Amazon Business Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Luxury Beauty March Birthstone Shop Popular Services GimmeDanger GimmeDanger GimmeDanger  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Elton John Tackle Any Terrain with Cycling on Amazon STEM

Format: Blu-ray|Change

Showing 1-10 of 1,074 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 1,228 reviews
on December 4, 2008
I just ordered my DVD but my original thoughts were blogged on July 18, and they still stand; well, of course:

Whether you are or aren't an acolyte of Joss Whedon, do yourself a favor and view this 45-minute serial TV show made for the Internet (and now on DVD).

This was an experiment devised by Whedon, two of his brothers, a writer friend of theirs, and countless others who contributed, during the fairly recent (now months ago) WGA strike. The artists on this project basically worked for free, with Joss Whedon and a few others ponying up the funds.

Dr. Horrible is the tale of a mad scientist (Neil Patrick Harris), would-be villain who wants with his entire being to be part of the Evil League of Evil, run by an Uber-Villain Overlord named Bad Horse. Why? He's in love with a girl named Penny, who he's afraid to talk to but wants to rule the world with. She in turn falls for a big lug with half a brain called Captain Hammer. Hammer and Dr. H have a hate-hate relationship, mostly because Hammer keeps giving him beatings and messing up his plans for world domination.

Did I mention it's a musical? The whole thing is brilliantly devised; archetypes of villains and heroes turned on their head, a sweet young thing who is their innocent catalyst for change, and a tuneful score which harks to musical theatre influences ... some Bernstein, some Schwartz, with emphasis on Sondheim. Whedon and his co-writers obviously love language and know how to use it to warp the woof of an oft-told tale; good vs. evil. But just who is good and who is evil? And for whom will you weep when the story is through?

Write and tell me. I'd like to know what you thought.

On the surface, looking at photos, reading synopses here and there, you might be fooled that this is just a trifle, a silly confection. Those unfamiliar with Whedon's previous artistic outings are in for a surprise. The ending is being hotly debated even as I write this. There's a lot for everyone here; musical enthusiasts to comic-book fans, to dramaturgs.

Watch how well the tone shifts from Act to Act, with the music supporting all the action. Act I is the honeymoon, Act II the divorce, and Act III "the great black pit" in more ways than one.

Neil Patrick Harris is a star - if that wasn't already clear. His singing and acting runs the gamut from sweetly hopeful, to sarcastic, to morose, to black outrage and despair. If Act III doesn't prove that you can become hollowed out through your own mistaken desires, nothing will.

Nathan Fillion plays the "Hero," Captain Hammer. I don't want to give too much away if you haven't seen it yet, but let's just say his performance is the perfect capital P for pompous. I'm not surprised he delivers on the singing - a very talented man who is not afraid to spoof his own image as someone who is adored, but in a totally obnoxious way. He's equal parts lecherous Judge Turpin from Sweeney Todd and Judd Frye from Oklahoma. Not easy to pull off.

Felicia Day (who has her own show The Guild on the Internet Highway) plays Penny, the innocent ingenue who tries to stay positive in a wicked, bad world. Tries to make a difference despite indifference. Day is competent, sweet and smart in a role that doesn't give her much to do. It felt as though she really had to pull back her own personality to make it fit within the confines of a role that doesn't change or grow. But she is there for a definite purpose.

How we could be taken on this journey in such a short series. I'm a believer that all things are possible. Especially when there's Whedons involved.
on October 15, 2016
I first watched Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog on Netflix. I'm not really sure why I selected it to watch; maybe it's because I love Neil Patrick Harris in his role as Barney Stinson of How I Met Your Mother...But I watched it, not really knowing what to expect. AND I LOVED IT!!! I swear I watched it every single day for a while...That is, until Netflix took it off. I was so bummed!

For one reason or another, I never bought the actual Blu-ray. I ended up buying the soundtrack on iTunes, which satiated my love for the movie's music. However, the soundtrack only contains the actual songs, of course. While Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog is primarily music, I missed the dialog of Dr. Horrible's daily blogs and his banter with Captain Hammer.

