Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: TERRO Fruit Fly Trap T2500
Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Britney Spears Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Celine Dion Water Sports STEM

Size: 1 Pack|Change

on July 4, 2011
About a year ago, my boyfriend and I moved into a new apartment - we managed to score a fantastic 2 bed, 2 bath apartment with low rent and included utilities. It was the perfect place to start our life together, and I was often delighted to come home to a beautiful new bunch of flowers on the table...until one day he brought home Kale flowers, and soon began...THE INFESTATION.

Fruit flies began popping up everywhere, flying in front of my face when I was doing dishes, in front of my computer screen in a dark room, landing in my coffee cups every morning when I wasn't looking, and of course, a dozen would launch into flight any time I neared the kitchen sink. I began to wage war - I kept my house spotless from food or damp places they could nest. I would lock onto one and stalk it around the apartment, my back huntched, my hands out ready to squash the beast as soon as I got an opportunity. Unfortunately, this was a battle I was losing.

I found the Terro 2500 Fruit Fly Trap whilst googling home remedies for getting rid of fruit flies. I ordered two, and was at first confounded - several fruit flies would land on the outside of it and sit there, almost as if to mock my feeble attempts to one-up them on the battlefield. This continued for several days. However, I soon started noticing the bastards climbing down into the chamber, and now, a week later, there are at least 20 carcasses in my Terro 2500 Fruit Fly Trap by the sink, trapped dead forever in the red liquid, serving as a reminder for every new fruit fly that crawls down the trap - I will be victorious.
2727 comments| 497 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 27, 2011
I have a parrot who eats lots of fresh fruit. I have never had fruit flies in 20 years. For some reason in the last few weeks I have a lot of them. I bought 2 of these traps. They are nicely designed and well made but are VERY pricey at $7 a pop. It's a small plastic ball (size of a golf ball)with some 'attractant' drops to put in the ball. Turns out the 'attractant' is apple cider vinegar with red dye in it. I opened the traps added the liquid and waited. Lots of buzzing around for several hours but no catches. When I woke up this a.m. both traps had about 30 fruit flies each - so they are working. There was lots of interest in them right away but for several hours none were trapped. After 24 hours they are pulling them in. It's important to note these traps work for FRUIT FLIES ONLY. They don't work for gnats or house flies.
After watching this work I made my own traps out clear plastic cottage cheese containers. Make sure the container is washed and clean. Pour about an inch of ONLY apple cider or red wine vinegar in the bottom (Regular WHITE vinegar DOES NOT WORK).Add one drop of liquid dish soap. That breaks the tension of the vinegar and allows the flies to sink and drown. If you don't use the drop of soap the flies can get away. I poked a few SMALL holes in the lid of the cottage cheese container. This lets the flies go in but they can't get back out.
This method is almost FREE. You could also use a container without a lid but I prefer to know the fruit flies are trapped once they enter.
44 comments| 268 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 7, 2012
*A another reviewer wrote about using apple cider vinegar in a bowl to catch fruit flies and so I do not take credit for the idea*

I took her advice, added apple cider vinegar into a cup (or bowl) and it really attracted the fruit flies. However, most of the fruit flies rested on the rim of the cup. So I bought fly ribbon (really sticky paper to trap flies, which is useless alone) and put the ribbon around the rim of the cup!

A PERFECT combination! Fly Ribbon and Apple Cider Vinegar. (See the picture I posted)

I thank the original reviewer for getting me started and eventually leading to the end of my fruit fly problem! Using this combo makes the Fly Ribbon DEADLY! (for fruit flies)

P.S.
I handled the fly ribbon with my bare hands and the really sticky goo got on my hands. I used oil, soap, and hot water to get the residue off.

I ruined that glass cup you see in the picture, it was too hard to get the residue off the glass so now it has become my designated fruit fly catching cup. I recommend using a disposable cup.
review image
99 comments| 264 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 2, 2013
Terro does not work as well as my traps. Terro is just old vinegar (acetic acid) and a cone in a jar. Make a trap yourself-- hot apple cider vinegar with a drop or two of dish detergent in a bottle. Seal the top with plastic wrap. Put to hole in the wrap. Roll up & tape a short paper cone with a fairly narrow end, poke it through the hole. Put your traps in a warm place and everywhere you have seen these guys.

Clean your kitchen and pantry (and grubby kids' rooms) very thoroughly. Do not leave dishes in the sink. Put all fruits and veggies and toothpaste in the frig or sealed plastic bags. Seal up damp sponges, brushes, and mops. They breed in damp places. Pour boiling water down your drains daily. They don't like cold or breezes. Turn on a fan in the kitchen. Don't open doors or windows, as more will come in. We turned the air conditioner way up on the first two floors. The trap in the hot upstairs bedroom killed hundreds. Clean and reset your traps every two days. They will be gone in about 10 days. (Remember every lady fly lays about 500 eggs.)

