Shop Auto Winter Products Salon Beauty Best Books of the Year Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. STEM Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video  Three new members of the Echo family Save $50 on All-New Fire HD 10. Limited-time offer. $30 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

Lungs [Vinyl]
Format: Vinyl|Change

on October 28, 2016
Flo is all new to me, even with this Lungs being 2009. Just got this Lungs in Oct 2016 here on Amazon. Impressive by any standard. Florence really is amazing. A very different type of music, and vocal ability too. My brother just cannot appreciate this cd at all, but you really gotta listen to it carefully, over the course of a week, Cosmic Love is outstanding, but this cd does not have some great songs of hers (breaking down, breath of life, and "heavy... " . Outstanding quality of her musicians, and mixers behind the music on the boards. Backup vocals are good, but are pale only because of her vocal power. Highly recommend this anyone even thinking of Flo. I put this cd off for about 3 years, and wish I had not waited. I am getting her 2 cd pack, the digipak at about $19 here, which has many more of her newer, really good songs. Enjoy!!! She is all Brit, and really amazing. Queen of England: Florence Welch.
0Comment|Report abuse
Florence Welch has the voice of a goddess with a little Grace Slick mixed in. Harps, big bass drums, and an occasional orchestral string section are not the typical instruments in the music I normally indulge. I honestly have no idea why I decided to even listen to this as it is not my typical style of listening. Once I did I was hooked. Now I am a fan of Florence + The Machine and hope they continue to put out work as brilliant as this.
on January 6, 2015
I purchase this CD because of wandering through F+M YouTube videos.
Her voice is sometimes soothing and may, at other times be an octave too high for some.
The CD quality is not the best. Maybe engineering or compression issues. I would like to hear this as a FLAC file.

I have a wide variety in my taste in music, & enjoyed most of the songs.
A lot of the melodies were haunting, (some call it 'dark'). I thought the rest of the band are a good compliment to Florence's unique style. The songs vary in their type. Some are calm, others invigorating.
I think she is an artist that is better live, because the CD can't capture her stage presence.

As Neil Young has said; "Live music's better. Bumper stickers should be issued"!
on April 20, 2011
I usually stick to book reviews, but Lungs is such a strong album that it deserves all the praise it can get. As debuts go, I'd rate it up there with those of Tori Amos and Tracy Chapman. (Though in fairness to Amos, the starkly personal nature of her lyrics in Little Earthquakes would give it a slight edge over Lungs.) The lyrics are poetic, and the music is energetic and gripping--a blend of Amos, Sarah MacLachlan, and Kate Bush, all seemingly fired up on a six-pack of Red Bull.

There isn't a weak track on this album, though the blazing gems of "Dog Days Are Over"; "Rabbit Heart"; "Drumming Song"; and "Cosmic Love" stand out. The only thing missing would be a ballad suitable for slow dancing in the dark, though arguably that would be inconsistent with the album's energy level.

All in all, this is a great one for almost anything--a gray day in the office or an open sunswept highway. I'm hooked. 4-1/2 pulsing white-hot stars.
11 comment|Report abuse
on November 11, 2017
I have listened to this several times hoping to get acclimated to her vocal/musical stylings but it just isn't happening for me. My overall impression is that she's a wannabe Kate Bush? Maybe not but that's my impression anyway. I LOVE Kate Bush but Florence and the Machine is not my cup of tea, sorry.
on September 23, 2017
I discovered Florence and the Machine by accident and have loved every song I've heard from them. Lyrical, beautifully crafted songs, as up tempo rock. Florence has a distinctive voice that I enjoy. The lyrics are always interesting, too.
on September 11, 2017
Great album, good sound on vinyl. Only problem is the vinyl sleeve (I don't know the right word, the cardboard album cover that holds the record) doesn't hold the record snugly. When closed, the record can slip out if you tilt. it
on April 14, 2012
I have the Deluxe version because I love Flo that much. Her voice opens all sails and takes you away on her journey. Her voice has incredible range and The Machine provide incredible back up to her vocals. Harps seem rare nowadays in songs, but take a song like "Cosmic Love" the creativity of the lyrics sung by her powerful voice is aided into captivating the listener with the impressive instruments by the band. It's not just "Cosmic Love" it's every song booming with drums and the harmonious harp. "You've Got the Love" is a cover and it's better than the original by a long shot. Florence + The Machine deserves a listen to every song at least once.
on April 7, 2016
Love Florence! I collect and play Vinyl, I've wanted this album for a while, but when my fiance's birthday was approaching (she is a bigger florence fan than I) I decided to give this album to her as a birthday gift (win win for me), well she was super happy, we threw it on the turntable immediately, as good as Florence sounds on the radio, her voice was nearly haunting coming off of the Vinyl! Get this album, you wont be sorry.
on November 3, 2010
It is rare to find an album in which every song speaks to you. Rarer still, that each song speaks to a different part of you. Florence + the Machine's eclectic style is seen in each song. "The Drumming Song" is a progressively exciting song, while "My Boy Builds Coffins" is a new take on a seemingly mundane subject (and quite deep, I might add). Her voice lends well to the melodic music, but the use of instruments and background vocals adds to the depth of sound. For artists of all types looking for an inspirational atmosphere, playing Florence would do the trick. Her songs have a way of dragging you into them and letting you frolic through the notes without knowing you are there. I often find myself disappointed as the last note of a song plays only to be rejuvenated when the next one begins. They are by far one of the most overlooked talents in recent times. While finding comfort in a small following, the band re-released the album into a more accepting public and now find themselves growing in popularity. Another release of the album comes in December 2010 with a special edition containing songs from this version as well as ones never before heard. They also are planning on making an appearance on SNL in November 2010. It is my hope that they will maintain their eclectic feel while finding great success in their new found popularity. For anyone wanting a different sound in their ears, this is the album/band to do it. My hats off to Florence.
3 helpful votes