So I finally caved in and bought the Blu-ray. And I am so glad I did because this movie is AWESOME! Like I said before, it's primarily a musical. But even people who don't like musicals will LOVE it! My husband isn't too fond of musicals; the only one that he actually likes is Little Shop of Horrors: The Director's Cut + Theatrical (BD) [Blu-ray]. But he LOVED Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog!! And he doesn't mind watching it over and over again because the songs are great and it is hilarious!

The storyline is great, the comedy is witty...I even enjoyed watching the behind the scenes included with this Blu-ray.

You really must buy this and watch it. It is simply amazing! Now I just have to wait impatiently for Joss Whedon to make a sequel!
on November 29, 2008
"Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog" tells an incredible story of an aspiring villain... who blogs and sings. In this backwards world, the villain is the hero, and the hero is the villain. But which one will get the girl? If you're a fan of "Sweeney Todd," you'll love this movie. The acting is impeccable, and the music is flawless. Not a scene, not a song, not a word is out of place. This is a story you won't want to miss.

The fact that this DVD has two commentaries -- a typical filmmaker's commentary and, appropriately so, a musical commentary -- is unique in and of itself. The fact that it's the same stellar crew that put together the Sing-Along blog itself guarantees brilliance. The other special features, such as the "making of" videos, are horribly satisfying. I fell in love with the project all over again.
77 comments| 128 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 6, 2009
Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog is a musical about an aspiring super villain applying for a position in the Evil League of Evil. One might think this sounds like a childish premise, but Joss Whedon, et al, pull it off. The music and storyline are alternately extra cheesy and genuinely touching. It's an emotional stew, indeed, and Neal Patrick Harris is perfect for the role of Dr. Horrible. He's goofy, but he also honestly wants to be taken seriously as an evil genius. Better yet, Harris can sing, and he knows when it's right to be cheesy and right to be melodramatic. But Harris doesn't entirely carry the show. Nathan Fillion is superb as the superhero Captain Hammer, and Felicia Day is wonderful as Penny, Dr. Horrible's love interest.

The DVD features are great. You get all episodes of the main feature, plus two commentaries, one of which is a separate musical. There's the obligatory making of the movie and composing of the music, and there's also a nice collection of Evil League of Evil "application" videos made by fans of the show.

Not since Whedon's Firefly series have I seen something so anti-television as Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog. Even if you haven't liked Whedon's past work, and if you like How I Met Your Mother even remotely, you will love Neal Patrick Harris in this show. Dr. Horrible is refreshing and intelligent, and it has a kind of reexamination of the imaginative spirit of comic books and musicals. American culture hasn't forgotten to read its comic books (i.e., the recent Spider-man, X-men, and Batman movies), but we have forgotten the place of the musical (Southpark: The Musical notwithstanding) in our society. Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog brings the musical back, challenges it to a duel, and wins everyone over.
on January 22, 2009
If you are a fan of Joss Whedon, Nathan Fillion, Neil Patrick Harris, and/or Felicia Day, or have no clue who they are you still need to buy this DVD. If you are a fan of thought provoking issues wrapped in fun music, witty/irreverant humor, singable songs and never ending sight gags you REALLY need to own this. I love it so much I bought the DVD even though I already have the download from ITunes. The bonus features are beyond shiney.

If you believe that creative people need outlets other than those controlled by a few Network executives you REALLY REALLY need to buy this DVD. It was an experiment by the Whedon group to see if direct download/internet and DVD access are economically feasible. Let's show them it is.
on October 22, 2009
Joss Whedon does it again (and I imagine he knows it and had already complimented himself immensely)with Dr. Horrible's Singalong Blog. Neil Patrick Harris is awesome, and a very good singer, and Nathan Fillion is also surprisingly good. Having never heard him sing, I was skeptical, but he proved that he's not only a talented (and gorgeous) actor, but can carry a tune. Too bad the Buffy the Vampire Slayer Musical didn't have him in it.
on March 5, 2017
Watched this right when it came out on the internet and then had to get the blu-ray when I got my new projector. Still waiting (hoping) for the sequel to come out one day.
on March 25, 2017
Great film, no issues with the quality of the DVD itself
on May 31, 2016
I showed this to my sister and she did not like it. I will never, EVER be able to trust her again.
on March 10, 2017
To get into the evil league of evil.