Amazon Business Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Luxury Beauty March Birthstone Shop Popular Services GimmeDanger GimmeDanger GimmeDanger  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis Elton John Tackle Any Terrain with Cycling on Amazon STEM

Showing 1-10 of 2,584 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 2,809 reviews
on February 28, 2015
I immediately changed the strap to a brown leather one with deployment clasp. Makes the watch very classy. Almost like a Hamilton. For the price, I am bee impressed!
review image review image review image review image review image
1212 comments| 213 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 12, 2012
I purchased this watch as my first foray into mechanical watches, knowing that it was a budget watch with excellent credentials, and calibrating my expectations to this. I have not been disappointed.

First things first, this watch is NOT a Japanese movement, and buyers should not expect a Japanese movement, regardless of what Amazon's description may say; I did not, at this price point. The movement is designed by Seiko in Japan, but produced in Malaysia, and the markings on the watch clearly indicate this. I have contacted Amazon about this, but they do not seem to show any interest in correcting their ad copy. Caveat emptor.

The movement in this watch as purchased in January of 2012 is a 7S26C.

I have been tracking the accuracy of the watch I received for about 50 days now, taking the time once a day from both the watch and a clock disciplined by the time signal transmitted by the observatory in Boulder, CO. The long-term accuracy is excellent, with an aggregate drift of 13 seconds over this time period. The daily drift is variable, with nearly 1/4 of daily readings showing no change at the second granularity, and 3/4 or more of the readings within +/- 2 seconds per day. I don't know how other units may compare to the one I received, but I am quite pleased with its performance.

The case finish seems to be plenty hard, and is very even and relatively attractive. After nearly two months of wear there are no apparent marks or dings in the finish. The crystal appears to be very hard (likewise no apparent marks there), certainly harder than the Skagen crystal I wore previously, and is very flat and not unduly prone to reflection.

I had concerns about the nylon band looking cheap, but it is reasonably classy and matches the style of the watch body. The clasp and keepers are stainless steel with a matte finish, with the clasp appearing to be cast and the keepers extruded wire. The butt joint of the wire keepers is clean and well-deburred, and of course not visible when the watch is worn.

The lume on the hands and dial is very efficient, much brighter than any watch I have previously warn (which is pretty much limited to Timex and Skagen in recent memory). It is also evenly laid. If I had a complaint about the lume, it would be that the 12 o'clock position bears the same small dot as all other positions, making it easy to read off by one hour mark if you must read the watch in an unusual position. This is not a show stopper, but it does require some care.

As others have noted regarding the 7S26 caliber, the rotor is a little bit noisy. I do notice a rattle from my wrist from time to time going about my daily business. On the other hand, it is plenty efficient. I do not consciously wind the rotor unless I have had to lay the watch aside for an extended period of time (such as when working at a particularly dirty or wet task for the better part of a day), and then I give it no more than a couple of twirls, if anything. I normally wear the watch 24/7 and I have not had any stoppages. When first starting the watch after receipt, I twirled it for 5 to 10 seconds, put it on, and didn't give it any further special attention.

All in all I feel this is an excellent introduction to mechanical watches, and a good everyday watch for the price.

Pros:
* More than adequate everyday accuracy
* Casual but not "cheap" look
* Good fit and finish, quality materials, feels solid
* Light and slim for an automatic

Cons:
* Band appears likely to be good for only about a year (time will tell)
* Occasional rattle from the winding rotor
* Malaysian movement finish is workmanlike but not particularly fine
66 comments| 201 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 4, 2016
I love it! Rather than say “price”, I will say “value”. It is an incredible value. Probably about the lowest priced Automatic (non quartz/battery) you can find.

I was interested in getting the Hamilton Khaki Field Officer Handwinding watch for around $275. While looking around for a good price, I stumbled upon this, the Seiko, and felt it would satisfy my curiosity at a good bit lower price.

It arrived fast. I was immediately impressed with the packaging. It comes nicely packed in a nice Seiko box. At this price, I really expected no frills, like maybe a bag or envelope of some type. Also, I was struck by the overall appearance. If someone told me this was a $200 watch, I would believe it. It doesn’t look cheap at all. It looks like a strong, sturdy, well made, good quality item.

The face struck me as somewhat overly crowded and busy, though interesting with different numbers and lines going every which way. I can easily read the time on it though. The hands are bold and clear.

I love the 37 mm size. As an older dude, the big watches of today are just too much for me. This is a great size for me. For a moment, I felt it was a little bit “blocky” or thick but that quickly passed, and I guess it needs the depth to accommodate the automatic movement.

Speaking of which… I read a bit about this online and understand this movement is used in many higher priced Seikos. The reviewer said it was superior to what he sees in other low priced automatics.

The crown is of note. It is not in the middle but off center and small. Sometimes, big crowns jut out and can kind of dig into my wrist. So this is very comfortable.

