Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Foreign Affairs
Amazon Vehicles Back to School Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Florida Georgia Line Water Sports

Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:$29.88

on May 6, 2010
I would love to get this for my Kindle, but you do not get access to the online archives. Which as a masters student is ideal (but so is the portability of the Kindle). What to do?

I have contacted customer service at both Amazon and FA magazine and both responded quickly with the fact that you do not get archive access with the Kindle (yet we pay $24 per year) which is $6 more than the student subscription, which I would gladly pay for the convenience and portability. But without archive access needless to say that I will not be going with the Kindle subscription. I like the Kindle and I like FA magazine, but this product does not meet expectations.

If you are really interested in this capability contact FA magazine and Amazon, maybe if enough people showed interest they would adjust. Please note I am not giving FA magazine a one star, just the Kindle version.
2525 comments| 201 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 28, 2011
Foreign Affairs is a good and important journal, we all know that. My review here is of the Kindle format--the product sold on this page.

The Kindle format itself is very nice. I purchased Foreign Affairs for the Kindle because of the convenience and quality of the format, even though I can access the content through other sources to which my workplace subscribes.

However, I ended up cancelling due to two extremely annoying issues with this subscription:
1. Issues are not available on the Kindle until well after they actually come out. Today, December 28, the Jan/Feb edition has been out for two weeks and is available in many other sources (EBSCO, ProQuest, Factiva), and is already referenced in articles all over the place. But it is not yet on the Kindle.
2. Despite costing only $8 less than the digital subscription on the Foreign Affairs website, which provides full access to archives, the Kindle subscription offers no option to upgrade and get access to archives.

Given that I can access the content of Foreign Affairs through other sources, the only reason for me to pay for this subscription is to get the Kindle format. However, the late delivery and inability to access archives in Kindle (or even PDF) format greatly reduces the value of the subscription.

Overall, it is a good product but managed poorly; for me, the managemenent issues outweight the good product, so I give it two stars. If you want to read only new editions in Kindle format and don't care when they make their way to your Kindle, go for it.
on May 25, 2010
Foreign Affairs is an influential magazine on national security and I enjoy my subscription. Although the inconvenience of accumulating stacks of paper issues deterred me from subscribing, I was delighted to find it available on Kindle. I simply save every issue now and can access them without more clutter at home.

The reason I give this 4 stars though instead of 5 is because of the publisher's support for Kindle users. For one thing, they give print subscribers access to content on their website but not Kindle subscribers. I have been trying to argue with them on this point but I don't get the sense they value Kindle subscribers as highly. Also, right before the Kindle edition came out, I e-mailed customer service and asked if they could publish in Kindle, and they said they had no plans to do so. (Meaning customer service was completely out of the loop.)
on June 18, 2009
I subscribed to Foreign Affairs back in the 70s and really enjoyed it-the content was great. Even though I stopped my subscription, I still would buy an occasional issue. Given that its emphasis is on the written word and it contains no pictures of Paris Hilton, it was frequently hard to find on the magazine racks.

I was thrilled to see this offered as a Kindle subscription. What a perfect match! I have subscribed and am pleased to see that FA is as great as I remember.
on June 19, 2009
Foreign Affairs is a bi-monthly publication of the Council on Foreign Relations and represents one of the most influential journals of international relations and diplomacy in print today.

Each print issue is nearly 200 pages long and is packed with insightful articles on all of the most important issues affecting the world today. Some of the most significant foreign policies of the United States have been articulated within its pages, written by the most influential political figures of the day. Colin Powell, Henry Kissinger, James A. Baker, III, to name a few, have all been published in this journal.

It is an excellent choice for publication on the Kindle both because of the calibre of the content and the nature of the material presented -- this is not a magazine with pretty, glossy pictures in it.

Finally, at a price of only 1.99 a month, it simply cannot be beat. Order today, and enjoy a whole new level of understanding of the world around you.
77 comments| 32 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 26, 2010
I have been a subscriber to Foreign Affairs (printed edition) since 1984. This is a very informative magazine with content submitted by very knowledgeable contributors. I highly recommend the magazine.

But, as Gregory Gilderman noted in his review, the articles in the Kindle version did not contain a biography of the authors of the articles. I agreed with Gregory, the Kindle version was lacking in comparison to the print version without the author bio information. So, I contacted Amazon Customer Support informing them of this problem and requested that they correct the omission.

They have informed me that they contacted Foreign Affairs and the Author Biography information will be included with the next issue (May-June, 2010) of Foreign Affairs.

Three cheers for the Amazon customer support section. The addition of this important information will now make the Kindle version every bit as informative as the print version.

So, to all of you who also missed this important author biography information, enjoy the next issue.

Great job by the Amazon customer support section. Thank you.
on February 9, 2012
Seems better to get the FA subscription on the site. Get the access to the full archive, download the pdf's and convert them in Calibre if you want to read them on Kindle or iBook formats.
on August 17, 2009
I've been reading Foreign Affairs for a while now. I got a Kindle not that long ago, and decided to try the Kindle version. It contained every article, essay, letter to the editor, etc. that the print edition had. The organization and layout is well done. And, as a nice added bonus, it's about half the price of subscribing to the print edition, and it has no ads! I'm very happy with the Kindle edition of Foreign Affairs.
on January 19, 2012
I just cancelled my subscription because of the lack of archive access. I enjoy the magazine itself, but the lack of the archive access is a deal killer for me.
on July 6, 2010
I've been criticised before for giving a low star rating to items that are inherently good (like Foreign Affairs) but only to make a point about price. But I see no other way to do it. I have an issue with the Kindle price of this item.

A hard copy subscription in the USA is 32.00

A kindle subscription is 47.88

As John McEnroe was famous for saying: You cannot be serious.
66 comments| 38 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse