was so happy. Now all he wants to do is watch it. The most amazing part is that not only has his speech has significantly improved, but he has started to read books on his own!

After seeing how great "Letter Factory" was for my oldest I tried showing it to my youngest. Unfortunately it was a little too advanced for him, so I did some research on Amazon to find a more age-appropriate DVD and ended up buying the Tiny Tutor DVD set. The videos are very simple and slow paced but really hold his attention. After about three months of watching my youngest son has picked up most of the numbers and a few letters. I am saving "Letter Factory" for when he is older and actual reading (not just word recognition) becomes more important.

The rest of the Leapfrog series is now on my Christmas list. I know it sounds crazy but "Letter Factory" has made me a true believer.

Beyond highly recommended - a must have!

Update - January 2013: As promised, I also bought LeapFrog: Talking Words Factory and Leapfrog: Numberland as Christmas presents for my oldest boy. He absolutely adores them!
11 comment| 362 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 31, 2017
My complaint is that it's really long. My kids definitely only make it through a few letters before they are bored and move on. The opening is long too before they even get to the letters. I wish there was an easier way to do just a few letters at a time. Unfortunately since most of what we watch now is streamed, having these dvds on hand makes it even less likely for me to use.
on October 31, 2017
I learned about the Letter Factory 13 years ago when my three year old grand daughter started reading. I borrowed her copy and showed it to my students who were struggling with phonics. I would play it while the children arrived in class and was amazed to see after a few weeks, all the children were caught up. I started sharing it with other teachers and recommending it to parents whose children were struggling with reading.
on July 22, 2016
This is my second purchase of this dvd. My now three year old enjoys watching this dvd and has learned her letters better and their sounds. After only watching it two times she was asking what sounds letters made during the day and was singing the song for that letter from the movie. This movie is wholesome and has no innuendoes or themes our family tries to stay away from. The voices and songs are not annoying for an adult to hear over and over again. My daughter enjoys watching thus multiple times a week and has grown in her interest in letters another sounds. We started watching this when she was around two years and it held her attention and helped her learn the letters and what they looked like. I would recommend this as an educational dvd for a classroom or home learning.
on May 24, 2013
Bravo! Bravo! Bravo!
This is the most fun and creative DVD for teaching Letter recognition and sound.
I bought this when my daughter was 18-month old. She doesn't like letters no matter how I present it -- magnetic letters, flash card etc. She loves numbers and can count from 1 to 10 but not consistently correct. She sometimes skip a number. She also cannot recognize numbers yet but she loves it. So what I did, I purchased Numberland and Letter Factory at the same time.I figure if I let her watch Numberland, she'll love it because it's about numbers and get use to the Leapfrog format and sure enough she got addicted to that. Recognize Numbers 1 to 10 in less than a week and was able to count consistently correct from 1 to 10. In the same note, when I presented Letter Factory in the same week, she was hooked to learning letters.
In 2 weeks, she was able to recognize about 50% of the alphabet. This is amazing development from a child who has zero interest on letters. I will pick up a letter and she screams excitedly what letter it is. There are few occassions that she was sleeping then she screamed E F G then when I checked her, she was sleeping... LOL. Having this DVD for a month now, she can recognize letters from A to Z. When we read at night, she points to the capital letters in the book and name it to me. Same goes with numbers. She is starting to say the sound of the letters too.
I rented at the local library some DVDs about alphabets (after the success of Letter Factory in our house) such as Brainy Baby, Meet the Letters, Babyscape etc etc -- they are also good but not great like Letter Factory. I let my child watch those to present the letters in different way. All the DVDs I named above have very similar presentation -- showing the letters, saying what letter it is and what sound(s) they make. Letter Factory on the otherhand is very creative in their presentation. The song is very catchy. One of those that sticks to your head. The way they teach the sound of the letter is very creative and funny for kids too like for example for letter "A". Tad (the main character) went to the training room of Letter A then Professor Quigley (the one helping Tad learn the letters) put on a monster suit and said "Booga Booga Booga" to scare the Letter A and all the letter "A" along with Tad screamed "AHHHH" in fear. My daughter loves to scream with the letter A when they make their sound "AHHHH". Now, 19-month she thinks sound of letter A is funny.
What makes this DVD superior among others is the creative presentation -- not the typical fashion.
Rating this a perfect 5 for all the reasons I named above but most importantly for delivering a proven result to my daughter.
This DVD helped her and continue to do so.
on April 30, 2014
I had heard great things about this DVD, but I was skeptical of some of the glowing reviews. Still, I figured it was worth a try.

After my three and four-year-old watched it the first time, they begged to watch it again. For several days, they immersed themselves in it. That has subsided, but this DVD is still a favorite in our house, and even if they never watched it again, I would still say we got our money's worth because of how much they were able to learn from it. By the second day of watching it, they knew every letter sound on the DVD! Now, when we go places, they will point to signs, identify, the letters, and I will start singing the song that goes with every letter in this DVD (to the tune of the Farmer in the Dell), "The A says...," they will say, "Ahhh," and then we are on our way to sounding out a word. It is absolutely amazing! I like to think I have particularly bright kids, but they have never been identified as child prodigies or anything, just typical kids with a love of learning.

We are a homeschooling family and use it to supplement Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons, which I also recommend, although that book is not as fun as the Letter Factory DVD for them, and I think it would have taken them a lot longer to grasp phonics if we had not supplemented with the DVD. Even if your child is not yet in school or attends a preschool outside of the home, I still highly recommend this DVD. It is both entertaining (for its intended audience, anyway...even for parents, it's not so bad you'll be wanting to stab your ears with Q-tips to make the singing go away like with some children's programming) and educational.

My only regret is that we did not get it sooner.
on February 12, 2015
The Letter Factory is a great video, it teaches letter sounds in an entertaining way. When my daughter was little, she learned her letter sounds in a week by watching it. Now my 5 year old son wants to read, so we got the video for him. He likes watching it & it is helping with his letter sounds. The only con is we can't keep track of videos so they either get lost or ruined and I have now bought 3 copies of this one. I need to get a digital copy!
on April 14, 2015
We bought this video because our 4 year old was having trouble remembering his letters just using flash cards. We noticed that he memorized his movies word for word so we thought an alphabet video was the key. It worked like a charm! Not only did he love the video and memorize his letters by sight, now he also knows the sounds they make and is quickly learning to write them! We couldn't be more pleased with this video and because our 2 year old daughter loves to watch it also, she will know her letters before we know it. Although this is not a replacement for traditional teaching methods, it is a great addition, as children all learn differently. It does not bother me that the letters in the video are all capital because as I have home schooled my children I have always focused on capital letters and introduced lower case letters later. It's a little overwhelming for children to have to learn both at once.
on January 6, 2010
I am an educator and bought this video to help get my 2 1/2 year old interested in learning her letters. She loves to music and enjoys singing,so I thought I would buy it for long car rides. Within two weeks she knows all her letters and their sounds. I have corrected her on the L and R since they are not correct, but her interest is now high and she asks about letters all the time and when I ask her the sound they make, she tells me. She is also making good transfer of her new learning. If I ask her what letter does dog or wagon begin with and I slow down the first letter sound, she can tell the correct letter. I would highly recommend this as a tool, but encourage parents to work with their child also so they learn both upper and lower case letters and say the sounds correctly.
on August 7, 2017
we love the letter factory. This is our third purchase of this dvd. Both of my boys before my daughter used and abused this dvd (but they learned their alphabet quickly). I had to get her a new one!