The brushed steel is rugged and apropos for this watch and it’s military design. It is really quite understatedly handsome.

I love the band. Though a simple piece of material, it is somewhat reinforced around the eyelets, but best of all, it fits my thick wrists comfortably. And because it is cloth, it has some give and everything combined make for an extremely comfortable feeling watch.

When I took it out of the box, it immediately started working, ignited by the little bit of movement of simply removing the watch. I know it sounds weird, but I was fascinated at seeing the second hand glide around the face so smoothly. It seemed so much cooler to me than the way the second hand moves on my Quartz watches.

It has stopped running a few times, but never when it was being worn. I may not have worn it long enough to keep it wound up and running.

I am concerned that about 10% of the reviewers cite bad experiences with the watch. That is not acceptable to me. Even though it is not high priced, I still expect some reliability and durability. Then again, I don’t know if that is realistic in an item at this price. Too bad, because it’s a honey for the money…
on June 29, 2014
I had been eyeballing this for a while as a sort of dressier alternative for my Timex and Casio sport watches for wearing to work. I like the field watch style: simple, understated, no-nonsense. I had never had an automatic before and was reluctant because of the accuracy and 30m water resistance (Seiko recommends only rain and accidental splashing). I bike to work, so I need something that can put up with sweat and rain and I can wash it off in the sink. It was cheap, so I got it anyway.

I love this watch. The second day I had it, my 5-month-old puked on it, so I washed it off in the sink. It is usually 90+ degrees on my way home from work, so it gets soaked with sweat and washed off in the sink when I get home. I showered with it (soap and all) the other day. I haven't swum with it, but I wouldn't hesitate to. I venture that the watch's actual water resistance is much higher than 30m. I've read about people taking it snorkeling and shallow diving without leaks. Something other reviewers have not mentioned is that it has a screw-down caseback, another clue that it might be more water resistant than it's rating.

If you hold the watch within 2-3 inches of your ear, you can hear it tick-tick-tick 6 times a second like on "60 minutes" and of course there's the exhibition caseback if you want to watch the balance wheel wobble back and forth.

The lume is great. It's probably twice as bright as my Casio Slim Solar, and I can still read it after being in the dark for hours. My only gripe here is that the lume on the hour markers is all the same, so you can't really tell which way 12 o'clock is, especially if you're not wearing it.

I like the nylon strap. It's tough and understated. I don't think it looks cheap, but it might be a little out of place with a suit. If you don't like it, get another one. I think it's comfortable and dries quickly, so I'll keep it.

The day and date are easy to set (pull out one click) and you can set the seconds, too, if it's not wound up too much by putting a little back pressure on the crown while setting it (Google 'back hacking watch'). It gained +13 sec the first day (against time.gov), but over the first week or so it's settled down to within -1/+5 sec a day. What more could you ask from a $50 automatic? Wow.

Update 7/20/2014: Just got back from a week at the beach; the watch didn't come off my wrist. Building sand castles, swimming in the ocean, showers, bike rides, you name it. Not a drop of water inside the case, no fogging, no scratches. I've been wearing it for a month now and it stays within -1/+1 seconds a day.
on August 11, 2015
I've read a lot of good reviews on the Seiko 5. The battery in the watch that came with my cuff band died a while back and I decided that the style of the Seiko would be perfect to replace the old watch. I found a couple similar cuff bands using the 5 but they wanted to ungodly amount of money for them, I figured for $50 I couldn't go wrong, and I'd still have a nice watch even if it didn't work.

I like watches, I have a nice Citizen A-T, a G-Shock A110, an old auto Swatch and several other cheap or smart watches. The first thing I noticed about the 5 is the weight, for a small watch it had some heft to it. Wearing it with the factory band it seemed to want to rotate on my wrist no matter how tight I had it. I don't really have this problem with my other watches. The good news is, it doesn't do that with the cuff band. It seems to keep time accurately so far although I haven't had it to long yet. I suspect this watch will last a long time if I can keep from beating it up to bad.

I'm giving the watch a 5 for now. We'll see how it holds up over the years to come.
on September 26, 2016
Klistrar in min review från Amazon.com

One of few watches nowadays that doesn't have a footprint of 42mm or above. It looks good, is scratch resistant so far and the placement of the crown is great for us left handed people since it doesnt poke right into your hand.
The strap is very cheap and it didn't last for mor than a month before starting to fray. It was also very rough and wasn't comfortable at all. Even the cheapest straps on Ebay are as comfortable than this one. With that said, it does work and looks quite OK.

However, when it comes to the most important part of a watch - keeping time - this watch doesn't keep up. It runs 5 minutes too slow or too fast every day, making it unpredictable. Some days it even runs 20-40 minutes slow despite that I wear it 24 hours every day which should keep it's motor wound up!
I really wanted to like this watch since there are so few watches smaller than 40mm but to me, a watch not being able to consistently do it's job - being a watch, is a deal breaker.

