Top positive review
3 people found this helpful
Great for travel (and expanding your office internet without IS dept knowing!)
on December 28, 2012
I purchased two travel routers and am quite impressed by their abilities.
The two uses I recommend:
1. A wifi network for your hotel room. I travel frequently am am frustrated by the poor wifi signal that I receive in many rooms--I rarely get a good signal. This travel router connects to the wired internet in my room and then allows me to wirelessly connect my iPhone, iPad and computer. All with a strong signal! Plus, I don't have to argue with the front desk at checkout when they try to charge me for three connections instead of one.
2. A wifi network for your office. My office building offers wifi, but it has really poor coverage in my cube area. I can switch to 3G on my iPhone (but that's a little slow) and I have the cheaper iPad without any cellular connection. This travel router allowed me to create my own little wifi network for my cube, it's fantastic!
Some quick notes for folks that purchase the product:
* Use the "AP mode" if you want to connect multiple devices wirelessly
* Set it up at home before you go to a hotel--just avoid the panic
* Don't throw out the CD-ROM--it has the "AP mode" instruction manual on it which you will need for setup
* Setup is very easy if you follow the directions, which are in clear english and include good illustrations
* AP mode allows you to set a network password, but I don't think you can hide your network (make it undiscoverable); that was secure enough for me!
* I didn't expect to like the carrying-case that it came with but it's pretty good quality and perfect for leaving in your suitcase
* The price is fantastic, really fantastic!!