Look on the bright side--GREAT science fair project. Compare the kill rates of various products, vinegar alone, vinegar with detergent, different kinds of vinegar, wine. Don't try rotting fruit, because the flies will lay eggs there. (Doesn't work as well as vinegar anyway.) Find out why it helps to add detergent.
on June 28, 2010
These catch a few flies, but not nearly as many as you can catch with home-made traps. I caught many more using a small pickle jar, in which I put 1 inch of apple cider vinegar and a few drops of dish-washing liquid.
1212 comments| 185 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 1, 2010
as others have said, a homemade trap will cost you much less. Put some apple cider vinegar or balsamic vinegar in a jar (I have even used baby food ones), add a few drops of dish soap to break up the surface tension of the water, shake gently and set out. Within 30 minutes, more than half of my flies were trapped in the liquid. Even if you don't use the rest of the vinegar for cooking, it will only cost you a couple of bucks to make this trap. it's been a savior here in Europe where there are no screens or air conditioning so they come in the open windows quite freely.
2121 comments| 312 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 3, 2009
I read reviews for all of the fruit fly remover products that I could find before making a choice. I decided to buy 2 products, the Terro 2500 fruit fly trap (http://www.amazon.com/Terro-2500-Fruit-Fly-Trap/dp/B002EJLLEE/) and the SpringStar - Kitchen Fruit Fly Trap (http://www.amazon.com/SpringStar-Kitchen-Fruit-Fly-Trap/dp/B000E3BZQ6/). If I matters, I used Dawn dish washing soap with this product. For whatever reason, this product requires you to add liquid soap.

They arrived today (11/3/09). Being who I am, I put one of each in the kitchen, one on the floor next to the trash can and the other on the window sill. I did put 2 or 3 drops of the Terro 2500 product in the trash can.

Within the first 3 hours of having these products out, a little over half of all of the fruit flies were in one of these jars instead of flying around the kitchen. I don't have anything to compare it to, but I think I had more fruit flies then prior people that posted, but I could be wrong. I checked back about 4 hours later and the majority of the remaining fruit flies were in the jars also. Yippee! Both of these products worked for me.
44 comments| 89 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
Size: 1 Pack|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I received this Terro fruit fly trap from the Amazon Vine program, in order to review it. We've always got fruit flies in our house - around the bananas and the trash can - so I was hoping this product would help eliminate them.

I set it up next to the bananas, and in one day it had three fruit flies in it. There were still several of them flying around, so I left it several more days to see how it worked. It did catch a few more fruit flies, but it didn't attract all of them.

I cut off the plastic wrapper, unscrewed the top, removed the little inner funnel, and dumped the contents out. I refilled it with about 3 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar and added a couple of drops of dish soap to break the surface tension (this keeps the fruit flies from being able to escape from the liquid). After reassembling it, I left it sitting near the bananas. The apple cider vinegar did a much better job of attracting fruit flies into the trap. I haven't seen any flying around, even by the trash on the other side of the kitchen, since I refilled the trap.

I'm giving this product 5 stars for the cute design, and for the fact that it can be refilled at home. I give the liquid inside three stars because it just didn't attract enough fruit flies. So, overall it gets 4 stars from me.
33 comments| 70 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon September 20, 2012
Size: 1 Pack|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I am not sure why they were there but we had a lot of fruit flies and it was getting really annoying. Within minutes of putting this out there was one on the mouth of it and then it went in. We switched around from place to place depending on where we saw them the most, we weren't sure how well it was working because we still saw fruit flies around, but after about a week we picked the trap up and looked underneath it and could see the thing was full of them, see photo posted. It definitely works, and we would definitely recommend it. I guess it makes sense that the folks that make our first choice in ant control would make another great bug control product like this one.
review image
on July 31, 2013
I live in an apartment, so sometimes I feel it's impossible to avoid fruit flies. I haven't had a full-blown infestation in years, but there always seemed to be just 1 or 2 fruit flies zipping by every day. I've tried making my own fruit fly traps in the past, and I think it's really a balance of the container size and just the right amount of liquid (people often recommend apple cider vinegar - I've use tequila with decent success). Is it cheaper to make your own traps? Definitely. It always will be. However, it can sometimes be a pain to find the right sized container, especially since I'd rather throw a trap away instead of reusing it (the thought of all those little dead flies makes me not want to wash them down the sink).

I purchased the TERRO fruit fly trap because I've had a lot of success with their ant traps (an absolute must have if you have an ant infestation). I was inititally disappointed - I still saw that 1 fruit fly every night. However, after about a week, I noticed that I was no longer seeing that 1 fly zipping by. When I checked the trap, there were already several dead ones at the bottom. This trap is small and brightly colored so it's not an eye sore on your kitchen counter. It's marketed as only good for 30 days which is about how long it takes for the liquid inside to evaporate. The liquid level is really easy to monitor and for the morbid curiousity in you, the dead fruit flies are readily visible (so you really know it's working).

I'm not sure I would recommend this fruit fly trap if you have a serious infestation as it would be pretty costly to set up several at once (and you likely would want more immediate results). However, for the sort of occasional fruit fly situation, this trap is really perfect. Buy it from Amazon (or in stores if you can find it) once a month and just let it sit out on the counter.