Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Shop Book House Cleaning _fof _fof _fof  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now toystl17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 1,273 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 1,337 reviews
on July 4, 2010
This switch is great. I've been working with computers and networking since the early 90's (anyone else remember Mosaic?), and I've had to deal with a lot of switches that required manually setting every little thing in order to get it to work - and of course every type of router you were connecting the switch to required different settings.
This switch is absolutely plug-n-play. If your broadband (cable, DSL) router is filled up and you need to add another network device, you cannot go wrong with this switch.

The documentation is horrible, perhaps even a bit misleading. In the troubleshooting section, it says something about the switch not being designed to allow more than one computer to access the internet. Well, that's technically true...you can't just have a switch and really do anything with it...but if you have broadband access, you have a router (technically, that box on your desk is a router plus a 4-port switch) so that is already taken care of.

So...here's the details on how to get all your computers, network printers, network storage, game consoles, blu-ray players, etc. to talk to each other and the internet. Be sure to follow these instructions exactly...

1. Turn off all your computers, printers, etc., and the broadband router.
2. Unplug something (anything, it doesn't matter what, but I usually use port 1) from the broadband router.
3. Run a short ethernet cable between the port on the router you just freed up and ANY port on the switch.
4. Plug the thing you just unplugged and everything new into the switch.
5. Plug the switch AC adapter into the wall and the back of the switch.
6. Turn everything back on.

THAT'S IT! How could it get any easier than that?
I think TRENDnet is really missing a selling point here by not stressing how easy this switch is to add to your existing network!

I don't know, and honestly I'm not going to try and measure, how much energy is actually saved by the graduated power sent to the ports based on cable length, but I think it's a nice feature to shut down power to a port if the device is idle for long periods of time.

So far, I can't think of a single bad thing to say about this switch. When I first pulled it out of the box, I thought it was a bit light (even though it is made out of metal and not cheap-o plastic) to stay on the desk when 8 cables are plugged into it...but then I noticed that they even included a square of velcro to attach to the desk and switch so it wouldn't move around.

Summary: if you need to expand the number of ports in your network, buy this switch.
77 comments| 96 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
The manufacturer commented on the review below
on February 14, 2016
I bought the TE100-S5/AS (version 1.3R) in 2013 and LOVE it. I love it so much that I bought a second one in 2014. I never noticed until yesterday that the second one isn't the same as the first one (which is weird because I clicked on the same item from my first order thinking I was re-ordering the identical product). The second one has the green line on top (GREENnet) and a slightly different model: TE100-S5/A (version 2.0R). Turns out this GREENnet model allows only half the bandwidth of the original one. It's much much slower according to various speed tests. It maxes out at about 40Mbps, not even coming close to its advertised 100Mbps. I won't be using it anymore.
on March 3, 2017
I'm astonished how many features are available on this switch for the price (not that I needed any of them :-) I usually use the N*G* brand, but this seemed fine.

It installed quickly, I did not have to change any of the default settings, because initially we are just using this as a dumb switch, the smart-switch features are to future-protect us once we get our wi-fi figured out (this is for a medium-sized new england church.)

Physical construction is reasonable robust (metal box). What more can I say?
on November 13, 2009
I bought this switch to allow me to use more than one computer and another device a Captel 800i captioned telephone on the same Verizon DSL line with a Westell 6100 modem/router. The Westell 6100 only has one ethernet port so I bought the switch to allow me to hook more devices to the internet. The ease of use hooking it up and using it is amazing. I turned off the modem/router and I plugged the switch in and hooked the dsl line to one of the ethernet ports in the switch (it doesn't matter which port!). I then hooked the ethernet lines from two computers and another from the CapTel 800i phone to the other free ports. I turned on the modem/router and started using both computers and the phone immediately. No programs to load, no set-up, no rebooting of the computers, nothing! Pure plug and play! It was stress free and absolutely wonderful. If only setting up routers and modems were this easy. A great product, reliable, easy to set-up, and use. The case looks a little cheap, but it is a great product for the money. Can't say enough about it.
on October 13, 2009
I needed to "split" a single Ethernet connection between my DirecTV box (for DTV on demand) and my Samsung BluRay DVD player (for Netflix streaming)so I did not have to keep swapping the cable back and forth. This little Trendnet gem really fit the bill. It is small, lightweight and completely unobtrusive. The best part is there is no setup, completely plug and play. Look no further, you found what you are looking for!

