Industrial Deals Beauty Summer Reading STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Book House Cleaning _fof _fof _fof  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now toystl17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 177 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 195 reviews
The manufacturer commented on the review below
on April 28, 2014
After getting this router a couple of years ago, I am able to set it up at home just fine. On the road it's a completely different story... I've only gotten it to connect one time, and then it worked brilliantly. The other times it just either fails to connect, even when staying at the same hotel with prior success. I've gone through all the troubleshooting, rest it a bajillion times, and looked up every hack or trick I could find. Nada.

Using with Macbook Pros and a stunning variety of routers.

The size is awesome, and at home it is fantastic in router and access point modes. But I have little to no need of it at home... In the trash it goes.
22 comments|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 28, 2012
I purchased two travel routers and am quite impressed by their abilities.

The two uses I recommend:

1. A wifi network for your hotel room. I travel frequently am am frustrated by the poor wifi signal that I receive in many rooms--I rarely get a good signal. This travel router connects to the wired internet in my room and then allows me to wirelessly connect my iPhone, iPad and computer. All with a strong signal! Plus, I don't have to argue with the front desk at checkout when they try to charge me for three connections instead of one.

2. A wifi network for your office. My office building offers wifi, but it has really poor coverage in my cube area. I can switch to 3G on my iPhone (but that's a little slow) and I have the cheaper iPad without any cellular connection. This travel router allowed me to create my own little wifi network for my cube, it's fantastic!

Some quick notes for folks that purchase the product:
* Use the "AP mode" if you want to connect multiple devices wirelessly
* Set it up at home before you go to a hotel--just avoid the panic
* Don't throw out the CD-ROM--it has the "AP mode" instruction manual on it which you will need for setup
* Setup is very easy if you follow the directions, which are in clear english and include good illustrations
* AP mode allows you to set a network password, but I don't think you can hide your network (make it undiscoverable); that was secure enough for me!
* I didn't expect to like the carrying-case that it came with but it's pretty good quality and perfect for leaving in your suitcase
* The price is fantastic, really fantastic!!
on April 14, 2011
Top Line: I am really impressed with this WiFi travel router. Feature-packed, easy-to-use, all at a good value. However, device configuration HTML pages do not work in iPhone/iPad Safari browser - configure the router before you go.

The details:
I found out 3 days before departing to a Mexico Club Med that Wifi was limited to the main patio/pool area, and only wired internet was available in the rooms. Quick research told me there was no device (short of a laptop) to hard-wire connect my iPhone and iPad to the Club's internet, so a travel WiFi hotspot was the way to go. I chose the TRENDnet Travel router based on the reviews, size, kit components and price, and it did not disappoint.

I received it the day before we left, and was a bit confused by the many possible modes of operation mentioned briefly in the quick-setup guide. I decided to just plug it into my home network and see if my iPhone could access the internet right out of the box. Sure enough, with no configuration of the TRENDnet at all, my iPhone connected quickly and accessed web pages without a problem.

At Club Med, I plugged the TRENDnet into the hotel room's internet connector. After a few moments of powering up, I turned on my iPhone, made a WiFi connection to the TRENDnet router, and after a few seconds, was prompted with a Club Med web page to enter my passcode (Club Med charges about $10/day for internet access and requires a login procedure.) I logged in and was immediately e-mailing photos back home and making Skype calls.

Why Qualified Success? The TRENDnet router's configuration HTML pages can be accessed using a browser, but it only partially loaded on the iPhone/iPad's Safari browser, and I couldn't get past the device's login page. For most users this is not a problem. My recommendation, though: Before you travel, hook the TRENDnet up to your home network, login into the device's configuration page (needs to use a wireless connection from a computer), and change the default password so that someone in a neighboring hotel room doesn't hack your router. Just run through the Wizard to quickly set this up.

For further security, I suggest configuring a password for the router, to keep others from using it without permission. In the configuration menu, go to Setup -> Wireless and look for "Wireless Security Mode". I use "Enable WPA2 Wireless Security" and selected an appropriate password. (At this point, the device resets, and you will need to reconfigure your computer's WiFi connection to the TrendNet with this password to connect again.) The user manual on the provided disk should give detailed instructions. When you connect with your iPhone or iPad, it will prompt you for this passcode (just the first time - it remembers) and then connect when you enter it. Again, play with this at home before your trip, so there are no surprises.

