Shop Auto Winter Products Beauty Best Kids Books of the Year Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc New album by morrisey PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Try it first with samples Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video  Three new members of the Echo family Save $50 on All-New Fire HD 10. Limited-time offer. $30 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on December 1, 2013
First off, it's one of my favorite animated Disney short films that I grew up with. Plus, this year is when Mickey's Christmas Carol turned 30 this year. Yippee! And of course, the main character, Scrooge McDuck as Ebenezer Scrooge (voiced by Alan Young).

Now, there are 4 cartoons in this collection; Mickey's Christmas Carol, Small One, Pluto's Christmas Tree, and Santa's Workshop.

All right, Mickey's Christmas Carol: As you see, it's based on Charles Dickens' A Christmas Carol, and there are familiar faces throughout the movie. Mickey Mouse as Bob Crachit (voiced by Wayne Allwine), Donald Duck as Fred Scrooge (voiced by the late Clarence Nash), and I don't remember the voices of the rest of other characters, but I can call them out. Ratty and Moley as Collectors for the Poor from The Wind in the Willows, Goofy as Jacob Marley, Jiminy Cricket from Pinocchio as Ghost of Christmas Past, Daisy Duck as Isabella, Willie the Giant from Mickey and the Beanstalk as Ghost of Christmas Present, Minnie Mouse and family as Mrs. Crachit and children (incl. Tiny Tim), and Pete as Ghost of the Future (scary!).

Next, Small One: Basically, Small One was taken place before the Nativity story. You'll understand that in the ending.

And finally, two more cartoons: Pluto's Christmas Tree is when Mickey gets a tree in the beginning. Later on, Chip & Dale were inside of the Christmas tree. Pluto makes fail attempts to get them. In the end, Mickey found out why Pluto was acting weird. Of course, one of the chipmunks placed the Do Not Open 'til Christmas sticker on Pluto's mouth, just to stop his singing. For Santa's Workshop, it's one of those Silly Symphony. You can guess what it's about...Santa Claus and his little helpers are preparing for Christmas celebration.

If you love the Disney Classics collection, this is a must-see short films.

Merry Christmas 2013!
on January 15, 2013
After reading several of the reviews here, I purchased this one. I'd planned it, anyway, since last Christmas (each year my wife and I purchase a few more Christmas dvds). All I can say is that this was not my most exceptional purchase. It appears that the reviewers here are looking at this one through rose-colored glasses. Now, we own 'A Charlie Brown Christmas' (on the Peanuts 1960s Collection), all the important Rankin/Bass ('Rudolph', 'Santa Claus is Comin to Town', 'Frosty', etc) and 'Mr Magoo's Christmas Carol' (all on 'The Original Christmas Classics'), 'It's a Wonderful Life', 'Little Women' (1994 version), 'Dr Seuss' How the Grinch Stole Christmas', 'A Christmas Story', etc ... but they are all good on their own level. This one, however, is simply for those who grew up with it and have fond memories, for memories are all that could push this one forward.
on June 30, 2013
I show this to my students every year before our field trip to TUTS to see "Scrooge" (the live, kid oriented, musical version of "A Christmas Carol"). They are able to relate to the familiar Disney characters and therefore quickly understand the story line. Perfect for all ages. ***Look to see how many fingers Jacob Marley (aka Goofy) holds up when he delivers the line, "Tonight you will be visited by THREE spirits!"
on January 31, 2013
Love this DVD for my 2 yr old son. There are only 4 cartoons on it, but the price is not too high so it is okay for the price. I was looking for the cartoon with Santa coming into someone's house and all the toys get ready and make the tree. You know, the one where Santa puts the baseball bat in the little boy's looooong stocking and laughs out loud? This DVD has "Santa's workshop" and I was hoping that cartoon was an extension to it. It's not. So, I still don't have my favorite Santa cartoon. But my son loved this DVD nonetheless. He was really into Small One too, it takes in Bethlehem so it has a little religious undertone (the donkey is bought by Joseph for his wife Mary to ride into Bethlehem). A great transition to talk to your child about Jesus if you are religious, and it's a very,very subtle undertone if you are not.
on January 17, 2010
AUTHOR'S NOTE: While this package consists of several animated shorts, I will be reviewing the featured short, "Mickey's Christmas Carol." Spoilers will follow.

REVIEW

This is a very good creative adaptation of the Dickens story. Featuring the voice talents of Alan Young, Wayne Allwine and Hal Smith, among others, this film hearkens to the golden age of the 1930's for animated short film.

Necessarily shortening and simplifying Dickens' novel and its language, it nevertheless retains a glimmering intelligence and understated sophistication. Additionally, the soundtrack is superb, especially the opening number "Oh, What A Merry Christmas Day." The roles of Dickens' ghosts are fulfilled by Disney characters, and for the most part I cannot complain. Even Goofy as Jacob Marley fits because the creative staff retain the basic original plotline which Dickens created for his character. This treatment also pleasantly undercuts the harder edge of the Marley character by injecting skillful humor into key moments. The only character choice for a ghost I did not like at all was Willie the Giant from "Mickey and the Beanstalk." That character is just too overbearing and lacking in the stateliness I've associated with The Ghost of Christmas Present for all of my life. A very abbreviated appearance by The Ghost of Christmas Yet To Come, here called The Ghost of Christmas Future, is fittingly bleak and may provide the biggest scare of the movie for very young children. That moment of the film is so brief, though, that after a hiccup, it's over.

Featuring fairly early animation by the great Glen Keane and even John Lasseter, the current head of Pixar, "Mickey's Christmas Carol" is a classic animated short film of Dickens' classic novel and stands the test of time beautifully.
22 comments|Report abuse
on March 4, 2013
"The Small One", unfortunately, still remains altered. (The "Clink Clank" song has still been changed to "We work a little harder if we must" from the original "We simply cheat a little if we must".) Come on, Disney, re-release this classic in its true form, at least on another Treasures Collection!
4 helpful votes
on April 1, 2011
Bought this mainly for the Mickey Mouse Christmas Carols which is one of my favorite renditions of the movie. I do love the Christmas Carol on this one, it was bit shorter then I remember as a kid. There are three other movies on here for my boy to enjoy too which is great. I like the story with Pluto and the Christmas as my second favorite. The story with the donkey seems a bit said at first but it has a great message and my son really likes that one as well. The last one is Santa's workshop movie and he has is into santa right now so he loves seeing Santa make the toys with the elfs. All in a great purchase to add for Christmas favorites. And we continue to get it out after Christmas to watch every now and then as well :)
4 helpful votes
on December 8, 2013
This one combines a literary classic with classic-style Disney animation - how can you lose. It is a one-hour adaptation of Dickens Christmas classic, with familiar Disney characters playing all the familiar parts. For me, however, I could watch the whole production just to see the animation backgrounds; they form a homage to Disney's "Grand Ol' Men" who put together Pinocchio and Snow White. The backgrounds of early-nineteenth-century London are just amazing. This one's worth your money.
on October 14, 2017
Great movie
on January 23, 2017
This is a compilation of 3 stories. Mickey's Christmas Carol, and two other very nice Christmas stories. I love that it's the original 1980's version that kept my own children watching it over and over. Now my grandson does the same thing! I highly recommend this dvd!