The cause could perhaps be faulty assembly, because the watch also rattles significantly. Almost all automatics rattle some, but this one gives the sound and feeling as if the entire mechanism is unproperly assembled.
on October 17, 2016
I got the watch far earlier than I had been told, so the experience started off with a pleasant surprise. The product was delivered in original Seiko packaging, presented on a pillow inside. Presentation pertaining to a much higher price, I might add. It was labeled with the MSRP of more than 180 dollars. A price that would have been fair anyway.

The watch itself sports a movement which as been used by Seiko since the 90's. So you can rest assured that the watch will keep ticking, or rather sweeping (as the automatic movement ensures a beautiful sweeping second hand as opposed to a ticking hand) for a long time to come. The movement is a tank and it has been just a few seconds a day off.

The watch itself is gorgeous. It's the size of a field watch (worn in the army by foot-soldiers) but it's dial is more like a classic aviator style with the prominent minute markers. I absolutely love the minute and hour hand, reminiscent of the propellors of old WWI era combat aircrafts. The second hand adds a touch of elegance with it's extended almost feminine shape. It's a sturdy feeling scratch resistant case which would have served well in combat as it is non reflective in the sun. The display case back gives you a glimpse of the intricate workings of the mesmerising movement, teleporting you to the mechanical era of yesteryear. The watch sits well on any wrist. It's subtle size ensures it sits well on smaller wrists, but it's intricate (but not cluttered) dial makes it feel at home even on larger wrists (like mine).

The strap, though well made, is not worth keeping. It just doesn't do the heritage of the watch design justice. I bought an aftermarket 15$ strap online and it transforms the watch. It goes from beater to eye catcher. I recommend non-nato so you can keep seeing the mechanical innards. There are so many great leather offerings to choose from. Oh also, swapping straps is super easy. Don't be scared off by the pushpin tool, it's a one time purchase which you can keep reusing and it's dirt cheap to begin with.
on May 29, 2016
Simply amazing.
I was not expecting what came out of that box to be so elegant and yet robust.
The watch keeps great time, looks amazing and feels solid.
Pros:
- Day/Date functions are handy and placed well on the face.
- The automatic movement is great and extremely accurate.
- Amazing design and flawless construction.
- Perfect size for my 6 1/2 inch wrist. Classy.
- The luminous hands are bright enough at night.

Cons:
- Terrible strap. Feels like a seatbelt. I replaced it with a leather Hadley-Roma strap and now it's so much better.
- Bit thicker than I thought it would be but it doesn't really affect it.

You need to buy this watch. It's a must-have for anyone that's either a beginner watch user or experienced.
review image review image
on January 7, 2016
I got this watch on June 22, 2015. It was an excellent watch that fit my relatively small wrist perfectly. I also liked that it was automatic. After reading several reviews and looking at several online forums, I realized that this watch is not "water resistant" up to 30 meters (99 feet). That number is a complete overstatement. This watch isn't even splash resistant. I never showered with it, shielded it when I washed my hands, and never even did laundry with it lest the wet clothes destroy it.

In November I realized that moister had miraculously gotten into the watch. It wasn't that bad and the dial only fogged up when it got hot. Overall, I was disappointed, but content to live with it. But, by the end of December the automatic mechanism inside began to rattle loudly when ever I moved. After a few days, the entire watch stopped working. Although this watch was a good looking watch, my experience with it was terrible!
on April 10, 2016
Updating...I received this in April and originally wrote a review about this, but this deserves somewhat of an update since it's already June.

Pros:
- The price is cheap for an automatic watch.
- versatile since I play sports with it on.
- water resistant

cons:
- looks minimal and cheap
- a bit fast: every 2 weeks its about 3 minutes fast.
- small band makes it hard to find an equal or better replacement

I actually love this watch as I can go anywhere with it. The only downside is that since I'm punctual to events I'm always looking at the time. I've been a bit early to a few of them as the time is a bit fast, which throws me off completely. Since I first put it on, I've never had to wind it up again besides this one time that I haven't worn it for a few days just to see how long the reserves would last. It's actually small compared to all the other automatics that I've seen besides a Bulova automatic, which makes it idea for excessive wrist movements without strain.

I can't say I can compare this watch to the other ones since I don't necessarily own other automatics as of "yet". This is the first automatic I own since I'm quite fascinated with watches and want to grow my collection. This is the beginning and I didn't want to start off with something that is over priced while I destroy it with rigorous activities.

I'll update this again, but until then...

I'd definitely recommend this watch to someone that like to open themselves up to watch collecting. Originally I used to use a timex battery watch which is probably the most accurate watch, however from time to time the battery will have to be changed. I'd tell you to start with this one to see if you would like how automatics operate before you invest too much into them.
review image review image review image