Bottom line: This device worked well, packed easily, setup simply and was priced well. I highly recommend it!
on March 21, 2012
This works great once you get it up and running. I'm reasonably computer savvy, but spent way too long on the set-up for this. If you don't care about security, you can pretty much use it out of the box, but that's not what I wanted to do, especially while traveling. As others have mentioned, you should get into the Admin menu and enable WPA2 for this device. I found that some advanced default settings were not compatible with some of my other hardware. For example, the unit defaults to working with only other 'N' wifi units, instead of being backwards capable with 'B', 'G', and 'N'. You need to closely read the instructions on the enclosed CD's manual to catch this. The unit shipped with 2009 firmware. Updating that was problematic since even the CD does not give enough information on how to accomplish this. Fortunately, phone tech support was knowledgeable. For example, the unit's mode selector must be in 'AP' during the firmware upgrade. This detail is not in the manual. I also had to get into my PC's Network Connections / IP/TCP protocol menu and enter IP and subnet mask values provided by tech support. Maybe you're well-versed on this type of stuff, but I know I've owned other hardware which accomplished firmware upgrades easier that this. Finally, after upgrading the firmware, tech support said I must go back into the admin menu and select 'restore factory default settings' for the upgrade to take effect. Great...now I've got to go back and change some things a second time. Get my drift?
on September 15, 2014
Works greats! Got it at a great price!

I have been looking for a wireless n bridge for quite a while. Most of the currently available n bridges are quite expensive. However, this little device is the answer to my prayers. It works great and is easy to configure.

One of the things that makes this a great find is that this device can be used in three modes;
(1) Client Mode (Bridge). Allows devices with only wired LAN capability to access wireless b/g/n networks.
(2) Router Mode. Works as a wireless b/g/n router to share a LAN connection with other wireless devices.
(3) Access Point (AP) Mode. Works as an access point for an existing wireless network. (If you don't know what how an AP works, do some research online to learn about AP before you use it.)

The only "problem" that I have with this device is that the LAN port only supports 10/100 wired Ethernet communications. This introduces a bottleneck because the wireless n can run at 300MB and must be slowed to 100MB for the wired LAN. However, this is currently a minor problem for me.

I like this router/bridge/AP so much, I have now bought two! (I may even buy a third.)
The manufacturer commented on the review below
on January 9, 2014
When I first fired it up, the LAN light only blinked once when I plugged in the supplied RJ46 cable. Then I found out that if I pressed in hard on it while I plugged it in, the light started working, a little. I plugged in an old RJ45 cable and the LAN light came on full time. It would have been difficult to figure out if I did not have an old cable to try. The instructions are not very good. It took me maybe an hour or 2 of trial and error to get it working as a basic wifi node. I had to do a hard reset once because I could not get the basic security key working. I ended up using the (first) enhanced WPA security mode that finally worked. Just entered a simple easy 8 digit security code.
The tew-654tr speed is very good, about 50% faster than the verizon wifi provided, (when connected to the wifi part of router) I use used OOKLA speedtest on my ipad mini to test both wifi sources. Trendnet 35 Mbps vs. 18 Mbps on the verizon wifi (both within a foot of the wifi sources). The range is maybe half as far as on the verizon wifi, which should be expected in such a small unit. It reaches through one wall in our house ok, to about 30 feet away. Heading to a Kauai hotel next week to see how it goes. Most of the old hotels/cabins we like to stay in only have wired internet, so now we should be in pretty good shape. My sons Android phone connects to the unit fine, as does my wifi only ipad.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 17, 2012
I live in the UK but need a travel router sometimes in the US when staying in hotels that have wired-only networks. So, I ordered this from the US Amazon site on a recent visit there - partly because the price is better than in the UK and partly because I'd get a US power cord rather than the much larger UK one, with which I'd then have to use an adapter. Now I'm back in the UK I thought I'd try it out and I have to say it seems to work well (connected to my home network) and is extremely simple to get working with the default settings. The router itself is tiny - even smaller than I imagined, which is important when travelling.

