Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Stanley RST-63005 AM/FM Earmuff with AUX Input
Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Ingrid Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Snacks Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer TheKicks TheKicks TheKicks  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Celine Dion Shop Now

on March 24, 2010
ORIGIONAL REVIEW: 3 Stars
I have owned 2 pairs of Peltor headphones over the past 7 years. I wear headphones constantly both inside and while working outside. I listen to talk radio the vast majority of the time. I live in the Los Angeles Area, so my signal strength is pretty good.

My last Peltor headset works fine but after 4 years of constant use they have picked up a funky character that won't clean off. I can't count the number of times I dropped them and they still work fine.

The reception of the Stanley unit is about the same as the Peltor. It is slightly directional with AM signals. FM seems solid.

The Stanley headset quality of sound is not as bright as the Peltor Headset. It has a muffled quality because of the lack of high end sound.

The volume of the Stanley headset is not as loud as the Peltor. With the Peltor headset I would never turn the volume up to max because it would be too loud. The same can not be said for the Stanley headset. I can listen to the Stanley at full volume while mowing the lawn and wish for a bit louder volume. This may be a deal breaker for those of you who wear headphones while working with noisy equipment. I listen to talk radio, this may not be a problem for those of you who listen to music.

The top of the headphones is shaped plastic. The cups can be moved up and down but it is not adjustable for fit like the bendable metal Peltor headset frame. I have a large head and they are pretty tight. The exterior size of the ear cup is identical to Peltor. The Peltor have a larger pad area. What this means is a more narrow area of padding against your head. The cup pressure is applied to a smaller area around you ears. In my opinion not as comfortable as the Peltor headset.

The battery compartment of the Stanley is secured by a lock screw. I find this unnecessary and an inconvenience. The Stanley clips that hold the battery are not as well designed as the Peltor. The first time I put the battery in I almost bent the contact pin on the bottom backwards. They are cheap flat pins instead of springs.

The AM/FM selector seems like it was positioned poorly. It is not a very robust switch. It has some protection because it is positioned between the volume control and the headband bracket. I liked the positioning of the Peltor headset AM/FM selector better. In my opinion you are either an AM listener or an FM listener. You don't really need easy access to flip between the two.

If you are going to hook this headset up to your scanner or MP3 player, you need to turn the radio volume all the way down. This headphone does not amplify external inputs so you have no "on headset" volume control.

One nice feature of the Stanley headset is the auto off feature. After several hours of play the raido turns off automatically to preserve battery life.

In conclusion, I think these headsets are OK but not great. Since I wear them so often I have a feeling I'm going to end up getting another set of Peltor headphones. Saving a few bucks on the product I wanted ended up costing me an additional $40.

If you have any questions or suggestions that can improve this review, please leave a comment. I'd be happy to answer you questions and update the review to make it better for my headphone wearing friends

UPDATE: After wearing these headsets for less than 1 week they just died. If you are still going to buy them hold on to the packaging for a while. I understand that a certain percentage of electronics have an early mortality rate. I called Stanley customer sevice and was given the phone number for Experion's customer service. I called several times only to be put on hold for extended periods till I was disconnected. The Experion customer service agent was not friendly and she seemed annoyed that I kept calling after I was cut off.

I gave up and returned the headphones to Amazon sans packaging. Amazon accepted the return.
review image review image
1616 comments| 128 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 29, 2010
These have decent fidelity and noise protection.

I just got them, so far its 5 stars, used them for snow blowing today and it kept the noise down and could listen to classical music with good sound quality.

Only confusing thing is...when you use the audio jack you have to turn the volume all the way down (not off), then control the volume from your MP3 or player, otherwise you will also have radio at the same time.
on April 10, 2012
As a one time farmer working around a lot of loud equipment I have been through four of these radio earmuffs from various manufactures over the years, and none of them had reasonable reception. Yes, I still live in the boondocks. The last pair only picked up one station, and that one faded in and out. I carefully unpacked this unit from Stanley fully expecting to have to send them back for a refund after I tried them. To my grateful surprise they are exceptionable. I now receive 20+ FM stations, and the fit over my ears is tight and comfortable. Where have they been all my life? I offer you my highest and unqualified recommendation for this Stanley radio earmuff. They are great!
on November 4, 2010
There are very few am/fm headphones available any longer because of the popularity of digital devices. These headphones were the best I've ever owned. They fit snuggly, but not uncomfortably; they get great reception no matter where I am working; and though they may look bulky, they are really quite light. The volume control is very sensitive so that one isn't going to get a soft, quiet sound and then receive a loud sound by just moving the volume control -- it is very smooth.
on November 25, 2011
The earmuffs by themselves are comfortable and sound deadening. With the AM/FM radio, they make my noisy job as a landscaper easier and easier on my hearing. The only thing missing is a tuning display. Findng your station after losing it can be a pain. The tuner display is what is keeping me from awarding 5 out of 5 stars.
on March 12, 2010
I just got this radio,so I can not comment on anything but intial impressions!I have had two Peltor units during the past 7 years and found them to be uncomfortable as well as having poor reception and sound quality!For about half the price this Stanley product is a great improvement in all these areas.
on December 11, 2010
I love it, it is a great way to preserve your hearing and enjoy your music or whatever. I used it all summer and did not have an issue. I only wish that it was a digital radio tuner. The dial radio tuner go thru the radio frequencies really fast and your not really sure where you have landed. But I used the MP3 player most of the time so no big issue. I would buy this again.

UPDATE 22 MAY 2012
Well it has been 2 years now since I originally left a review. I still am very satisfied with this product. I am still on the orinal batteries that I installed. I would still repurchase this.
on October 15, 2010
I just got these for $35 at Menard's, only $20 more than the model w/o the audio. AM and FM work well for me, but then again I'm in a major metropolitan area. I read the directions but could not figure out how to use the aux input with my MP3 player. I figured it out by fiddling with it, you turn the power on at zero volume, then use the volume control on the MP3 player.

Compared to my earbuds, these are fantastic for listening to music while mowing or using the leaf blower/sucker. I can have the music at lower (safer) levels and hear the music well, and they actually stay on my ears as I'm moving around.

Sound quality is about what I expected for $35 and this type of product. It's okay, but it's not going to compare to a good set of audio head phones. Given the typical user will probably be using this with loud outdoor equipment, the sound quality is just fine.
on October 9, 2012
I have worn the Peltor 3M Worktunes headsets for years on my lawn tractor, blowing leaves, and even just as a headset that wouldn't easily fall off or catch on branches as I worked outside.
But the Peltor FM reception is terrible. So when my favorite sports talk show station switched over to FM, I had to find a different headset.
Many of the reviews on this site extolled this Stanley headset as having great FM reception, much better than on the 3M Worktunes models. One of the reviews also said the FM reception is better than the Howard Leight headset by Honeywell, although comparing pictures and features, it is evident this Stanley model is a rebranded Howard Leight model.
So today I received the Stanley model and am very impressed by the FM reception. I mowed all over my yard with no loss or dimming of reception of a hard to receive station. (This station is even hard to pick up in the house with most of my FM radios.)
The AM reception also seems clear.
The sound quality of music is very good.
The quality of fit to my ears was comfortable.(I wear a size 7 hat.)
The sound protection from the very loud mower and leaf blower was impressive, and somewhat better than the Peltor 3M headsets I have worn in the past (likely to a slightly tighter/better fit).
It is hard to figure in this day and age why there is no better tuner than a blind knob, but it did allow a station to be tuned and locked in while working.
As I just got this unit, I can't comment on long term use - hopefully it will last longer than the year or so of heavy use I got out of 3M Worktunes models. Looking at this Stanley unit however, the design of a much thicker the wire where it enters the earphones is much more heavy duty, and subject to less bending stress than on the 3M Peltor unit. So it appears to be better engineered to prevent the source of failure in all my Peltor units - the wire eventually fatiguing and breaking where it enters the ear muff from the band of the headset.
on August 16, 2012
I bought these after trying 3M WorkTunes, Peltor, Howard Leight. The whole experiment cost me way too much money but in the end I finally found something that worked! The Stanley unit has good reception, digital tuning that does not drift, and the controls are easy to use with gloves on, especially the volume control. The noise protection is very good and the muffs are comfortable enough to wear for hours without discomfort. The battery compartment is a little fussy to open and close, but on the other hand it stays shut on impact which is good. These were quite a bit more than I paid for the lower end units but only half as much as the higher end units and these worked better than any of them. I would recommend them to anyone. Be careful when you select them in the store. There is another one that Stanley makes that looks just like these. They cost less but they are not nearly as good. I was given them by accident and took them back to the store and got these. Got them at Menards. I recommend them without reservation. Like them so much my wife even got one! We cut the lawn using two mowers and each wear them while cutting. We're in the country about 35 miles from the nearest radio station and the reception is great. Very satisfied. :-)