Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Digital Albums PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Trade in. Get paid. Go shopping. Tailgating PSFF17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 375 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 649 reviews
on August 5, 2015
Game had a lot of potential. It's a good game and should be played and enjoyed. But there's some stuff holding it back from being the classic it could have been.

Clunky controls, bad voice acting, and plot holes (there's one gaping plot hole that I won't say as it gives away a twist in the game).

The controls don't have to be as refined as say Grand Theft Auto for a game to be enjoyable, and the TellTale games are a testament to that. Speaking of TellTale games are what Heavy Rain wishes it could be. Play through The Walking Dead or their Game of Thrones games and you see that the controls are not ever meant to be the highlight of the game. It's the story, characters, plot developments and voice acting that is at center stage.

Heavy Rain has some bad voice acting that really pulls you out of the game at times ....(let's not forget JAAAAAAAAASON).

The story line was decent and did have me compelled the first time through...till you realize all the plot holes at the end. If you never played the game you should give it a go.
on June 17, 2014
I wish they made more interactive games like this. I love that whatever you do or say it can alter the game. The graphics are also the most amazing I've ever seen. The story is so good too. I love crime stuff and this has a feel of that. I also like that you can play as many different characters. It's not just the 4 on the cover, but you control other characters throughout the game. They put so much time and effort into this game. I like that you can just jump right in and don't need to look at any instructions. This game is addicting as well because it's so good but it saves as you go along so you can just keep playing and playing it without going to some save screen that usually makes you decide you're done playing for the time. I played it like 12 hours straight. Which was horrible! But it's the best game I've ever played. GET IT if you you like shows like SVU or crime stuff because this is what it's like. This game is like watching a movie except you're in it!
on May 19, 2014
Let me first say that if you're new at gaming and Call of Duty, Resident Evil or The Last Of Us intimidates you, but feel silly at the thought of playing Mario Bros (I don't know why you would, I loved Mario as a kid and still do), than this game is for you. Let me begin with a summary. :)

In Heavy Rain, we are confronted with the case of discovering the identity of the Origami Killer, a serial killer so named because he/she leaves an origami figure and an orchid on the body of the victim, which is always a young boy. The Origami Killer strikes in the fall, using the accumulated rainwater to drown his/her prey. Four characters investigate the case in their own way: Ethan Mars, a father of two who suffers from agoraphobia; Madison Paige, a photojournalist and insomniac; Norman Jayden, an FBI agent and secret druggie assigned to crack the case (no pun intended); and Scott Shelby, a former cop and current-PI who is hired by the victims' families to investigate.

There are plenty of negative reviews out there, most of which have nothing to do with the plot, which is a pity as it really is good. I'll give a brief review, starting with the cons and working my way to the pros (because I want to explain why I do love this game without sugarcoating it :)

CONS

-Controls: not really a con in my view, but I mention it because this is the major beef some people have with it. As I said, you'll feel like you are playing/watching a game/movie. This is almost purely push-and-press-buttons type of gameplay. Granted, you will control each of the four main characters separately, their ability to open doors, walk or occasionally run, but it will feel limited to even the casual gamer (no voluntary jump/crouch/etc controls). This would initially seem at odds with QD's basis for the game, which is that you control everything and hence have an affect on which ending you will get (which are several). However, this isn't a hardcore action/adventure game, and you won't need to randomly crouch behind couches or jump off bridges anyway. It's mostly storyline based and you will control more of the characters thoughts and speech. I found this intriguing and certainly one of the reasons to continue playing. Be warned that there will be quick timed events, so your fingers will fly. Some people hate it, others love it. I really don't care either way, it was easy getting used to.