I would have rated it 5-stars but for two things, which others have commented on:

1. The power-supply is 110v only. This is unbelievable, given that it's billed as a "travel router" and most of the rest of the world uses 220v power. I don't know what made me even check before plugging it in - I could easily have fried it, as these days all devices seem to come with dual voltage power supplies. As others have suggested, I used it successfully with an iPad power supply.

2. The main reason I need wireless when travelling is that I no longer take a laptop - relying instead on my Android smartphone and iPad. Although these work fine with the default settings when accessing the web, e-mail, apps etc., they don't work with the device's own configuration panels. Of course, I can just use default settings, or change the settings at home before leaving - e.g. to configure wi-fi security - but I don't like the fact that once I'm away from home I won't be able to change any settings that I might want to, such as the wifi channel. [***Please note: see my update below - Trendnet seem to have fixed this problem with the latest firmware]

My other small criticism concerns the case that comes with it. I like the fact that it comes with a case but it's rather big and heavy compared to the router itself, undoing some of the benefit of the latter's compactness. To put numbers on this, I've just weighed the various components as follows: TEW-654TR: 53g, USB + ethernet cables: 51g, power supply: 78g, case: 110g. It's a nice solid, protective case, but maybe too good.

Overall, it's a great little product, with a couple of issues that may not bother you at all.

Update April 22nd, 2012:

After writing this, I updated the firmware to the latest level (1.10.12), which was also quite easy to do, and I find that I can now log on to the configuration panels from my iPad. So, well done Trendnet for addressing this serious issue. My only serious criticism now is the single-voltage power supply, which I still find astonishing. All the power adapters I own for cameras, laptops, kindle, mp3 players, iPods, iPads, iPhones, work with both voltages - and none of them have "travel" in their actual product names. Strange.

I'd like to update my rating to 4.5 but of course it has to be 4 or 5, so I think I must leave it as 4.
on April 30, 2014
UPDATE 9-May-2014: A hard reset followed by a firmware update seems to have fixed the problem noted below. If your unit begins failing, you might try this to recover it.

I've had this router for a couple of years, and it's worked quite well. It's recently begun failing intermittently, losing the connection to wireless devices. A power cycle fixes it for a while, and then the problem returns. A previous model, with identical packaging from a different manufacturer, also failed after a couple years, which is why I bought this as a replacement.

When I use this device, it's for heavy network traffic over long days in (climate controlled) field locations. I've seen similar failures in hotel use, though, when trying to stream video or make large file transfers. I get the impression the problem may be heat related, but haven't tried to cool the device (beyond powering it off) to see if it returns to normal operation.

Since the device worked for many months, I can still recommend it. While it works, it works well. Just consider it a "consumable," and expect to replace it periodically.
on January 20, 2012
Setup is easy if you know what you're doing. The directions are straight forward, but inherently leaves this access point open. You'll need to go into the settings and at the very least, turn on the passphrase. Get this thing setup prior to your trip so the only thing you'll have to worry about is connecting it to the hotel landline. This thing is compact and comes with a nice case. The option to power this via USB (to your laptop) and the ability to change the access type is a great feature. You really can't lose.
on June 27, 2012
How many times have I stayed in a hotel and either been zapped with the "one device per room" bit or, "wired access only" or, "we're sorry but the signal strength is just low in your room"...?

After my last experience overseas with wifi issues, I decided to look into a small travel router. I've spent a LOT of time in hotels. Good Internet services are hit or miss. This takes the miss out of the equation.

This device is a full blown wifi router with all the same security and features of units that I have in my home and recommend to others for their own homes. It even has content filter, MAC address security, WPA/WPA2, a DMZ and the port translation. This is just one of those things where you just can't go wrong. I recently had 3 iPads, 3 iPods, an iPhone and a PC all running through its wifi connection with zero issues.

If you have a family and travel, this unit let's you set up a single configuration on your devices and forget about it. Once I had my equipment signed onto it once, they always found it on their own when I needed it.

It's also tiny and comes with a small carrying case so it transports easily.

Long made short - if you travel, even occasionally, save yourself the headache and buy one. You'll be happy you did.