Amazon Vehicles Beauty STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Home Gift Guide Father's Day Gifts Home Gift Guide Shop Popular Services masterpiece masterpiece masterpiece  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis Trade it in. Fund the next. Spring Savings Event on Amazon.com toystl17_gno

Format: Audio CD|Change

Showing 1-10 of 92 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 106 reviews
Vince is familiar to many for his innovative scores to, of all things, 1960s era Charlie Brown specials. Those numbers are famous and iconic. When you hear them you can see the scenes from the cartoons, and smile.

But Guaraldi's highly recognizable style goes well beyond those timeless classics, and on this album you can experience a wealth of new and entertaining material you may have never heard before unless you've been a collector of Guaraldi albums. Of particular interest to me was his cover of Moon River. Mancini's unmistakable style melding with Guaraldi's unmistakable style. LOL The only comparison I can make is that if you like ketchup, and you like mustard, and you put both on a hot dog - you can taste them both individually - but in combination they combine into something uniquely delightful.

This selection covers classic jazz, big band, latin, and Guaraldi's own contributions, all in his distinctive and very enjoyable style.

Highly recommended.
on December 20, 2012
For those who only know Guaraldi because he did the music for the Charlie Brown specials -- if you love that, you owe it to yourself to get to know the rest of his work - and this is an excellent collection, as implied in the title of the 2-CD set (read the liner notes for more about him - it added to MY enjoyment and will probably do likewise for you).

For Guaraldi fans wondering about this particular selection - bite the bullet and buy. It's a keeper.

If your taste in jazz runs to the more "cerebral" I'm surprised you are on this page to begin with - this music has a clear "beat" influenced by his fondness for Latin rhythms, with clearly identifiable themes, even when he vamps. (Try it - you REALLY might like it when Vince is at the keyboard - his musicianship is impressive).

I don't have the chops to write an in-depth review for the serious jazz collector, but I must agree with many of the reviews here - I'm crazy about this album and can't imagine anyone investigating Guaraldi to begin with being disappointed if you purchase.

I WILL add the following peculiar endorsement:

Although I enjoy a wide variety of music styles, my preference is jazz, so it is what I play most and buy most often. This album has seen frequent play since I picked it up -- even more than his CB Christmas special, significant since I'm writing this review in December. This collection includes those tunes along with others that are "fresher" to my ears, since CB Christmas is a well worn and much loved star of my VAST collection of Christmas music of all types. (I'm told I'm a bit over-the-top throughout the Christmas season, and you will rarely hear ANY non-Christmas music at my house from Thanksgiving to Twelfth Night).

Madelyn Griffith-Haynie, CMC, SCAC, MCC
- ADD Coaching Field co-founder -
(blogs: ADDandSoMuchMore and ADDerWorld - dot com!)
"It takes a village to transform a world!"
on April 24, 2016
I am not a Vince Guaraldi or jazz expert, but I love this CD set. I have always loved the music he did for Peanuts specials, so I figured why not?

This is a great mix. I love the Latin-influenced material as well. This is a very accessible album. You do not need to be a hardcore Jazz lover to enjoy it. If you like what you have heard from his work on some of the Peanuts shows, you will probably like this. The styles vary some, but there is something in all his work that make it distinctly Vince Guaraldi.
on September 14, 2014
A fantastic broad brush of Vince's different modes ( Dr.Funk, Peanuts, and many forms of Jazz.). Older and newer stuff. All good to my ears. GET THIS ONE FIRST to see what you like then search and buy the source albums later. I grew up in the 1960's hearing my Mom play Brasil '66,etc.........but Vince's Christmas Jazz tunes REALLY grabbed my heart strings and started my foot tapping to music. Many Jazz fans of my generation owe a debt of gratitude to Vince for his genius and effort. He took Jazz out of a smoke filled lounge,through console TVs, into the homes of millons of cozy Christmas living rooms! In a very classy way. An American Master. Thanks Vince and family.
on November 3, 2016
I am a jazz fan, but not the amelodic, arythmic cerebral type. This is an extension of the Charlie Brown Soundtrack. It puts a smile on your face.
This is good for relaxing inn the office or at home. The sound is very simple, a very '60s feel to it. No synthesizers, drum machine, sampling.
Just good music.
on November 27, 2014
Between the CD's and the liner notes, this two-disc set gives a wonderful picture of Guraldi's career. I knew he had had a big hit with "Cast Your Fate to the Wind", but I didn't know that Guaraldi had played with so many great musicians before he became famous himself for the pieces he wrote for the Peanuts TV series. Especially enlightening to me was the placement of "Linus and Lucy" so close on the heels of "El Matador", which was obviously its inspiration. This is a wonderful collection for both jazz fans and for fans of the Charlie Brown TV shows.
on December 22, 2013
I ran across Vince Guaraldi some years ago on a trim to the West Coast. Among his many accomplishments he wrote the music for the Peanuts Christmas TV special. But far befor that he and his trio were well known on the West Coast, for their close harmony, great riffs and smooth style. Put on one of his CD's or MP-3's and just sit back and let yourself relax and go into cruise mode. Try some of his other recordings also. He was a very accomplished player. his album (2 disc's) is a good starting place, but certainly not an ending! Give his music a try and you will be hooked. I have this on my car player, just great for the traffic waits fits and starts. You will stay laid back and relaxed!
on September 22, 2016
It's nice to hear him play something other than the Peanuts music, Enjoyed it very much***
on December 31, 2012
You may be a Charlie Brown fan or just a fan of the Christmas Charlie Brown music. Then again you may be a jazz fan. This compilation album is all of that and more. If you are buying this album chances are you like something that you have heard from Guaraldi before and wanted to get his best (biggest?) works all in a "one-stop" shopping purchase. That was me. While I am a fan of CB and jazz music both, I found this album to be so much more than just the few Peanuts gems that I bought it for originally.

Buy it for the ones you know and enjoy the rest of what Mr. Guaraldi had to offer the music world. You won't regret it.
on April 21, 2017
Vince Guaraldi is a genius when it comes to jazz!