Amazon Business Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Luxury Beauty March Birthstone Book House Cleaning _ros _ros _ros  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Paul McCartney Shop Now STEM

Flavor Name: Original Bone|Change
Price:$7.49+ Free shipping (Addon item)

Showing 1-10 of 2,233 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 2,439 reviews
on December 3, 2015
I'll keep it short; I have two 35lb pit-mix pups. They just turned a year old. They absolutely LOVE chewing these bones down... I get them the Souper bones (for the bigger dogs) because they chew like 130lb beasts.

These bones last a little over a month.. I let them whittling these down to about 30% before I take them away, because I'm paranoid about them choking / trying to swallow them whole... But for 30 days they go to town. I've never had an issue with large chucks coming off, and my vet says they're fine to treat these things like rawhide. The manufacturer makes the flavor throughout every molecule of this product; dogs are meant to get to the center of it!
review image review image review image
on September 25, 2012
I just want to see that the "Most Helpful Critical Review" is NOT what you should go off of. At the time of writing, this person claims warnings and that your dog can die. If you read your review, she states her dogs chew at these until nothing is left. For the record, the instruction manual in the packaging and common sense say that if large chunks are breaking off or the nubs on the end get too worn, then THROW IT AWAY. Not doing so can very well kill your dog, but thats because hes not using it properly. People die from ladders too, doesnt mean I'm gonna stop using it so long as I follow instructions.

On to the item itself. I love Nylabones. My Husky loves Nylabones. I usually get just the regular basic ones, but my dog is coming up on a year old, weighs 43 pounds, and chews like crazy. So I purchased the Dura-Chew Large, rated for dogs over 50 pounds. I looked at pictures, read reviews and thought "I can't wait; he'll actually be able to use it for more than a week". The item arrived, and by the next day large gashes were on one side, and the other was already bristling (it's supposed to, see my above paragraph if you don't read instructions). By the middle of the next week, I threw it out.

So I give it three stars. It's a great product, my dog loved it, and he used it. However, I certainly would not call this "Dura-Chew", nor rate it at 50 lbs+. Perhaps the weight rating is only for the size of the bone. A good product, but powerful chewers look elsewhere.
66 comments| 197 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 29, 2014
It's surprisingly hard to find a three-pack of nylabone dura-chews. They always throw in an one of the "healthy" edibles, which really don't agree with my dog's stomach. Three dura-chew nylabones, for a good price. My dog loves these things, and she goes through them surprisingly quickly. It's good to find a place where we can get them at a good price.

Edit 11/22/15: I have now bought perhaps ten packs of these nylabones. It really is the best value to get durachew bones for your dog. If your dog is a chewer like mine, you'll need to give her/him a new one relatively frequently. If you're going through two or three a month, you'll be glad you found them at this price point. And your dog probably doesn't care what flavor it is anyway -- dogs eat some pretty gross things!

My dog just looked up from gnawing on her nylabone, as if she wanted to say, "This is great. Tell them this is great."
on December 14, 2016
I have two very big chewers in my house, -a Rottweiler and a Pitbull. They destroy toys so quickly it makes my head spin! We've tried brands like kong, but even most of their toys don't last very long.
I had heard good things about Nylabones so I decided to give them a try. They last much longer then the average toys we had been purchasing. The dogs have loved every flavor we have bought and could spend all day knawing on them. We had to buy two so that the two dogs didn't have to share! They last us about 3 or 4 months, which in my opinion is very good for a dog toy if you have tough chewers.
That being said, the reason they don't last longer for us, is because they end up turning into a "shank" as my husband refers to them haha. They get pretty jagged and rough after about a week or 2 of chewing and after a couple months turn into little sharp and pointy daggers. That's when we toss them. My husband and I don't mind them when they are rough after a bit of chewing, we just try not to let them rub up against our legs with the bone, and try not to step on them... we haven't found that the toughness hurts the dogs at all but worry when it gets smaller and sharper.
In the end I would definitely recommend this toy to a serious chewer, but with reservation. I don't think it would be very safe if you had a baby or young child around. As long as there are no youngins and you are willing to watch where you step, it's a great toy! I will keep repurchasing.
on April 24, 2015
When, oh when will the Nylabone company put a stop to their dangerous plastic bones? There have been hundreds if not thousands of cases where dogs either fracture or clean break their teeth on these artificial bones. Repairing a dog's damaged teeth can be a very costly and painful procedure. Even worse, if your dog breaks off a piece of Nylabone and swallows it, this can cause blockage in the digestive system. Even small pieces of Nylabones cannot be digested, nor can they be seen with X-rays making assessment and treatment difficult and costly. Many pets have died because of this. Obviously, Nylabone Co has too much money invested in their product line to be concerned about the safety of people's dogs. With the thousands of dogs that have broken their teeth on these dangerous bones, it is a wonder they haven't been sued to the point of bankruptcy. Then again, maybe their profit margin can afford the occassional lawsuit. Amazon should do the responsible thing and remove these dangerous bones from their website. Either way, DO NOT GIVE THESE BONES TO YOUR DOG, even if you are monitoring them. It's only a matter of time before you hear the faint crack of your dog's molars crumbling in their mouths, or the gurgle of blockage in your dogs digestive system. It's just not worth the risk.

UPDATE: The more one researches the health risks of Nylabones, the clearer it becomes that this company is aware of the many injuries and pet deaths associated with their plastic bones. In fact, they often pay-off customers who's dogs have either broken their teeth or died from intestinal blockage (chunks of Nylabone in the GI tract) in order to avoid bad publicity.
on September 14, 2016
I don't know if it really have any taste but my dog loves it, she spends hours chewing the bone. As you can see in the pics that's how the bone looks after two days. I'll say it's pretty resistant. The only negative thing (that has nothing to do with the product itself) it’s that as it gets worn out, dirt starts to get into the chewed parts, and looks really dirty. If you don’t like the way I will look after a while (you can see a little of dirt in the pic), maybe this one isn’t for you, but your dog probably won’t mind, as my doesn't.
review image
on March 11, 2016
I ordered two of these for my two dogs who seem to love to chew things they shouldn't - twigs outside, the handle of my recliner, my wife's straps on her dress!

One of my dogs is flat out not interested and just leaves it there on his bed. He's never been the biggest chewer so I'm not surprised. The other loves this thing and hasn't put it down for about 30 minutes. Just non-stop chewing and he shows no signs of stopping. Therein lies the problem, I guess. In 25 minutes he's already damaged the exterior of the bone and is ripping and tearing pieces off the edge of this thing like he was born to do it. And maybe he was. Now I understand no chew is indestructible but considering I bought the "Durachew" version of this in "Souper" size (for dogs over 50 pounds) I didn't expect my 15 month old, 20 lb dog to do the damage he has. At this rate, I expect the bone won't last another two days before he starts taking off bigger chunks than I feel comfortable with.

In summary, dog loves it but he's tearing it to pieces faster than I would have expected given his tiny size and the bones "Durawchew" (for powerful chewers!) and "Souper" description.
review image review image
on December 22, 2015
These things are awesome for dog owners who let their dogs, especially large dogs with separation anxiety, free roam in their home during the work day, etc. I have 2 Dobermans. As you could imagine, they get pretty aggressive in chewing these bones. I've had mine for about 2 months and they are to the point where I'm now needing replacements to avoid my dogs swallowing pieces of plastic bone.

For $7 each, these are worth 2 months of giving my dogs something to do when they're bored vs chewing on something they shouldn't. I would say they will last at least 2 months for you unless your dog chews on them constantly. Just make sure you don't let them keep chewing on them once the bone begins to break down completely. I saw one reviewer give negative feedback because "I have an aggressive chewer and within 5 min there were teeth marks on it". Well, duh! That's what it's for! If you don't want teeth marks, get them a chunk of metal or something... which they won't want to chew on. Or maybe deer antlers. Otherwise, understand that a plastic bone is obviously going to show signs of use (yes, even after a few minutes) but these things last longer than real bones! And they don't stink!
on August 8, 2016
I don't get it, but our dogs absolutely LOVE these. I tried to take a bite out of one from the package and I could not taste any flavor, but to each their own. They sniff each others poop, so I guess they aren't picky. Keeps them busy and at it for hours. I would be careful as the bones get chewed down because you do not want to risk your larger dogs choking on the remnants of these, but for the price, just toss them and order more. We are a lifetime buyer of these Nylabones with regular repeat purchases (subscribe and save).

For reference we have a Pit/Lab mix, a Boxer, and a Min Pinscher. They all fight over these. The drop kick (Min Pin) runs the house and is a bully.
on March 4, 2014
Our 2 year old retriever/shepherd mix has loved Nylabone's products since she was a puppy.

I thought they were great; they never upset her sensitive stomach (passed harmlessly), didn't split or splinter, and I always thought they were at least soft enough to not cause dental damage. Every 6 months or so, we'd just replace it as it wore down and became gross.

Unfortunately, she just broke an incisor on one last night.

I'm pretty shocked. Her teeth are perfectly healthy. She's an active chewer, but never chews for more than 15-20 minutes several times a day.

I honestly wouldn't have believed it was the Nylabone that caused it if I hadn't seen it happen.

Your mileage may vary, but seriously consider if it's worth the vet bills.