-Voice acting: I don't know about you, but voice acting is one of the things I scrutinize in video games. The entire cast was good to superb (my favorites were the voices behind Ethan Mars, Scott Shelby and some of the minor characters, 3-4 of which were voiced by the SAME person - talent!). However, the reason why I've included it as a con is because Norman Jayden's accent cannot sound convincing in ANY part of the US. It's mostly funny and slightly annoying by turns - is it supposed to be a slight New York, Jersey or Boston accent? The entire cast is British and/or French, so the effort is certainly laudable, but I think Leon Ockendon could have rehearsed a little more to get it right. :)

PROS

-Story/plot: it's good. Very good. GRIPPINGLY good, especially at the really tense moments! It grows organically from the first part or two, which is admittedly a little slow at first (I assume to allow the player time to flesh out the controls and the environment), but after that, you want to see what will happen next. I have nothing but admiration for David Cage, the scriptwriter and major man behind QD, because a mountain of effort went into this. It gets better and better, leaving you wondering, "Could he/she be the Origami Killer?" There are twists and turns, and you may jump to some conclusions before the end. The multiple endings will have you playing it over and over again, just to see what you will get. ;)

-Voice acting: yes, besides Leon Ockendon, aka NAH-men Jayden, the rest of the cast was good to great.

-Cool stuff in-game: this pretty much begins and ends with Norman Jayden's special hi-tech equipment, which do a lot more than anything Google can even fathom. I wish stuff like that could exist in real life. :(

-I'd insert more, but that's risking spoilers.

To sum up, I am not a hard-core gamer, but when I do play, I prefer titles with strong, realistic stories and/or characters. I don't mind a good horror game either (Silent Hill, anyone?). Not a huge fan of run-shoot-run games, or games where the main object is to rescue some anime princess and wield your big flashy thunderbolt sword (my brother is a die-hard in that category). With the PS3 generation coming to a close, prices will likely drop, so there's no excuse NOT to get this.
on December 21, 2013
Some games play the way it's based on. (RPG, Action, Adventure, etc.) Some games, regardless of the type of game, tell a story that you can get yourself involved in. Some games inspire us to be a better person while other games show you don't have to be afraid.

This particular game is a graphic horror adventure game. You play multiple chapters with different people, which will ultimately lead everyone in the game to the final chapter. This game is one of the rare games where you, the player, are a participant in a mind game, and you have to deal with pain, betrayal, and even psycholigical games in order to help. Imagine being in a horror movie "Saw", and you are forced to decide what's more important, your life, or someone elses life. This game is a serious mind teaser, and although just a game, you have to decide if what you are going through is worth what you are dealing with.

Some of the games you have to deal with are, it will make you press and hold as much as 7 buttons at one time, memory games where you have to remember what objects you touch, just to turn around and have to remember which objects you DIDN'T touch. The game is literally a horror story come to life, and you are it's victim. I personally have been entertained, not only by the story, but by the fact that I feel like I am participating in a mind game to save a life and to save myself from death.

Overall, a thrilling adventure for people who love horror movies. There are 2 variations to this game, one that uses the MOVE controller, and the other that doesn't require the MOVE controller. Oddly, this game was actually made "before" the MOVE controller was designed, but was later patched so that you could use it with this game. Either way, it's a great game. For adults only.
on November 24, 2015
Phenomenal game. I think to date in 2015 I have only played 3 like it, now. Some people are not into QTE (Quick Time Event) games where you have to match buttons during event sequences as they are happening, but I think it brings a fun challenge. Mostly, though, these games are all about having many different choices and outcomes to the storyline, which I really love. Not to mention the graphics are outstanding beyond belief for its time! beautifully done. I would play any game this developer makes!
VINE VOICEon May 13, 2011
Heavy Rain
Quantic Dream enters the ps3 game market with Heavy Rain. Being only their third game produced since their inception in 1997. Even though this is not a new genre, it has evolved considerably. It's really nice to see game developers taking more risks and branching out from FPS games.

