Truck Reviews Beauty Warlight Men's slip on sneakers nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Electronics Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Shop by look Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Echo Dot Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now SWMTVT18_gno

Metroid: Other M
Format: Video Game|Change

on August 15, 2017
Metroid: Other M is a fun action-adventure game, but just a bad metroid game. The exploration aspect of metroid is completely absent from this entry and the intense moments from other entries are not in this game. For example, in every other metroid game you would have great tense moments where your low on health and need to fight to gain it back, but in Other M all you do is replenish your energy and ammo by pressing a button. This game has a horrendous story, it almost ruins Samus as a character. Despite being a terrible metroid game, the game is actually a pretty fun action-adventure game. I had lots of fun with the combat and there were some truly epic boss battles. The controls hold the combat back, since they are not very good. First person mode is executed poorly, and the regular combat is limited to only two buttons which makes the combat get boring after a while. The game is also incredibly easy, and as you may know metroid games are typically very challenging. Overall, this game makes for a terrible entry in the metroid franchise, and I would not reccomend it to any metroid fan. If you're new to the series or want a good action-adventure game then this would be a pretty good game for you.
on January 22, 2018
Oh man, how I wanted to love this game. I've been a huge fan of the Metroid franchise for as long as I can remember, and Metroid Fusion has a special place in my heart since it recaptured a lot of the raw fun game mechanics of Super Metroid but it was the first (and only) game in the franchise to include any real story (and the telling of that story was amazing!). I was excited to hear the prequel of these characters from Metroid Fusion.

...and instead I got this game.

The story was really hacky and the characters were totally out-of-character. I didn't believe Samus's portrayal, and Adam was not even remotely how I imagined him to be based on his portrayal in Metroid Fusion. Some of the other characters in Samus's squad in that game are kind of cool, but Adam and Samus totally ruined it. Also, the idea of getting "authorization" to use weapons and powerups is not at all believable. Having done real-world "mission" type work (let's leave it at that), you don't immediately handcuff your most valuable asset in a crisis situation. Totally bogus! I'd rather them have recycled the "suit is damaged and malfunctioning" plot device from all the previous games than subject me to that narrative!

And then there's the gameplay. To say that the controls on the Wii-mote are frustrating is an understatement! It is very difficult to effectively target anything for missiles, and constantly swapping the position of the Wii-mote is very annoying and not intuitive. The "cutscenes" where you have to find something are also extremely annoying, as is looking for secret passages in 1st person mode after moving around in little bits. Slows down gameplay and is not fun. And the fact that they messed with the core mechanics of how energy and missile recovery work (and that there aren't really any new item pickups) also made the game less fun. ...and the D-pad is a crappy way to move around in a 3D world.

So in short, don't bother with this game. Though I'm always sad that Mr. Yokoi was tragically taken from us, it's a small mercy that he didn't have to witness this unfortunate entry to the franchise he started.
on March 27, 2014
Item came in perfect condition, still in the shrink wrap. Very good deal at only 10 dollars, excellent seller. The developers, on the other hand....

The game has some solid action and very good graphics/presentation for the Wii, but the game still has some weird, uncomfortable design choices that would have been easy to fix.
Problem 1: The cutscenes, which can go on as long as 10-15 minutes, cannot be skipped. This is fine if you're interested in the story the first time around, but it really puts a damper on replayability. Would it really have been so hard to add a "skip cutscene" option?
Problem 2: The only control scheme they let you use is the sideways Wiimote (without nunchuck). It's really annoying to try and move your character in 3 dimensions with a D-pad instead of an analog stick.
Problem 3: Well, it's not entirely true that the sideways Wiimote is the *only* control scheme you use. Occasionally you have to point the Wiimote at the screen, which changes the perspective from a 3D platforming game (reminiscent of the 2D sidescrollers like Super Metroid and Metroid Fusion) into a first person shooter, like the popular Metroid Prime series. It's an interesting way to pay tribute to the Metroid franchise's rich heritage by combining gameplay styles, but here's the problem: Switching to first person, which you must do to defeat certain enemies, has a delay of about one and a half seconds. That doesn't sound like a lot, but when you're in a small room surrounded by quick enemies who are attacking you, it's a lifetime. I often took large amounts of damage that I don't feel I deserved, because I was switching modes.

Problems 2 and 3 could have been resolved very easily if they just modified the control scheme slightly. My solution would be to allow for use of the nunchuck and its analog stick, like in Zelda: Twilight Princess, which would allow Samus to move more freely in her new 3D platforming environment, and to dedicate a button (B, maybe?) for switching between 3rd person and 1st person. I'm about halfway through the game, and I'm enjoying it somewhat, but I don't think I'll revisit this one anytime soon. It's really not deserving of the Nintendo first party label.
on February 4, 2016
This is in no way like any metroid game you have ever played. however it is not a bad game - once you get over the weird story and the bad acting the game play is pretty good. Do not expect similar game play to any other metroid game.
on March 24, 2013
Not a good direction for the series... Better for those who seek action without requiring a lot of skill, and who enjoy frustrating hunts for very specific and non obvious triggers to move to the next area.

Storyline has taken a major step backwards as well.

This is the ONLY one in the series I haven't liked or finished, with the exception of Metroid Prime: Hunters, which I also didn't care for - and I think this is the spiritual successor to that, so take that to heart.

This game has taken everything I loved about the Metroid series and thrown it aside in favor of a more "halo" style story, and impressive looking action that requires no skill. Gone is the magic of exploration that made the series so truly great.

Samus was always best as a silent protagonist... Maybe I'm just getting older, but if this is the road the series will go down, I'm done.
on May 7, 2018
Bought one for myself since I never got it when it first came out. Also got another for a friend because he absolutely despises this game. Worked great as a gag gift for him. :D
on March 21, 2013
If you are a metroid fan like I am, then you know damn well you will pick this up. I picked this up when it was dirty cheap because when I heard this game was not going to be like Metroid Prime 1-3 via FPS, I decided to wait until the reviews and I am glad waited. However, this is not an AWFUL game, it is fun when it works! There is two different ways to play the game but in the end you kind of just wish this game was just FPS to begin with like the Metroid Prime games. If you see the game for 5-10 bucks, then pick it up for sure but be warned, the story is AWFUL
One person found this helpful
on February 19, 2018
Gameplay was fun, the mechanics of shifting your entire grip on the controller to fire missiles was annoying, the story was weak, and giving Samus a whiny voice to narrate the whole game was a major mistake from Nintendo. It would be like Nintendo deciding to fully voice Link with Toby McGuire cast as the Hero of Time. Then get a 16-year-old to write the dialog. This game lacked the awesome feeling of Metroid Prime and Super Metroid.
on January 28, 2015
I was expecting so much, but in the end it just butchered Samus Aran's character, and had overall terrible design and gameplay. Avoid if you are a fan of the series, you are better off replaying the other titles.
3 people found this helpful
on May 1, 2018
Said it was going to be here on a monday but was here on 2 days ahead of time. It was really unexpected yet great cause i got to play the game on my day off. It was brand new for a great price! The descreption was accurate, I would but from these guys again anytime.
|0Comment|Report abuse

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.