Update 06/16/2011: My orginal ethernet splitter is still working great and I recently bought another one for my game room. Seriously, buy this item!
44 comments| 51 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 7, 2011
I'm a college student that has a laptop and Xbox 360, but only one ethernet port. Because I could only have one device connected by ethernet, I was in need of a device that could share bandwidth like a router while not having the router specs that make routers unusable in a dorm room. I researched for a solution, and this appeared to be it. It definitely is the solution! Now, I can play games on my Xbox 360 while using the web on my computer. And most importantly, I didn't notice a drop in internet quality. It's far more valuable to me than the $13 I paid for it.

This product lets you have up to 4 devices sharing the same connection, and it is perfect for something akin to a college dorm (or if you don't want a router).

Excellent product!
on November 10, 2016
This is by far one of the best network switches I have ever used. you cannot beat the price and the quality is really good. I have used this many times to extend the network to DVR recorder's, Smart TVs and gaming consoles. I also use it for 2-way communications on alarm systems. Works flawlessly every time.

I probably have purchased around 15–16 in the last two years. Only one of them actually failed but after a quick test I realize that the switch was intact and the power supply Died out (power surge). I spent $1.99 on a second power supply and the swithc worked like new.

I seriously recommend this switch it is worth every penny
on August 20, 2013
Less than $13 to get more ethernet ports, awesome!

So far so good. The 2 I bought are functioning flawlessly. I did not need a Gigabit switch because my home network is only for accessing the web. I have several different rooms that have web devices (PS3, Xbox 360, Wii, TV) that need to connect to the network to connect to the web. They ALL function so much better going wired instead of wifi.

If I had to do heavy fast networking between devices like my own servers, then I'd pay more for a Gigabit switch. But not needed. Not even close to needed. Don't believe the hype. If all you are doing is connecting to the internet, like MOST people, then you will not benefit from a device that can go faster than your internet downloads. Remember, no matter what is in the chain, the weakest link sets the speed.

That's a little over simplified, but I had to do a lot of my own research on this issue of Gigabit switch or not and Cat5E or Cat6 and maybe I can save you some time and money. Pretty much if you have to ask if you need it, then you don't. Reason being is you're probably like most of us and the fastest thing you're doing on your network is downloading (streaming too) at whatever the download speeds you're paying for, which are nowhere near Gigabit speeds. 1 Gigabit = 1,024 Megabits per second (Mbps). My DSL is 10 Mbps. Most folks ISP speeds never exceed 25Mbps, which is 0.024 Gigabits per second.
Put it another way: You don't need a switch that can move 1000 things a second when you're already limited (by the ISP) to no more than say 10 or 25 things a second, assuming again that you're like most folks whose home networks are simply for accessing the web. Even if you were able to get 100 Mbps internet speeds that's still only 0.098 Gigabits. Not even a tenth of what a Gigabit switch can do. Hope that helps.

Oh and also, switches are smart with their resources unlike hubs meaning that they are more efficient. They send info back and forth ONLY between the devices that need to communicate. A hub sends info to all devices thus reducing the speeds of everything going through it. Off the subject, but just another reason why this switch is all I needed for my high speed DSL of 0.0098 Gbps (10Mbps)
on November 30, 2014
The title of this product is so confusing - "Unmanaged 10/100 Mbps GREENnet Ethernet." Regardless, its actual application is beautiful - split a single ethernet signal into 4 signals. I've been using it over a year and have not had any problems with it (which I can't say for some of my other electronic devices).

Let me explain my setup and why I purchased this. I have AT&T Uverse, and where the Uverse junction box is mounted is maybe 50 feet from where my entertainment system is. I needed one LAN line for the cable box and one for the Blu-ray player. (I stream Amazon and Netflix from the Blu-ray player, and I found that a wireless connection causes delays so I wanted a direct connection to the Internet). I didn't want an A/B switch for the LAN because that would mean Uverse couldn't record if I was watching Netflix using the DVD player.

This has done a great job doing what it's supposed to - I now have two separate devices that share the ethernet signal. I've never had to unplug it and replug it in because it's stopped working.The TRENDnet has been working perfectly 24/7 for the past year.
on February 13, 2013
I have used TrendNet products for decades, and so when I found myself running out of room on my router, I decided to append a switch (daisy-chain fashion for those who are familiar).

Pros:
You can't beat the price (I've paid more for a phoofy Starbux coffee and donut)
There is NO install, just plug this gizmo into any available port on your router (or modem, whatever), and you have immediate 4 (or more) ethernet ports at your disposal. (More, if you order their 8 port, or 16 port switch.)
Small footprint, I have it velcro'd to my desk hutch, hidden by the monitor, yet available as needed.

Cons:
Just 10/100, no gigabit traffic; but I don't have gigabit web service, so this is not an issue for me. If you need speed, TrendNet also offers fast switches.