Your Garage Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Limited time offer Grocery Handmade Mother's Day Gifts hgg17 Book House Cleaning animespring animespring animespring  Introducing Echo Look Starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch Shop Now disgotg_gno_17

Showing 1-10 of 1,504 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 1,623 reviews
on December 8, 2009
At my house, the bread knife gets used every single day, by every member of the family. It gets hammered.

This thing was under ten bucks, cuts through even hard crusty bread like a laser, leaves very few crumbs on the cutting board, and still cuts like a champ a year later.

When it dulls, if I can't sharpen it using a pull-through sharpener (had a little success with this so far) then I'll just buy another just like it. Your serrated, bread-type knives, should be just like this one. Cheap to replace because sharpening them is just a pain, able to hold a good edge for their purpose, easy to clean, and high performance in their intended job. The Kai reverse-scallop edge on this knife is as close to perfect in this price class as I could find.

The only change I'd make is to make it an inch longer and charge a dollar more. You can still cut the big loaves with this, but you'll wish your blade were longer. A small price to pay.

Best bread knife anywhere. Sits proudly in the block with my Shuns, which get professionally sharpened on a regular basis.

You can buy a Shun or Global bread knife, and they are insanely great. But you'll regret the cost when they need sharpening. This knife uses the Shun bread knife edge, has good quality steel, and is easily cleaned with its nonstick coating. I have two Pure Komachi knives, this one and the sandwich knife with the same edge style. I depend on both. The rest of my knives are full-on Global and Shun, and I recommend them just as highly.

Sometimes the best knife is expensive, sometimes the best knife is inexpensive. In this case, I go with the inexpensive one.

Try it--it's only a few bucks and you'll probably love it as much as I do.
88 comments| 95 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
This Komachi Kai Nakiri knife was my Christmas gift to myself (one of them!) as it was selling for a slight discount. I already had a Komachi 2 set purchased from Costco and wanted to add this Nakiri knife as I slice a lot of vegetables and it's very useful for that.

I use the Santoku knife (see Fuschia knife in the uploaded pic) for mincing and chopping herbs as a rocking motion is needed. For slicing onions and other vegetables a Nakiri is great, especially if you're making stir fry - Thai, Indian, Japanese or Chinese cuisines.

This knife is very sharp, the rectangular blunt shape makes it light and the right design for slicing which is a up and down motion rather than a rocking motion.

I love my Komachi knives, the colors are fun but the coating also helps prevent rusting. They're easy to clean in the dishwasher but mostly I just rinse and wipe and resheath. The included color coordinated sheaths helps keep hands safe whether you store them in drawer, or put them on the wall on a magnetic strip like I've done. It also makes it easier to take with you, as I sometimes take them camping or on vacation. They're light and sharp and handles are ergonomic and best of all they're available at very decent prices as a set.

This Nakiri knife was not included in any set I've seen so it had to be purchased separately. One month of usage later, I am very happy with it's performance. It's become my most used knife as I am always slicing onions, peppers, mushrooms or cucumbers. I also use the mandoline but that makes the veggies too thin for grilling or stir frying so this is a really useful knife.

After 5-6 months of every day usage you will probably need to sharpen and 1-2 swipes of a Accusharp Knife sharpener (also on Amazon) will do the trick.
review image
on May 24, 2016
Very sharp!!!! Be careful, it will hurt.

I like the flat square blade design of the Nakiri knife. Does well mincing and chopping herbs and garlic etc. The plastic case however makes me very nervous. It fits extremely tight and I dislike shoving a knife into a plastic sheath I am holding in my hand. I always envision it slipping and cutting me. However, I will never have to worry about the knife falling out of the sheath. Very nice if you travel with it or transport it anywhere.

I will say my wife was at Costco and she found a set of 7 of this same brand for about $24, a various assortment. I told her to buy them. Even though the price was technically cheaper there, I still use this one more than any other knife in that set.

