Industrial Deals Beauty Oprah's Book Club STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Book House Cleaning _fof _fof _fof  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now toystl17_gno

• Pilot
  • Customer Reviews

Showing 1-10 of 2,442 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 4,992 reviews
on September 12, 2016
Started watching this series a couple weeks ago on Prime. I have been enjoying it and looking forward to watching the entire series. I watched Season 1 episode 14 on September 10th. I went to start episode 15 on September 11th and IT'S NO LONGER ON PRIME! It switched from PRIME to non-prime overnight with no warning. This really frustrates me. I will not buy the episodes, so hopefully this show will become Prime again soon. This is the first time I have been disappointed in Amazon. 5 stars for Fringe. 0 stars for Amazon.
on June 21, 2016
Forget about worrying if the plot is plausible or implausible. You only need to focus on two words: John Noble. Before watching this show, I didn't know of John Noble, the Australian actor who plays the "mad" scientist, among other roles. He is simply a great, mesmerizing actor, full of wit, nuance, charm, heart and intelligence. He's also a very physical actor, able to "tell" his characters with wonderfully subtle gestures and expressions. I have watched the entire series through twice, and I don't think I will ever tire of his performance.

That being said, I also liked the rest of Fringe. The actors are all good, if not great. The story lines are generally good, with maybe a tad too heavy emphasis on icky skin eruptions during the first season. The arc story is fascinating. It does improve with age. I'm not a big fan of J.J. Abrams: the L.A.-style pretty people, the schmaltz, the xian savior themes that pop up out of nowhere, the obsession with broken father-son relationships. But here, it all feels a bit more real, and the obsessions are working for the show, not against it. One of my all-time faves, and for Orphan Black fans out there, definitely one of the precursors.
on January 24, 2016
For those who like the X-Files, Fringe is also an JJ Abrams program. Starring the amazing John Noble as Dr. Walter Bishop, Joshua Jackson as his son Peter, Anna Torv as FBI agent Olivia Dunham, Lance Riddick (The Wire) as FBI Supervisor Phillip Broyles and Kirk Acevedo (Oz) as FBI agent Charlie Francis, Fringe sets up as a sanctioned division within the FBI.

John Noble's abilities to emote both verbally and nonverbally as Dr. Bishop, a former patient of an insane asylum, takes what could be a 3*-4* series to elevate it beyond what Amazon allows to grant. His work, along with great writing, is what makes this program fantastic. Season One addresses much of the background to the Fringe Division and Bishop's previous work and subsequent insanity. Winning Best Supporting Actor in a Drama Series in 2011 for the Critics Choice Awards, Noble's award was only one of many others. This is television viewing that a thinking person can sink their teeth into.

Fringe is addicting. Once past the first half dozen episodes or so, the viewer is locked.
on September 12, 2016
I just finished Season one of Fringe and LOVE IT!!!!! I am up to Season Two, Episode 8 and suddenly Amazon is charging? WTF??? Since we already have Amazon Prime, why are they now charging Prime Members for this series that was previously free? I would love to watch all five seasons but can't afford it.
on September 11, 2016
Was enjoying this show last night and this morning no longer Prime Eligible. Not cool to change it like that.
on November 19, 2015
Not for me. I watched the pilot and most of the first regular episode. I usually like speculative or other-worldly dramatic efforts, but Fringe is far behind the best of the breed. I might go back and try another dose if somebody could assure me that it picks up in later seasons, or even later episodes of season one.

I decided to catch up with this because I didn't have a chance to watch when it was running live. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have stayed with it then, either. Nothing here announces itself as appointment television.
on January 9, 2012
Just started watching this again on DVD, waiting for season 4 to resume and initiating our daughter into the show that my wife and I like so much. Had forgotten more than I realized. Wow, what a trip down memory lane! Back when you weren't certain of Massive Dynamic's motives or what shadowy things Peter was involved in. Or when Walter would suddenly stop everything to announce that he'd just peed his pants. Back when Fringe seemed more a knock off of X-Files, although I'd argue that Olivia & Peter are better than Scully & Mulder, and X-Files didn't have anything like Walter as a primary character. John Noble hams it up as Walter. His evolution over the course of the series is phenomenal and you'll only see that if you start here at Season 1. And when Walternate appears... Suffice to say that Noble deserves an Emmy nomination at least, and it's a crime that he's been overlooked.

Not a show for the squeamish and it definitely goes all-out for the ick factor at times. Watch the pilot episode and you'll get a really good glimpse of what you're in store for, although not every episode is that gory. But the show is entertaining, and the acting is above par for science fiction shows. Dialogue is witty, much like the beloved Firefly. Even my wife and daughter watch, which is very unusual for science fiction shows. And it's got Leonard Nimoy!
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 2, 2016
I think it must be worth 4 stars -- I keep wanting to watch it. Somebody who liked it before me said you have to get by the stand-alone episodes before it gets really good. But that isn't making sense to me, because I have gotten wellinto season 2 and clearly they can always stick in a stand-alone episode whenever they please. Also there was a complaint about the acting ability of the female protagonist. I don't buy that either because at the very least, she was probably picked so that just by being herself, she fits the role nicely. And if she is indeed acting differently than her normal self, then she is a fine actress. She conveys a grounded-ness that keeps me with the show even when it gets too formulaic and repetitive and let's-up-the-ratings-with-some-novel-grossness.

So I think what really keeps me coming back is a few characters who are very easy to like, and the attempt to wring every last ounce of excitement possible out of the world of science by throwing in some fun pseudo-science.
on May 27, 2016
This law enforcement/super detective/ sci-fi mix is mild entertaining, though extremely far fetched. The lead actress is very likable and carries the role well, while the other characters support her pivotal 'super FBI' role. The biggest character flaw is the part of the wacky scientist who is not believable as he is too demented and happens to know all of the 'weird' science that they encounter. There are a couple of love interests for the lead, but they do no provide the needed tension, likely as one is dead early on (and gone finally) and the other just seems to stick around for no real good reason, considering his background. This 'second' guy seems to care 'mildly' for the lead, but not really more than any of the other characters, so no tension or connection developed yet. It is also time to build the re-occurring characters (the team), to realistically make Torv's character more a part of the team, as she not so 'super' that she can do it all by herself. Can't fly:not 'superwoman'. I will likely start season 2 to see if it improves beyond mildly entertaining or whacky sci-fi or I won't last through the entire 100 episodes.
on August 15, 2015
Fringe is a two-level series, with a day-to-day mystery to solve and an underlying complex mythology. The script does a great job connecting both, always feeding into the mythological elements by drawing from the day-to-day mysteries. Many series tend to rely too much in the day-to-day case solving and that can get tiring, but this one achieves a good balance by bringing in and feeding into the mythology. Characters are very well scripted and acted, kudos to Torv, Jackson, and Noble, but also to the supporting cast. The chemistry and dynamics between Jackson and Noble is just perfect, progressing through the series as they get to know each other. This is a type of series you can enjoy if you watch a single random episode, of course you'd enjoy it much more if you knew the background. Great show!