Pros
-Multi dimensional story with solid characters and a twist
-Stunning graphics and motion capture
-Real consequences from choices i.e. people die permanently
-Multiple ending sequences
-Voice acting in most cases is excellent

Cons
-Not really a gamer's type of game
-Replay value is only ok despite story choices (I'll explain this)
-No true extras or secrets in the game

Graphics 9 of 10
Once in a very long while a game comes along that bucks the trend and I don't mean just takes what others have done and overhaul it; I mean a whole new genre is created. Heavy Rain is reminds me of some of the games back on the Sega Saturn where motion capture was just first being explored. In reality it was just video meshed with the game graphics to produce more realistic stories. However, Heavy Rain takes it much further than that. The power of the PS3 is really showcased in this game. Movement and animation is masterfully done and realistic beyond anything I've ever seen. And it appears that the developers literally did motion capture of the face muscles so you could tell not only what the characters were saying but how they felt about it as well. The detail on the faces shows as close to photo-realism as I've seen in a video game. The people also look believable as real people. There are overweight people in the game as well as average looking men and women.

Mechanics and Gameplay 7 of 10
To understand this game you have to think of it as an interactive movie. The majority of the time you'll be pressing and holding a few buttons all at once or even shaking the controller. Walking is kind of awkward and not really intuitive. You hold the R2 button and then "direct" your character with the analog stick as opposed to other games where you just walk with the stick. Most of the other mechanics are basically just pre-recorded so there isn't really any precedent.

Now, I have to give a disclaimer to those who aren't into games with deep storylines or don't consider themselves patient. It is not really what you'd call a real video game. There is dying, but the characters don't come back to life. There is very little shooting and it's not skill based; it's time based. So from a pure gamer's standpoint the game is going to be disappointing to say the least. But from a technical and plot view it is really an impressive game. For me personally, it's the opposite of my usual ideal open world game. But I feel like it was so well produced that it deserves acclaim.

The reason why the gameplay is lower is because in terms of gaming it holds a lower value. It's not to say that overall the game isn't good or even great. It just doesn't offer very much true skill based parts other than button mashing and the occasional need for quick reflexes. Aside from that, I don't see how there could be a physics program used or needed considering all the movements are pre-programmed or recorded into the game. You have just take into account this is super heavily based on the story and the gaming part is kind of just in addition to it.

Voice Acting and Music 9 of 10
The people cast for this game really had to fit the character for the game to have that wow factor and it is easy to see in the intonation the voice actors. They make you feel for their characters as opposed to just hearing the words. Even the child voice acting was really great. And the musical score felt very suited to the game. It really resembled a thriller or murder mystery movie.

Story 10 of 10
The story in Heavy Rain centers around an architect (Ethan Mars) with a wonderful life who loses his oldest son in a car accident. And the characters show a human quality rarely seen in a game. Ethan's wife divorces him after the accident and you can see the toll everything has taken on him as well as his other son. The other main players are Scott Shelby - private investigator, Norman Jayden - FBI agent and Madison Paige - a friend of Ethan's (her occupation is told later on in the game). And the basis for the plot is the Origami Killer, who kidnaps children and drowns them and leaves an origami figure in the child's hand. It is a really well put together story, with vibrant characters and a really impressive final twist. For obvious reasons this is the most detailed and clearly thought out part of the game.

Replay Value and Extras 6 of 10
My only serious complaint with the game is this: replay is appealing for only one reason - to change the final outcome. Despite the ability to affect each chapter, you can't really make the investigation go faster or slower and you can't really even solve the crime differently. It's this that keeps the game from being stellar. For example, Jayden solves the crime via his ARI device, but you literally can't advance to the next chapter without finding the specific things you were "supposed" to find in the evidence. In fact, after I'd seen a few different types of endings I didn't want to touch the game again. Once you've played all the endings you likely won't want to play ever again because you know the twist. Also, you can't make your own saves.

There is no reason to go searching around in your environment for anything but murder clues. There are not any collectables. So if you're not playing as Jayden, most of the actions have no direct effect on the story and are superfluous. If I want to go and wash my hands for fun; I'll do the real thing. At least I'll get rid of some germs. The actual extras involve some "making of" and concept sketches but are hardly worth looking at and you have to earn these.