edit: almost a year ago I bought this knife. It's still the go to knife I use for every thing. I have a small ceramic rod I use to hone the edge and it's still sharp
on December 30, 2015
The shape of the blade is good, and it's sharp (because it's brand new), but this isn't a good knife. The "FDA-approved" non-stick resin coating (or "liquid color coating" as the packaging says) does work. If you've ever been cutting potatoes into cubes, and had them keep sticking to your blade, that won't happen with this knife. At least, while the mystery coating lasts. The packaging never said what it's made of. You have to be very careful when cleaning the blade. Don't use anything abrasive if you want to prevent the coating from flaking off. Hand wash with a rag. That's how I wash my knives anyway, but just be warned you have to take care to keep the coating on the blade. They also recommend not using this for cutting frozen food. So the non-stick coating is good, but just like the Teflon coating in non-stick pots and skillets, it will eventually flake off. The handle is comfortable, but a bit small and too lightweight. The handle needs to be longer and heavier. I like the 8" blade's size and shape, but that's about it. I would look at other knives.
review image
on July 2, 2011
I bought this knife over a year ago, and it is still running strong. Don't let the low price fool you, this is a very well made knife.
I am a baker and bake almost every day. From super soft white sandwich bread to uber-crusty sourdough boules, this knife has taken them all on. It's also my favorite for watermelon. I also like the wavy serrations. I was not sure I would as the knife this replaced had a very aggressive serration but it works very well, Just remember to let the knife do the work. If you force it the results will not be as good.
The finish is durable and has not worn or chipped. I toss it in the dishwasher when it needs it, hand dry and store in a knife block.
The bright colored handle makes it easy to find as well. No more pulling knives from the block to see it its the one I want.
Speaking of the handle, It has a great fit to your hand, just enough tactile give to make it feel secure in your grasp.
I have purchased other knives from this maker and have no problems with them either.
review image review image review image
on March 9, 2010
We received a Shun santoku and this fuschia-colored Komachi last Christmas. The Shun is fantastic, but this knife gets used just as much. For some things, like cheese, fruitcake and other sticky foods, the Komachi is much better - slices thinly and cheese doesn't cling. It's lightweight and easy to control. We now have a few knives in the Komachi line and just love them (especially the bread knife) in spite of also owning and using the high-end Shun knives. At first, the bright colors of the Komachi were somewhat off-putting, but once we started using them we found them to be great, supersharp knives and there's no picking through the rack to find what one is looking for!
on February 28, 2011
My hubby and I are great cheese fans, and we seem to favor particularly hard and crumbly cheeses... the kind of cheese that destroys wire cheese cutters. That's a lesson you learn the hard way. The 4" tomato/cheese knife cuts such cheese as though it were butter.

Kitchen knives are one of those things: you can basically spend as much as you want on them. However, sometimes spending more money doesn't guarantee you a better product. As always, do your research! I had been needing new kitchen knives for some time, and after researching the various brands out there, I determined that the Pure Komachi series were the best value for me. They are easy to purchase a la carte, which was a big selling point for me. I've had knife sets before, and I find that there are quite a few knives in the set I never use. Buying just the knives you will actually use is a good way to save a little money. I also really like that they are colorful. In addition to giving my kitchen a pretty splash of color (I have a magnetic knife bar, so the knives hang on the wall instead of being jammed in a drawer or knife block, which can dull the blades), the color also serves a useful purpose, by helping you avoid cross-contamination (for example, I always use the pink chef's knife for raw meat).

All in all, a good buy. To be fair, I'm sure you could probably use another reasonably sharp knife with great success on tomatoes and cheese. One downside I see to this knife is that it is only 4", and I've seen some whopping great tomatoes that this knife would be too small to slice. If you're being thrifty and strictly buying only the most basic, essential knives, you could probably skip this tomato/cheese knife and stick with the Pure Komachi 2 Series 6-Inch Serrated Multi-Utility Knife, since I think you'd probably get more mileage out of that one. That said, this knife really does a great job slicing tomatoes and cheese!
on April 6, 2012
One of my co-workers had used these Pure Komachi knives, and he highly recommends it so I gave it a try. Don't let the price fool you into thinking that this knife is no good cuz it is so cheap! It is incredibly SHARP and LIGHT which is perfect for day to day cooking. My hand won't feel tired even using it for cutting for a while. I love the different colors too as they add color to the kitchen. We have bought more expensive knives before, and they were not even as sharp as this Komachi. For $10 bucks, this knife is definitely an A+. The only problem is that you can't sharpen it when it does get dull as doing it yourself will ruin the color coating. So you will need to ship it back to the manufacturer to sharpen it. It is not a concern to me cuz most of the Komachi knives are inexpensive, I can buy another one to replace the dull one. Cost of shipping it back to manufacturer probably won't save you much money (shipping cost vs. buying a new one).

Highly recommend it!
on December 8, 2010
I bought one of these knives 6 months ago as a joke to get me over the limit for free shipping on.
To my shock, it is not a joke, but a great performing chef's knife. I've used it for slicing,dicing and chopping veggies and herbs. It holds its edge and is well balanced. I've also used it for cutting beef for stew meat and slicing roast beef.

It's a thin blade so don't try cutting frozen meat and such with it.

I just bought 3 more of these knives for stocking stuffers for our married kids. I think they'll enjoy there pink knives too

3 Year Update
It's been 3 years and its still in daily use with only a couple scratches. It takes a steel about once a week to keep it chopping and slicing great. A sharpening about every 6 mo. to restores the edge. I only cut on wood or the cheap plastic cutting mats, so my blades don't get rough treatment, but they get used.
on November 9, 2012
I bought a smaller santuko knife of this brand at TJ Maxx for like 3 bucks, not expecting much. Got it home and LOVED it so much I checked out Amazon for other knives by this company. I got the 8" Chef's knife and it is great...It is light weight and extremely sharp and seems to keep its edge. I took mine to work because it is lighter than the ones that we have at work and I missed having it at home so I bought another one for home. Great price for a great knife.