Industrial Deals HPC Best Books of the Year Holiday Dress Guide nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. Electronics Gift Guide $54.99 for a limited time only Try it first with samples Handmade Gift Shop Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Echo Devices starting at $29.99 Save $30 on All-New Fire HD 8. Limited-time offer. $20 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

This was an early release game for the PS3 and not too shabby of a game either. I like the fact that it is a 3D release and that was a major factor in my decision in buying this game. The 3D aspect brings an added element of realism to the game. The 3D was done quite well and does not have any ghosting that is sometimes found with other games that are also played in 3D. The game itself requires you to have a set of MOVE controllers and ALSO the Playstation Camera. The controllers are used to determine your boxing style and moves and then the camera is needed to help track your movements and assists in dodging and or blocking your opponent. The game moves along fairly quick and gives you bosses that must be beat in order to progress through the game. These bosses can be a bit of a challenge, as each boss has it's own fighting style. You will be able to learn more advanced boxing styles as you progress through the game. If you progress through the game far enough, then eventually you will find yourself going online to play against other players.

The game provides a decent upper body workout. The controllers are fairly responsive to your input and I found myself really getting the hang of it. However it is kind of repetitive as boxing just tends to be. You may find yourself getting a tad bored after a few repetitive rounds as I did. However I do enjoy the game and find myself going back to it for a quick match or two just to break up the monotony of my other games.

As it is now priced ($15) it really is a heck of a deal. If you have a set of MOVE controllers and a camera I say buy it and try it out. If you decide that you don't like it well then for only $15 you haven't lost much. And if you have a 3D TV then this will be a nice addition to your 3D Game lineup!

I am removing 1 star for the fact that only 12 levels are avail. and another star because this really just wasn't a GREAT game. Enjoyable yes, just not a GREAT game. I will say that I really enjoyed the 3D aspect though! We really need more 3D games!
on January 20, 2015
I somehow fell for all the 5 star reviews.

After playing the game myself for a few days, and reading more in-depth around to find more reviews, I'm seeing my exact same problems pretty much everywhere... except for the 5 star reviews here, which somehow seem to have had the exact opposite experience from... everybody else that's ever played this game.

To start with, jabs... almost work. They go where you expect them to roughly half the time, which is an extremely high rate for this game. Unfortunately, they have virtually no effect, as you'll often get pounded within milliseconds of your jab landing, even if you're throwing particularly snappy ones.

Uppercuts have a similar accuracy rate to jabs, but they actually do seem to have some effect. The one effective fighting method I've found against tougher opponents that move inside is repeated left uppercuts as they try for your body.

Hooks just... I don't even know what's going on. Even in the target practice mode, with multiple attempts so you can adjust from what you just threw, and power and form having virtually zero effect on results... it's incredibly hard to hit the glove he's holding out where your hook should naturally go. Missed by an inch too low? Swing an inch higher, and you miss the 10 inch pad by 5 inches above it. That is, of course, assuming we're talking about the left hand. Throwing a hook with the right hand will convince you your character is actually a velociraptor as you paw at the air inches away from your chest.

Which brings me to the real disaster-- the straight right hand. (Also the overhead right hand, the right hook, pretty much anything involving the right hand.) I swear I could build a ps move cannon that fires the controller directly at the camera, if it was representing the right hand it would still flail harmlessly a few inches forward and roughly 1-2 feet below where it was aimed. It's just completely out of whack. I've tried everything I can possibly think of, even going so far as to go past square to have my right hand farther forward than my left while fighting right-handed, I cannot get it to do anything remotely near what I'm doing with my right hand. It's like your character's right arm is suffering from whatever causes lazy eyes, except, you know, in your arm. It's 8 years old, it does what it wants. And apparently, what it wants is to cop a feel on your opponent's left shoulder. A LOT.

I've tried everything I can think of, from throwing the hardest punches i can using proper form, to using the ridiculously squared and badly formed mechanics Trejo uses in the instructionals, to attempt to ensure that turning my punches over isn't making it think I'm punching differently. It just doesn't matter what I do, my character flails aimlessly. I even took into account the reviews that explained away inaccuracies by saying you needed to train your fighter, and pumped most of my points into "technique" (which determines accuracy according to the game) from the start.

On the "plus" side, you can spam the hammer fist to win all the early fights (hold trigger and move right controller up and down, doesn't matter where you aim or anything) to get more "dirty" moves (yes, a hammer fist is somehow a dirty move in this game), and then spam rotations of them to win the later fights. It's still kind of a work out, but it's extremely boring.

If this game was the game the 5 star reviews say it is, it would be fantastic. It's not.
on November 5, 2012
Hands movement tracking is very accurate, it's pretty much 1:1. But boxing is more than just throwing punches, body movement is a vital part of boxing. This is where this game falls short. In order to track the hands accurately, you have to be stationary. Your feet have to lock in the spot where camera registered your body at the beginning of calibration, otherwise the accuracy of tracking goes out the window. It can't track body's forward and backward movement through the Move, you have to push button on the Move controller to move forward and backward.

Imagine you're in a boxing match where you can't move your feet and have to push buttons to move your body forward and backward. Basically you're throwing punches while standing around. So you can't call it 1:1. Having that said, it is one of the best boxing game around and it will give you a good cardio workout.

Pros:
- very accurate hands tracking
- Excellent graphics

Cons
- Feet can't move around, which is an unnatural way to box/fight.
- limited body movement tracking

PS Move Cons:
- it doesn't work in a bright environment. (My living room gets a tone of sun light during the day, I had to close the blinds for it to work)
- it doesn't work well in a small space. Camera has to be at least 5-6'away for it to work right.
on October 2, 2014
At first I thought this game was a disappointment because it wasn't that accurate as I thought it would be. Be after a few fights I realized that the problem wasn't the game but me. The calibration might be a little confusing at first and when you play your character and your punches looks retarded. After trying and trying I could calibrate the game so the character track my moves pretty well. Also you got to upgrade your fighter skills to make him a better fighter. Something I did not knew. This will make you think the game sucks but it don't. While you increase your fighter stats you'll see how the fighter can fight more like you and your punches will actually land the opponent and really hurt him. This game is a lot of fun. Also it makes you sweat as hell. It's awesome, worth every penny. Excellent game and excellent workout. I haven't tried the online yet, I have that feeling that my ass is going to get kicked.
on November 21, 2010
The FIGHT Lights Out is such a fun game once you figure out what you're doing, which for me was hitting the training area to gain skills so I could upgrade my fighters power and skill in order to compete adequately in the actual matches. The head tracking feature is spotty when I play in the evening with incandescent lighting, and it's a bit difficult getting used to fighting with your feet planted in one position on the floor - overall it is a BRILLIANT game.

This game in particular makes the purchase of the PS3 move controllers worthwhile and, no doubt, when and if they come out with another version of this game I'll be on the bandwagon. Perfect for couch potato video game players to stand up and feel that they are part of the game, especially for those of us who could use a fun way to get in some extra workout activity. The first day playing this, I was huffing and puffing - something I rarely achieve in ordinary gym workouts. I could really feel the muscles in my shoulders and mid/upper back section the next day after playing, too.

While some folks wouldn't get a street fighting game such as this for their kids, adults will love this - and if you do purchase it for your kids - it's highly unlikely they will be on the road to using the fighting skills developed in an actual street fight. It's a game! Yet it's a subjective and personal call as to whether you feel it would be appropriate for your own kid(s) - since my kids are allowed to play first person shooters where they battle bosses with weapons and fighting I personally don't see the difference and it gets them off their butts twiddling their fingers and thumbs on the road to possible carpel tunnel and weight gain. My opinion might not be yours, but... growing up watching the 3 Stooges pummel each other never made me behave that way or think doing anything they did was appropriate in real life, anymore than I thought Fred Flintstones foot powered car was a viable option on the road.

Get off your butt and buy the PS3 game! My money is on the Fight Lights Out for becoming one of the most popular titles for the PlayStation Move.
55 comments| 7 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on May 6, 2014
Since its release, early adopters of the PlayStation Move have been looking for new experiences tailored to mature and core audiences. The Fight: Lights Out is Sony's first real attempt to cater the PS Move towards these markets by providing violent and gritty bare-knuckle boxing action. Is this game a contender? Or is it destined to take a beating?

Starting with a fairly robust character-creation mode, the game immediately follows into a series of unintentionally-hilarious video tutorials hosted by none other than 'Machete himself', actor Danny Trejo. These videos manage to perfectly set the tone for everything else to come -- but not in a good way. From the gritty urban setting to an angry Trejo speaking as if he is passing a kidney stone, the game fails to muster any kind of edginess. It tries to be so tough, but watching Trejo teach you how to fight in an aggressively over-the-top way while waving hot pink and baby blue-lit PS Move controllers, makes it completely impossible to take seriously. The tutorial ends up being much more of a gut-buster than the fighting could ever hope to be. You'll be down for the count, but probably because you're rolling with laughter.

After undertaking a laborious calibration process (which happens before every single fight), Trejo will take you step-by-step through all of the basics you will need to learn in order to handle yourself in a fight. These include moving your fighter, ducking and weaving, blocking and throwing punches. These are all fairly self-explanatory, aside from the need to press buttons for certain actions that really shouldn't need buttons. You'd think that blocking would be as simple as holding your dukes up towards your face, but many times we would lose calibration and would have to hold the O button on the PS Move to calibrate the fighter in the right direction again. This can feel extremely unnatural and it'll take some time to get used to pressing it before you think about throwing your hands up.

Throwing punches seems like something that'd work quite naturally with the PS Move controller. Unfortunately, this isn't the case. No matter how hard and fast you throw your punches, your on-screen counterpart moves with the speed and precision of a blindfolded senior citizen trying to whack a piñata. I kept finding that while some of the time my punches would hit their target, I'd also have a frustrating amount of my punches go way off the mark. It also doesn't help that even when your punches do connect, they are weak and ineffectual.

Moving your fighter involves holding down the Move button and tilting one of your Move controllers either to the sides or forward (Trejo's deadly serious demonstration of how this works is sensational). As the game requires you to stand in the same spot for the entirety of the fight, moving around at all will cause the camera to misplace you, making your punches even more inaccurate than they already are. Add to this the fact that most of opponents keep just walking backwards, or other classic fighting tactics, such as constantly walking around you in a circle and you will be spending much of the fight not punching with one hand because you're holding your controller forward in an effort to catch up.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on November 24, 2010
Wow....

I turned my back on this game as soons as IGN and other gaming sites scored this games below average; to be honest even before, when the first impressions and hand-on were published.

I forgot this game until found out, searching on the top games on Amazon, that this game was havinf an average 4.5 stars over 5 because of users reviews. I started reading the reviews and to be true all the gamers here convinced me to buy this game, and you know what, there is no regret on that decision.

Even on PS3Forums, the forums I use to visit, there was a thread highlighting that this game was wrongly reviewed, which I agree 100%.

First of all, this game ain't an arcade type of fighting, if you are looking for something easy, where you can perform special moves and things like that, the THIS IS NOT YOUR GAME, you should read carefully the reviews, this is a simulation game, more especificlly, a fighting simulation game; as so, yo have to block, move your character back whe you are near your enemy to perform a good hit, things you can normally imagine on a real fight.

This game is also aimed to be evaluated as a fitness game, it estimates the calories lost during fights and how much you have accumulated. Which is goog, for I guy like me, who works, want to do some exersises and doesn't want to spend time traveling to a gym. Yeah, you'll get swet near the end of your first two matches, this shows you how good it is.