Conclusion
I can't recommend this game to just anyone. And the problem is that even though it's really well executed, it has a fairly small niche. People that own a ps3 would probably profess to be seasoned or even extreme gamers, which means they likely appreciate games for their pushing of boundaries. So, for example it isn't likely that a person who enjoys the Uncharted series would be interested in Heavy Rain. I'd put this game closer to the casual category, more for people who play for like an hour at a time - max. So this is a rental game in my opinion. And even though I appreciate it for what it does well, it's not something I'd play all the way through ever again.
on May 23, 2011
I have to admit I am not a huge gamer and play "app" type games more than full length game system games. I think this is due to a short attention span and not having the time to learn all the button combinations it takes to fully experience a regular video game.

That being said, I searched the internet for PS3 games that might be easier to play for the average person. I purchased, Little Big Planet, Heavy Rain and Uncharted based on my internet findings. I played Little Big Planet for a few hours and it was fun, it reminded me of Super Mario Brothers type games I used to play when I was younger. It is what I call an okay way to pass some free time.

On the flip side, Heavy Rain was so engrossing I just could not put it down. It was as if I was directing a movie and playing a game. The moves were shown to me on screen so no crazy memorization of 50 different control button combinations. That alone was refreshing and adding that the game had a wildly engrossing and creepy plot had me hooked. I sat down to try it out early one morning and didn't stop until the game was over late that night. The best part is that I would actually sit down and play it again just to try out the characters using different actions and watching the different consequencses even though I already know the ending.

What a great game! I wish there were more out there, but researching the internet only turns up one called Indigo Prophecy and it is for the Playstation 2 platform. Who do I have to call to get more games like this one?!?!?!? I LOVED IT!
An intense game created for mature audiences, Heavy Rain plays out like a blockbuster movie where you control how it ends.

Plot:
You begin the game as a man who's just going about his daily life. He's a husband and father, with a nice home and great carer. Suddenly tragedy befalls the family, and all this changed. This event then completely changes the scenery of the game. You start out in a bright, colorful, happy environment, only to end up in a dark, grey, non-stop raining city, with sadness all around you.

There is a serial killer kidnapping children in your city, and suddenly you find your son missing and yourself racing to find him. Along the way, you meet people who play pivotal rolls in tracking down the killer and finding your son. No ones knows who the killer is, but time is limited and you go to extreme lengths to find him in time. Tested every step of the way, every outcome can change how this story unfolds, and whether or not you find your happy ending.

Characters:
You play 4 main characters in this game, not just a single person. You play a father, a "mysterious woman", a private detective and an FBI Criminal Profiler. Each of these people are all working towards the same goal, to find the Origami Killer. The choices these 4 people make determines the outcome of all future events. A character can die in the game, and if they do, the rest of the game and story unfolds differently.

Mature content:
When they say this game has mature content, they mean it. Nudity, murders, sex scenes, swearing, small amount of drug use and very intense scenes involving deaths/killings are all included. What makes this game also so intense is you're not just watching it, you have to play through the scenes. There are many scenarios where you have to fight hard to get away from some one who is trying to kill you. If you don't push the buttons fast enough, you watch your character die painfully. It gives the player a much more personal involvement during game play. It's right at the level where it's a great game for adults who can separate themselves from the game, but too intense for kids.

Controls/difficulty:
There are 3 settings for difficulty. What makes the game more or less difficult is how fast you are at pressing buttons on the controller in different required sequences. There are some scenes that are quite challenging to get past, fortunately even in the middle of game play you can lower the difficulty rating. You still have to accomplish the same button sequences, however you are given just a bit more time to complete each command. In addition to playing the game with the regular PS3 controller, it can also be played using the PS3 Move controllers.

Graphics:
Astounding! The best I have ever seen. Close up shots of people's faces show just how unbelievably detailed they were in designing each and every person. You can see every speck of dirt in their clothing, the rain as it soaks their hair, deep textures in all of the objects and the scenery is so real you can completely envision yourself in the setting.

Conclusion:
One of the most powerful PS3 games I have ever played. Heavy Rain pulls you in and it's stunning graphics make you feel as though you are right there in the story. Emotional highs and lows run throughout the whole story, giving players even more incentive to try their best to find the killer in time. Plots twists you'll never see coming keep this game a shocker to the very end. You won't want to miss out on Heavy Rain, it is definitely a must buy game for your PS3 library. After completing the game once, I went back several chapters to replay other scenarios a few times, to see what the new game outcome would be. Heavy Rain is a game that even after you complete it, it pulls you back in to see what more is hidden that you missed.
on September 23, 2010
French developer Quantic Dream, the mind behind the unique and innovative Indigo Prophecy, seems to have finally nail down its formula with Heavy Rain, the highly anticipated "interactive drama", which manages to mesh powerful story-telling and atmosphere with engrossing and immersive gameplay.

Heavy Rain's narrative focuses on four protagonists separate protagonists - architect Ethan Mars, journalist Madison Paige, private detective Scott Shelby, and FBI agent Norman Jayden - whose lives interweave with one another. Without giving too much away, the game's unifying "antagonist" is a serial killer given the moniker "Origami Killer" thanks to the small origami art found atop all of the victims, who police have been unable to locate while the death count increases.

Staying true to the "interactive drama" genre, Heavy Rain is entirely narrative-driven, as the characters wrestle with internal and external conflict, yet transcends its own newly created genre thanks to an accessibility that grants it wider appeal than Quantic Dream's last outing. It's also an unabashedly dark, mature game, with hints of the film noir genre, as it focuses on its overwhelmingly grounded characters thrust into extraordinary, exigent circumstances, also flirting heavily with the question of the tagline, "How far would you go to save someone you love?" It probes the depths of human nature, among other things, far more than almost all games before it.

In terms of actual gameplay, Heavy Rain employs an untraditional control scheme, mostly through commands mandated by certain button presses, that strives to add to the immersion by making movements and actions feel precise and deliberate. General maneuvering will likely be hit or miss among players - I found it to be particularly intuitive, though sharp changes in direction while walking rarely offered me some trouble, likely because I didn't feel the need to stop before changing directions. More action-oriented scenes - and the game is filled to the brim with them, each more intense than the last - are handled with more familiar series of button presses that resemble quick-time-events seen in other titles, though they generally keep in line with the intuitiveness of the control scheme and offer a lot of depth.

One other notable aspect to the gameplay is its malleable nature. While narrative driven, Heavy Rain isn't driven by a single narrative, meaning the players' actions have direct implications to the story, and to such an extreme degree that the main protagonists can actually die at various points within the confines of the story. This sense of permanence lends itself greatly to Heavy Rain's gripping nature, while the malleability of the story results in seven different possible outcomes (as well as replayability for those who would like to see all of the different choices afforded to the player and the outcomes they yield).

The script is intelligently penned, in terms of both dialogue and plot vehicles. The characters are incredibly believable and multidimensional, which allows you to develop a deep connection with them (Ethan, in particular) and the characters themselves fully develop as the game progresses. The main storyline itself is also particularly clever and bound to leave most people guessing until the end and thoroughly engrossed.

The script is also rife with thrilling, intense moments, which juxtapose beautifully with the theme of subtlety and nuance prevalent throughout the experience. In fact, Heavy Rain features some of the most intense scenes video games have ever seen, due in great part to the connection to characters that the strong storytelling and atmosphere breed. Many people might have been put off by fears of "slow" gameplay that's been going around, but the game veraciously and unapologetically dispels that notion; the parts that are "slow" cleverly presented, expertly crafted scenes that draw you further into the world, get you further invested in the characters and all so the game can forcibly shake you down to your very core with powerful, captivating moments.

One reason behind the game's success with creating compelling characters, outside of the writing, is the technology. The game as a whole, is a graphical powerhouse; the graphics are unbelievable, and certainly the most realistic to date. The extensive motion capture and attention to detail, augmented by the powerful hardware of the PS3, lend themselves to the most believable, personable facial animation the gaming industry has ever seen, which in turn grants a higher level of connection to the characters, who feel incredibly real. The most subtle nuances - muscle twitches in the face - or blemishes on a character's skin add one more layer to the already multilayered characters, as well as unprecedented believability.

Character models have been meticulously crafted to reflect genuineness in the characters, just as the mostly-urban environments have been to reflect an authenticity of the game world. The atmosphere is chilling when it needs to be, while maintaining sincerity consistently. The drama works thanks to subtlety and attention to detail - the most miniscule object haphazardly laying about in a room, for example, gives the room an air of authenticity, as if someone is truly living there. Equally considered is the sound work, which seamlessly blends with scenes, completely amplifying the emotional resonance; the musical score is poignant and artfully composed, while sound effects help further immersion into the setting.

The voice acting, however, isn't without its flaws. While the majority of it ranges from good to top-notch there are a few poor accents in the game, which are simply jarring because of how noticeable they can be when juxtaposed with setting (which isn't France, mind you) and other characters; it really leads to wonder as to why they didn't consider hiring any North American voice talent - perhaps even approaching some notable actors - considering the focus on narrative.

There also occasional subtle issues with animation (such as an item not entirely being in a character's grip) which, despite their brevity, are noticeable. Of course, this is also a testament to the game's technological prowess overall, because the things that do stand out as flaws are so unbelievably inconsequential that they'd hardly be noticed in just about any other game.

The list of complaints about Heavy Rain are slim, but it remains true that it may not be a game for everyone. That being said, there isn't a gamer out there that shouldn't at least give the game a chance - a chance to be captivated, enveloped, and engrossed. It's somewhat hard to do the title full justice without giving away any of the scenes in the game in an exciting manner that hooks you in, but they're better left - each and every one - to experience, not know beforehand, even if it's something exponentially small.

All that needs to be said is that Heavy Rain is an incredibly polished, unique title with its emphasis on delivering a mature, compelling story - and, that the game succeeds in all aspects, thanks to incredibly realistic technology, a stirring musical score, excellent writing, intuitive gameplay, and, perhaps most of all, absolutely brilliant directing by David Cage who manipulates scenes - from camera angles to lighting to character performance - with a rarely seen mastery. Heavy Rain is an experience that will stay with you long after you finish its story.
on December 1, 2010
My favorite games of all time in 'Quest' genre have always been Gabriel Knight and Phantasmagoria series by Sierra for PC (Win 95). Older generations may remember those (early 90's). So I was really bummed out when they decided to stop making them, 'cause of 'moral impact' on our youth (real actors, gore, graphic violence, etc.). What a load of crap!!! And I've been waiting patiently, till they create something similar for Sony PS3 console or other gaming platforms. Finally, it's here! Thanx Sony!!! Heavy Rain is exactly what I wanna play! Bit tired of shooting, RPGs and arcades! Needed some diversity, I really did! (any suggestions are more than welcome!!!) Plus this game is compatible with PS3 Move! Wow! Couldn't be more psyched! I received mine without any indication of PS Move Compatibility (sticker or notification), not even in its own description/manual and whatnot! Kinda freaked me out at first! WTH, right? Decided to try it anyway. Popped that BD into my PS3. It took me up to 1.5 hrs to download all upgrades and patches to make it work with the PS3 Move. No biggie, but still. Why post the wrong picture? After playing for almost 9 hrs. straight, I must say it's an amazing game! I give 5 star rating for: story line and plot, stunning graphics, music score, availability to choose difficulty level(!!!) Just great! Overall rating still would be 4 stars! Although, Sony has adapted this game for PS3 Move (it WAS NOT, originally), it still has few pitfalls. To play this game you're gonna need both; DualShock 3 Wireless Controller (comes standard with your console) and PlayStation Move Controller. The biggest inconvenience (IMHO), is handling DualShock 3 in one hand, 'cause you only need 3 buttons (left stick, L1 and L2) - balancing ain't right! The best solution would be: to get a PlayStation Move Navigation Controller, which I haven't had (just ordered from Amazon ($29.54), so should you!). One more thing, and I repeat, this game WASN'T initially created for PS3 Move!!! It's been recently ADAPTED to play on PS3 Move, therefore, it has a bunch of big flaws! Sometimes, combinations of control buttons don't make any sense at ALL, unless you have 12 fingers or more! There're several scenes/situations where it's quite hard to play all the way through. Other than that, this game's AWESOME!

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.