If you are looking for simulation, a real fighting simulation, where you are better when you practice and get fit, the this is your game. Best fighting simulation on the market.
on November 15, 2010
I'll not go into details of the game because it's been review by others here but I have to say the game is extremely accurate and to people who have problem with calibration, it's most likely human error or lighting. I find that low to med light will not do well with this game. for one, the game tracks both your hands with the move controller and your head but head tracking works best with good lighting. as far as hand tracking, this is by far the best I have seen. Calibration is really easy. you calibrate your punches, your hand distance apart and your guard. I have played through the first few fighters at full speed and it didn't miss one of my punches. Even when I went wild with haymakers or short quick hooks, it registered all of it. straight jabs and uppercuts works best when your opponent have their guards up. at times, my punches were so fast that when i do a jab and right hook combo, the jab would hit the opponent and his head would go back and my hook would miss because his head didn't return to position. hopefully they will fix this problem because a jab should fling your opponents head all the way back that much, it's not a power punch but more a setup for a power punch. there's a lot more but I'll let you guys figure it out, like training your character, building endurance, health, muscle or power,etc.

ok, the things i don't like about this game.
1. your character blocks the view of your opponents.. wtf.. whenever your opponent ducks down, you can't see anything or what he's trying to do and doing a body hook doesn't work too well because most of the time, he's got his guard up. the really need to clear the player's character to see through to the opponent.
on February 7, 2011
I picked up the Playstation Move a few months ago and bought Sports Champions. I was looking for games that used move in an interesting way. I started reading about The Fight and it was not a full priced game so I thought I'd give it a shot. I'm extremely glad that I did. In The Fight, you hold two move controllers so that the game can track your movements. It's a one on one fighting game where you have to knockout the opponent. The game has a ton of fights, each area has a pyramid of fighters, the "boss" being at the top.

The calibration can apparently be a bit wonky but I didn't have any problems with it. You need the right light to get it working. The game also has head tracking which can sometimes be a pain however I had one ceiling light and the head tracking worked great. It allows you to bob left and right and to dip. This game is also a great workout. I was incredibly sore for many days after the first time I put it in.

I've heard complaints that the game doesn't mimic your movements exactly. It does, however you have to train your fighter doing exercises which give you points you can use to increase attributes like strength, stamina, speed, etc. In your first fight you will NOT be able to punch as fast as you can in real life and it won't be that accurate. You need to level up your fighter. Once you start leveling up your stats your fighter will more accurately match your movements and the game starts to feel amazing. It's a lot of fun and the low price makes this a must buy for anyone who thinks this type of game sounds fun.

Note that you need two move controllers to play this.
on February 17, 2012
Okay it is not a perfect game. Let's talk about negatives first.

First, they made it RPG. Meaning when you first start your fighter is weakling. It is all good if it was button pressing game. But here you get up and use your whole upper body. Initially no matter how fast you punch, your fighter on screen feels like an old man swinging his arm.

Second, so you have to gain skill points that you can assign to various attributes such as speed, power... In most, RPG's you gain skill or experience points for fighting. But in this game you have to hit the training area where you can train with punching bags, and spar with trainers. This is really boring. You don't get any skill points for regular fighting.

Third, you can purchase fighter attributes. Each attribute is only $1 but my guess is that it raises each attribute by 1 point. There are 5 categories of attributes. Each attribute can be raised all the way to 100 points. This is just such a cheap way to make extra money. I haven't done it but it seems unfair that some people will bypass going to training center and spend a few hundred dollars to beef up their fighters.

And lastly, yes move detection is not 100% but I say it is near 90% accurate. Calibration is never an issue for me.

Now the good part. Game is actually very fun and addicting. Fight moves look very real. It really works my shoulders. My wife says my shoulders are getting wide. I feel totally exhausted after the fights. After I beat the game then I can fight online. Also I don't train (for skill points) unless I really have to. This adds more challenge to each fight. But I plan to max out all attributes of my fighter before hitting online Ranked Matches :)

You can wait for a perfect fighting game or you can start having fun now.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.